Quote:

I agree with Kevin ..... I too run a quickfuel carb and love it!
I built a healthy 451" that loves to rev, with all the aluminum bolt ons . What does a 6.1 new Gen Hemi weight? I don't think they are a lightweight? I have a OD transmission and get 17 MPG on the hwy cruising. I kind of like the " K.I.S.S. method? the new stuff is great but relies too much on electronics IMO . I'm no electronics engineer so that turns me off somewhat. I like simple and being able to fix most things easily . Another negative for me is around here emissions " police" require all the smog parts and to meet the standards emission wise of the new stuff. Not so with the old. I don't make the rules.... just have to live by them....

I have completely totally, utterly embraced efficiency. I was a big block fanatic. EVERYTHING i have from cars to parts in the shed is big block Mopar. But no matter how i attack it, no matter how i approach it or how much thought goes into it... i'm always going to be trying to build a Coyote out ov an engine designed in 1959... Even much (most?) ov the aftermarket... is based on 55 year old engineering. Edelbrock themselves said they based their VERY popular big block head off the 'famous' 906 head. Same head that was sold in '59... just bigger holes.

Problem is... to embrace the new, you have to surrender to the new. New cars are GREAT... when they work. When they stop working... life sucks. When my 72 Charger (with its 7 moving parts) stopped working, i diagnosed and fixed it readily. When my 96 GT stops working... the blasphemies start flying and i become a vicious nihilistic [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean ARE YOU SERIOUS??? I typed the word ba$tard...]. Granted... get a good new plant and it will likely never let you down, but still. Hell... just modifying a new engine is a chore. I can swap an intake on my 440 in the same time it took to do the plugs on my Mustang.

The final question you have to ask though, is, do i want to drive my car? Or just talk about it? Sure, there are the rare few here on Moparts (a VERY well-heeled site) that actually have an old school powertrain and actually log serious miles on the car, but pretty much EVERY big block car i know ov now sits... 350 days a year. Even the race cars dont get raced any more because people have become so spoiled with the new stuff... soooo much easier to just jump in the Dakota or wife's Mustang and wheel down to the Friday night drags for some $25 fun than permitting, firing up, tuning, gassing up and then driving the big block down to the track for some $25 fun. All you see down there these days are imports and sponsored race cars. The big blocks dont leave the shops anymore.

I HATE that its come to this... (i also hate that i have been forced to become obsessed with efficiency) and no ranting ov mine will change it back, but if you want to DRIVE that car... especially on a road track... go new.