D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
Quote:

Your joking...right. There is nothing EASY about .4 pro tree racing. Most yahoos, as you call them will be a day late. Have you ever actually raced on a pro tree. If you have and were that good, somebody will give you a car to drive. The 5.0 6.0 and 7.0 classes around here are deadly. If you are not .00s or teens and dead on, you are dead meat.

Monte

If pro tree is so much harder then full tree why do 99% of S/C, S/G, Super Pro, and any other bracket racers leave off the top bulb with a delay box... It's because it's easier, and more consistant.

And I have seen it first hand. They tried going to pro tree in NMCA NSS a few years ago. Like I said, every yahoo that couldn't find their butt on a full tree, all of the sudden had a chance...

I don't run down in your index stuff, but you kind of make my point for me.

"If you are not .00s or teens and dead on, you are dead meat."

How hard can it be if a lot of guys are going 00's and teens every time. Even the best foot brakers in the world aren't that good on a full tree day in day out.

The only pro tree red lights you ever see, is when someone is guessing because they can't run the number to compete...Like I said, it would take all of the starting line competition out of it.

I'm fine with index racing, I've been involved with it for over 15 years. Moving the car to hit the number without electronics can be challenging. (Especially in late rounds during hot lapping) Nothing wrong with that.

And just to be clear, I'm talking about the pro and sportsman classes that draw the large majority of the cars. I just don't see how weaking existing classes would help the sport. That means lower payouts in the existing classes to cover the new ones.

It was the demise of the NSCA...trying to please everyone...

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: dizuster] #173420
12/24/08 12:03 AM
12/24/08 12:03 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Your joking...right. There is nothing EASY about .4 pro tree racing. Most yahoos, as you call them will be a day late. Have you ever actually raced on a pro tree. If you have and were that good, somebody will give you a car to drive. The 5.0 6.0 and 7.0 classes around here are deadly. If you are not .00s or teens and dead on, you are dead meat.

Monte

If pro tree is so much harder then full tree why do 99% of S/C, S/G, Super Pro, and any other bracket racers leave off the top bulb with a delay box... It's because it's easier, and more consistant.

And I have seen it first hand. They tried going to pro tree in NMCA NSS a few years ago. Like I said, every yahoo that couldn't find their butt on a full tree, all of the sudden had a chance...

How hard can it be if a lot of guys are going 00's and teens every time. Even the best foot brakers in the world aren't that good on a full tree day in day out.

The only pro tree red lights you ever see, is when someone is guessing because they can't run the number to compete...Like I said, it would take all of the starting line competition out of it.

I'm fine with index racing, I've been involved with it for over 15 years. Moving the car to hit the number without electronics can be challenging. (Especially in late rounds during hot lapping) Nothing wrong with that.

And just to be clear, I'm talking about the pro and sportsman classes that draw the large majority of the cars. I just don't see how weaking existing classes would help the sport. That means lower payouts in the existing classes to cover the new ones.

you have a lot to learn

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: MR_P_BODY] #173421
12/24/08 12:12 AM
12/24/08 12:12 AM
Peru
cbarracuda Offline
mopar
cbarracuda  Offline
mopar

Peru
This tread is very interesting. I think Bracket racing is kindoff boring and I believe the only way of Drag racing is heads up.
This is how we do it in Peru:
10 to 10.50 Class A
10.51 to 10.99 Class B
11.00 to 11.50 class C
11.51 to 11.99 Class D
12.00 to 12.50 Class E
You guys here have faster cars so you can do 9 and 8 seconds following this logic. So when the track is open, you have 3 passes to test your car and classify. Then everything stops for half an hour and the race begins with the slowest class working the way up to the fastest class. You are only able to reclassify one time.

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: Quicktree] #173422
12/24/08 12:34 AM
12/24/08 12:34 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I cannot believe what I just read...BTW where I come from NOT being able to go red is a bad thing...Glad to hear there is no starting line competition in S/G, looks like I can start collecting my winnings soon.

BTW my experience with .400 Pro Tree racing in many of the guys in the Gas classes has been quite the opposite. Most of the lights I have seen from all but the best guys with good working cars are typically in the .080's or worse.

But then again no matter whether it is top bulb or bottom you had better be leaving off the first flash if not you are doing it wrong. But what do I know...

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: Al_Alguire] #173423
12/24/08 12:44 AM
12/24/08 12:44 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Quote:

I do not understand everyones objection to the .90 thing...Why is it so different than .00 or .60 or .50 SSDI. I can understand loosing the t stop stuff as it confuses theings but if it is all run on a common index who cares..

BTW if anyone really thinks this will put butts in the seats you are nuts.....I have preached a pinks all out style of racing which the crowds get.

Al, the pinks all out basicly narrows down their feild down to the closest 16 cars within a tenth or less to run their heads up race as you know. That would be ok at weekly races if there were enough cars to make up a whole bunch of 16 or 8 car feilds. Then what would you do with the rest? The more classes or groups the less pay out. Cann't have it both ways.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: rowin4] #173424
12/24/08 12:48 AM
12/24/08 12:48 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

Quote:

I do not understand everyones objection to the .90 thing...Why is it so different than .00 or .60 or .50 SSDI. I can understand loosing the t stop stuff as it confuses theings but if it is all run on a common index who cares..

BTW if anyone really thinks this will put butts in the seats you are nuts.....I have preached a pinks all out style of racing which the crowds get.

Al, the pinks all out basicly narrows down their feild down to the closest 16 cars within a tenth or less to run their heads up race as you know. That would be ok at weekly races if there were enough cars to make up a whole bunch of 16 or 8 car feilds. Then what would you do with the rest? The more classes or groups the less pay out. Cann't have it both ways.

You also have to remember that even 'Pinks Head-up' has a breakout. If the car goes faster than the bracket time they lose too.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: rowin4] #173425
12/24/08 12:50 AM
12/24/08 12:50 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I frankly dont want it both ways...Just seems like a way to attract some spectators as you can bill it as heads up. Maybe a monthly program, who knows. As for the guys that dont make it in, thats racing. BTW in the All out format they only toss those who clearly are capapble of going faster and messed up by doing so for whatever reason. Might be a good concept for someone to work on as a promoter..All I am saying.

Open Comp stuff is another format that I would think would be more appealing. A couple of qualifying passes, knock off a tenth and then viola you have a dial in for the race that CANNOT change. At least it is more like heads up stuff to me.

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: Quicktree] #173426
12/24/08 12:51 AM
12/24/08 12:51 AM
Salisbury North Carolina
8secDart Offline
pro stock
8secDart  Offline
pro stock

Salisbury North Carolina
Dude do you even have a car.You are joking right?
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

you have a lot to learn

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: 8secDart] #173427
12/24/08 01:34 AM
12/24/08 01:34 AM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
Quote:

Dude do you even have a car.You are joking right?

Nope "Dude" I don't even own a car, but I watch pinks every week...

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: Al_Alguire] #173428
12/24/08 01:45 AM
12/24/08 01:45 AM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
Quote:

Glad to hear there is no starting line competition in S/G, looks like I can start collecting my winnings soon.

Have you won more S/G races at the starting line, or the finish line?...

No offense ment at all to S/C S/G racers. They are among the best bracket racers in the world. But those guys win on finish line driving more often then starting line driving... I just looked at the last NHRA national event of the year. The average S/G winning light was .018, not much room to "tree" someone to a win...

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: dizuster] #173429
12/24/08 02:05 AM
12/24/08 02:05 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
WOW....First off S/G on a Divisional and National level is run on a .385 tree, NOT a .400 tree...Do the MATH. If you can hit the tree there is no race at the stripe period. Since you have a ND handy why dont you compare winning lights to loosing ones? Tell me how many of the loosers broke out. Then again I suspect you may think .90 racers set their cars up to run .90.

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: Al_Alguire] #173430
12/24/08 02:21 AM
12/24/08 02:21 AM
Roseau, MN
1976 Aspen Offline
enthusiast
1976 Aspen  Offline
enthusiast

Roseau, MN
This is a very interesting post. AL, how do you set your car up to run the .90 then and chop the tree with a .385 light??? I'm a little confused

BTW-I'm just a Sportsman bracket racer that runs on a full tree and hate having more than half a second difference in ET in a race but have dealt with seven second delays

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: 1976 Aspen] #173431
12/24/08 02:34 AM
12/24/08 02:34 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well I guess the simple answer would be a delay box and throttle stop. Delay box for the tree and t stop to run the number. Guess maybe I dont understand the question.

I am no expert by any means, just trying to make a point. Anyone asking me for advice on how to win in S/G needs to have their head examined. Heck for the last two years I have been lucky to even have the car at the track.

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: Quicktree] #173432
12/24/08 05:39 AM
12/24/08 05:39 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
Quote:

it's still bracket racing if you can break out no matter how you do it.

thats how i see it .

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: dizuster] #173433
12/24/08 08:15 AM
12/24/08 08:15 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

Quote:

Glad to hear there is no starting line competition in S/G, looks like I can start collecting my winnings soon.

Have you won more S/G races at the starting line, or the finish line?...

No offense ment at all to S/C S/G racers. They are among the best bracket racers in the world. But those guys win on finish line driving more often then starting line driving... I just looked at the last NHRA national event of the year. The average S/G winning light was .018, not much room to "tree" someone to a win...

You really, really don't have a clue.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: slantzilla] #173434
12/24/08 08:42 AM
12/24/08 08:42 AM
Raleigh N.C
H
hemiparts Offline
"Missile Pilot"
hemiparts  Offline
"Missile Pilot"
H

Raleigh N.C
A good number of bracket races are won or lost @ the finish line. If you close in too fast you have to wonder if you're car has picked up and you're heading to a break out or has his car slowed down enough to put you on him too fast. Either way you win or lose in the last 100 ft of bracket racing

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing #173435
12/24/08 09:22 AM
12/24/08 09:22 AM
Fl. USA
PS Arrow Offline
super stock
PS Arrow  Offline
super stock

Fl. USA
Quote:

Quote:

As a kid, my Dad I used to go to Lancaster Dragway every Friday night, normal bracket program, the stands would be packed. Since I started racing in the late 80's

Lancaster in NY?

Here is my take on the 10.5 stuff and the high dollar heads up stuff.......Looks like fun...I can't afford it. So if nobody wants to come see me bracket race so be it...the stands have never been filled before and most tracks can still make it on the race program if they are well run and they have some special shows to attract fans

In NY Eric.. I havent been there in years, I think the last time was 1990. You have raced there recently, I have no idea what its like now.

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: hemiparts] #173436
12/24/08 09:29 AM
12/24/08 09:29 AM
Fl. USA
PS Arrow Offline
super stock
PS Arrow  Offline
super stock

Fl. USA
How bout handicap start, no breakout. Isn't how stock and Super Stock is run? Or handicap start Pro Tree with no break out?

Re: Thinking About Heads Up Racing [Re: PS Arrow] #173437
12/24/08 10:56 AM
12/24/08 10:56 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
IMHO anytime you run on an index it's nothing more than bracket racing. Call it what you like, but it's still bracket racing.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4