12/09/15 05:14 AM
12/09/15 05:14 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
This new Predator deal has just been one hurdle after another. I am not going to list all of them but needless to say I think we must be cursed with the block from hell. It has fought from the get go but the end is in sight. But just for couple of the more recent issues here ya go..

This is one maybe we should have caught before now, but needless to say it is not something we even thought to check honestly. I mean have to massage things a bit is one thing but this is something entirely different. This is a picture of the oil inlet on the block. The black sharpie line is where the gasket would go. Can you see the issue?

This better illustrates the issue. You can see the witness mark where the hole SHOULD be in the block.

This is a stock gasket laid in place, obviously we have a problem Houston..

This was when we first noticed said issue, with the inlet fitting laid in place to check fitment initially. The pointer is highliting the gap that

So away we go modifying a nice new part from AndyF productions..BTW that black sharpie line on the block is a spot we had to mill off to even get the plate to fit previously

And viola problem fixed.

Last edited by Al_Alguire; 12/10/15 02:24 PM.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966157
12/09/15 05:21 AM
12/09/15 05:21 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
T next issue was something we were aware of when the B1 from the Cuda was last freshened. We were experiencing some issues with Thrust washer wear on the cam gear of the Jesel belt drive. Called Jesel to discuss the issue and they have a solution. It is a new cam gear with a different thrust set up that is supposed to eliminate the issue. Not sure if it works yet as the Cuda engine just got the new stuff on freshen up but they say it will. Anyway the new cam gear is a different design and sticks out further than the previous gear did. I meant to discuss this with ATI when I got the balancer but it slipped my mind. Anyway here is what you get with the new upper cam gear from Jesel and an ATI balancer.

A "slight" interference to say the least smile I do not have the after pics here but we basically chuck it up and trim the balancer a bit and the upper gear and it is all well now. But just another example of the kinds of things we have been dealing with.

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966158
12/09/15 05:27 AM
12/09/15 05:27 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
The latest hurdle has been with the Peterson Spline drive front. Seems someone was not listening when I ordered these parts and they do not want to play well with what I have. Will be on the phone tomorrow with them trying to get it figured out. I expect this will go just as difficult as everything else have.

These are just two of the myriad of issues I have had with this thing. Lots and lots of little stuff for sure. Thankfully I have a very patient and meticulous guy making sure it all goes well. Have no doubt it will make decent power but man what a road it has been. Still a ways to go.

guess this is the price I pay for trying to do this stuff right the first time. It has been a long long road to this point. Now the facility we used to dyno stuff is also closing the end of the month so we will be on hold yet again until we find a place we can do some work on the dyno. That may not be til March now as I will be headed back to DC here very soon. Oh well will hopefully have the top together tomorrow and at least it will look like an engine.

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966173
12/09/15 09:21 AM
12/09/15 09:21 AM
J
Jerry Kathe Offline
enthusiast
Jerry Kathe  Offline
enthusiast
J

I feel your pain....and creative corrective actions....but that block would scare the hell out of me. CNC features that are mislocated generally have additional baggage.

The simple fix for the balancer fix is a spacer (washer) that ATI offers, seen this many times with milodon and jesel set ups.

Good luck.....and forget the dyno - tune that monster on the pavement wrench

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966182
12/09/15 10:12 AM
12/09/15 10:12 AM
glendora, ca.
D
Deepockets Offline
super stock
Deepockets  Offline
super stock
D

glendora, ca.
That's crazy. Why is it the end users to figure out manufacture's Mistakes! Well it looks like your towards the end. Good luck. I just had some issue's with a new pair of heads that I ordered. I feel the pain too.

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966203
12/09/15 11:22 AM
12/09/15 11:22 AM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
It is hard to believe that machining could be THAT far off. down
It is bad enough stuff like this eats up the calendar. A guy without your equipment would really be up a crick, and it would probably be out of pocket to boot.
I had a serious cam thrust issue on my 528, wound up force feeding oil directly to the thrust surface on the Milodon gear drive by running an oil line to the gear cover. That gear drive also needed the spacer to clear the damper.
Is that an Indy block?

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966222
12/09/15 12:21 PM
12/09/15 12:21 PM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
And it sucks that you have to pay good $$ for things and they don't work like they are supposed to. I know, that's racing, but that is also a cop out for this industry.

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966280
12/09/15 02:01 PM
12/09/15 02:01 PM
Mn.
D
daytona5812 Offline
enthusiast
daytona5812  Offline
enthusiast
D

Mn.
I feel ur pain. I got a new block from Indy 5 months ago, the top four head bolt holes on both sides weren't there....

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966283
12/09/15 02:05 PM
12/09/15 02:05 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
FWIW the block is fixed. Just took a bit of work for sure. The oil hole no one can explain for sure. We had to machine that pad to accept the plate and never really paid attention to the oil hole, but then who would. Was not a huge issue to address but def should not be there. We are beginning to think it was a "blem" block to begin with. Not happy about it but it is fixed now after a lot of extra time money and work.

As for no dyno, out of the question. We will wait until we have found a place to take it. Have another SB that will be ready in March and will likely do both in one trip since it looks like it will now be a raodtrip deal.

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966286
12/09/15 02:08 PM
12/09/15 02:08 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Oh don't get me started on Indy. Have some parts here that have more issues that you can shake a stick at. Although the normal guy putting together a motor in his garage likely would not even catch them. BTW on my block a Mildon pump would bolt on, cover up that hole and likely be ran with not so good results that way.

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966295
12/09/15 02:24 PM
12/09/15 02:24 PM
Central TEXAS!!!!
sr4440 Offline
super stock
sr4440  Offline
super stock

Central TEXAS!!!!
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
FWIW the block is fixed. Just took a bit of work for sure. The oil hole no one can explain for sure. We had to machine that pad to accept the plate and never really paid attention to the oil hole, but then who would. Was not a huge issue to address but def should not be there. We are beginning to think it was a "blem" block to begin with. Not happy about it but it is fixed now after a lot of extra time money and work.

As for no dyno, out of the question. We will wait until we have found a place to take it. Have another SB that will be ready in March and will likely do both in one trip since it looks like it will now be a raodtrip deal.

too bad you don't live closer. grin

Joe

Without Data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.
Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966300
12/09/15 02:30 PM
12/09/15 02:30 PM
J
Jerry Kathe Offline
enthusiast
Jerry Kathe  Offline
enthusiast
J

You probably still have an issue....unless they manually over-ridden the program with an angle change....it would be impossible for this feed passage to intersect with the distribution channel at the proper point....food for thought.

Your ball, your game, your court....but I personally wouldn't spend a dime on dynoing a bracket motor.....confidence and competency are the only tools required. FWIW/IMO.... up

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966311
12/09/15 02:43 PM
12/09/15 02:43 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
Wow, drilling the oil hole in the wrong location is a very big mistake to make on a block. The average guy would've just bolted a Milodon pump on there and gone down the track with a huge restriction in the oiling system. The bottom end probably would've lasted to half track before it let go.

Last edited by AndyF; 12/09/15 02:43 PM.
Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966332
12/09/15 02:59 PM
12/09/15 02:59 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Jerry no worries we have addressed all the issues trust me. People way smarter than me who did the work. Just showing the end result is all. It was not a simple grind and do operation trust me.

Andy kinda my point. We put a Milodon pump on it just to see if it would cover the hole completely and it did. SO if I guy put the gasket on the pump and slid it home like he would have had an issue later.

AS for the dyno stuff. I NEVER not dyno a serious piece. On my little stuff sure no reason to spend the extra money. For something like this we will be running in TS track time is very limited and want to maximize what we can. Not like we have any T&T days out here. We have race days that's it. So need to be ready to go when we get the chance

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966551
12/09/15 09:01 PM
12/09/15 09:01 PM
back in Georgia
dthemi Offline
master
dthemi  Offline
master

back in Georgia
Hey Al, if it's not too far along, machine an oring groove around the feed out hole on your pump where you extended it, and ditch the gasket. Then you can crank that pump down as tight as you like, and forget it.

I've had to make a spacer ring for dampers before as well. Usually cut them off a factory snout, and hone them out a bit so they slip on.

If you're running roller cam bearings, and having trouble keeping the thrust washer alive try this. Pull the front bearing out and with a triangle file, file a groove from the cam bore oil hole out to the front. So when the bearing goes back in there is now an oil feed to the thrust. then take the thrust washers and and file a slot crossing center on the front and rear thrust washers. Mine all look new since doing this. Makes the thrust a pressure fed bearing.

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966845
12/10/15 03:15 AM
12/10/15 03:15 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
We did machine a slot for oil from the front cam bearing to feed oil to the thrust. Did it with the B1 when we first found the problem. Jesel suggested the new cam gear so we did it to the B1 and the Predator. The damper is not a big deal really. Just something I wished I had remembered when I ordered it. We just machined a tad off it, it really looks worse in the pic than it is. As for the oring smile Guess more pictures would have helped. Appreciate the suggestions!!

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966860
12/10/15 03:37 AM
12/10/15 03:37 AM
Carson City, Nevada
Biginchmopar Offline
pro stock
Biginchmopar  Offline
pro stock

Carson City, Nevada
Al
My deal has not had any of the problem you have run into, thank god!
Anyway did you end up running offset lifters?
I was checking pushrods clearances and I'm going to have to do a bit of clearanceing to make sure nothing touches.
Did you go over 1.000" lift?

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966869
12/10/15 03:54 AM
12/10/15 03:54 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
My lifters are all left hand offset Jesel keyways. Pushrods are pretty much dead perfect. Required a lot of clearancing for the double taper 9/16" pushrods we are using. Not just on the block and head also a small notch in the bushing and lifter at the very top. On the base circle it is just REALLY close with out it. If we had gone one bigger to a 70MM cam core it would not have been an issue.

As for the cam specs I will list all that stuff later whenever we get it to the dyno and have some numbers on the combo. Lets just say we are expecting a good number.

Last edited by Al_Alguire; 12/10/15 03:55 AM.

Re: For those who keep asking... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1966886
12/10/15 05:20 AM
12/10/15 05:20 AM
Carson City, Nevada
Biginchmopar Offline
pro stock
Biginchmopar  Offline
pro stock

Carson City, Nevada
Thanks