11/01/14 05:21 PM
11/01/14 05:21 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline OP
master
72Swinger  Offline OP
master

Nebraska
Im gonna go measure ring depth and the rings themselves. I have Manley pistons and these TS rings are what they stipulate because of the ring depth. I also have the single set of Mahles to compare to. I was thinking about using a tie wrap around the base of the compressor next lol! I agree about it being to tight, but the current situation calls for it to be REAL tight or im screwed.

Edit: measured and ring depth is not the issue. I definitely think the oil expander is the main issue though, and that is what is dictating the massive amount clamping force needed. And the Mahle rings are about .002-.005 thinner in the depth department so im probably going to end up ditching these Total Suck rings, especially after the flying flake event earlier.

Last edited by 72Swinger; 11/01/14 05:35 PM.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: 72Swinger] #1692978
11/01/14 05:30 PM
11/01/14 05:30 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

Im gonna go measure ring depth and the rings themselves. I have Manley pistons and these TS rings are what they stipulate because of the ring depth. I also have the single set of Mahles to compare to. I was thinking about using a tie wrap around the base of the compressor next lol! I agree about it being to tight, but the current situation calls for it to be REAL tight or im screwed.

I understand your situation. Sounds all too familiar. With the Diamond pistons, the compression ring grooves were not deep enough too, and the rings would not compress enough to get in the cylinder. I had file fitted the rings in the bores and knew that they were not end butting. With the too long oil ring expander, the oil rings would not compress without the expander ends overlapping. I suspect you are having a similar problem, although it could be the ring causing your problems. Good luck!! When you find the culprit, they will go in as easy as what you are accustomed to.

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: CHAPPER] #1692979
11/01/14 05:41 PM
11/01/14 05:41 PM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
Last two motors I used the non adjustable tapered anodized aluminum compressor. With a piston freshly dunked in oil and the top edge of the bore just barely broken with sandpaper they all slid home with no fuss.

Best $20 I spent.

Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: radar] #1692980
11/01/14 06:04 PM
11/01/14 06:04 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline OP
master
72Swinger  Offline OP
master

Nebraska
Well I don't need any more convincing what the problem is. The TS expander ring wont let the oil rings compress enough. The pic shows the TS on the left and Mahle right. The oil rings between the 2 brands cannot be told apart, identical. Both ring sets are file fit for a 4.06 bore and drop in for a 4.065, which is what im using. BTW the TS 2nd ring needed quite a bit of filing to be "drop in" while the top was dead nuts on. Since I already 'chipped' the top ring in #2 im gonna throw in the towel and spend MORE money for a set of Mahle's. Will call Total Seal Monday and give them a chance to make it right.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: 72Swinger] #1692981
11/01/14 06:11 PM
11/01/14 06:11 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline OP
master
72Swinger  Offline OP
master

Nebraska
Oh, and how many times can ARP 2000 rod bolts be torqued and removed and torqued and removed??? This sucks....

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: 72Swinger] #1692982
11/01/14 08:53 PM
11/01/14 08:53 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

Well I don't need any more convincing what the problem is. The TS expander ring wont let the oil rings compress enough. The pic shows the TS on the left and Mahle right. The oil rings between the 2 brands cannot be told apart, identical. Both ring sets are file fit for a 4.06 bore and drop in for a 4.065, which is what im using. BTW the TS 2nd ring needed quite a bit of filing to be "drop in" while the top was dead nuts on. Since I already 'chipped' the top ring in #2 im gonna throw in the towel and spend MORE money for a set of Mahle's. Will call Total Seal Monday and give them a chance to make it right.

Total Seal.."make it right",,, Good Luck with THAT!! ALL these parts suppliers know more than we do,,or we would be working there, right? "A tee shirt and a hat does not make a tech rep." by Fred @ Chapman Performance

Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: 72Swinger] #1692983
11/01/14 09:00 PM
11/01/14 09:00 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

Oh, and how many times can ARP 2000 rod bolts be torqued and removed and torqued and removed??? This sucks....

I wouldn't be concerned on the bolts,,they are fine.

Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: CHAPPER] #1692984
11/03/14 06:59 PM
11/03/14 06:59 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline OP
master
72Swinger  Offline OP
master

Nebraska
I called Total Seal and told them the situation. They said the rings I have were spec'd by Manley to have a 24 lb oil ring tension. And in order to get that tension with a 3mm ring set, the expander must be oversized. Because of this you have to "crush" the expander ring by running it through the compressor before hand with only the oil rings installed on the piston. I already ordered the Mahles in standard tension and am gonna stick with those, but the guy at Total Seal seemed to know his s**t and was bummed that Manley didn't have in their instructions an explanation on the need for crushing.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: rebel] #1692985
11/03/14 09:02 PM
11/03/14 09:02 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

a fixed diameter tapered ring compressor is definately the way to go. our pistons are all easy push in by hand with no ring hangups.

best way to go. I use "PRC". Learned the hard way after I folded over an oil scraper ring.

Fastest 300
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: 72Swinger] #1692986
11/03/14 10:04 PM
11/03/14 10:04 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

I called Total Seal and told them the situation. They said the rings I have were spec'd by Manley to have a 24 lb oil ring tension. And in order to get that tension with a 3mm ring set, the expander must be oversized. Because of this you have to "crush" the expander ring by running it through the compressor before hand with only the oil rings installed on the piston. I already ordered the Mahles in standard tension and am gonna stick with those, but the guy at Total Seal seemed to know his s**t and was bummed that Manley didn't have in their instructions an explanation on the need for crushing.

Could be true,,,I was not told anything like that. I was only told that "we do not make the expanders in house,yada yada yada...". In other words, "we didn't make the expander and any problems you are having are not our fault". I did notice one thing in their instructions,,,"DO NOT alter the length of the expander, it will void warranty"..or something similar to that. I believe most of the parts suppliers are like the people building these Gen 3 engines, they haven't got ALL the particulars NAILED yet, so some problems will occur.

Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: CHAPPER] #1692987
11/03/14 10:35 PM
11/03/14 10:35 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline OP
master
72Swinger  Offline OP
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Could be true,,,I was not told anything like that. I was only told that "we do not make the expanders in house,yada yada yada...". In other words, "we didn't make the expander and any problems you are having are not our fault". I did notice one thing in their instructions,,,"DO NOT alter the length of the expander, it will void warranty"..or something similar to that. I believe most of the parts suppliers are like the people building these Gen 3 engines, they haven't got ALL the particulars NAILED yet, so some problems will occur.

I agree, it isn't like anyone has written a "How to Build a Gen III Hemi" book. All specs and clearances are from factory service manual. The Mahle rings show 20 lbs for the standard tension. Im gonna just use those since they're already coming and im not gonna pre-crush every freakin oil ring during assembly anyway.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: 72Swinger] #1692988
11/03/14 11:09 PM
11/03/14 11:09 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

The more I think about their explanation/excuse,,I want to call BS on that. If that was the case,,I'm thinking you would have had them crushed enough as many times that you tried and re-tried to get them in.

Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: rebel] #1692989
11/03/14 11:12 PM
11/03/14 11:12 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

a fixed diameter tapered ring compressor is definately the way to go. our pistons are all easy push in by hand with no ring hangups.

best way to go IMO also. No drips, no runs, no errors - no matter what the chamfer.

Fastest 300
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: Crizila] #1692990
11/03/14 11:19 PM
11/03/14 11:19 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

best way to go IMO also. No drips, no runs, no errors - no matter what the chamfer.

Providing you have the proper piston/ring combination. I GAURANTEE you NO ring compressor would have installed the combination I was sent. I am suspecting the OP is facing a similar problem.

Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: John_Kunkel] #1692991
11/04/14 10:16 AM
11/04/14 10:16 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I used to use the bottom one in the pic below but was then introduced to the one above it and will never use anything else.

Those small ones with a red handle I used 2 of them to assemble inline 4 cly motorcycle engines, never used them on a car engine.

Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: Challenger 1] #1692992
11/04/14 02:53 PM
11/04/14 02:53 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
You HAVE to understand HOW an oil ring works. The rails are the rails, no magic there, but to vary the oil ring tension, is ALL in the expander........ummm, that's why it is CALLED an expander. So the bigger the expander, the more oil ring tension and the more difficult it is to compress, especially with small rails and packages, like 3mm. And that's obviously why you NEVER shorten an expander, because it takes away the pressure the expander was SET to give. That aside, the OPs main problem sounds like too little bore chamfer. If the top of the bore is razor sharp, it is nearly impossible to get a ring stack in cleanly, even with the perfect sized compressor. A chamfer allows the rings a bit of a "running go" at the bore when it leaves the bottom of the compressor.

So there is nothing wrong with your rings. Its either the quality of the compressor, the chamfer, or simply your installation technique

As far as TECH at Total Seal......you probably talked with either Kevin Studeker or Matt Hartford........trust me, these guys KNOW what they are talking about

Monte

Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: 72Swinger] #1692993
11/04/14 03:21 PM
11/04/14 03:21 PM
Mass.
80fbody Offline
mopar
80fbody  Offline
mopar

Mass.
72 - I had similar problems with expanders last spring. Filed all rings to spec & installed first piston. Went in kind of tight. 2nd piston would catch the oil rings and ended up scratching the bore. Figured out that the mfg had put the wrong expanders in the package. Used a correct set of expanders from another box (same part#) and everything went together like butter. Used the an adjustable compressor (solid style) from Speedway Motors. Worked awesome on my 4.375 bore 451.

Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1692994
11/04/14 04:22 PM
11/04/14 04:22 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline OP
master
72Swinger  Offline OP
master

Nebraska
Quote:

You HAVE to understand HOW an oil ring works. The rails are the rails, no magic there, but to vary the oil ring tension, is ALL in the expander........ummm, that's why it is CALLED an expander. So the bigger the expander, the more oil ring tension and the more difficult it is to compress, especially with small rails and packages, like 3mm. And that's obviously why you NEVER shorten an expander, because it takes away the pressure the expander was SET to give. That aside, the OPs main problem sounds like too little bore chamfer. If the top of the bore is razor sharp, it is nearly impossible to get a ring stack in cleanly, even with the perfect sized compressor. A chamfer allows the rings a bit of a "running go" at the bore when it leaves the bottom of the compressor.

So there is nothing wrong with your rings. Its either the quality of the compressor, the chamfer, or simply your installation technique

As far as TECH at Total Seal......you probably talked with either Kevin Studeker or Matt Hartford........trust me, these guys KNOW what they are talking about

Monte

Monte I agree with your assessment, but when an oil ring shaves aluminum from the compressor during install, what would you do? I'm not gonna deal with this headache over 4 extra lbs of tension. If it is anyones fault it is Manleys.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: 72Swinger] #1692995
11/04/14 04:45 PM
11/04/14 04:45 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Those don't use an oil ring support rail? Looks to be a lot of slop in the oil ring groove.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Ring compressors that work good? [Re: BBR] #1692996
11/04/14 05:26 PM
11/04/14 05:26 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline OP
master
72Swinger  Offline OP
master

Nebraska
There is a support rail in there, although its outer diameter could sure be bigger.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3