Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
/6 guru Doug Dutra put a 440 (not sure how built) in an early A (64 dart iirc) & the first time at the strip (4 sp) it cracked the back window and the windshield popped out (or vice versa/been decades) but both were fubared immediately from the launch.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: BB in early A-body [Re: Jamie McGrath] #1947403
11/08/15 08:23 AM
11/08/15 08:23 AM
pennsylvania
poboyengineering Offline OP
mopar
poboyengineering  Offline OP
mopar

pennsylvania
Originally Posted By Jamie McGrath
Once apon a time down Tucson Az way, there was a $100 bet made between two older gents who have now both passed on. Could you fit a 440 in a early A-body? Two weeks later there was a low rise duel quad 440 with 4spd, sporting Max Wedge manifolds between the fenders of a 65 Barracuda. Everything under the flat hood cleared even the small sandean A/C set up.

I called him back last night with this idea, and he got really excited. The bitchinlooks/nostalgia factor is over the top! Thanks for all the info.

It may be ugly, but it sure is slow.

Girls comb their hair in rear view mirrors and the boys try to look so hard....
Re: BB in early A-body [Re: poboyengineering] #1947612
11/08/15 05:32 PM
11/08/15 05:32 PM
Oregon
J
Jamie McGrath Offline
Jamie McGrath  Offline
J

Oregon
Originally Posted By poboyengineering
Originally Posted By Jamie McGrath
Once apon a time down Tucson Az way, there was a $100 bet made between two older gents who have now both passed on. Could you fit a 440 in a early A-body? Two weeks later there was a low rise duel quad 440 with 4spd, sporting Max Wedge manifolds between the fenders of a 65 Barracuda. Everything under the flat hood cleared even the small sandean A/C set up.

I called him back last night with this idea, and he got really excited. The bitchinlooks/nostalgia factor is over the top! Thanks for all the info.

Yea, it was a pretty quick little street car, MadMopars might remember it but he might also have been too young too see it run in its prime. I know his Dad Ratkillr will remember it for sure. Jeff Schank owned and built it, back in the day he raced Bill Table out on Kolb Rd against his blown 68 Road Runner, Bill came up short all three times.

I remember Jeff's combo well, nothing crazy 1965 Barracuda 440, MW manifolds, a-body 4spd with scatter shield E-body pistol grip, Offy dual quad intake, Air cleaner was a modified base with coyote duster lid, Mopar 528 solid cam, exhaust was 3in with 4 min muffs. The front brakes were a-body disks. The rear end was a pretty neat set up A-body 8.75 with floater, gear was 3.91's with Imperial rear disks. I don't remember what offset he used but the rear tire was a 275/60/15 and it cleared without rubbing and this car saw a ton of street driving.

Here is a funny true story, Jeff had sold a bunch of hemi parts too a guy in Phoenix and they decided too meet at the Arizona Cuda and Challenger show. Well Jeff's truck wouldn't fire up, so he looked at the little Cuda it too had a trailer hitch and the plan was hatched, hook it up. Jeff passed Me and My buddy on I-10 between Casa Grande and Eloy running 65mph windows rolled up and the AC blowing pulling a 17ft trailer loaded up with hemi parts.

Now, Tucson too Paradise Valley is a long hot haul in the summer time we were expecting Jeff too break down so we kept our eyes out for him but we didn't see him along the way. Well when we got too the car show there was Jeff, he had made good time beating us there by about 20min.

On the way home we caught up too him at the gas station filling up and I asked how was he doing and how was the car holding up? He said he and the car were just fine while he was checking the his gas mileage as he looked up and proclaimed. Not too bad I knocked down 15mpg with the Ac blowing, cruse control on pulling a loaded 17ft trailer. How's your day going?

Good times!

Re: BB in early A-body [Re: poboyengineering] #1948005
11/09/15 12:14 PM
11/09/15 12:14 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
To gain front turning radius with fenderwells I cut the floor pan behind the front wheels just enough to set the tubes back some when I built my race headers for the stock front end. What you end up with is a nice spot to rest your foot next to the doors once you box them in again! smile

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Page 2 of 2 1 2