Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: jb500] #1945440
11/05/15 01:46 AM
11/05/15 01:46 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
not enough exp (here) to say yay or nay on the white tape (I've used it "some") but (1) wrap it tight (2) go around in the correct direction (so it dont want to unwind when screwing the fittings together (3) work the tape with your thumb/forefinger deep into the root

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1945446
11/05/15 02:00 AM
11/05/15 02:00 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
those are pipe threads, 1/4" NPT to be specific. And yes they need some sort of sealant. Teflon tape, pipe dope of your choice or Loctite blue works well. The tape can leave a strand or two, but not likely if used properly, the Dope? Maybe the best choice for disassembly as it remains soft (Teflon dope recommended), Loctite works extremely well but can leave small particles behind when disassembled that needs to be cleaned and thoroughly flushed twocents

Last edited by TJP; 11/05/15 02:14 AM.
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1945450
11/05/15 02:19 AM
11/05/15 02:19 AM
TN Hoosier
J
jb500 Offline
jb500  Offline
J

TN Hoosier
Again, tape does not seal. It only is only a lubricant. It is a metal to metal seal. Any added substance, pipe dope, PTFE paste, and Loctite put on the threads only provide a slippery surface to allow the threads to be torqued to seal. NPT stuff is not the best option for items that will be taken apart often. The threads are deformed each time the fitting is tightened up. That is where the JIC 37deg fitting shines.

The pics show my setup and it has not been apart since I cobbled it together, and it has not leaked one drop in several years.

Go your own way on what you put on the threads....just put something on them to help lube them up.

I also should specify that the thread type on most if not all hyd fittings and the aftermarket variant is NPTF. NPTF is designed to provide a more leak-free seal without the use of teflon tape or other sealant compound. NPTF threads are the same basic shape but with crest and root heights adjusted for an interference fit, eliminating the spiral leakage path.

NPT threads in the pipe/steam fitting world require some sort of sealant.

Fuel Log.JPGFitting 1.JPG
Last edited by jb500; 11/05/15 03:05 AM.
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1945469
11/05/15 02:51 AM
11/05/15 02:51 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Any time your using disimilar metals, brass and aluminum, it doesn't hurt to use a good pipe thread sealant like liquid pipe dope or teflon thread sealer up twocents the OEM factory didn't do that but the UAW workers where not gentle when tightening any parts on the assembly lines, the hated come backs tsk

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1945561
11/05/15 11:29 AM
11/05/15 11:29 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
best stuff i have used for over 20 years is loctite #567 thread sealant. it is a white teflon type paste that comes in a tube. it is for all types of metal fittings including stainless, as it helps to prevent galling of the threads. it can be used on water, gasoline, petroleum products, natural gas, propane, and butane. and is good at up to 300psig. and high temps as well. really good stuff in my opinion. up
beer

Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: moparx] #1945606
11/05/15 12:34 PM
11/05/15 12:34 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Started using this years ago on just about everything,"never" had a leak it wouldn't stop,gaskets/seals/fuel lines etc.

MVC-032S.JPG
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1947655
11/08/15 07:34 PM
11/08/15 07:34 PM
Albany, NY
67SATisfaction Offline OP
The member whose name is actually Art
67SATisfaction  Offline OP
The member whose name is actually Art

Albany, NY
wave thumbs Thanks all - my garage is now free of lingering gasoline odors and my young kids won't grow up with defects.

I had a small jar of teflon paste from NAPA. I pinched the supply-side fuel hose with a pair of vice grips wrapped in electrical tape to prevent marring. I backed each brass fitting off to expose a lot of the thread without unleashing a torrent of fuel. Applied the white teflon goop, then tightened them back down. Seems to be sealed now.

Cheers,
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1947677
11/08/15 08:18 PM
11/08/15 08:18 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:
wave thumbs Thanks all - my garage is now free of lingering gasoline odors and my young kids won't grow up with defects.

Seems to be sealed now.

Cheers,
- Art
Art that was too easy

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1947689
11/08/15 08:44 PM
11/08/15 08:44 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Glad you got it figured out and fixed up bow Now, onto rocket designing and building whistling grin

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1947879
11/09/15 02:01 AM
11/09/15 02:01 AM
WA
P
pro451bee Offline
super stock
pro451bee  Offline
super stock
P

WA
Brass to aluminum should not need any sealer , they are both soft metals used as gaskets , I always use steel wool on threads and a little oil or grease , then run it in and back out and in couple times .

Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: pro451bee] #1947961
11/09/15 10:08 AM
11/09/15 10:08 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Originally Posted By pro451bee
Brass to aluminum should not need any sealer , they are both soft metals used as gaskets , I always use steel wool on threads and a little oil or grease , then run it in and back out and in couple times .

I disagree,
I'm in the LP gas business since 1983 and have installed several thousand LP installations since. It's all aluminum regulators and brass fittings. I guarantee you it will leak without sealant. I don't care how much lube you use and how tight you get them, THEY NEED SEALANT I'm here to say.

Most of the pressures I'm dealing with is 10 PSI and 11" water column(1/2psi), so not much pressure except for the tank pressure, 50-125psi. So same as a carb fuel system for the most part.

If you try to tighten them that tight, Art would would crack his fuel pump housing and it's 3/8" not 1/4".

It's BS saying soft metals pipe threads don't need sealant because they do! Why not use sealant?

Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: jb500] #1947963
11/09/15 10:21 AM
11/09/15 10:21 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Originally Posted By jb500
Again, tape does not seal. It only is only a lubricant. It is a metal to metal seal. Any added substance, pipe dope, PTFE paste, and Loctite put on the threads only provide a slippery surface to allow the threads to be torqued to seal. NPT stuff is not the best option for items that will be taken apart often. The threads are deformed each time the fitting is tightened up. That is where the JIC 37deg fitting shines.

The pics show my setup and it has not been apart since I cobbled it together, and it has not leaked one drop in several years.

Go your own way on what you put on the threads....just put something on them to help lube them up.

I also should specify that the thread type on most if not all hyd fittings and the aftermarket variant is NPTF. NPTF is designed to provide a more leak-free seal without the use of teflon tape or other sealant compound. NPTF threads are the same basic shape but with crest and root heights adjusted for an interference fit, eliminating the spiral leakage path.

The hydraulic fittings you got there works obviously, but are not idea. They are heavy steel made for hi pressures and low volume with nasty 90° corners in them. They are not for fuel systems and neither is teflon tape. If you made big power and got into tire shake those heavy steel fittings could crack the aluminum fittings.

The teflon tape is a problem when you take it apart, almost impossible to get all the small pieces of tape out of the interior of the fittings and a big PIA.

Plus show us a picture of your rig after a few years use, not when it's new. All the white tape turns yellow...why do you think that happens?

Last edited by Challenger 1; 11/10/15 09:00 PM.
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: jb500] #1948366
11/09/15 09:43 PM
11/09/15 09:43 PM
North East USA
B
BIGGERED Offline
Reasonable Title
BIGGERED  Offline
Reasonable Title
B

North East USA

The certified hose and fitting guy made a number of errors in the way he plumbed his system. I am sure it works and does not leak but there are a number of issues with how this is plumbed.

Thank you

Red (the previously certified certifiable hydraulic plumbing guy)

Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: BIGGERED] #1948646
11/10/15 11:11 AM
11/10/15 11:11 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Originally Posted By BIGGERED

The certified hose and fitting guy made a number of errors in the way he plumbed his system. I am sure it works and does not leak but there are a number of issues with how this is plumbed.

Thank you

Red (the previously certified certifiable hydraulic plumbing guy)

Yup. A few people may want to take a look at this holly installation sheet. Link

Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: Challenger 1] #1950246
11/13/15 12:08 AM
11/13/15 12:08 AM
TN Hoosier
J
jb500 Offline
jb500  Offline
J

TN Hoosier
Originally Posted By Challenger 1

The hydraulic fittings you got there works obviously, but are not idea. They are heavy steel made for hi pressures and low volume with nasty 90° corners in them. They are not for fuel systems and neither is teflon tape. If you made big power and got into tire shake those heavy steel fittings could crack the aluminum fittings.

The teflon tape is a problem when you take it apart, almost impossible to get all the small pieces of tape out of the interior of the fittings and a big PIA.

Plus show us a picture of your rig after a few years use, not when it's new. All the white tape turns yellow...why do you think that happens?

What is your defintion of a few years??? What you are looking at is going on 6 years now. No issues with leaks and not been apart since it was assembled. Notice, the tape is not yellowed at all.

Also, bogus statement about hyd fittings being only high pressure and low volume. Please provide the evidence supporting otherwise. Steel fittings are the same as the $$$ AL variants. Exception being the smooth tube bend fittings. Those are a better flowing fitting, but not needed here.

Your natural gas installs most likely are not using NPTF threads and therefore, require a thread sealant. NGT is not NPTF.

Lastly, what glaring errors are you identifying in my set up? Curious on what you both think is wrong.

Last edited by jb500; 11/13/15 01:08 AM.
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1950340
11/13/15 03:03 AM
11/13/15 03:03 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
There are some scary fuel systems on these old cars.

I want my fair share
Re: Do you seal, or put teflon tape on your fuel pump fittings? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #1950454
11/13/15 12:40 PM
11/13/15 12:40 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted By SomeCarGuy
There are some scary fuel systems on these old cars.

iagree

Page 2 of 2 1 2