01/03/09 02:13 AM
01/03/09 02:13 AM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
I just put an AMD drivers side rear quarterpanel,and dutchman panel on my 70 Charger R/T SE. I'm happy with the fit. The dutchman panel is way sturdier than the original. The rear quarterpanel will need a blocking,but no more than the NOS one I put on the other side.

70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: Furyman] #169138
01/03/09 08:41 PM
01/03/09 08:41 PM
Canada
Kam*Kuda Offline
master
Kam*Kuda  Offline
master

Canada
Quote:

I personally think AMD is manufacturer of the year for 08.....look at what they have brought out and have scheduled for next year-
68-72 Plymouth B Qtrs
..... etc
There has NEVER been a better time for aftermarket Sheetmetal thanks to AMD.

I was happy with the clean lines on my68 Road Runner quarter, a nice step up.

1970 Barracuda Convertible
1968 Satellite Street Strip car
1654.5 Mustang
1955 Land Rover
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review #169139
01/05/09 03:28 PM
01/05/09 03:28 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

UPDATE:
I have spoken to Ron at Classic Body Designs about the 1/4 panels.He is a great guy,and very concerned about what is being said about his panels by myself and others on this forum.Let me say again,I am glad these panels are available.

I wish I could have spoken to him before I posted originally.

I don't want to cause grief to Ron or anyone else here.I was trying to report what I see in an unbiased way,and I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression.
As I said before,the issues I found are correctable and mostly minor.The overall fitment of the panels is nice.
I have only fit the right 1/4 panel to the car.
Ron has gone to great expense and work to get these panels made,and made in USA.I feel bad about how this forum may affect him.
In the past we all have had to patch up 1/4's,or use the 3/4 height skins,or search for NOS or salvage used 1/4 panels.Now we have full 1/4's available.I commend Ron at CBD for making these panels available.Let's support him and other companies too,so that more products will be made for our cars.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review #169140
01/05/09 05:40 PM
01/05/09 05:40 PM
O
OLD318 Offline
super stock
OLD318  Offline
super stock
O

IF CBD and/or AMD will make 70 Coronet quarters
and/or 73-74 Charger quarters I will gladly by the first ones...

I will also need the entire trunk floor, extensions, wheel houses etc..

But I'm not buying anything until I get the factory quarter panels...

READ:

Building the quarter panels enables the sale of all the other parts... without them,
the other parts aren't worth the price..

I'm praying that both AMD and CBD will step up and build these panels...

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi #169141
01/05/09 11:10 PM
01/05/09 11:10 PM
connecticut
69charger R/T Offline
69charger R/T  Offline

connecticut
Quote:

UPDATE:
I have spoken to Ron at Classic Body Designs about the 1/4 panels.He is a great guy,and very concerned about what is being said about his panels by myself and others on this forum.Let me say again,I am glad these panels are available.

I wish I could have spoken to him before I posted originally.

I don't want to cause grief to Ron or anyone else here.I was trying to report what I see in an unbiased way,and I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression.
As I said before,the issues I found are correctable and mostly minor.The overall fitment of the panels is nice.
I have only fit the right 1/4 panel to the car.
Ron has gone to great expense and work to get these panels made,and made in USA.I feel bad about how this forum may affect him.
In the past we all have had to patch up 1/4's,or use the 3/4 height skins,or search for NOS or salvage used 1/4 panels.Now we have full 1/4's available.I commend Ron at CBD for making these panels available.Let's support him and other companies too,so that more products will be made for our cars.

So, what did he say about the issues you had.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi #169142
01/09/09 01:39 PM
01/09/09 01:39 PM
Indiana, Just Off I-70
BradD Offline
mopar
BradD  Offline
mopar

Indiana, Just Off I-70
Here is a link to my webshots.com album with pics w/comments of the 68 Charger R/T we are doing. I'm not thrilled with the quality of the AMD quarters. I wish I had a CBD left quarter to set on the car just to compare the quality differences. This AMD quarter panel is an 1/8" longer than the OEM quarter Panel so I will be shortening it at the door jamb!
Brad
Dorn Autocraft

http://rides.webshots.com/album/569581471zvlGib?vhost=rides&start=0

Check out the Dorn's 69 Barracuda "Switchblade" in the Nov.2010 MCG
Check out the Dorn's refurbished 36 Ford in the Feb.2011 Street Rodder
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi [Re: BradD] #169143
01/09/09 02:51 PM
01/09/09 02:51 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Online content
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Online Content
I Live Here
N

Quote:

Here is a link to my webshots.com album with pics w/comments of the 68 Charger R/T we are doing. I'm not thrilled with the quality of the AMD quarters. I wish I had a CBD left quarter to set on the car just to compare the quality differences. This AMD quarter panel is an 1/8" longer than the OEM quarter Panel so I will be shortening it at the door jamb!
Brad
Dorn Autocraft

http://rides.webshots.com/album/569581471zvlGib?vhost=rides&start=0

Thats sad to hear. We installed The CBD panels and they fit exceptionally well. That is a big panel to fit with a lot of areas that need to be right on before you start tack welding. We found that we had to do better prep work of the sub structure where the old panel attached. Any little bit of old spot weld or just anything in the way made it seem to not fit. We were anal for the money we spent. However in the end once we got it to fit you could almost just throw it in place. We did no trimming or massaging on the new CBD panels.
Were your AMD the first run?

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi [Re: NITROUSN] #169144
01/09/09 03:11 PM
01/09/09 03:11 PM
Indiana, Just Off I-70
BradD Offline
mopar
BradD  Offline
mopar

Indiana, Just Off I-70
Pete, we just got these panels 2 weeks ago so I don't know how many they have run on these molds.
I always remove the old metal completely and hammer/dolly all joining faces back to their original contour. Our family has been doing body work since the mid 50's in case some of you want to assume we are just back alley or collision shop hacks(not that all are). I know when I hear someone say "perfect" their perfect and my perfect aren't likely the same. No offense intended to anyone.
Brad

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi [Re: BradD] #169145
01/09/09 03:33 PM
01/09/09 03:33 PM
Indiana, Just Off I-70
BradD Offline
mopar
BradD  Offline
mopar

Indiana, Just Off I-70
When I put the dutchman panel between the original quarters, I had almost 1/4" gap! I hammer/dollied the ends to lengthen the panel and sharpen the radius that meets the inner sail panel so once it is caulked it will appear factory. We like for the job to look as if it has had no body work done. Also known as an "invisible repair". Although we do prefer straighter and slicker than OEM.
Brad

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi [Re: BradD] #169146
01/09/09 05:33 PM
01/09/09 05:33 PM
N
NITROUSN Online content
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Online Content
I Live Here
N

I was waiting for the AMD panels and Jeremy told me the first one had isues. He also said once they were corrected the first run was going to select people for fitting and their opinion. I only suggested the possibility of you having an early run which does not seem to be the case.

It sounds like you have your ducks in a row and know whats a fit and whats not. AMD should hear your feedback. On charger.com there was some more discussion on the panels and a shop in wisc. was fitting a pair. They cut the right side verticaly at the door jamb and had some horizontal cuts on the left side between the lock pillar and the wheel well. So there must of been some fitment issues.

Either way having the CBD or AMD panels is a heck of a lot better that using those ill-fitting skins.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi [Re: NITROUSN] #169147
01/09/09 06:25 PM
01/09/09 06:25 PM
Indiana, Just Off I-70
BradD Offline
mopar
BradD  Offline
mopar

Indiana, Just Off I-70
I have seen MCR's progress on the green charger. I've looked over their cars at the Nat's and talked to John and a couple of his crew. They put out a nice product. I will be installing the right quarter in a different way. I will add pics to my webshots album when I do.
Brad

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi [Re: NITROUSN] #169148
01/10/09 03:42 PM
01/10/09 03:42 PM
connecticut
69charger R/T Offline
69charger R/T  Offline

connecticut
Let me first say I mean no offense to anyone,I'm not a bodyman. I have been reading all the posts on charger quarter panels because I will be needing some for my car.It's hard to judge who's panel's are good or not with all these different replies. Some of you guys seem awfully picky about the fit of both panels, Again no offense, if I had a bodyguy doing my car I would want him to be picky. Are you guys saying if you had an OEM panel it would fit perfect with no modification at all ?? I don't see how anyone could make a panel and have it fit perfect on every car, these cars are 40 years old. How do you know if the body may have flexed or have been damaged over the years of its life and thats why the panel doesn't fit perfect?? I'm trying to under stand everyones opinions on these panels ?? When you say your not happy with the fit or the panels do you mean you don't think the panels are worth the money you paid for them and you wouldn't buy them again ?? Aren't both these panels better than what you had to work with ?? Maybe I'm thinking too much or just reading these post wrong, some guys don't sound to happy. When it comes time to do my car I was looking at the AMD panels because for me $699.00 is a lot easier to do than $1000.00 to $1500.00 for the CBD panels. But, I also believe in the old saying you get what you pay for !! But there is a big price difference between the two panels. Maybe its me but this is very confusing to me.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi [Re: 69charger R/T] #169149
01/10/09 04:25 PM
01/10/09 04:25 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Let me first say I mean no offense to anyone,I'm not a bodyman. I have been reading all the posts on charger quarter panels because I will be needing some for my car.It's hard to judge who's panel's are good or not with all these different replies. Some of you guys seem awfully picky about the fit of both panels, Again no offense, if I had a bodyguy doing my car I would want him to be picky. Are you guys saying if you had an OEM panel it would fit perfect with no modification at all ?? I don't see how anyone could make a panel and have it fit perfect on every car, these cars are 40 years old. How do you know if the body may have flexed or have been damaged over the years of its life and thats why the panel doesn't fit perfect?? I'm trying to under stand everyones opinions on these panels ?? When you say your not happy with the fit or the panels do you mean you don't think the panels are worth the money you paid for them and you wouldn't buy them again ?? Aren't both these panels better than what you had to work with ?? Maybe I'm thinking too much or just reading these post wrong, some guys don't sound to happy. When it comes time to do my car I was looking at the AMD panels because for me $699.00 is a lot easier to do than $1000.00 to $1500.00 for the CBD panels. But, I also believe in the old saying you get what you pay for !! But there is a big price difference between the two panels. Maybe its me but this is very confusing to me.

Even NOS panels have their issuses, every car is different, everyones technique is different, some people lack the skills, or knowledge to perform a correct installation,(no one in particular, just a general comment)...... I make my own reproduction parts, and I've been hanging sheetmetal for over 30 years......I've seen just about every thing that should and shouldn't be done, or used,......

Regarding the quality of AMD's repros,( I've used a lot of their stuff lately!)....I've found them to be as good, or better than OEM,....yes, sometimes their can be issuses, and others can, or seem to blow them out of proportion?.....but I'll take either the CBD or AMD's over any 3/4 repair panel, or having to fabricate, and bodywork a panel ALLDAY!.......if the AMD's fall within your budget, use them, you won't be sorry! IMHO

4938221-0000a.jpg (187 downloads)
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi [Re: DAYCLONA] #169150
01/28/09 03:12 AM
01/28/09 03:12 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

UPDATE !
OK ! I now have AMD 1/4 panels to do a side by side comparison and test fit of both brands on the same car.
First off.CBD packaging is better.AMD packaging is OK,but the rough treatment shippers seem to use will damage anything not packed in 10" of foam all around.
Pulling the AMD 1/4's out of the boxes and first examination shows:
Side marker for the 1969 is well stamped and the original marker fits in and looks right.
The panels have black EDP primer making it easier to see damage/flaws etc.
There are some waves,but nothing extreme.
Picking up the panels,it felt heavy.So I got out my bathroom scale,and while holding the panel,I weighed myself and subtracted my own weight to arrive at this:
OEM original mopar 1/4 panel[with no undercoating inside since it was an NOS part once] = 30 lbs
Classic Body Designs 1/4 panel = 29 lbs
Auto Metal Direct 1/4 panel = 40 lbs
Yes the AMD 1/4 panel is 10 lbs heavier.Done on a bathroom scale,so there is room for error here,but a did the weighing twice for each panel and got the same results each time.I did not have a micrometer handy,but it looks heavier guage than the OEM or CBD panels to the naked eye.
Giving the AMD panel a firm press with a finger,it did not deflect at all.It is rigid feeling where the CBD and OEM panels have some flex[which is normal]Probably since the panel is heavier guage metal,it is just more rigid.
The lower rear body line,which on an original Charger is rounder than all the other body lines,is too sharp on the AMD panel.I took a piece of solid round stock about 1 3/4 in diameter,and using it as a dolly,gently rounded the line,and it looks good now with no filler work needed since the metal is heavy enough to work and metal finish.
I see also that the AMD panel comes with the reinforcement already attached inside where the roof sail panel makes the transition to the trunk opening.Nice because it keeps the contour right.
Comparing the edges,the AMD panel is crisper all around than the CBD panel.The door ,trunk,wheel opening and rear 1/4 "boomerang'extension folds are as sharp as the OEM panel,and the extension fit right on.
OK, so now for the test fit.I had the car all ready to accept a panel.Nice flanges,old spotwelds dressed down flush etc.The AMD panels fit right on with no trimming whatsoever.Slid right under the roof panel lip,and into the jambs.So did the CBD panel for that matter.
Once fit on and jiggled around ,it fits quite well.The door gap is very nice in fact,and the trunk gap too.The contour is right at the trunk surface,and the ducktail contour matches too.The rear window flange is off some and needs some hammer/dolly work to reshape it to make it match the pinchweld flange here.There is some stamping waves in the inner sail area where a vinyl top rolls around to the window.No problem on a vinyl top car,but would need some smoothing on a painted roof car here.The lower forward area where the 1/4 wraps under the rocker area needs a little massaging too since the angled drains look a little different than the OEM and the flange is a little uneven,but again workable with a little hammer, dolly time.
The wheel opening appears to be quite close.Not perfect, but it should all come together when fully clamped in place.I did not have a wheel opening moulding handy to test fit.
The body lines match to the door very well.and the lines are sharp enough. There is a slight bulge to both the lt and rt 1/4's ahead of the marker light that will need some finessing once all installed.
The very rear lower edge that the valance corner fits to needed a slight reshaping to get the gap straight,but nothing serious.
The holes for the window fuzzies are all there,but are maybe 1/16" - 1/8" too high.I tried the belt moulding and it fits well.I don't see a problem here since on Chargers,the fuzzies sit lower down than the belt moulding so they are almost unseen from the outside.
Overall,I think the AMD panel fits well.
So no repro panels are perfect.NOS is almost unobtainable.Now we have choices.
So there you have my first impressions.I will be fitting both the CBD and AMD panels more and will post any other findings.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review #169151
01/28/09 03:47 AM
01/28/09 03:47 AM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
Pictures look good, cars are going back together. Sounds like the parts are getting better all the time, thanks to the vendors. I need a lower rear 1/4 panel patch for a 68-70, where should I buy one? Thanks for any help.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi #169152
01/28/09 05:35 AM
01/28/09 05:35 AM
Fitchbug, Mass.
WannaRunner Offline
enthusiast
WannaRunner  Offline
enthusiast

Fitchbug, Mass.
Quote:

UPDATE !
OK ! I now have AMD 1/4 panels to do a side by side comparison and test fit of both brands on the same car.
First off.CBD packaging is better.AMD packaging is OK,but the rough treatment shippers seem to use will damage anything not packed in 10" of foam all around.
Pulling the AMD 1/4's out of the boxes and first examination shows:
Side marker for the 1969 is well stamped and the original marker fits in and looks right.
The panels have black EDP primer making it easier to see damage/flaws etc.
There are some waves,but nothing extreme.
Picking up the panels,it felt heavy.So I got out my bathroom scale,and while holding the panel,I weighed myself and subtracted my own weight to arrive at this:
OEM original mopar 1/4 panel[with no undercoating inside since it was an NOS part once] = 30 lbs
Classic Body Designs 1/4 panel = 29 lbs
Auto Metal Direct 1/4 panel = 40 lbs
Yes the AMD 1/4 panel is 10 lbs heavier.Done on a bathroom scale,so there is room for error here,but a did the weighing twice for each panel and got the same results each time.I did not have a micrometer handy,but it looks heavier guage than the OEM or CBD panels to the naked eye.
Giving the AMD panel a firm press with a finger,it did not deflect at all.It is rigid feeling where the CBD and OEM panels have some flex[which is normal]Probably since the panel is heavier guage metal,it is just more rigid.
The lower rear body line,which on an original Charger is rounder than all the other body lines,is too sharp on the AMD panel.I took a piece of solid round stock about 1 3/4 in diameter,and using it as a dolly,gently rounded the line,and it looks good now with no filler work needed since the metal is heavy enough to work and metal finish.
I see also that the AMD panel comes with the reinforcement already attached inside where the roof sail panel makes the transition to the trunk opening.Nice because it keeps the contour right.
Comparing the edges,the AMD panel is crisper all around than the CBD panel.The door ,trunk,wheel opening and rear 1/4 "boomerang'extension folds are as sharp as the OEM panel,and the extension fit right on.
OK, so now for the test fit.I had the car all ready to accept a panel.Nice flanges,old spotwelds dressed down flush etc.The AMD panels fit right on with no trimming whatsoever.Slid right under the roof panel lip,and into the jambs.So did the CBD panel for that matter.
Once fit on and jiggled around ,it fits quite well.The door gap is very nice in fact,and the trunk gap too.The contour is right at the trunk surface,and the ducktail contour matches too.The rear window flange is off some and needs some hammer/dolly work to reshape it to make it match the pinchweld flange here.There is some stamping waves in the inner sail area where a vinyl top rolls around to the window.No problem on a vinyl top car,but would need some smoothing on a painted roof car here.The lower forward area where the 1/4 wraps under the rocker area needs a little massaging too since the angled drains look a little different than the OEM and the flange is a little uneven,but again workable with a little hammer, dolly time.
The wheel opening appears to be quite close.Not perfect, but it should all come together when fully clamped in place.I did not have a wheel opening moulding handy to test fit.
The body lines match to the door very well.and the lines are sharp enough. There is a slight bulge to both the lt and rt 1/4's ahead of the marker light that will need some finessing once all installed.
The very rear lower edge that the valance corner fits to needed a slight reshaping to get the gap straight,but nothing serious.
The holes for the window fuzzies are all there,but are maybe 1/16" - 1/8" too high.I tried the belt moulding and it fits well.I don't see a problem here since on Chargers,the fuzzies sit lower down than the belt moulding so they are almost unseen from the outside.
Overall,I think the AMD panel fits well.
So no repro panels are perfect.NOS is almost unobtainable.Now we have choices.
So there you have my first impressions.I will be fitting both the CBD and AMD panels more and will post any other findings.

Thanks for all the work you did Killer in passing along this info.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Revi [Re: WannaRunner] #169153
01/28/09 07:46 AM
01/28/09 07:46 AM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
Awsome work there!

That's alot of steps to checking out the car parts to see who has when and what needs fittin. Both sound like great parts and hopefully will be great for all the cars needing restoration.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: chargervert] #169154
01/28/09 02:25 PM
01/28/09 02:25 PM
God's Country - Etowah, TN.
A34 Offline
top fuel
A34  Offline
top fuel

God's Country - Etowah, TN.
Good work, thanks for the feedback. I need a passenger side NOS panel for one of my cars, now maybe I can find one at a reasonable price.

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !

DEO VINDICE
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: A34] #169155
01/28/09 09:03 PM
01/28/09 09:03 PM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
I put a left AMD panel on my 70 Charger R/T SE,and I was happy with the fit,it has some minor issues,but the NOS one I put on the right side required more work than the AMD peice. The NOS one was a nice peice too.

70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: chargervert] #169156
01/29/09 12:45 AM
01/29/09 12:45 AM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
We're bringing a 68 charger back from the dead with all AMD sheetmetal here... Everything is loose fit for now but seems to fit pretty good, we are having a bit of a fit problem with the 1/4's to deck lid but the alignmet of the trunk latches and braces are out on our car so we're patiently getting them back "in shape" Like I said we're bringing it back from the dead! It'll have new rear rails,rear crossmember, trunk extensions, 1 peice tunk, valance, valance corners, tail light housing, deck filler, 1/4's, gutters,outer wheelhouses full floor, rear floor sections, and fenders... all AMD exept the extensions, I had them already! Thank you AMD, this one was a goner without them!

4982215-IMG_3292.JPG (301 downloads)

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3