Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Monte_Smith] #1960136
11/30/15 10:31 AM
11/30/15 10:31 AM
Janesville, WI
SpareParts Offline
pro stock
SpareParts  Offline
pro stock

Janesville, WI
Lighten up Monte, does a guy have to be faster just to make a joke. I loved watching the nitrous car walk away from the turbo cars... didn't you?

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Monte_Smith] #1960158
11/30/15 11:31 AM
11/30/15 11:31 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By Evil Spirit
Originally Posted By rowin4
I hope not! I guess if it is he could call it The BLUE BIRD LOL

Or "The Blue Turd" if Kye Kelly hands his ass to him a few more times. smirk
What you got faster?.............I didn't think so

Spotting are we?

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Keith Richards] #1960247
11/30/15 03:06 PM
11/30/15 03:06 PM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
Originally Posted By Keith Richards
Crow II?

puke

Big mistake. Just the opinion of someone who races a stock Slant 6 '75 Duster. The reason the show is popular in the first place is because people are tired of stuff like this car.

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: 67Satty] #1960271
11/30/15 03:44 PM
11/30/15 03:44 PM
Rescue CA.
joes68340s Offline
mopar
joes68340s  Offline
mopar

Rescue CA.
Theres another show on TV like this?

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Monte_Smith] #1960281
11/30/15 03:58 PM
11/30/15 03:58 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
The target audience for this show will love Chief's new car. They give 2 chits about the cars, they just want to see the 405 boys win.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: 67Satty] #1960311
11/30/15 05:06 PM
11/30/15 05:06 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Originally Posted By 67Satty
Crow II?

puke

Big mistake. Just the opinion of someone who races a stock Slant 6 '75 Duster. The reason the show is popular in the first place is because people are tired of stuff like this car.

Pro mods continue to pack the house at dragstrips. Have been for over 20 years.

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #1960341
11/30/15 06:06 PM
11/30/15 06:06 PM
Tampa
D
DusterDave Offline
top fuel
DusterDave  Offline
top fuel
D

Tampa
I'll continue to watch the show, regardless what the cars look like. I think Pro Mods are badazz. There have already been Pro Mods on the show, so it's not like its something new. Chief is smart to step into a lighter car. Why penalize yourself with a heavier car?

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Monte_Smith] #1960701
12/01/15 02:50 AM
12/01/15 02:50 AM
Cleveland Ohio
10secGTX Offline
top fuel
10secGTX  Offline
top fuel

Cleveland Ohio
Only time will tell. ..the show could Jump the shark with a bunch of promods. I think most people can Identify with the stock bodied cars. What's next a funny car ?

I tune in every week my son and I love the show, but even orange County choppers got out of control. But until then. .I'm tuning in

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #1960721
12/01/15 03:22 AM
12/01/15 03:22 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
Originally Posted By 67Satty
Crow II?

puke

Pro mods continue to pack the house at dragstrips. Have been for over 20 years.

Yes pro mods are fun to watch but most are morped into some weird configuration of a former car. Same for Blue Bird, yes it looks somewhat like a 68 firebird but it's heading to cars the general TV fans can not relate to in their world. As shown on the show when the 2 pro mods showed up, those were way beyond normal looking street race cars .

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: justinp61] #1960745
12/01/15 04:46 AM
12/01/15 04:46 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline OP
master
Monte_Smith  Offline OP
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By justinp61
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By rowin4
I hope not! I guess if it is he could call it The BLUE BIRD LOL

Or "The Blue Turd" if Kye Kelly hands his ass to him a few more times. smirk
What you got faster?.............I didn't think so

Spotting are we?
Nope, not at all........just smart azz comments from some who seem to dole out such things on a regular basis............gets tiresome, that's all. Just like he had to "inform" me that "truck arm" suspension came on trucks.......well no shizt, I had no idea. But comparing what is under that truck and a Cup car, to regular stock crap, is just like comparing the stock 4 bar that comes under a Mustang, to the one under a Pro-Mod

As they say........."haters gonna hate"

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 12/01/15 04:49 AM.
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Monte_Smith] #1960772
12/01/15 09:00 AM
12/01/15 09:00 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Might as well go back to the "scene of the crime" (joke) for this. You didn't agree with Paul's comment about the Farm Truck and Azn's vehicles being the only "street driven" cars on the show. Reality is - that is not because they are any more or less race oriented - the show PROMOTES THEM more that way, showing them actually driving the cars on the street and fishing for races that are with other STREET DRIVEN cars. I don't see every episode, but I have never seen the show PROMOTE any of the other regulars or list racers doing much street driving or racing. IMO unloading a car off the trailer for a couple test hits doesn't count as being street driven. The opinion of a "street driven" car varies widely. Nuff said there. (Hate - 0)

So then your answer was about Farm Trucks trick front and rear suspensions. I didn't offer my thoughts about what is trick about the front - not seeing the truck - but if it is a tube control arm/coil spring setup, I guess you could argue how trick it could be. If the truck has a tube front section, struts, torsion bars, etc - something that didn't come in most vehicles since the 60's - Yeah, probably trick. But if it is the same tube control arms/coil-over setup we ran since about 1980 - trick, nah - just lighter and more expensive. (hate - 0)

Brings us to truck arms. Our shop ran a 68 C10 to 9 teens at 140+ on 30x10" slicks back in 82-83 with truck arms - boxed stock arms, solid mounts, good shocks, and an air bag in the right coil. Again, not saying the Farm Trucks stuff isn't top shelf - just probably not new tech. Granted, what NASCAR and the Farm Truck is using certainly differ as far as materials, mounting/adjustment points, etc - truck arms have been a working suspension for a loooong time, and is only a variation of the stock suspension, not a totally different setup, such as a 4 link would be. And the NASCAR units have a lot of adjustability built in them that isn't necessary in a drag race setup, since they have do have to turn and all. (hate - 0)

The "Blue Turd" comment - meant simply as a joke based on nicknames sometimes follow results. Kye has had Chiefs number - pure and simple. Sometimes in my attempts at humor my dry sense of humor offends people - I rarely try to do so. When my intention is to actually offend someone, I can make that point crystal clear. If CHIEF was offended by the comment, I apologize to HIM. Anybody else offended can probably whizz off - I don't really care what THEIR feelings are. (hate - meh)

A new topic is the Drag Week posts. Haven't participated - would have liked to when my funds and health would have made it fun. IMO with the amount of changes that seem to be allowed from the "as driven" state - how realistic is it? Monty, you hit the nail on the head with the definition of a "street car" being simply with what a driver will put up with to drive the car on the street. And to an extent - same follows at Drag Week - how much of a thrash do you want to do to improve your times? You mentioned Lutz - not bashing him; totally admire what he does there (hate - 0 LOL) - look at what he changes from street to race trim. Different fuel, fuel system, ECM, cooling system removed. Also possibilities are gear ratio changes, rocker arm ratio changes, etc. Again, IMO to make it a true street/drag event, changes should be severely limited. Ideas are - rocker arm changes only due to breakage - weed out the guys that change the rockers to save the valve springs. That would make them run cams that are more realistic for "street driven" cars. Also, no gear changes, or an X% limit on change. Require cooling system to stay in place - doesn't have to cycle or contain coolant, but be intact, but let's get back to the cars actually resembling street cars and not Funny Cars or Pro Mods. While I love to see the Pro Mods make passes, do they really represent what Drag Week started out to represent? IMO - NO. (hate - 0)

Monty, you are obviously an intelligent person and while we often don't agree, I always respect what you do for racing. I respect differing opinions that are presented with facts and logic to back them - you will RARELY see me make a statement here that I am not prepared to defend on why I feel that way. Sometimes my posts lean towards sarcastic - guilty. Sometimes your posts appear to lean towards self promotion - the way people that install only moly cages won't accept that mild steel cages also have their merits. But bear in mind that I have nothing personal against you - sometimes IMO your posts just simply need another "view".

HATE TOTAL - 0

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Evil Spirit] #1960856
12/01/15 12:40 PM
12/01/15 12:40 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Might as well go back to the "scene of the crime" (joke) for this. You didn't agree with Paul's comment about the Farm Truck and Azn's vehicles being the only "street driven" cars on the show. Reality is - that is not because they are any more or less race oriented - the show PROMOTES THEM more that way, showing them actually driving the cars on the street and fishing for races that are with other STREET DRIVEN cars. I don't see every episode, but I have never seen the show PROMOTE any of the other regulars or list racers doing much street driving or racing. IMO unloading a car off the trailer for a couple test hits doesn't count as being street driven. The opinion of a "street driven" car varies widely. Nuff said there. (Hate - 0)

So then your answer was about Farm Trucks trick front and rear suspensions. I didn't offer my thoughts about what is trick about the front - not seeing the truck - but if it is a tube control arm/coil spring setup, I guess you could argue how trick it could be. If the truck has a tube front section, struts, torsion bars, etc - something that didn't come in most vehicles since the 60's - Yeah, probably trick. But if it is the same tube control arms/coil-over setup we ran since about 1980 - trick, nah - just lighter and more expensive. (hate - 0)

Brings us to truck arms. Our shop ran a 68 C10 to 9 teens at 140+ on 30x10" slicks back in 82-83 with truck arms - boxed stock arms, solid mounts, good shocks, and an air bag in the right coil. Again, not saying the Farm Trucks stuff isn't top shelf - just probably not new tech. Granted, what NASCAR and the Farm Truck is using certainly differ as far as materials, mounting/adjustment points, etc - truck arms have been a working suspension for a loooong time, and is only a variation of the stock suspension, not a totally different setup, such as a 4 link would be. And the NASCAR units have a lot of adjustability built in them that isn't necessary in a drag race setup, since they have do have to turn and all. (hate - 0)

The "Blue Turd" comment - meant simply as a joke based on nicknames sometimes follow results. Kye has had Chiefs number - pure and simple. Sometimes in my attempts at humor my dry sense of humor offends people - I rarely try to do so. When my intention is to actually offend someone, I can make that point crystal clear. If CHIEF was offended by the comment, I apologize to HIM. Anybody else offended can probably whizz off - I don't really care what THEIR feelings are. (hate - meh)

A new topic is the Drag Week posts. Haven't participated - would have liked to when my funds and health would have made it fun. IMO with the amount of changes that seem to be allowed from the "as driven" state - how realistic is it? Monty, you hit the nail on the head with the definition of a "street car" being simply with what a driver will put up with to drive the car on the street. And to an extent - same follows at Drag Week - how much of a thrash do you want to do to improve your times? You mentioned Lutz - not bashing him; totally admire what he does there (hate - 0 LOL) - look at what he changes from street to race trim. Different fuel, fuel system, ECM, cooling system removed. Also possibilities are gear ratio changes, rocker arm ratio changes, etc. Again, IMO to make it a true street/drag event, changes should be severely limited. Ideas are - rocker arm changes only due to breakage - weed out the guys that change the rockers to save the valve springs. That would make them run cams that are more realistic for "street driven" cars. Also, no gear changes, or an X% limit on change. Require cooling system to stay in place - doesn't have to cycle or contain coolant, but be intact, but let's get back to the cars actually resembling street cars and not Funny Cars or Pro Mods. While I love to see the Pro Mods make passes, do they really represent what Drag Week started out to represent? IMO - NO. (hate - 0)

Monty, you are obviously an intelligent person and while we often don't agree, I always respect what you do for racing. I respect differing opinions that are presented with facts and logic to back them - you will RARELY see me make a statement here that I am not prepared to defend on why I feel that way. Sometimes my posts lean towards sarcastic - guilty. Sometimes your posts appear to lean towards self promotion - the way people that install only moly cages won't accept that mild steel cages also have their merits. But bear in mind that I have nothing personal against you - sometimes IMO your posts just simply need another "view".

HATE TOTAL - 0

Try going to YB and getting a response on a discussion like this lol. Bravo to both parties. wink

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Eric] #1960862
12/01/15 01:05 PM
12/01/15 01:05 PM
NYC
D
Dartari Offline
enthusiast
Dartari  Offline
enthusiast
D

NYC
Originally Posted By Eric

HATE TOTAL - 0

Try going to YB and getting a response on a discussion like this lol. Bravo to both parties. wink
You can't even have an intelligent and civil debate on YB to many knuckle draggers there

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Monte_Smith] #1960907
12/01/15 01:56 PM
12/01/15 01:56 PM
Oklahoma
66 Belvedere Offline
66 Belvedere  Offline

Oklahoma
These guys have been racing this way for a long time. They are street racers.
This is a Television show for entertainment. Then again some people would [censored] about leave it to beaver.

Ray

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: 66 Belvedere] #1960920
12/01/15 02:12 PM
12/01/15 02:12 PM
United Socialist States of Ame...
T
tboomer Offline
Too Many Posts
tboomer  Offline
Too Many Posts
T

United Socialist States of Ame...
Originally Posted By 66 Belvedere
These guys have been racing this way for a long time. They are street racers.
This is a Television show for entertainment. Then again some people would [censored] about leave it to beaver.

Ray

We have a winner!!! I will still watch it as I said before. I also think the main characters are bringing in more money than we are being to led. More power to them and I hope they can milk the cash cow for what it is worth! Give the show a couple of years and it will be gone just like Rich Christensen and the Pinks series.

Need your rear end checked out? Contact Grizzly!!
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Monte_Smith] #1960930
12/01/15 02:23 PM
12/01/15 02:23 PM
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline
master
FastmOp  Offline
master

Hot Rod Ridge
The show is Duck Dynasty all over again. Was good the 1st couple years now it's going down hill fast.

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: tboomer] #1960952
12/01/15 02:48 PM
12/01/15 02:48 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Originally Posted By tboomer

We have a winner!!! I will still watch it as I said before. I also think the main characters are bringing in more money than we are being to led. More power to them and I hope they can milk the cash cow for what it is worth! Give the show a couple of years and it will be gone just like Rich Christensen and the Pinks series.

I'm not sure they are making big money from the show itself. I think the smarter ones are making some coin from the event fees and from selling the baubles and trinkets to the Minions. It's been mentioned that some of the guys get $5K to show up at track events and make some exhibition runs and sell 300-500 t-shirts at $20 each. If that's true - good for them. I'd ride that pony into the dirt if it was offered to me, too. As to the longevity of the show - let's just say the new has worn off and let's see where the next generation of cars - the "pro-mods" - takes it.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Monte_Smith] #1960957
12/01/15 02:51 PM
12/01/15 02:51 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Online content
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Online Content
I Live Here
M

md
NHRA drove the fans away with cars that no longer connect to the people. I see this show going in the same direction.

Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: Monte_Smith] #1961190
12/01/15 08:08 PM
12/01/15 08:08 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Most here have not even seen Chiefs new car but are already calling it the end. Lighten up and enjoy the show.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Well, that didn't take long......Chief has a new ride [Re: JERICOGTX] #1961214
12/01/15 08:38 PM
12/01/15 08:38 PM
Odessa, Fl
B
blowndart Offline
super stock
blowndart  Offline
super stock
B

Odessa, Fl
Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
Most here have not even seen Chiefs new car but are already calling it the end. Lighten up and enjoy the show.
iagree

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6