R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:
Depending on what I see IN the cooling passages I treat it to a muratic acid cleanout...
What percentage (cut with water I am assuming) and how long do you let it cook?

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: mickm] #1945564
11/05/15 11:34 AM
11/05/15 11:34 AM
CentralVA.
B
BBCoronet Offline
mopar
BBCoronet  Offline
mopar
B

CentralVA.
Iron is porous and the best way to remove oil/grease from it is to bake it(Best way)or heat it with a torch/heat gun if you're doing it at home.......You can take a block fresh from the machine shop and go over it with a torch/heat gun and it will sweat oil residue from the iron....which is what lifts the paint in the first place. We're not talking "Red Hot" here, just warm enough that if there's dirty iron it will smoke......about 10 minutes with a simple propane torch will tell the story. After that you have nice warm block ready for paint. Spray on cleaners work but they mostly clean the surface. Some shops have better equipment than others, but I always sweat the parts first to make sure....medium coat of paint to seal it off....assemble the engine...final coat of paint....Done.

Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: RoadRunner] #1945634
11/05/15 01:44 PM
11/05/15 01:44 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

1,1,1 Trichloroethylene is carcinogenic, 1,1,1 trichloroethane isn't. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0404.html

So you're wrong about that. It is listed as an ozone deplete, so I must ask if you have ever disconnected any emissions controls on your cars, because that causes air pollution which is much closer to home, the earth's surface.

This whole subject is moot, however, as the Montreal Convention banned its production starting in 1996.

R.

Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: dogdays] #1945675
11/05/15 03:03 PM
11/05/15 03:03 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Well thats good to know. The chlorinated brake cleaners dissolve oil faster, but I try to avoid them usually because I always thought it was a carcinogen (confusing with trichlorethylene). I notice it does tend to leave a residue though, vs the non-chlorinated cleaners. It does do some funky things to latex gloves too.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: GTX MATT] #1945884
11/05/15 09:00 PM
11/05/15 09:00 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Let's not forget what it does to your fingers! It sucks all the oils out of them and for me at least it burns like mad.

R.

Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: RapidRobert] #1945913
11/05/15 09:31 PM
11/05/15 09:31 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Quote:
Depending on what I see IN the cooling passages I treat it to a muratic acid cleanout...
What percentage (cut with water I am assuming) and how long do you let it cook?

After I re-read the original question I realized it's in a longblock form already... I usually use the muratic acid if it's a bare block and the hot tank did'nt get it like I wanted...I'm not sure I'd do it with an assembled longblock...I put the block on an engine stand,plug holes, and start pouring...Let it cook for a while{until it looks like it's not doing much more} and drain it....You would'nt believe what comes out of a "clean" block...Turn the engine to a different position and repeat...
I'll have to check on what strength{there's different concentrations} I have in the gallon containers.. I just used it straight last time...We have to do this to our fishing boat every few years to keep the sea water passages open it really cooks the debris out...

Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: dogdays] #1945920
11/05/15 09:41 PM
11/05/15 09:41 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Originally Posted By dogdays
Let's not forget what it does to your fingers! It sucks all the oils out of them and for me at least it burns like mad.

R.

Makes my fingers tingle, and yes, sucks the oil out and gives you dead/pealing skin like when you're in the water too long!

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: RapidRobert] #1945983
11/05/15 11:37 PM
11/05/15 11:37 PM
wellington ohio
68-scatpack-rt Offline
In thin ice
68-scatpack-rt  Offline
In thin ice

wellington ohio
I would get a gallon of wax and grease remover & with a clean paint brush and scrub brush go over it vigorously repeatedly with enough of it to where it is dripping a big mess under the eng. then finish up with several cans of brake kleen, drowning it & it'll get into the pores/nooks and crannies. I would not use any rags. They were referring to painting a flat surface but the paint guys at Sears once told me that you use solvent (of an appropriate type of course) to raise the oils/debris then you must wipe it off when wet otherwise if it dries the oil just goes back down to the surface. I dont think the oil will evap no matter how much it is diluted but instead it must be flushed off of the eng.
I would get a gallon of wax and grease remover & with a clean paint brush and scrub brush go over it vigorously repeatedly with enough of it to where it is dripping a big mess under the eng. then finish up with several cans of brake kleen, drowning it & it'll get into the pores/nooks and crannies. I would not use any rags. They were referring to painting a flat surface but the paint guys at Sears once told me that you use solvent (of an appropriate type of course) to raise the oils/debris then you must wipe it off when wet otherwise if it dries the oil just goes back down to the surface. I dont think the oil will evap no matter how much it is diluted but instead it must be flushed off of the eng.

Exactly!
The solvent suspends the contaminants and they must be removed in suspension or they just lay back down when the solvent evaporates.

unions....the folks who brought you the weekend!
Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: mickm] #1946911
11/07/15 01:58 PM
11/07/15 01:58 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
I agree with the grease and wax remover. I've painted blocks in the past using brake clean, carb cleaner, lacquer thinner. It all evaporates to quickly. We always use single stage urethane. The only thing that seems to harm it is the dye from race gas can stain it. Everything else won't touch it. I'm not afraid to use bondo either, holds up perfect unless it's close to the exhaust, IE BB valve cover with stock manifolds. You'll notice my heads have no casting roughness or Indy logo. I have a bondoed factory cross ram that has the same finish as the engines in these pics that was bondoed and painted over 15 years ago.

E33.jpgIMG_7815.JPG
Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: dvw] #1947497
11/08/15 01:43 PM
11/08/15 01:43 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
For a dead on perfect job should a person use the cleaners then sweat the rest of the oils out with a torch then reclean OR torch then solvents? (OCD)

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: prepping a block for paint [Re: RapidRobert] #1948335
11/09/15 09:31 PM
11/09/15 09:31 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
I really enjoyed this post. I'll tell you what I use. I hit greasy stuff with mineral spirits to loosen up the stuff in the cracks and crevasses. Then use compressed air to evaporate the residual. Then I hit the parts with POR Marine Clean (spray bottle) and a clean brush and rinse. This stuff will strip the [censored] off a sow and is fine for you and the environment. Just wear rubber gloves and a mask cause it will strip your skin oil and burn a bit in higher concentration. even 10:1 it's amazing.

I’m listening.
Page 2 of 2 1 2