C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

This forum used to be a fun, informative place to share information. Now if you give hard earned information out for free a keyboard cowboy will argue with you. What happened?
Keith

I hope it changes. I used to find out lot's of good stuff here, and would, like that to come back. I just finished a Predator build that should have cost several thousand less than it did, and that was the reason for the post. A friend on this site was a huge help in every way, along with people like Pete @ Best. Otherwise, it would have cost much more and taken lots longer.
I should have named it "Engine Builders, you have my sympathy, except Indy"! Indirectly, I bet I spent over $25,000 with them and when I needed info, they just wanted to tell me what they would sell me. Oh well, lesson learned.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673918
09/29/14 05:09 PM
09/29/14 05:09 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I too would like to see it go back to the old way of sharing information. We will tall anyone anything they want to know. All we can do as racers is share our experiences with the parts we have tried over the years. It gets old coming on here and trying to share our experiences only to be belittle by folks who are either to set in their old ways or never get away from a keyboard long enough to race.

We too are working on out Predator deal. I am very happy for Tom and the way it appears things are headed. I wish nothing but the best for him with this deal .We are doing our best to do it right the first time as well. Already had setbacks with that and now it is apart waiting on some parts to be made to make it right. Hopefully we will eventually have something good to report, dyno numbers and all.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Al_Alguire] #1673919
09/29/14 05:21 PM
09/29/14 05:21 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

I too would like to see it go back to the old way of sharing information. We will tall anyone anything they want to know. All we can do as racers is share our experiences with the parts we have tried over the years. It gets old coming on here and trying to share our experiences only to be belittle by folks who are either to set in their old ways or never get away from a keyboard long enough to race.

We too are working on out Predator deal. I am very happy for Tom and the way it appears things are headed. I wish nothing but the best for him with this deal .We are doing our best to do it right the first time as well. Already had setbacks with that and now it is apart waiting on some parts to be made to make it right. Hopefully we will eventually have something good to report, dyno numbers and all.

Well Al, at least we know the power can be had. I think from our discussions, yours will be more of a max effort NOS build. That is, unless you changed your mind and went a different direction. Good luck with it, and let me know if I can help.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673920
09/29/14 05:38 PM
09/29/14 05:38 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Only a motor deal for now..If it cannot hang then it will become a nitrous deal next time with less stroke. Still think new can make some decent power but not 2.2hp per cube is within reach this time with the parts I have and the bleeding needs to stop at some point this go around.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Al_Alguire] #1673921
09/29/14 09:22 PM
09/29/14 09:22 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Only a motor deal for now..If it cannot hang then it will become a nitrous deal next time with less stroke. Still think new can make some decent power but not 2.2hp per cube is within reach this time with the parts I have and the bleeding needs to stop at some point this go around.

So are you expecting more or less than 2.2 hp/ci? Do you mind posting bore, stroke , rod length and RPM?

Just curious.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673922
09/30/14 03:28 AM
09/30/14 03:28 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Less...Don't ever really see these heads going much over that honestly.

And as much as it takes to get what we want. I aint afraid of no RPM. but realistically it will likely peak around 7800ish.

The bore will keep it from making what I want, just to small but it is a Mopar whats a guy to do. Other than go back to the 99 stuff I was running. Not the most reliable way to make power. The heads were originally Indy 460 Predator heads like Tom has. But they are getting massaged by a very smart guy who will undoubtedly find something more in them. We will post up all the results once we get there. We are waiting on the heads to return and Jesel to make some bushings right now. Let me just say as of right now it has not been very pretty.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Al_Alguire] #1673923
09/30/14 11:59 AM
09/30/14 11:59 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Less...Don't ever really see these heads going much over that honestly.

And as much as it takes to get what we want. I aint afraid of no RPM. but realistically it will likely peak around 7800ish.

The bore will keep it from making what I want, just to small but it is a Mopar whats a guy to do. Other than go back to the 99 stuff I was running. Not the most reliable way to make power. The heads were originally Indy 460 Predator heads like Tom has. But they are getting massaged by a very smart guy who will undoubtedly find something more in them. We will post up all the results once we get there. We are waiting on the heads to return and Jesel to make some bushings right now. Let me just say as of right now it has not been very pretty.

My math says 606 CID, so 2.0=1212, 2.1=1272.6 and 2.2=1333.2. Since I have never had a good look at the Predators (hands on) I would be willing to flow a predator head for free if you ship it to me. This offer goes to anyone with a predator head.

So was it only a reliability deal that stopped you on the 99 stuff, or was it down on power?

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Al_Alguire] #1673924
09/30/14 08:00 PM
09/30/14 08:00 PM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
Quote:

I don't think this place is much different than other automotive/racing forums. There is usually more than one way to reach performance goals, it only seems to get rough when there is a disagreement on how to accomplish that.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: EchoSixMike] #1673925
10/01/14 02:15 AM
10/01/14 02:15 AM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
Quote:

I was paging through the monthly NMCA paper and Scoggins-Dickey's add had a bunch of different LS-1/7/X blocks for sale. Some were under $1K, FOR AN ALUMINUM BLOCK. So unless Chevy is just dumping, it can be done. S/F....Ken M

They would be dumping them at that price, I would be surprised if that covered the cost of the casting and the machining

Alan Jones
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673926
10/01/14 03:45 AM
10/01/14 03:45 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
The 99 was just a very maintenance heavy deal. Especially for a TS car IMO. Plus I tend to have to race by myself on occasion and no way that is gonna happen with the 99.

It made real good power even backed down from it's pro stock form, it was right at 2.7hp per cube. Honestly if it were simpler to get more cubes is a killer set up. maybe one day I will revisit it but for now wanted to move on. Had a good run with it and won some races and finished second in heads up class with it by 2 points so we feel we represented Mopar well.

As for the Predator deal the heads are in very competent hands rest assured. If there is anything to be had on top of the Indy CNC work, and there is, it will be found. Just not much we can do about that puny little bore for now.

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14