Idabel,Oklahoma
G
Gary Robbins Offline
super stock
Gary Robbins  Offline
super stock
G

Idabel,Oklahoma

While on the subject of fuel injection how does a throttle body style self learning style compare to the type of system that's being talked about...say on a 600hp or less pump gas engine ?

http://www.fitechefi.com/

20150109_172802.jpg20150109_172437.jpg
Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: redmist] #1870845
07/15/15 12:28 PM
07/15/15 12:28 PM
Metro Detroit
OUTLAWD Offline
top fuel
OUTLAWD  Offline
top fuel

Metro Detroit
Originally Posted By redmist

You can read my entire thread on how I home built the system, from start to finish here: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,99432.0.html

Nice write-up! up

Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

71 Swinger - slowly collecting dust/parts
66 Belv. II - just a streetcar
88 Mustang - turbo LS beater
Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1870944
07/15/15 03:27 PM
07/15/15 03:27 PM
Dandridge TN
D
Dabee Offline
master
Dabee  Offline
master
D

Dandridge TN
Originally Posted By Spartan040
Sweet, thank God for being born in Florida (only time in my life I thought I'd say that).

Say I build the 440/512 stroker with flat top pistons, aluminum heads, the proper roller camshaft, 3.54 gears, TTI 2" Headers, windage tray, and the fuel injection system I'm talking about, all hooked up with a Gear Vendors 727 auto. About how much horsepower and foot pounds of torque could I expect? Anyone have any dyno results from a similar build?

I have a similar built 512 in my 69 Bee. Indy EZ -1 heads, dish pistons and small flat tappet hydraulic cam. I also run a 727, GV and 3.54 rear. I built this engine for the street and to run on pump gas. Never put it on a dyno, so I can't tell you the HP. On a carb it went 11.7 in the 1/4 on a 90 degree day. Not bad for a 4000 lb brick with PS, PB and AC. Four months ago I ditched the carb and installed a FAST 2.0 throttle body EFI. Love it. I don't believe the EFI did much to increase HP but as expected the engine runs much better over the intire RPM range now. I love the fact that the FAST control box lets me build my ignition curve, then controls it. I also like the real time display and not needing to use a laptop for set up or making changes. The FAST may be more expensive than the route you are considering but for my application I believe it was the best choice. Good luck with what ever system you decide on.

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1870960
07/15/15 04:22 PM
07/15/15 04:22 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Sweet, thank God for being born in Florida (only time in my life I thought I'd say that).

Say I build the 440/512 stroker with flat top pistons, aluminum heads, the proper roller camshaft, 3.54 gears, TTI 2" Headers, windage tray, and the fuel injection system I'm talking about, all hooked up with a Gear Vendors 727 auto. About how much horsepower and foot pounds of torque could I expect? Anyone have any dyno results from a similar build?

It all depends on what you are building it for but with 512 cubes you can make 500 hp 600 ft/lbs that should run on 87 reg almost by accident.

If this is a 90% street build I wouldn't even consider a roller. Too much $$ for too little/no return.

My street engine parts choice criteria is pretty simple. Will it go 100,000 miles minimum without taking off the valve covers for more than lash adjustments? Short of stock cam late model hydraulic rollers, I'm not aware of any.

Most people that go roller do so because they buy into the all the hype.

Kevin

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Dabee] #1870967
07/15/15 04:47 PM
07/15/15 04:47 PM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Originally Posted By Dabee

I have a similar built 512 in my 69 Bee. Indy EZ -1 heads, dish pistons and small flat tappet hydraulic cam. I also run a 727, GV and 3.54 rear. I built this engine for the street and to run on pump gas. Never put it on a dyno, so I can't tell you the HP. On a carb it went 11.7 in the 1/4 on a 90 degree day. Not bad for a 4000 lb brick with PS, PB and AC. Four months ago I ditched the carb and installed a FAST 2.0 throttle body EFI. Love it. I don't believe the EFI did much to increase HP but as expected the engine runs much better over the intire RPM range now. I love the fact that the FAST control box lets me build my ignition curve, then controls it. I also like the real time display and not needing to use a laptop for set up or making changes. The FAST may be more expensive than the route you are considering but for my application I believe it was the best choice. Good luck with what ever system you decide on.

That sounds awesome! I think I want flat top pistons though for higher compression especially if I go with aluminum 440 Source stealth heads. However, I would have my heads ported in a different way, instead of making the ports large & straight I would work on air speed , twist & swirl to cause the air to enter the cylinder at a better angle & create swirl to better mix & suspend fuel. I have been told doing it this way really helps both performance and fuel mileage (according to Chryco Psycho on cuda-challenger.com). Normally I wouldn't care about that on a hotrod, but I'd love to be able to drive this on long road trips or in town without having to fill up every 100 miles. The fuel injection and GV 727 should also help with that.

A controller tablet would be great, I'm considering the Holley system for that reason (cheaper than FAST and MS3 doesn't have the tablet).

By the way, what is the max compression ratio I can run with 93 octane? Is 10.5-11.5 pushing it?

Last edited by Spartan040; 07/15/15 04:48 PM.
Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1870975
07/15/15 05:03 PM
07/15/15 05:03 PM
Tampa
D
DusterDave Offline
top fuel
DusterDave  Offline
top fuel
D

Tampa
Spartan040, post a pic or two of your Challenger!

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210
Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1870997
07/15/15 05:56 PM
07/15/15 05:56 PM
BC, Canada
Black_Bee Offline
pro stock
Black_Bee  Offline
pro stock

BC, Canada
I am just finishing up a full sequential (fuel and spark) MegaSquirt build, and that Holley HP EFI price is shockingly close to what I have into my build.

Although I tried, I wasn't able to source any used sensors or pigtails from the junkyard, and that stuff adds up very quickly! I am completely satisfied with the MegaSquirt so far, but some of the features on the Holley system sure sound nice... simply being able to install the ECU in the engine compartment being at the top of my list!

Paul
'69 Super Bee 383 EFI Turbo
Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1871021
07/15/15 06:47 PM
07/15/15 06:47 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
EFI pricing is all over the board, because people never compare apples to apples. When it comes down to it, all the ancillary parts are parts and cost what they cost, regardless of system. The cost of the ECU is the MAIN thing. As stated the Holley HP ECU, which has tons of features, such as 4 stage nitrous controller, built in data logger, the ability to run CNP ignition, built in boost control, built in water/meth controls, 31x31 resolution fuel tables, 20 programmable inputs and outputs and lots of other things, LISTS for $1100. The Dominator ECU, which adds a second wideband, the ability to run DBW throttle bodies and an electronic trans and has 40 inputs and outputs, lists for $1900. They both work on a can bus system are can link directly with two available dashes we have. The data logger is GREAT and can be programmed to read ANY sensor you choose to use. External G-meters, shock sensors, transducers, speed sensors, whatever, it will read it.

We have non terminated "build your own" harnesses, as well as plug n play harnesses for about anything, including late HEMIs, LS motors and Coyote Mustangs.

The key is knowing what you NEED. You look on Summit and see an EFI "kit" for 3k and think wow, that's high. But that "kit" probably has a manifold, throttle body, injectors, maybe a pump and reg, along with other stuff. then you see that Billy Bob on Moparts, put a "kit" together with this and that and spent fourteen dollars and think the HOlley is way high. Again, NOT the case when you get down to buying what you NEED. So the ECU is the thing. And as I stated earlier, if a build it yourself $300 ECU will do all YOU need to do, that's fine, that's what you should do. But DON'T compare it to another brand and say it does ALL the same stuff at a 1/3 the cost, because it does NOT.

You can pay $250 for a set of factory injectors, $400 for some Holley injectors, $750 for some from Injector Clinic, or $1100 for some from Billet Atomizer and they ALL flow the same lb/hr of fuel. Again, depends on what you WANT and what you NEED.

And I don't care who makes it, be it Holley, FAST, BS3, Mega-Squirt, etc............for the SAME features in an ECU, you WILL pay similar money and that's just the way it is.

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1871132
07/15/15 09:08 PM
07/15/15 09:08 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
EFI pricing is all over the board, because people never compare apples to apples. When it comes down to it, all the ancillary parts are parts and cost what they cost, regardless of system. The cost of the ECU is the MAIN thing. As stated the Holley HP ECU, which has tons of features, such as 4 stage nitrous controller, built in data logger, the ability to run CNP ignition, built in boost control, built in water/meth controls, 31x31 resolution fuel tables, 20 programmable inputs and outputs and lots of other things, LISTS for $1100. The Dominator ECU, which adds a second wideband, the ability to run DBW throttle bodies and an electronic trans and has 40 inputs and outputs, lists for $1900. They both work on a can bus system are can link directly with two available dashes we have. The data logger is GREAT and can be programmed to read ANY sensor you choose to use. External G-meters, shock sensors, transducers, speed sensors, whatever, it will read it.

We have non terminated "build your own" harnesses, as well as plug n play harnesses for about anything, including late HEMIs, LS motors and Coyote Mustangs.

The key is knowing what you NEED. You look on Summit and see an EFI "kit" for 3k and think wow, that's high. But that "kit" probably has a manifold, throttle body, injectors, maybe a pump and reg, along with other stuff. then you see that Billy Bob on Moparts, put a "kit" together with this and that and spent fourteen dollars and think the HOlley is way high. Again, NOT the case when you get down to buying what you NEED. So the ECU is the thing. And as I stated earlier, if a build it yourself $300 ECU will do all YOU need to do, that's fine, that's what you should do. But DON'T compare it to another brand and say it does ALL the same stuff at a 1/3 the cost, because it does NOT.

You can pay $250 for a set of factory injectors, $400 for some Holley injectors, $750 for some from Injector Clinic, or $1100 for some from Billet Atomizer and they ALL flow the same lb/hr of fuel. Again, depends on what you WANT and what you NEED.

And I don't care who makes it, be it Holley, FAST, BS3, Mega-Squirt, etc............for the SAME features in an ECU, you WILL pay similar money and that's just the way it is.

You have a lot of patience, Monte.

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1871171
07/15/15 09:58 PM
07/15/15 09:58 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
I just despise misinformation that's get spread so much that it is taken for fact.

Happens a lot here

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 07/15/15 10:13 PM.
Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1871242
07/15/15 11:50 PM
07/15/15 11:50 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
I think this is the best bucks down option there is if you have a technical sense of adventure.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post1376624

GM LS ecm's are cheap and plentiful and the tuning support is practically on every corner.

Kevin

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: BobR] #1871314
07/16/15 01:10 AM
07/16/15 01:10 AM
5th and plum
R
redmist Offline
enthusiast
redmist  Offline
enthusiast
R

5th and plum
Originally Posted By BobR

Yes it IS the case for me, I don't need frickin 4 stages of nitrous control for hell sakes, come on man! haha

Sorry Monte, but for the average user, the Holley stuff is way over priced, and a system can be built by "Billy Bob" for way less. If you swapped a Holley ECU into my car, and everything remained the same, it would be MORE expensive. there is no getting around it.

I am sure some day when I go to grab that 4th kit of nitrous and it's not there, I will regret my MS3X install.

I am on your side here ya know, I don't know why you are getting so pissed off at me. I am providing options for the OP, and I have backed your system in every post... It's a nicer system, It has more options, (or does it??) most not needed. It's much more refined, however it is also not as user serviceable and costs more.... And you know what?? THATS OK!!

smoke

Last edited by redmist; 07/16/15 01:40 AM.
Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1871319
07/16/15 01:15 AM
07/16/15 01:15 AM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Hard to argue against the Holley system.
The trouble with a "new to efi" buyer, is they usually don't know how important some functions/ capabilities are. Not to mention, the poor job that many manufacturers do at explaining what the system limitations are before the sale. I can't tell you how many guys tell me,
"It said in the description it was capable of data logging." Or... "it said it can control fans and idle speed motors." "Capable" used in efi sales usually (or at least it used to)means- It will do it if you pay to up-grade. It seems Holley has distanced themselves from that. Good. I hope they all follow suit.
Actual or sample software is available for every efi system out there. I suggest trying them if you plan on going efi, and see what works for you. If you plan on being hands off, and having someone do set up and tuning for you, get the system they suggest.
My concern with this post is that intake. As nice as it looks, is it capable of flowing the air it needs to make the OP's expected naturally asp power?

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: TRENDZ] #1871333
07/16/15 01:38 AM
07/16/15 01:38 AM
5th and plum
R
redmist Offline
enthusiast
redmist  Offline
enthusiast
R

5th and plum
from Matt Cramer...

This is comparing the two ECU's Monte is talking about.

I'll compare the MS3-Pro to the Holley HP, as this one is closest in price. Both of them are fully sealed ECUs with self tuning capabilities for fuel, sequential fuel injection, and full support of the 58X LS ignition, and both have two knock sensor inputs.

Price with generic harness: $1199 for the MS3-Pro, $1575.95 for the Holley HP

LS drop on harnesses: Currently available for the Holley HP, in development for the MS3-Pro

Traction control: Built in on MS3-Pro, uses external module on all Holley variants

Boost control: Both can do open or closed loop.

Launch control: Both allow a 2 and 3 step rev limiter. MS3-Pro can also control a trans brake, variable launch input for the 2-step mode, and trans brake creep for turbo staging.

Staged injection (V: Standard on the MS3-Pro, available on Holley Dominator but not HP

Extra input channels: The MS3-Pro has 3 analog, 4 switched, and 3 high frequency switched inputs. Holley HP has 4 general purpose inputs.

Extra output channels: MS3-Pro has 8, Holley HP has 4.

Wideband controller support: External on MS3-Pro, internal on Holley

Nitrous stages: 2 on MS3-Pro, 4 on Holley - Both can run progressive.

Internal data logging: 8 GB on MS3-Pro, 4 GB on Holley

Individual cylinder trim: Holley uses a fixed amount for each cylinder. MS3-Pro uses 6 x 6 individual trim tables.

Load methods: Holley supports speed density or alpha-N. MS3-Pro supports speed density, alpha-N, and MAF.

Diagnostics: Both offer some level of check engine functionality. The MS3-Pro is capable of detecting failed MAP or cam sensors and entering a fall-back mode automatically. The fallback for a failed MAP sensor does require tuning.

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1871371
07/16/15 03:09 AM
07/16/15 03:09 AM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Originally Posted By Dabee

That sounds awesome! I think I want flat top pistons though for higher compression especially if I go with aluminum 440 Source stealth heads. However, I would have my heads ported in a different way, instead of making the ports large & straight I would work on air speed , twist & swirl to cause the air to enter the cylinder at a better angle & create swirl to better mix & suspend fuel. I have been told doing it this way really helps both performance and fuel mileage (according to Chryco Psycho on cuda-challenger.com). Normally I wouldn't care about that on a hotrod, but I'd love to be able to drive this on long road trips or in town without having to fill up every 100 miles. The fuel injection and GV 727 should also help with that.

A controller tablet would be great, I'm considering the Holley system for that reason (cheaper than FAST and MS3 doesn't have the tablet).

By the way, what is the max compression ratio I can run with 93 octane? Is 10.5-11.5 pushing it?

Link to my 440 source 505" stroker build from 2011-2012 before I converted to the EFI.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1024413/1.html

Sorry no real dyno numbers, but I would think somewhere around 550 HP (sea level) and alot of torque! I can't hook up my 255x60x15 BFG T/As to get a good ET, best I have managed was high 13's at around 105 MPH, but my convertible weighed 4,450 lbs on the track scales, 3.54:1 dana 60 / 5-speed manual trans. Sticky tires should drop ET to high 12's or low 13's, and going from Bandimeres altitude to something closer to sea level should drop the car into the high 11's (with traction?)
Also, there may be more in the engine? I have not done much to tune the Edelbrock EFI since I was planning on change it to the FAST controller and Dist. I'm still learning on the EFI stuff, but I bought the FAST XFI 2.0 before knowing about the MS3 PRO. At the time, I was still under the impression that the Mega Squirt was still a build it yourself kit.
I could have adapted my Edelbrock harness to the FAST computer but just opted to get the FAST harness which is a bit expensive like the controller, and dist. Anyhow, changing it over from the Edelbrock system should be mostly plug and play?

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: redmist] #1871377
07/16/15 03:53 AM
07/16/15 03:53 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
from Matt Cramer...

This is comparing the two ECU's Monte is talking about.

I'll compare the MS3-Pro to the Holley HP, as this one is closest in price. Both of them are fully sealed ECUs with self tuning capabilities for fuel, sequential fuel injection, and full support of the 58X LS ignition, and both have two knock sensor inputs.

Price with generic harness: $1199 for the MS3-Pro, $1575.95 for the Holley HP

LS drop on harnesses: Currently available for the Holley HP, in development for the MS3-Pro

Traction control: Built in on MS3-Pro, uses external module on all Holley variants

Boost control: Both can do open or closed loop.

Launch control: Both allow a 2 and 3 step rev limiter. MS3-Pro can also control a trans brake, variable launch input for the 2-step mode, and trans brake creep for turbo staging.

Staged injection (V: Standard on the MS3-Pro, available on Holley Dominator but not HP

Extra input channels: The MS3-Pro has 3 analog, 4 switched, and 3 high frequency switched inputs. Holley HP has 4 general purpose inputs.

Extra output channels: MS3-Pro has 8, Holley HP has 4.

Wideband controller support: External on MS3-Pro, internal on Holley

Nitrous stages: 2 on MS3-Pro, 4 on Holley - Both can run progressive.

Internal data logging: 8 GB on MS3-Pro, 4 GB on Holley

Individual cylinder trim: Holley uses a fixed amount for each cylinder. MS3-Pro uses 6 x 6 individual trim tables.

Load methods: Holley supports speed density or alpha-N. MS3-Pro supports speed density, alpha-N, and MAF.

Diagnostics: Both offer some level of check engine functionality. The MS3-Pro is capable of detecting failed MAP or cam sensors and entering a fall-back mode automatically. The fallback for a failed MAP sensor does require tuning.
Uhhh.........I think you just proved my point and that being for similar features, you have similar cost, regardless of who makes the box. And no the Holley does not support MAF, but you can use Speed Density, Alpha-N or a combination of both. Is calibrated for lb/hr fueling strategies but can also switch to VE. Also for the price listed, the Holley comes with a 02 sensor, MAP, coolant and IAT, the MS3-Pro does not. So that pretty much makes the cost of either system a wash. Which is what I said from the very beginning. Similar features, similar cost.

Can you DO it cheaper than either of the two above options.......sure you can. Guys do it all the time, just like you did. But we/Holley do not offer a low buck, build it yourself ECU "kit" and have no intention of doing so. That is NOT the market we targeted, nor intended to. We had a lower cost system with the Commander 950, but choice to drop that production and concentrate on a higher level product. The new V3 software that is due any time will add even more features to the boxes. I currently HAVE the V3 myself and it is really nice. So V3 is soon to come and V4 is already in development. Do we strive to be the absolute cheapest........NO and we won't. What we DO strive for is to give you a full featured system at a good price, which we do.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT putting down the Mega-Squirt, it is a fine system that comes in various levels. My only thing is people commenting that the Holley is $1500 and the Mega-Squirt is $400 and do the same thing. That is obviously not true, as shown above, to get features comparable, you must step to the MS3-Pro and the prices are virtually the same.

Now if the $400 box does all you need.........that's what you should buy

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: redmist] #1871378
07/16/15 03:57 AM
07/16/15 03:57 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By BobR

Yes it IS the case for me, I don't need frickin 4 stages of nitrous control for hell sakes, come on man! haha

Sorry Monte, but for the average user, the Holley stuff is way over priced, and a system can be built by "Billy Bob" for way less. If you swapped a Holley ECU into my car, and everything remained the same, it would be MORE expensive. there is no getting around it.

I am sure some day when I go to grab that 4th kit of nitrous and it's not there, I will regret my MS3X install.

I am on your side here ya know, I don't know why you are getting so pissed off at me. I am providing options for the OP, and I have backed your system in every post... It's a nicer system, It has more options, (or does it??) most not needed. It's much more refined, however it is also not as user serviceable and costs more.... And you know what?? THATS OK!!

smoke
I am not mad or pissed at all........only trying to get you to compare apples to apples, which you FINALLY did in your last post. NO, we do NOT make a bare bones ultra low cost system and do not intend to. "Overpriced" depends entirely on what you want the system to do. And how do you know who the "average user" is or what that market entails. You think it costs too much, that's fine.........all I know is we sell them faster than we can make them. Must be that several people like what they get for the cost. And for the HP to be very new on the market as compared to FAST, BS3 and others, I think that speaks pretty well

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 07/16/15 04:03 AM.
Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1871380
07/16/15 04:04 AM
07/16/15 04:04 AM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
I'm not looking for the cheapest route possible. Someone once told me you buy expensive once and you don't have to again for a long time. Buy cheap, and you'll have to keep doing so for a long time. So I'm looking most strongly at the MS3 Pro, and the Holley HP and Dominator.

As for Challenger pics, wish I had some, hell I wish I had the car. I'm only planning out a build right now, so when I am ready I know exactly what to buy and how to build it.

As for the throttle body, it flows 1100 cfm, I'm pretty sure that's enough

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: Spartan040] #1871387
07/16/15 04:52 AM
07/16/15 04:52 AM
Sac, CA, USA
N
ntstlgl1970 Offline
mopar
ntstlgl1970  Offline
mopar
N

Sac, CA, USA
I think that no matter what, guys have multiple good options out there compared to just a few years ago (Accel DFI anyone?) with features that were unheard of outside of OE applications. I also want to say thanks to Monte for sharing info on the Holley system(s), if they were around when I started my conversion, I would have gone that route.

Re: Fuel Injection for 440/512 stroker? [Re: ntstlgl1970] #1871827
07/16/15 08:42 PM
07/16/15 08:42 PM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
I really like the sound of the two Holley systems and the MS3 Pro, I'll just have to weigh what each one has

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5