09/18/14 02:58 PM
09/18/14 02:58 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Don't change a thing, horsepower is just a number. It'll be a beast in a manual transmission car.

R.

Re: 500cid low deck stroker fresh from dyno. Results? [Re: gregsdart] #1672768
09/18/14 03:13 PM
09/18/14 03:13 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Quote:

Quote:

Those are good numbers for a pump gas street engine. If you thought you were building a race engine then you went way too small on the cam and the compression.

The 512 low deck in my '65 Coronet makes similar numbers. I use a hyd roller cam with 250 at 0.050 cam and 10:1 compression. I also have CNC ported Edelbrock heads and a Performer RPM intake with a 750 carb.

The thought of trying the performer rpm intake on your motor crossed my mind. It may make the same or a bit less hp, but the midrange just might offset the loss of top end more than enough to go quicker, especially if you have a street/strip converter with less than optimum stall. Either way, that motor will put a smile on your face.

I've done a lot of A-B-A testing with dual plane and single plane intakes. The dual plane intakes are always better behaved on the street but they also always give up a small amount of top end power. On a real street car the dual plane is the way to go. On a marginal street car (steep gears, high stall converter, etc.) then maybe a person wants the extra power from the single plane. On the flip side, sometimes the stroker engines make so much torque that a person uses a single plane just to soften up the bottom end.

I'd never race a dual plane though. The cylinder to cylinder distribution issues are scary. Last time I ran an Indy DP on the dyno we lost a ton of power and the EGT's were all over the map. We shut the engine off to avoid any engine damage. The dyno operator and I looked at each other and swore "no more dual planes on race engines".

Re: 500cid low deck stroker fresh from dyno. Results? [Re: AndyF] #1672769
09/18/14 06:02 PM
09/18/14 06:02 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Those are good numbers for a pump gas street engine. If you thought you were building a race engine then you went way too small on the cam and the compression.

The 512 low deck in my '65 Coronet makes similar numbers. I use a hyd roller cam with 250 at 0.050 cam and 10:1 compression. I also have CNC ported Edelbrock heads and a Performer RPM intake with a 750 carb.

The thought of trying the performer rpm intake on your motor crossed my mind. It may make the same or a bit less hp, but the midrange just might offset the loss of top end more than enough to go quicker, especially if you have a street/strip converter with less than optimum stall. Either way, that motor will put a smile on your face.

I've done a lot of A-B-A testing with dual plane and single plane intakes. The dual plane intakes are always better behaved on the street but they also always give up a small amount of top end power. On a real street car the dual plane is the way to go. On a marginal street car (steep gears, high stall converter, etc.) then maybe a person wants the extra power from the single plane. On the flip side, sometimes the stroker engines make so much torque that a person uses a single plane just to soften up the bottom end.

I'd never race a dual plane though. The cylinder to cylinder distribution issues are scary. Last time I ran an Indy DP on the dyno we lost a ton of power and the EGT's were all over the map. We shut the engine off to avoid any engine damage. The dyno operator and I looked at each other and swore "no more dual planes on race engines".

Interesting info Andy. I do use the Indy dual plane but I would classify my 63 as a real 99% street car as I dive it alot and the last few years I am lucky to make the track once a year. I last went in Oct 2013 and hope to run at MIR on Oct 25th 2014. And I can honestly say I dont think I ever floor my 63 on the street as its not many places to even want to around my area and I dont need any tickets or trouble with the law. In fact the first time I raced my 63 at the track with the 493 I had to jet up as it was busting up over 5000 rpm and I did not know since it drove fine and I had never floored it on the street to even hit 5000 rpm.
I will say the driveability is great on the street with the dual plane but I want to try a single plane and see how the car likes it. I run 4.30's with a 30" tall tire and use a 9.5 Dynamic street/strip converter that flashes about 4200 at the track and drives around normal on the street. And my car weighs just over 3700 lbs. The other problem is my hood clearance as I believe the MP 337 intake is one of the only single planes that may fit under my hood as I wont change my hood or the scoop on the car. So I would love to try the single plane MP 337 intake and it would be nice to bolt a dominator on also. But cash is tight and I dont know when or if I will get to try a single plane. Course I need to see if my 3700 lb 4.30 geared 63 will like a single plane intake on the street. All I can say is when and if I get to try one if it goes faster I will get one to permanetly put on the car as I still like the old drag theory if it goes faster leave it on the car. Ron

Re: 500cid low deck stroker fresh from dyno. Results? [Re: WadeMetzinger] #1672770
09/18/14 08:56 PM
09/18/14 08:56 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

I agree, those numbers aren't bad for that combo,

I agree.

Re: 500cid low deck stroker fresh from dyno. Results? [Re: 383man] #1672771
09/18/14 09:56 PM
09/18/14 09:56 PM
Central NC
gch Offline
master
gch  Offline
master

Central NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting info Andy. I do use the Indy dual plane but I would classify my 63 as a real 99% street car as I dive it alot and the last few years I am lucky to make the track once a year. I last went in Oct 2013 and hope to run at MIR on Oct 25th 2014. And I can honestly say I dont think I ever floor my 63 on the street as its not many places to even want to around my area and I dont need any tickets or trouble with the law. In fact the first time I raced my 63 at the track with the 493 I had to jet up as it was busting up over 5000 rpm and I did not know since it drove fine and I had never floored it on the street to even hit 5000 rpm.
I will say the driveability is great on the street with the dual plane but I want to try a single plane and see how the car likes it. I run 4.30's with a 30" tall tire and use a 9.5 Dynamic street/strip converter that flashes about 4200 at the track and drives around normal on the street. And my car weighs just over 3700 lbs. The other problem is my hood clearance as I believe the MP 337 intake is one of the only single planes that may fit under my hood as I wont change my hood or the scoop on the car. So I would love to try the single plane MP 337 intake and it would be nice to bolt a dominator on also. But cash is tight and I dont know when or if I will get to try a single plane. Course I need to see if my 3700 lb 4.30 geared 63 will like a single plane intake on the street. All I can say is when and if I get to try one if it goes faster I will get one to permanetly put on the car as I still like the old drag theory if it goes faster leave it on the car. Ron

The street dominator would clear if you can open it up to MW ports.

Re: 500cid low deck stroker fresh from dyno. Results? [Re: gch] #1672772
09/19/14 01:11 PM
09/19/14 01:11 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
You can get an SD to about 3.25 Square inches (2.375 x 1.375) and maintain good taper to the plenum and it works really well. A standard MW port is (IIRC) 2.6" x 1.3" and a standard 906 is around 2.85 Sq in (I forget the exact dimensions but it's like 2.27 x 1.23...ish?) My SD plenum porting (only) was ~.15 better in ET and 1+ mph on a 493" in a 3700+ pound high 10 B body with Standard port E heads. In order to max out he runner the ports in the head need to be opened up a bit as well, but the key is the intake should not reduce the flow of the port, as many, most do...at least in the powerband/rpm range you're tuning to.

IMO, The issue with the SD and many other single planes is the consecutive cylinder firing between the 2-1 and 5-7 pulses where those runners happen to be adjacent. the 'first pig at the trough' (in this case the plenum) tends to steal a little from the second. Dual planes have other distribution issues, just not THAT particular issue.

I love a Ported SD on a 500", but a ported Indy Dual plane might be the way I'd go on that one, open up and radius those lower plenum to runner transitions, particularly # 7. I could see how there could be an A/F distribution problem with an As Cast 440-2d MW manifold...the uppers flow about 355-360 but the lowers only do about 320...again AS CAST.....so doesn't mean it's a bad manifold, just like a Victor 340 or a BBM SD, the potential from porting really is there...and it's well worth the effort to go get.

Last edited by Streetwize; 09/19/14 01:20 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: 500cid low deck stroker fresh from dyno. Results? [Re: Streetwize] #1672773
09/19/14 06:37 PM
09/19/14 06:37 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

You can get an SD to about 3.25 Square inches (2.375 x 1.375) and maintain good taper to the plenum and it works really well. A standard MW port is (IIRC) 2.6" x 1.3" and a standard 906 is around 2.85 Sq in (I forget the exact dimensions but it's like 2.27 x 1.23...ish?) My SD plenum porting (only) was ~.15 better in ET and 1+ mph on a 493" in a 3700+ pound high 10 B body with Standard port E heads. In order to max out he runner the ports in the head need to be opened up a bit as well, but the key is the intake should not reduce the flow of the port, as many, most do...at least in the powerband/rpm range you're tuning to.

IMO, The issue with the SD and many other single planes is the consecutive cylinder firing between the 2-1 and 5-7 pulses where those runners happen to be adjacent. the 'first pig at the trough' (in this case the plenum) tends to steal a little from the second. Dual planes have other distribution issues, just not THAT particular issue.

I love a Ported SD on a 500", but a ported Indy Dual plane might be the way I'd go on that one, open up and radius those lower plenum to runner transitions, particularly # 7. I could see how there could be an A/F distribution problem with an As Cast 440-2d MW manifold...the uppers flow about 355-360 but the lowers only do about 320...again AS CAST.....so doesn't mean it's a bad manifold, just like a Victor 340 or a BBM SD, the potential from porting really is there...and it's well worth the effort to go get.

As I was saying I do like the Indy dual plane and how well it drives on the street. I did buy it from Dwayne Porter and he did a little work on it for me. But I am an old racer who always likes to see how other parts may work. And I figure if I get the chance to try the 337 intake one day I might but believe me if it runs no faster or not enough to be worth my time the Indy dual plane will stay on. No matter what a dyno or a person says to me the dragstrip is still the only real test performance wise for me. I will say the Indy dual plane on my 63 now is a very nice friendly driving intake and may still be the intake that stays on it for good if I dont try one that gives better results at the track. And I hope to try a bigger carb also some day. I will admit though that my health with my knee and back problems has gotten worse so it may be some time before I get to try things I would like too. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/19/14 06:39 PM.
Re: 500cid low deck stroker fresh from dyno. Results? [Re: 440Jim] #1672774
09/19/14 11:04 PM
09/19/14 11:04 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Quote:

Quote:

I agree, those numbers aren't bad for that combo,

I agree.

Re: 500cid low deck stroker fresh from dyno. Results? [Re: cudaerik] #1672775
09/20/14 06:22 AM
09/20/14 06:22 AM
Sweden
Mopar Guy Offline
mopar
Mopar Guy  Offline
mopar

Sweden
Hi Erik,

You will have fun whit that beast in a Cuda I run a 505 RB stroker whit a tad less dur but more lift in a Challenger and a 4 speed. Be carefull becas you can twist that body if you have to mutch tracktion

8275558-inst1.JPG (86 downloads)
Page 2 of 2 1 2