Detroit,MI
B
BADDART Offline
enthusiast
BADDART  Offline
enthusiast
B

Detroit,MI
I also have 2" blocks,SS springs,front section clamped.Car leaves straight and hard for what it is.No problems in 10 years of abuse.Also, before the SS springs I just clamped the factory spring front section and took the bands off the rear section (no lowering blocks) and the rear leaves separated to almost touching pavement on launch.Just saying I dont think the blocks cause the spring to separate any more with/without them.

4958767-Test&Tune6.jpg (54 downloads)
Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: BADDART] #197657
01/19/09 03:59 PM
01/19/09 03:59 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline OP
master
maximum entropy  Offline OP
master
M

organ
i love your car!

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: maximum entropy] #197658
01/19/09 04:00 PM
01/19/09 04:00 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
The forces at work are significant and strong enough to crush something as seemingly stout as the spring perches. Some of the guys on here where talking about it on another thread. Now I'm going to have to take mine back apart and re-enforce them...

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: BADDART] #197659
01/19/09 04:09 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
If your springs are strong enough to keep from defecting
and you have good shocks you probably wouldnt see
any difference. But with a 4-link the farther you
go from the axle centerline to the rear heim joints
the easier it is to pull the front wheels(greater
leverage) even with the IC at the same distance and height

Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: jbc426] #197660
Detroit,MI
B
BADDART Offline
enthusiast
BADDART  Offline
enthusiast
B

Detroit,MI
Thanks for the compliment Karl.The spring perches are reinforced and I use heavier ubolts.Am having a problem with the front spring mount cracking the weld though.Needs reinforcement there too.Chris

4958789-phpkYWKTcPM.jpg (51 downloads)
Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: BADDART] #197661
01/19/09 04:16 PM
01/19/09 04:16 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline OP
master
maximum entropy  Offline OP
master
M

organ
Quote:

Thanks for the compliment Karl.The spring perches are reinforced and I use heavier ubolts.Am having a problem with the front spring mount cracking the weld though.Needs reinforcement there too.Chris

i use heavier u bolts as well. are your springs moved into the frame? i did mine with the mp kit- no problems yet, but i should box the perches.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: maximum entropy] #197662
01/19/09 04:23 PM
01/19/09 04:23 PM
Detroit,MI
B
BADDART Offline
enthusiast
BADDART  Offline
enthusiast
B

Detroit,MI
Yes the springs are moved under the frame with the MP kit from about 1982.The springs are from the same era.The picture from Milan was from 2007.Chris

Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: BADDART] #197663
01/19/09 11:59 PM
01/19/09 11:59 PM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
Ok non-engineers get a pass, but you engineers need to study a little more! Many people got this right, but nobody got it for the right reason.

First of all... Lets talk basics.

Torque= Force x Distance

So if you have 500 ft-lbs of torque. That is equal to

500lbs x 1 ft

OR

1 lb x 500ft

You can easily see that with a given input torque (from the axle) the force to counteract that force gets LOWER as the length gets longer.

Practical example:
You have a tight lugnut you need to get off. It is applying a torque to stay tight. You have to counter act this torque with a wrench and a force. We all know as the wrench gets longer, the force gets smaller.

Torque=Force x Distance.

Ok now for the specific example, Maximum E. almost got it right in the begining, he was on the right track.

You can see from my example above that the longer distance would have less force on the spring (less wheel hop). So many of you are thinking, then why when I add 2" of lowering blocks does the wheel hop get worse (Just as mentioned by the old guy above who probably hasn't read this far because he only cares what he knows, not why it works)

What you need to think about though is the distance from the application of the torque center, to the point the force is being applied. In this case, the critical area for high force is near the front eye of the spring. That's because the spring is at it's weakest point with only one leaf section there.

So if you think about the geometry, the spring is in an arc. As you space the axle upwards, the axle center actually gets closer to that front eye of the spring! Think about if you were to measure from the eye of the spring straight rearward, it's a shorter distance then if you measure on the angle downward. This means as you space the axle upwards, the distance gets shorter.

Torque=force x distance.

The torque is the same no matter where you put the axle. So if you space it upwards and the distance is shorter, the Force is actually increased.

So yes, the forces on the spring get worse with the lowering blocks, but it's not because the distance get's longer, it's because it gets shorter.

Hope that's not too confusing, if anyone wants a picture (Free Body Diagram) just ask and I'll draw one up and post it...

Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: dizuster] #197664
01/20/09 12:40 AM
01/20/09 12:40 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

Ok non-engineers get a pass, but you engineers need to study a little more! Many people got this right, but nobody got it for the right reason.

Torque= Force x Distance

500lbs x 1 ft

OR

1 lb x 500ft

You can easily see that with a given input torque (from the axle) the force to counteract that force gets LOWER as the length gets longer.

Practical example:
You have a tight lugnut you need to get off. It is applying a torque to stay tight. You have to counter act this torque with a wrench and a force. We all know as the wrench gets longer, the force gets smaller.

Torque=Force x Distance.

Everything above as Stated is Correct IMO

Everything below as stated is mostly incorrect.IMO

I will give my arguements on this tommorow And its all good, I look forward to sparring with you dizuster, you know your stuff. mike

What you need to think about though is the distance from the application of the torque center, to the point the force is being applied. In this case, the critical area for high force is near the front eye of the spring. That's because the spring is at it's weakest point with only one leaf section there.

So if you think about the geometry, the spring is in an arc. As you space the axle upwards, the axle center actually gets closer to that front eye of the spring! Think about if you were to measure from the eye of the spring straight rearward, it's a shorter distance then if you measure on the angle downward. This means as you space the axle upwards, the distance gets shorter.

Torque=force x distance.

The torque is the same no matter where you put the axle. So if you space it upwards and the distance is shorter, the Force is actually increased.

So yes, the forces on the spring get worse with the lowering blocks, but it's not because the distance get's longer, it's because it gets shorter.

Hope that's not too confusing, if anyone wants a picture (Free Body Diagram) just ask and I'll draw one up and post it...

Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: dizuster] #197665
01/20/09 01:44 AM
01/20/09 01:44 AM
Mission BC
10sec440 Offline
pro stock
10sec440  Offline
pro stock

Mission BC
Quote:

Torque= Force x Distance

500lbs x 1 ft

OR

1 lb x 500ft

Practical example:

Torque=Force x Distance.

Ok now for the specific example, Maximum E. almost got it right in the begining, he was on the right track.

You can see from my example above that the longer distance would have less force on the spring (less wheel hop). So many of you are thinking, then why when I add 2" of lowering blocks does the wheel hop get worse (Just as mentioned by the old guy above who probably hasn't read this far because he only cares what he knows, not why it works)

Torque=force x distance.

I'm no engineer but I have enough experience in auto repair that I think I can comment...I don't agree with this:
"So yes, the forces on the spring get worse with the lowering blocks, but it's not because the distance get's longer, it's because it gets shorter."

I agree that the distance between the axle center and the spring eye get shorter, but it's the force that the axle perch exerts on the center of the spring that causes the windup,not the spring against the eye. Spacing that perch farther from the spring will make it more prone to rotate IMO. Can a car be built with a 2"lowering blocks and be strong enough that it will hold together and run 8's? Sounds like it.Is it optimal? I don't think so.

Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: 10sec440] #197666
01/20/09 03:08 AM
01/20/09 03:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Remember TWO forces are happening here. One is rotational force from the diff housing to the springs. The other is the diff housing pushing the car (via the spring) forward...... in a linear motion. As I see it one force will counter act the other to some degree.How much one force will counter the other I am not sure.The stiffness of the spring, weight of the car and traction may have some effect. This may explain the differing experiences stated here. I would imagine a longer lowering block would lessen the rotational force on the spring pad at least.Particularly when the diff housing would be more likely to 'run over' the spring mount! Some times it is just easier to try it and see what happens.

Re: mechanical engineers please help! #197667
01/20/09 05:15 AM
01/20/09 05:15 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Get ladder bars and coil overs and FORGET ABOUT IT

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: dizuster] #197668
01/20/09 08:50 AM
01/20/09 08:50 AM
Backwater, PA
B
bwdst6 Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
bwdst6  Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
B

Backwater, PA
Quote:

As you space the axle upwards, the axle center actually gets closer to that front eye of the spring! Think about if you were to measure from the eye of the spring straight rearward, it's a shorter distance then if you measure on the angle downward. This means as you space the axle upwards, the distance gets shorter.

That's not right. Stiffness isn't determined only by distance, it's determined by load path. And there's no need for a free body diagram, it's a Mechanical Vibrations problem, not a Statics problem where everything is assumed to be rigid.

This post is available in double vision where drunk.
Re: mechanical engineers please help! [Re: bwdst6] #197669
01/20/09 07:31 PM
01/20/09 07:31 PM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
Quote:

And there's no need for a free body diagram, it's a Mechanical Vibrations problem, not a Statics problem where everything is assumed to be rigid.

True but the load path applied is still calculated in a similar fashion. If you can come up with a simply explained vibrations solution on a forum like this feel free...

Page 2 of 2 1 2