Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: Bigfury] #1738687
01/27/15 05:16 PM
01/27/15 05:16 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

B3, you must remember that you can lead a horse to water in the middle of the desert. But it does not mean he will be smart enough to take a drink !! Understanding a little of what you are doing there obviously is more to be gained than just a bit of performance. Like MAYBE some durability in the long run. Have a great day. It is what it is because you allowed yourself to think that.

Mabe the horse isn't thirsty yet. You know, most people don't buy a burglar alarm until they get robbed.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: B3RE] #1738688
01/27/15 05:39 PM
01/27/15 05:39 PM
Canada
onig Offline
enthusiast
onig  Offline
enthusiast

Canada
Correct geometry is important as we all know.
Some people don't know to check it, some will check it and live with it, others will put different rocker arms on and just go with it.
Mind you not on a mopar shaft system, but on a stud mounted rocker system, I had to go through 3 different makes to find one that gave good geometry. For the same engine, different makes and models had different lengths. What really ticked me off was when I called Comp cams and asked for a distance from roller tip to fulcrum, they asked why I wanted it. They gave me a hard time. I finally pushed them to get me a spec on the ultra gold which I had in my hand. They did, but they used a pair of calipers to give me the spec, and were off by .090" from my measurement, how is that for accuracy. When I called Harland Sharp, no problem, looked it up, two seconds later,gave me an exact spec. I bought the HS, not the best looking rocker, but it worked out great.

The geometry at least should be checked, then you can decide what to do, if you think spending the money is worth it or not. Interesting pics on B3RE's website, stuff is all over the place.

Last edited by onig; 01/27/15 05:40 PM.

69 Dart
Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: Stanton] #1738689
01/27/15 05:44 PM
01/27/15 05:44 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, you do not have to live with what you get!!! Total nonsense. Rocker geometry has to do with way more than just the rocker arm, and any roller rocker that will fit the head can have correct geometry.

Holy crap, here we go ... !!!!

Stanton,
I believe I talked to you at Carlisle two years ago about this subject, and if I recall, several times you returned an I answered your questions. You got it then, even when one gentleman argued with me until he stomped off in a huff. I can explain the principles behind the way I do things, but some others never explain why they give advice other than they read it in a book somewhere.

Yes, you're correct. But you know that this opens a whole can of worms!

And to address Mr P Body's point about this gentleman trying to run a business and not liking to share, let's not forget that AndyF rarely misses an opportunity to promote and peddle his wares! Will Andy give you his timing cover CNC program? The answer is a simple NO. So why should this gentleman disclose his secrets. He tells you "how" he achieves near perfect geometry, the math is his proprietary information. Just like Andy's CNC program, if you want it - go figure it out for yourself.

Well said, but I do want to mention one thing. Some of the math formulas are mine, and others I learned from some very intelligent people. I'm not going to take credit that is not due me.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: B3RE] #1738690
01/27/15 05:51 PM
01/27/15 05:51 PM
Canada
onig Offline
enthusiast
onig  Offline
enthusiast

Canada
B3RE, take the credit.
We all learn in different forms. Listening, reading, applying, experience, seeing, experimenting ...
You are applying what you learned or were taught.
I give you credit.

69 Dart
Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: onig] #1738691
01/27/15 08:20 PM
01/27/15 08:20 PM
alaska,usa
9secondsatellite Offline
mopar
9secondsatellite  Offline
mopar

alaska,usa
B3RE. I for one am very greatful for your insight on this matter. any time you can get the geometry correct is well worth the benefit. very little lost motion and makes it so the cam and valve action are at maximum potential. there are many VERY intelligent members on this site. some are better than others at some things but they are just as insightful. i have a great deal of appreciation for the info. i have to admit that i am still trying to get a grasp on this subject but i am slowly getting it.

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: Stanton] #1738692
01/27/15 08:31 PM
01/27/15 08:31 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, you do not have to live with what you get!!! Total nonsense. Rocker geometry has to do with way more than just the rocker arm, and any roller rocker that will fit the head can have correct geometry.

Holy crap, here we go ... !!!!

Stanton,
I believe I talked to you at Carlisle two years ago about this subject, and if I recall, several times you returned an I answered your questions. You got it then, even when one gentleman argued with me until he stomped off in a huff. I can explain the principles behind the way I do things, but some others never explain why they give advice other than they read it in a book somewhere.

And to address Mr P Body's point about this gentleman trying to run a business and not liking to share, let's not forget that AndyF rarely misses an opportunity to promote and peddle his wares! Will Andy give you his timing cover CNC program? The answer is a simple NO. So why should this gentleman disclose his secrets. He tells you "how" he achieves near perfect geometry, the math is his proprietary information. Just like Andy's CNC program, if you want it - go figure it out for yourself.

This is why I posted that... he is trying to run a
business... he isnt into the sharing thing due to
the business.. thats his choice

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: onig] #1738693
01/27/15 09:11 PM
01/27/15 09:11 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Thanks Onig,
I can say this, I put a lot of effort into it, so I will take credit for that.

Mike Beachel

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: 9secondsatellite] #1738694
01/27/15 09:15 PM
01/27/15 09:15 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

B3RE. I for one am very greatful for your insight on this matter. any time you can get the geometry correct is well worth the benefit. very little lost motion and makes it so the cam and valve action are at maximum potential. there are many VERY intelligent members on this site. some are better than others at some things but they are just as insightful. i have a great deal of appreciation for the info. i have to admit that i am still trying to get a grasp on this subject but i am slowly getting it.

Thank you, and I am always willing to answer questions if there is anything you don't understand.

Mike Beachel

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1738695
01/27/15 09:27 PM
01/27/15 09:27 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
[quote

This is why I posted that... he is trying to run a
business... he isnt into the sharing thing due to
the business.. thats his choice

I don't know, Mike. It sounded like there was more to it than that but it's ok. I will help anyone as much as I can, but I won't go bankrupt to do it. I have a family to take care of and bills to pay just like everyone else. It's not like I'm making a killing correcting geometry either. If you consider the price, and the time it takes to make a custom kit or do custom machining, I would make more money honing blocks all day. I just can't stand when stuff isn't right and it destroys parts. What I don't get is how someone will spend 10 large to build a stroker motor, and then balk at less than $200 to get the valvetrain right. But hey, that is their choice.

Mike Beachel

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: B3RE] #1738696
01/27/15 10:00 PM
01/27/15 10:00 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
It's like everything else. Will wrong geometry run, in most cases yes. In that vein will a motor run with single angle valve job and out of round cylinder bores, sure. The closer to perfect everything is, the better the motor will run. How far off can various specs be? That is the million dollar question. I've run motors both ways, sloppy and worn or as good as I can make it. It all comes down to how much time and money do you want to spend? Some items are worth a lot, some a little. To some it only matters that it stays together and runs. I say learn what is correct, make a decision if you feel that is important and go with it.
Doug

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: dvw] #1738697
01/27/15 10:05 PM
01/27/15 10:05 PM
alaska,usa
9secondsatellite Offline
mopar
9secondsatellite  Offline
mopar

alaska,usa
B3RE you have a pm.

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: dvw] #1738698
01/28/15 12:33 AM
01/28/15 12:33 AM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

It's like everything else. Will wrong geometry run, in most cases yes. In that vein will a motor run with single angle valve job and out of round cylinder bores, sure. The closer to perfect everything is, the better the motor will run. How far off can various specs be? That is the million dollar question. I've run motors both ways, sloppy and worn or as good as I can make it. It all comes down to how much time and money do you want to spend? Some items are worth a lot, some a little. To some it only matters that it stays together and runs. I say learn what is correct, make a decision if you feel that is important and go with it.
Doug

Oh, I've beat on some worn out junk before, Doug. That's why i referred to an expensive stroker to make my point.
Short story: I once put a very high miles junkyard 400 core in my car to run the rest of the season when I cracked a cylinder in the good stroker motor and didn't have a spare. I tore the motor down, honed the worn out cylinders, bought some .030" over 440 rings off Ebay and file fit them, and put it all back together with the lower mileage left over parts from the stroker motor and a cheap set of gaskets. I put some better heads on it and beat it until the used bearings started to rattle. Darn thing clogged my brand new radiator with rusty junk that was in the water jackets.
My point is, I had two hundred dollars in the motor, so I wasn't concerned about destroying high dollar parts. If that had been my good motor, I would certainly have been concerned. I don't think too many people are running that kind of junk, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Mike Beachel

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: B3RE] #1738699
01/28/15 01:48 PM
01/28/15 01:48 PM
Canada
C
CTD5.9 Offline
super stock
CTD5.9  Offline
super stock
C

Canada
Quote:

Oh, I've beat on some worn out junk before, Doug. That's why i referred to an expensive stroker to make my point.
Short story: I once put a very high miles junkyard 400 core in my car to run the rest of the season when I cracked a cylinder in the good stroker motor and didn't have a spare. I tore the motor down, honed the worn out cylinders, bought some .030" over 440 rings off Ebay and file fit them, and put it all back together with the lower mileage left over parts from the stroker motor and a cheap set of gaskets. I put some better heads on it and beat it until the used bearings started to rattle. Darn thing clogged my brand new radiator with rusty junk that was in the water jackets.
My point is, I had two hundred dollars in the motor, so I wasn't concerned about destroying high dollar parts. If that had been my good motor, I would certainly have been concerned. I don't think too many people are running that kind of junk, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I'm pretty sure you just described the engine in my mud bogging truck perfectly, I don't know whether I should be depressed or relieved that I'm not the only one who has done this.

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: CTD5.9] #1738700
01/28/15 02:15 PM
01/28/15 02:15 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Don't be depressed. We all do what our wallets, abilities, and time allow us to do.

Mike Beachel

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: B3RE] #1738701
01/28/15 02:39 PM
01/28/15 02:39 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Don't be depressed. We all do what our wallets, abilities, and time allow us to do.

So true................having a fast car is easy w/enuff $$$$$ and that`s why my Dart rots these dayz in the garage w/a few test runs and that`s it BUT that`s about 2 change. It`s definately a challenge to go fast on basic parts but also a welcoming challenge and after talking to Jason Pettis my new goal is to freshon my stock block w/a new 3.90 stroker kit, same rpm`s w/a valve job, but a different ring pack and bushed lifter bores and see how fast a streetable 470 can run in a 3000+ lb. car. I will be trying out the B3RE kit here soon and will report my findings. It`s our job as humans to help each other out when we can so I support the members here first when I can...........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: B3RE] #1738702
01/28/15 10:04 PM
01/28/15 10:04 PM
Gilbert AZ
tsanchez Offline
enthusiast
tsanchez  Offline
enthusiast

Gilbert AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Depends on how serious the engine is and how much money/time you want to spend on it.

For a typical street/strip SB or BB you just have to live with what you get. If you buy a good set of rocker arms then you'll be okay for .550 to .600 type lift.

If you're going to run more than .700 lift then you'll need to spend some time sorting it out. Once you get past .800 lift you'll probably need to switch to Jesel or T&D to get anything that will work.

For really high spring pressure you'll want to use the 2/3 lift rule rather than mid-lift. The 2/3 lift rule minimizes the amount of travel under load but the total scrub pattern is wider than the mid-lift method.

I agree you can get the valve side geometry pretty close by shimming and moving the fulcrum stand, you cannot do anything about the pushrod side unless the rocker is made for the lift and head in use. The last valve train issue I had involved the pushrod side and had to get rockers remade

Re: Valvetrain geometry......mid lift pushrod measurement [Re: tsanchez] #1738703
01/29/15 12:46 PM
01/29/15 12:46 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Depends on how serious the engine is and how much money/time you want to spend on it.

For a typical street/strip SB or BB you just have to live with what you get. If you buy a good set of rocker arms then you'll be okay for .550 to .600 type lift.

If you're going to run more than .700 lift then you'll need to spend some time sorting it out. Once you get past .800 lift you'll probably need to switch to Jesel or T&D to get anything that will work.

For really high spring pressure you'll want to use the 2/3 lift rule rather than mid-lift. The 2/3 lift rule minimizes the amount of travel under load but the total scrub pattern is wider than the mid-lift method.

I agree you can get the valve side geometry pretty close by shimming and moving the fulcrum stand, you cannot do anything about the pushrod side unless the rocker is made for the lift and head in use. The last valve train issue I had involved the pushrod side and had to get rockers remade

Yes, I am addressing the valve side because the pushrods side is, as you mentioned, built into the rocker. I disagree that valve lift has anything to do with the rocker design, and outside of the valve angle and required offset, the cylinder head has no effect on rocker design either. The pushrod approach angle and the valve angle determines the adjuster placement for a given application. I have yet to see a "budget" type rocker be correct. This is the main reason I am working on my own rocker design.

Mike Beachel

Page 2 of 2 1 2