Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
Again, I'm not expert, but I do have LOTS of experience. The tubular arms a win win situation. Lighter, stronger and better geometry than factory, will improve the alignment specs and the feel of the front end. Like I said, can't lose. The thing many have overlooked on the spindle debate is, the real travel of the front susp between the bumpstops. Sure the bumpsteer (the amount the toe changes through the travel) seems to be excessive at full droop, but between my upper bumpstops and heavy shocks and 250lb t bars, its not likely it can ever be even close. I am using the fatman drop spindles in order to tuck the wheel in the fender a little more, and do it with more preload on my t-bars, which will make them stiffer (thats what I want). I can understand the concerns, but have not seenanyone have a problem. My suspension in particular has only about an 1-2 inches of travel anyway. I'd say buy the uppers, realign and have nice day.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: NJK66] #17833
10/28/05 12:47 PM
10/28/05 12:47 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

My car is 1966 Coronet street cruiser that will make an occasional pass down the drag strip. At best it will be a high 14 second car. Vehicle will maintain stock front end ride height. Slightly raised in the rear.
My question is; if I were to use a stock upper control arm, with the taller spindles, what are the potential safety issues? I guess I am not quite understanding what the 3/8 in. of height in the spindle does to the front end geometry to a point it becomes dangerous and under what driving conditions will it become risky? If someone can explain the cause/effect of the mechanical side of things, I can make an sound decision for my application. Spending the $350 isn't a big deal for the FFI tube control arms if this prevents me from hurting myself or someone else. On the other hand, I don't want to spend $350 for UPA's where the stockers will be OK for my application.
Thanks for all of the replies, lots of good info.

you're fine using your stockers, IMHO (I'm an engineer, too

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: NJK66] #17834
10/28/05 01:36 PM
10/28/05 01:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Vehicle will maintain stock front end ride height. Slightly raised in the rear.
My question is; if I were to use a stock upper control arm, with the taller spindles, what are the potential safety issues? I guess I am not quite understanding what the 3/8 in. of height in the spindle does to the front end geometry to a point it becomes dangerous and under what driving conditions will it become risky? If someone can explain the cause/effect of the mechanical side of things, I can make an sound decision for my application. Spending the $350 isn't a big deal for the FFI tube control arms if this prevents me from hurting myself or someone else. On the other hand, I don't want to spend $350 for UPA's where the stockers will be OK for my application.
Thanks for all of the replies, lots of good info.

potential problems
1 Running out of travel on upper ball joint. Especially if you're running stock or undersized (6cyl) T-bars. This is a legend that has been perpetuated by Eberg, et al. I was concerned so I checked travel on my car before using. I found the stock original equipment 30+ year old joints were FINE. However, I'm dealing with an A-body. For your peace of mind check to make sure your UBJ setup doesn't bind thoughout full suspension travel. Best done with T-bars removed. If it does-easily remedied with FFI upper arms.

2 Bumpsteer/toe change-- What torsion bars are you planning to run? With stock T-bars you will see many inches of suspension travel. The bumpsteer or change in toe will be more evident. What does this mean? You may need to make a minor steering correction to keep the car on your intended path. Will it feel worse than a 1966 Coronet did when it left the showroom on bias ply tires, I doubt it...
I'm running 1.20 bars on my car and G-Machine is also running much larger bars. And we're both at much lower than stock ride height. Our suspension travel is greatly reduced compared to stock so for me... bumpsteer has not been an issue. YMMV

my qualifications
BS in engineering
former professional driving instructor
20+ years racing and autocrossing
4 top 10 finishes at SoloII nationals

Remember all the advice over the internet is free, you get what you pay for. Hopefully you have the info you need to make your own decision. I was not encouraging nor discouraging use of alternate spindles, merely explaning what you get when you use them.

Montclaire - you're almost enough to make me go back to GM products

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles #17835
10/28/05 02:02 PM
10/28/05 02:02 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
Autoxr,
Do you happen to know how FFI addressed the tall spindles? On their web site, it only states that their UCA's are OK for either type. I ASSume that this means they slightly adjusted the angle of the UBJ to account for any potential for overcentering, but they don't say.

Agreed on the suspension travel. My 1.14's only allow about 2.5-3" of travel at full drop...

BTW, if you go back to the dark side, can I have your Valiant? Elvira could use the company, and yours currently runs...

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Clair_Davis] #17836
10/28/05 03:37 PM
10/28/05 03:37 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
FFI tweaked the angle of the upper ball joint to center it more in the range of use.

I've been to FFI a lot of times and they have a pretty nice engineering area setup with front clips out of various body styles. This allows them to do fitments and to run the suspensions thru the full travel to check bump steer and camber gain.

I haven't actually checked the numbers on my car but I should do that. I do know that with the FFI arms the ball joint isn't anywhere close to over-extending. I've checked my setup by pulling the torsion bars out and running it full travel. It all looks pretty good to me but I do not know what my bump steer numbers are or what the change in the other settings are as the suspension travels full range.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: AndyF] #17837
10/28/05 08:57 PM
10/28/05 08:57 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
I'm using ancient (10 year old) magnumforce arms on mine, and have been very happy with them. I was into to this WAY BEFORE it came into vogue over the last 1-2 yrs.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: BradH] #17838
10/29/05 01:43 AM
10/29/05 01:43 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Everyone seems to have different opinions about this subject. What I'd like to know is: what qualifications does everyone posting here have, so that way we can know the education or experience everyone has when it comes to auto repairs/racing/engineering, etc.?

-BS engineering Iowa State University
-SAE Mini Formula Design team suspension design and team leader for scratch built race car.
-Autocross 68 Barracuda with A-body disk brake conversion:
-Completed many suspension design seminars and classes
-own extensive suspension design resource library

-Created the first website dedicated to technical aspect of Mopar suspension modifications http://hometown.aol.com/pwall5/cars/2cudapag.html
-One of the founding fathers of the Mopax web group uniting Mopar owners that autocross and road race their cars.
-Draw from and contribute to the knowledge base in the Mopax web group that has some of the top performing Mopar race cars in the country.

-16 years suspension design on stock based suspension then 90% fabricated suspension design
-Suspension design as member of 2005 Nascar track championship team
-Most wins in class during last 3 years
-Race team is prototype “house” car for leading chassis builder
-During and before championship season performed many suspension geometry changes with actual recorded geometry measurements before and after AND complete on track performance analysis and measurements.
-Changed roll centers, camber curves, effective spindle heights, UCA angles, lengths, dive angle…. on and on… And those were the more common changes.
-Trained on various computer suspension design programs like the one Reilly uses.
-Trained and access to $10K shock dyno, computer weight scales, bump steer gauges, tire pyrometers, tire humidity, and other suspension analysis equipment.

I agree with what Autoxr says and has found by experience. Tall spindles ok and not mandatory to have tubular uppers. I have found the same to be true in my testing.

I have seen and witnessed the Moog K772 upper ball joint take a ton of abuse with no failure in sheering and braking. These are the same UBJ used in allmost all the Nascar suspensions. They are used because they are such stout pieces.

I have seen the K772 not fail when:
-the tubular upper control arm was pretzel'd by a 100 mph concrete wall impact
-tubular steer tie rod sleeves were snapped in half
-lower control arms were pretzel'd
-tubular upper control arm to frame shafts were sheared off
-whole suspension was shoved up into the chassis and the ball joint pin was WAY over extended to the degree that the tubular A-arm to ball joint ring was shared off. The rim ended up higher than the fender

I have seen the K772 ball joint pins get bent and the socket not move freely after a hard hit.

I have seen the K772 fail in shear or pulling the socket out on rare occasion with accidents that were so bad that it would not matter if it was still connected. The entire suspensions were smashed into and "stuck" into the chassis in those cases.

All that said, I do understand a magazine and factory engineers not approving this "swap". A swap is for everything equal. This is not everything equal and thus not technically a "swap". IMHO, the tall spindle issue is sooo closely related and "assumed" to a disk brake "swap" people are afraid of the liability issues.

Although a carb change is not a swap either. There was a carb shop that specialized in carter carbs in Missouri that wound not sell you jets unless you sent a letter to them telling your car was not street driven.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: autoxcuda] #17839
10/29/05 10:34 AM
10/29/05 10:34 AM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
AutoX, I hope you haven't taken any of my opinions on this personally, and I've tried to always show that the main problem I have with this idea is to present it as a 'swap', as you've said. Guys like you who go out and autocross these cars will take the time to check your geometry, modify other parts, recognize problems, etc. while the average guy out there reading a mag would be prone to just slap them on and never give it another thought. And I've never hidden the fact that I have zero professional knowledge when it comes to these things, and sice I can't do a full study on how things are effected, I can't say if it's good or bad, just present what's out there. If that means staying on the side of caution, so be it. But you have to admit, when you take into account that most of these cars are 35 years old or more, the abuse an old unibody has most likely gone through, and then gauge that by some of the questions we get on here concerning suspension swaps, by no means are we dealing with a bunch of experts. At least on average. I think recommending the FF upper arms be used with the taller spindles is a good solution to this whole thing, as it does seem to solve the problem in my opinion, and it will most likely allow the car to get near the desired geometry. As far as MM, they only make the problem worse and confuse the issue. SO look at it how you want to, but you're going to spend the money somewhere. Either you're going to spend the bucks for the 'right' spindles, pay for the FF arms, or pay to have the geometry professionally evaluated after putting in the 'wrong' ones. It's all the same. But as you say, it's not a 'swap' and shouldn't be put out there as one. I wish we'd finally get this into the archives so we can just post a link when the question comes up, I'm tired of writing so much every three weeks or so.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Montclaire] #17840
10/29/05 12:01 PM
10/29/05 12:01 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

My taller spindles have been on since 1992. Zero problems of any kind. Getting it aligned was no problem ...

That's the key mistake. 99.99% of alignment shops do a static alignment. Nobody ever said there would be a problem getting OK static angles. But the suspension moves ...it's what happens during this movement that's at the root of this controversy. Unless you have your own alignment rig and lots of time, or access / $$$ to have this checked/tweaked at a race-chassis shop, I can't see why anyone would want to risk buiding an ill-handling car. Esp. when properly-forged repros of the right knuckles are readily available. We're not talking '71 Cuda grilles here!

Go drive an F, J, or M-body fast on an undulating rural two-lane. Now do the same on a good, stock A, '62-'72 B, or E-body. Anyone who's been there and done that will instantly agree that bump-steer - which the static alignment will never see - is nasty. A lowered, stiffened, limited-suspension-travel car would be less of a problem in this area than a normal spring-rate stocker, BTW.

BTW, I can't believe this is still being discussed. Jeez!

Rick

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Montclaire] #17841
10/29/05 12:06 PM
10/29/05 12:06 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

AutoX, I hope you haven't taken any of my opinions on this personally, and I've tried to always show that the main problem I have with this idea is to present it as a 'swap', as you've said.

No, I realize nothing personal. No worries.

I wouldn't say this is an dead equal to equal "swap". BUT the effective results are near original. This a "change" more than a swap.

Putting front and rear aftermarket sway bars is a change not a swap. Aftermarket performance shock (KYB) is a change not a swap. Those changes are much MORE significant in safety changes than the F-body spindle swap.

So if those kind changes above don't bother you, the spindle shouldn't either.

I do lots of changes to my suspension, so I'm looking for any performance benefits. Mustangs, F-body GM's and A-body GM's all have templates out there to totally change the upper control arm to chassis mounting points. These changes move the upper control arm at a greater angle, change anti dive a little too, and change the roll center more than we are talking here. People do alter factory geometries without their cars blowing up spontaneously like a scene out of the old CHiPs TV show.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #17842
10/29/05 06:50 PM
10/29/05 06:50 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
Quote:

Go drive an F, J, or M-body fast on an undulating rural two-lane. Now do the same on a good, stock A, '62-'72 B, or E-body. Anyone who's been there and done that will instantly agree that bump-steer - which the static alignment will never see - is nasty.

This says to me that the problem with bump steer is inherent to the F/J/M suspension design, not (necessarily) the extra height of the spindle. Unless, of course, swapping, er, chagning an F/J/M spindle out for a 73+ A-body spindle corrects the bump steer. If that's the case, this is a detail I have somehow missed until now.

Quote:

I can't see why anyone would want to risk buiding an ill-handling car. Esp. when properly-forged repros of the right knuckles are readily available.

Where can I get repros of the A-body knuckles? Unless they're crazy expensive, it might be worth just getting those for a future project rather than scrounging up another pair of the correct A's.

Quote:

BTW, I can't believe this is still being discussed. Jeez!

IMHO, it's still still being discussed because of supply and demand. In the same way that C-barges are near-universal drivetrain donors, 73-76 disk brake A-bodies are the universal brake donors. There were only so many made, and the ones that aren't still on the road, have about an 80% probability of being picked over for the brake parts, at least around here. The supply is drying up. F/J/M's have up to 10 more years of production, and are more likely to be held by the high-turnover yards than the "old stuff".

Clair

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Clair_Davis] #17843
10/29/05 07:07 PM
10/29/05 07:07 PM
Holly/MI
D
Dean_Kuzluzski Offline
master
Dean_Kuzluzski  Offline
master
D

Holly/MI
A "tall-spindle on a so equipped factory car isn't going to give you the same "bumpsteer" affect as putting them on an E-body, A-body or pre-72 B-body. The "points in space" are not the same (geometry is different). IIRC the taller spindle was required to compensate for the body insulator/Isolator/biscuit that arrived in the 73 B-body and F/J/M.

I guess noone ever takes the time to "mock-up" a "tall spindle" on a E or pre-73 B-body to check for suspension bind? It can be done if you don't tighten up the tensioner bolt? Does it really take a pro?

I drove a J-body every day to & from work (24 miles each way) on combined interstate and "2-lane rural" roads (11 miles rural) this year, since May, and commonly do 55-60 (speed limit is 50 mph). The car rides and handles GREAT to me. The limiting factor on this particular car is the shocks and stock sized tires which will be updated. Not to mention the rubber-Iso leaf springs. Never noticed a hint of bumpsteer, just the overpowered steering that is a Mopar trait.

This topic is on of those that will never be closed on an internet forum, since there will always be that element of doubt resurrected due to the folklore.

Dean

R.I.P.- Gary "Coop" Davis 02/09/68-05/13/04
Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Clair_Davis] #17844
10/29/05 07:42 PM
10/29/05 07:42 PM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
Quote:

This says to me that the problem with bump steer is inherent to the F/J/M suspension design, not (necessarily) the extra height of the spindle. Unless, of course, swapping, er, chagning an F/J/M spindle out for a 73+ A-body spindle corrects the bump steer. If that's the case, this is a detail I have somehow missed until now.

I think Rick was using it as an example of bumpsteer, as those cars were known to have bad bouts of it due to the oddly shaped t-bars. The point is that the taller spindles cause changes in bumpsteer through travel, causing similar habits as those of an F body. Not that the taller spindle is the cause of bumpsteer in an F.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Clair_Davis] #17845
10/29/05 08:44 PM
10/29/05 08:44 PM
VA
69 Road Runner Offline
master
69 Road Runner  Offline
master

VA
[quote}
Where can I get repros of the A-body knuckles? Unless they're crazy expensive, it might be worth just getting those for a future project rather than scrounging up another pair of the correct A's.
Clair

http://www.mpbrakes.com/sp2627.htm

This spindle includes caliper brackets but does not include the steering arm or lower ball joint.

Accepts the following components
Calipers 76-79 Dodge Aspen
Rotors 75-76 Dart,Swinger
Hoses 75-76 Dart,Swinger
Bearings A2, A17
Seals 5121

69 Road Runner Vert
Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: 69 Road Runner] #17846
10/29/05 08:56 PM
10/29/05 08:56 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

[quote}
Clair

http://www.mpbrakes.com/sp2627.htm

Anyone measure these to see if they are not just F/M/J knuckles ???? Do these have any chrysler casting info on them (then they would be oem). I thought a while back someone caught a aftermarket supplier just selling the F/M/J knuckles as
A-body repros.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: autoxcuda] #17847
10/29/05 10:17 PM
10/29/05 10:17 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

A "tall-spindle on a so equipped factory car isn't going to give you the same "bumpsteer" affect as putting them on an E-body, A-body or pre-72 B-body. The "points in space" are not the same (geometry is different). IIRC the taller spindle was required to compensate for the body insulator/Isolator/biscuit that arrived in the 73 B-body and F/J/M.

(edit)

Also realize that increased positive caster lowers the relative position of the outer tie rod hole in relation to the lower ball joint. So caster changes also change bump steer. Most race car adjust bump steer by adding shims to the outer tie rods (spherical ends) to move them up and down.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 10/31/05 02:19 AM.
Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: autoxcuda] #17848
10/30/05 09:25 PM
10/30/05 09:25 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

I think Rick was using it as an example of bumpsteer, as those cars were known to have bad bouts of it due to the oddly shaped t-bars. The point is that the taller spindles cause changes in bumpsteer through travel, causing similar habits as those of an F body. Not that the taller spindle is the cause of bumpsteer in an F.

That's exactly what I meant, sorry I wasn't clearer. On those cars, the tension strut is effectively double-hinged, and the angles/mounting points are different side to side. The later B-bodies also used the taller knuckles, but have good geometry, once you tighten up the longitudinals by eliminating the rubber isolators.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #17849
10/30/05 09:49 PM
10/30/05 09:49 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

From the measurement I have seen, the taller spindle is “taller” from the spindle axis to the upper ball joint. Everything else is the same. That shouldn’t effect bump steer.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'spindle axis' - I would take that to mean a line drawn between the centers of the two wheel bearings. But what you seem to be saying, then, is nothing that happens above the lower balljoint matters - if the arc of the upper balljoint changes, then toe does not change? That's simply not true. Go change camber and see what happens to toe!

The proof is the chart somebody scanned way up this page, showing a total toe change of 0.081" for a stock knuckle, and 0.199 for the taller one. That's 2.5 times the bumpsteer. I've seen my own semi-blueprinted A-body with about 1/2 that much bumpsteer (mine's about 0.045", achielved by ovalling the idler arm hole and welding washers on), assuming that the ~0.2" from the chart above remains constant, that could be as much as 4.4 times the bumpsteer. And that's noticeable.

Here's my story. Over 20 years ago, I bought my '69 Valaint. I drove it around for a few weeks with the stock /6 3-on-the-tree setup, it was a total pleasure. Then I bought a new V-8 K-member from the local dealer, and did a 340 swap. 383 t-bars, etc. The car was a handful to drive fast. (not insane. Not racing. Just fast on anything but glass-smooth roads). Three alignment shops each tinkered with it and pronouced it "fixed". Not.

So I built some wooden bumpsteer gauges. It had, coincidentally, about 0.2". Again, it was real nasty to drive.

I fixed it, after researching the causes in some old Chrylser "Master tech" books (also reprinted in the MP chassis manuals) by the aforementioned idler mounting fix. K-members weren't (and aren't) precision pieces!

Now I can go to a road course and humiliate most Porsches.

Rick

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #17850
10/30/05 09:53 PM
10/30/05 09:53 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
BTW, I was skeptical, so I destructive-tested the Master Power knuckles when they first came out. How? Low-tech. Put 'em in a 12" vise and beat 'em to a pulp with a really big hammer. They bent. They did not crack or break! They are drop-forged, probably better than the originals.

Rick

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #17851
10/30/05 10:18 PM
10/30/05 10:18 PM
VA
69 Road Runner Offline
master
69 Road Runner  Offline
master

VA
Rick, what's your opinion on using the later spindles with the tubular control arms? Does that fix the concerns that you have?

69 Road Runner Vert
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7