01/19/09 05:26 PM
01/19/09 05:26 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
good price, but you'll need to change springs out of stock mag heads if you plan on running anything bigger than a stock 360 or small summit cam....

also, just because they came off of a running engine doesn't mean they aren't cracked....

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: patrick] #196745
01/19/09 06:20 PM
01/19/09 06:20 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
I have all the stuff here I am about to do the Magnum head swap on my 83 D 250 with a 318;
if AT ALL possible I REFUSE to buy China made $#!T
Here's what I did, and it will allow you to run ANY LA intake, so you don't need the special Magnum intake throttle brackets, etc. I had my magnum heads redrilled to the LA intake pattern; same hole location different angle. There are some of them where the threads are thin on 1 side of the hole but using magnum gaskets and the Magnum spec of 12 ft lb instead of the LA 45 ft lb (I think the threads will "pull out" before I get there, and that gargantuan torque is mot needed on an alum intake even on a completely-LA engine.)
I think if I were to do anything different, (I may return the heads for this mod before I swap them in) I would go a lil BIGGER so I could install a Thread insert (Heli coil, etc) in the heads. (Hughes may include this in their job I am not sure) I am using the stock LA spec 3/8-16 intake bolts instead of the Magnum 5/16-18.

Set an LA intake gasket on top of a Magnum head, center-up the ports and you will see the bolt holes are in the same place. I sent an LA intake gasket with the heads to the machine shop so they had a "guide".

I have never seen a set done by Hughes but they modify heads this way quite often for $80. Cheap.
I had mine done by a local job-shop (non automotive) machine shop for a lil less.
But add that to a readily available LA intake (there were a few even at the "all-Chevy" swap I went to yesterday) 2 seperate sellers had LA engine Performers for $50 and $75. The $50 one was grungey the $75 one had been nicely cleaned up.

But this would definitely be a better budget way of having your Magnum heads (cake) and better choice of intake, for a more reasonable price (eating cake too)

I am using the thinner 0.028" head gasket from Mopar Perf and I have their push rods here too; from the stories I hear about pushrods I hope that does not bite me. Everything I hear, says that you need pushrods 0.025" longer than MP's conversion ones. The "normal head gasket is 0.042", so I am hoping that the difference between the thin ones and the thick ones, make up the difference in the push rods working or not. My Magnum heads wound up not needing a "clean up" milling.

On pushrods I have also read that Summit and others, have the 7.650" ones they are a standard pushrod for some engine I am not sure what. (use the "buyer's guide" section where they list each P/N pushrod by length diameter end-type, etc.in the back of the book. IIRC, that length pushrod is a standard length for some Ford motor.

My wife is taking a week off work next week so I will have my "window" to do the head swap, and have a vehicle here to drive during the swap.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: patrick] #196746
01/19/09 07:05 PM
01/19/09 07:05 PM
Detroit,Michigan USA!
E
erick72 Offline OP
mopar
erick72  Offline OP
mopar
E

Detroit,Michigan USA!
Quote:

good price, but you'll need to change springs out of stock mag heads if you plan on running anything bigger than a stock 360 or small summit cam....

also, just because they came off of a running engine doesn't mean they aren't cracked....

well i wanna use a stock 340 cam so im guessing im good.

will they even run on and engine if they are cracked?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: volaredon] #196747
01/19/09 07:09 PM
01/19/09 07:09 PM
Detroit,Michigan USA!
E
erick72 Offline OP
mopar
erick72  Offline OP
mopar
E

Detroit,Michigan USA!
Quote:

I have all the stuff here I am about to do the Magnum head swap on my 83 D 250 with a 318;
if AT ALL possible I REFUSE to buy China made $#!T
Here's what I did, and it will allow you to run ANY LA intake, so you don't need the special Magnum intake throttle brackets, etc. I had my magnum heads redrilled to the LA intake pattern; same hole location different angle. There are some of them where the threads are thin on 1 side of the hole but using magnum gaskets and the Magnum spec of 12 ft lb instead of the LA 45 ft lb (I think the threads will "pull out" before I get there, and that gargantuan torque is mot needed on an alum intake even on a completely-LA engine.)
I think if I were to do anything different, (I may return the heads for this mod before I swap them in) I would go a lil BIGGER so I could install a Thread insert (Heli coil, etc) in the heads. (Hughes may include this in their job I am not sure) I am using the stock LA spec 3/8-16 intake bolts instead of the Magnum 5/16-18.

Set an LA intake gasket on top of a Magnum head, center-up the ports and you will see the bolt holes are in the same place. I sent an LA intake gasket with the heads to the machine shop so they had a "guide".

I have never seen a set done by Hughes but they modify heads this way quite often for $80. Cheap.
I had mine done by a local job-shop (non automotive) machine shop for a lil less.
But add that to a readily available LA intake (there were a few even at the "all-Chevy" swap I went to yesterday) 2 seperate sellers had LA engine Performers for $50 and $75. The $50 one was grungey the $75 one had been nicely cleaned up.

But this would definitely be a better budget way of having your Magnum heads (cake) and better choice of intake, for a more reasonable price (eating cake too)

I am using the thinner 0.028" head gasket from Mopar Perf and I have their push rods here too; from the stories I hear about pushrods I hope that does not bite me. Everything I hear, says that you need pushrods 0.025" longer than MP's conversion ones. The "normal head gasket is 0.042", so I am hoping that the difference between the thin ones and the thick ones, make up the difference in the push rods working or not. My Magnum heads wound up not needing a "clean up" milling.

On pushrods I have also read that Summit and others, have the 7.650" ones they are a standard pushrod for some engine I am not sure what. (use the "buyer's guide" section where they list each P/N pushrod by length diameter end-type, etc.in the back of the book. IIRC, that length pushrod is a standard length for some Ford motor.

My wife is taking a week off work next week so I will have my "window" to do the head swap, and have a vehicle here to drive during the swap.

im avoiding the made in china trash too.

so where did you get them redrilled?your local machine shop?if i gave them my LA intake could they drill new holes in the heads?

thanks guys you don't understand.this is a hoard of help to me.if i didn't have moparts i would be totally lost!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: erick72] #196748
01/19/09 08:55 PM
01/19/09 08:55 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Yup. local machine shop. The difference is whether the holes are exactly perpendicular to the intake mount surface (LA) or whether they are 45* to it as the Magnum intake bolts are.
I did not call hughes up and ask about inserts to make up for where the threads are thin (IDK if it was/is some sort of "trade secret" or somethin) but there was someone here that had made a homemade jig to do the mod "at home", I guess he sold it or loaned it out and "POOF" it is gone. No one that I have ever heard of has ever mentioned whether they Heli coiled the holes or anything but i have seen/heard of many making this mod with no mention of it.
I have a Magnum block on the stand, I am gonna mock up the heads on there and set the intake on with the side gaskets to see that the holes will line up the way they should before I pull the old ones off my truck.
As I said I had this done at a "regular" machine shop not an automotive one. The local automotive one does not have a suitable mill (they DO resurface heads and flywheels but that is not the kind of mill you need) or clamps/blocking, to set up/support the head in the correct position to drill them the way they need to be.
Whatever you do, DO NOT torque that intake to standard LA intake torque specs!!!!Magnum specs will do the job.

I am using my daily driver truck as a "guinea pig" of sorts, if this one turns out well I may put a set of Magnum heads on my 78 Fury (also a 318) before I pull it out for the season.

BTW; I am using the original 1983 318 cam as the Magnums have a higher (1.6 vs LA 1.5) rocker ratio so that will wake up a stock cam, even if only a little.
For a carb, I am using a Carter AFB (elec choke version) NOT an Edelbrock version (using what I have here) not sure whether I will go with the 500 or the 625 version yet though. No diff because, the venturis and butterflies on the primary side are the same on these carbs according to the Carter carb books I have; the difference is all on the Secondary side; so theroetically if I don't get into the "back half" of the carb it should run exactly the same, with either one. I do have (2) Carter "Strip Kits" here to play around with various jets and metering rods on it.

Once I get it back running and the bugs out, I may experiment with one of the Holley 4360's I have laying here(450 CFM 4 BBL Economaster)

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: volaredon] #196749
01/19/09 10:55 PM
01/19/09 10:55 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Quote:

There are some of them where the threads are thin on 1 side of the hole but using magnum gaskets and the Magnum spec of 12 ft lb instead of the LA 45 ft lb (I think the threads will "pull out" before I get there, and that gargantuan torque is mot needed on an alum intake even on a completely-LA engine.)

I would bet $$$ that you are going to end up with an intake leak only running 12 ft.lbs of torque instead of the 45 ft.lbs you are supposed to with an LA intake. Maybe not right after install, but eventually and the difference in the coeffecient of expansion between the aluminum intake and the cast iron heads will make it happen even quicker.

The different angles at which the threads go into the head is the reason for the different torque specs, when you are tightening sraight down with the Magnum pattern you are actually pushing the intake surface against the head surface, when you go in at an angle like the LA pattern you are pulling (stretching) the intake to the head thus the higher torque requirement.

Trust me, I'm a engines engineer, i.e. I design engines for a living. I can guarentee you are going to have problems with this set-up.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: DUFFMAN] #196750
01/20/09 01:17 AM
01/20/09 01:17 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I have re drilled and taped a ton of these useing the LA intake bolts and 25ft lbs tq and have not had one of them come back yet. It was about 5 years ago I first did one and he drives it a lot but he does have a cast iron factory intake, all the others are aluminum intakes and not leaking either.

The intake bolts on an LA are not exactly perpendicular. I made my own jig and used an LA head for the pattern not the intake or gasket. I bolted the two pices to an LA head intake face and clamped them to the chamber side with welding clamps and welded it together.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: DUFFMAN] #196751
01/20/09 09:15 AM
01/20/09 09:15 AM
Detroit,Michigan USA!
E
erick72 Offline OP
mopar
erick72  Offline OP
mopar
E

Detroit,Michigan USA!
Quote:

Quote:

There are some of them where the threads are thin on 1 side of the hole but using magnum gaskets and the Magnum spec of 12 ft lb instead of the LA 45 ft lb (I think the threads will "pull out" before I get there, and that gargantuan torque is mot needed on an alum intake even on a completely-LA engine.)

I would bet $$$ that you are going to end up with an intake leak only running 12 ft.lbs of torque instead of the 45 ft.lbs you are supposed to with an LA intake. Maybe not right after install, but eventually and the difference in the coeffecient of expansion between the aluminum intake and the cast iron heads will make it happen even quicker.

The different angles at which the threads go into the head is the reason for the different torque specs, when you are tightening sraight down with the Magnum pattern you are actually pushing the intake surface against the head surface, when you go in at an angle like the LA pattern you are pulling (stretching) the intake to the head thus the higher torque requirement.

Trust me, I'm a engines engineer, i.e. I design engines for a living. I can guarentee you are going to have problems with this set-up.

so i should just get the magnum intake?the airgap style one i mean?

it makes since why the heads have the bolts go in that way!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: erick72] #196752
01/20/09 09:56 AM
01/20/09 09:56 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
link to Dave's thread on his mini-jig

the original jig was built by James (bigblockranger)in texas, his spanned the entire head, and bolted to it using the accessory holes on the front and back. he did the same thing as Dave, built it off of an old LA head (accessory holes are in the same spot between mag and LA heads)...Dave's is a pretty neat and simple design, too.

since you're on a budget, I'd use Dave's suggestion, redrill, and tighten to 25-30 ft-lb...one caveat with the edelbrock magnum intake is the water neck is in the magnum position (biased towards the pass side)...you may run into interference with it if you're running A/C in an older vehicle, most likely a '80-91 vehicle.

as far as cam, the biggest cam I'd run with stock spring is MP part number P4452757, which is 248/256 adv, .410/.425 lift with 1.5's (which is essentially a stock 360 cam). with the 1.6 mag rockers it'll actually be more like .437/.453. even at that, the stock mag springs will start to float at about 5000-5200 RPM. the 340 cam is 267/276 adv duration, .429/.444 lift with 1.5's, or .458/474 with mag rockers. it'll float the valves sooner, and you may have coil bind issues with the stock springs.

Here's my post in the archives about the GM3100 springs

I'd defintitely spend the $140 and get some GM 3100 springs and retainers from gmpartsdirect.com. or if you're cheap, start pulling them off of cars at the junkyard with a valve spring compressor for heads on the car. with these springs, If you're set on a MP cam, I'd use the 260/268, .430/450 lift cam. a comp 260 duration high energy cam would be good, as would a comp XE256. if you're cheap, either summit cam kits would work ok, the smaller one would work better on a street and/or heavier car.

Last edited by patrick; 01/20/09 10:01 AM.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: DUFFMAN] #196753
01/20/09 10:04 AM
01/20/09 10:04 AM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Quote:

Quote:

I never liked the 45ft lb spec of the factory LA anyway; I have had the threads pull out at that reading, on dead stock all-LA engines trying to get there. (my mom's '84 5th avenue and dad's 86 B-van come to mind) I've done 35 ft lbs since then on these, with no problems with all cast iron components.and I always anti seize the bolts. IIRC the last couple LA aluminum intakes I have had I have gone ~20-25 w/o a problem. but I don't use the 318-2 barrel shim steel type intake gaskets either.
Alot of the reason for 12 ft lbs is the smaller bolts on the Magnums.
and they liked to snap off upon removal with that small number.

For the guy that had the jig; Did you have any issues with on;y having 2-2/2 full threads on one side of a couple of the new bolt holes? Did you drill and tap for the magnum spec 5/16, or the LA spec 3/8 bolts?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: HotRodDave] #196754
01/20/09 10:08 AM
01/20/09 10:08 AM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Quote:

I have re drilled and taped a ton of these useing the LA intake bolts and 25ft lbs tq and have not had one of them come back yet. It was about 5 years ago I first did one and he drives it a lot but he does have a cast iron factory intake, all the others are aluminum intakes and not leaking either.

I've replaced several LA intakes without using a torque wrench and simply going as tight as I can with a short ratchet and haven't had a problem yet, so I can believe that 25 ft.lbs would be enough, but 12 ft.lbs sounds a bit low to me.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: DUFFMAN] #196755
01/20/09 11:09 AM
01/20/09 11:09 AM
Detroit,Michigan USA!
E
erick72 Offline OP
mopar
erick72  Offline OP
mopar
E

Detroit,Michigan USA!
Quote:

Quote:

I've replaced several LA intakes without using a torque wrench and simply going as tight as I can with a short ratchet and haven't had a problem yet, so I can believe that 25 ft.lbs would be enough, but 12 ft.lbs sounds a bit low to me.

so should i just go with the magnum intake?im guessing thats best.it even kinda makes sense!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: erick72] #196756
01/20/09 11:20 AM
01/20/09 11:20 AM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Quote:

so should i just go with the magnum intake?im guessing thats best.it even kinda makes sense!

Its the 100% no trouble way to go. you even buy the stock Mopar bolts like you had a pickup with a magnum engine and torque them to 12 ft/lbs. The magnum intake bolts are torque to yield, so only use them once.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: goldduster318] #196757
01/20/09 03:11 PM
01/20/09 03:11 PM
NC
A
alpha727 Offline
alpha727  Offline
A

NC
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/index.html

This is a link to a 400hp 318 build that I'm planning on building you should read this and compare which would cost more between the two. You could use you're intake and you may have the heads already you would just have to pay for all of the machining.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: alpha727] #196758
01/20/09 05:56 PM
01/20/09 05:56 PM
Detroit,Michigan USA!
E
erick72 Offline OP
mopar
erick72  Offline OP
mopar
E

Detroit,Michigan USA!
do they have an intake that can fit my kickdown though?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: erick72] #196759
01/21/09 01:01 AM
01/21/09 01:01 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
If you get your magnum heads drilled and tapped to use your holley intake you already have then all your linkage will fit just like before and you can save money on buying a new intake

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: HotRodDave] #196760
01/21/09 06:35 PM
01/21/09 06:35 PM
Detroit,Michigan USA!
E
erick72 Offline OP
mopar
erick72  Offline OP
mopar
E

Detroit,Michigan USA!
your right!

that intake i have took two paychecks for get!anyone have there heads drilled?how much did it cost?how would i tell the machine shop to drill?do i give them my intake for a template?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: erick72] #196761
01/22/09 08:47 AM
01/22/09 08:47 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
I'd talk to hotroddave about him making & selling you one of his jigs. all you need is a decent drill, good 5/16" bit, and a 3/8 NC tap.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: patrick] #196762
01/22/09 07:00 PM
01/22/09 07:00 PM
Detroit,Michigan USA!
E
erick72 Offline OP
mopar
erick72  Offline OP
mopar
E

Detroit,Michigan USA!
sent pm Mr.HotrodDave

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: HotRodDave] #196763
01/26/09 12:24 AM
01/26/09 12:24 AM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Quote:

The intake bolts on an LA are not exactly perpendicular. I made my own jig and used an LA head for the pattern not the intake or gasket. I bolted the two pices to an LA head intake face and clamped them to the chamber side with welding clamps and welded it together.

CRAP!!! I took my heads to a local job shop (non automotive machine shop ) and gave them a set of LA and a set of Mag intake gaskets to go off of; I just tried a mock up of my Performer intake onto those heads atop a 38 Mag block I have on the stand, and some LA FelPro head gaskets I had layin' around, and yup; the bottoms of the bolt heads hit before the tops (closest to the valve cover) do; I guess I take em back and have em re redrilled at the correct angle and Heli Coils installed; they are close enuf that the enlarged holes the Heli Coils require will be able to alter the angle correctly, for an LA intake. I guess that's what I get for [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]-u-ming, huh?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5