I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again, my car fell on it`s face past the 1/8th w/a black Holley and the Aeromotive.............installed the 300 Magnafuel and had to re-tune the carb and went solid 9`s. And my car`s not that bad azz............

Ummmm, if you "had to retune the carb", how do you KNOW the pump/reg was causing your problems?

I once tried a billet cement mixer pump and high $$ reg on a low 10 second combo, replacing JUST the 10 year old Blue pump and reg. Adjusted the PSI to be the same, and ran it. Weather station was identical to the weekend before and said I should go 10.30's based on my data. (With the old Holley stuff).

Guess what??? 10.30's at the same speed with the new (thankfully borrowed) high $$ "junk".

It LOOKED trick though...

Gotta agree with ya. My old 9.80's car( 3350 weight) ran a Holley black and Holley large port regulator for years. Ultra consistent car, saw about 7500 at the stripe every pass.
I caved in to peer pressure and went hog wild witha return style way bigger pump/ lines,etc, etc..... And saw zero difference after throwing a grand at a nonexistent problem.
My new car is much slower, but I run a pump similar to a black on it through the stock tank sock, 5/16 line and small Holley regulator. It pulls hard on the back half
of the track for what it is, zero nosing over. I have no concerns it's leaning out.
Just my

Small motor, small demands try that w/a stout big block and report back with us. Also do you have a wideband? Install one then you`ll see the fuel curve w/your own eyes and can verify not assume..........My car pulled like a beast, went to chassis dyno and was approaching dangerously lean 16.1 numbers..............

What do you mean, small motor small demands? Car ran the same numbers yours does and was 150 pounds heavier

My bad...........I was refering to the new 318 motor and the 5 1/16 line.............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1672035
09/18/14 02:02 AM
09/18/14 02:02 AM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Ran 2 Holley blue pumps in series from 1988-2006. Same pumps and regulator never an issue. Car ran 10.80-10.90 from 1988-2000. Upgraded the engine and got the car down to 10 teens w/the same set up. Only leak I ever had in my fuel system was the big Fram fuel filter.

Why would you run 2 pumps in series and not parallel

I was in college at the time and money was almost non-existent. Ran One pump but it would not keep up w/the motor so tried them in series and no more trouble. I could have ran them sep w/one to each bowl but more line, fittings etc and if one pump went bad(never did)one of the bowls would go empty.
This set up was basically a junk yard motor, heavy TRW pistons, 6 pk rods, 452 heads etc.
Simply was a cheap way of racing while finishing college.

Ok
Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? [Re: cudatom] #1672036
09/18/14 02:27 AM
09/18/14 02:27 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ran 2 Holley blue pumps in series from 1988-2006. Same pumps and regulator never an issue. Car ran 10.80-10.90 from 1988-2000. Upgraded the engine and got the car down to 10 teens w/the same set up. Only leak I ever had in my fuel system was the big Fram fuel filter.

I was in college at the time and money was almost non-existent. Ran One pump but it would not keep up w/the motor so tried them in series and no more trouble. I could have ran them sep w/one to each bowl but more line, fittings etc and if one pump went bad(never did)one of the bowls would go empty.
This set up was basically a junk yard motor, heavy TRW pistons, 6 pk rods, 452 heads etc.

You were only lacking a bit of volume so if you put
them in parallel you only have a Y and the 2 supply
lines.. no need to run 2 lines forward.. this has been
the way I've done it for years

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1672037
09/18/14 10:25 AM
09/18/14 10:25 AM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Best thing I ever did for my Holley Blue Pumps was ditch the dead headed regulators and go with a Moroso return style fuel log.

The pumps are a whole lot quieter and seem to last longer set up as a free flow system.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1672038
09/18/14 06:55 PM
09/18/14 06:55 PM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You were only lacking a bit of volume so if you put
them in parallel you only have a Y and the 2 supply
lines.. no need to run 2 lines forward.. this has been
the way I've done it for years

I agree w/what you are saying. We had an extra pump laying around and just added it. More than likely the 1st pumps output was low. I know we always ran 9 lbs of pressure to keep the bowls full(even w/2 pumps). My friends couldnt believe I didnt have fuel pumping out everywhere. Should have spent time looking into it further but the band aid worked. Then the the car was so consistent I just never changed anything. I look back on some of the stuff we did back then and just laugh now. But we still got to race and have fun. Lol
Mr Pbody I always like your post very informative.

Ok
Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? [Re: cudatom] #1672039
09/18/14 07:06 PM
09/18/14 07:06 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I agree w/what you are saying. We had an extra pump laying around and just added it. More than likely the 1st pumps output was low. I know we always ran 9 lbs of pressure to keep the bowls full(even w/2 pumps). My friends couldnt believe I didnt have fuel pumping out everywhere. Should have spent time looking into it further but the band aid worked. Then the the car was so consistent I just never changed anything. I look back on some of the stuff we did back then and just laugh now. But we still got to race and have fun. Lol
Mr Pbody I always like your post very informative.

Thanks... more than likely your gauge just wasnt right..
thats why you were running the so called 9# but in
reality it was a fair bit lower... but I hear ya on
the aspect that it worked so leave it alone

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? [Re: roadhazard] #1672040
09/18/14 08:06 PM
09/18/14 08:06 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Quote:

Best thing I ever did for my Holley Blue Pumps was ditch the dead headed regulators and go with a Moroso return style
The pumps are a whole lot quieter and seem to last longer set up as a free flow system.

Same here with ONE blue pump and fuel log. My tank (2 gallon) was in the front, 800+hp with a 7320 carb, ran 5.50-125 eight with loose converter( took em 4 tries to get it tight enough) did not run lean. I would think most pump problems traces back to lines from the back being to big, hard to overcome gravity with that much fuel weight.

Re: Holley Blue pumps and regulators? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1672041
09/18/14 08:12 PM
09/18/14 08:12 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
At a .5 BSFC number, a 1000HP motor needs 500 lb/hr of fuel. A Blue Holley pump free flows 110GPH.........So a little quick math tells us, that with a gallon of fuel weighing roughly 8lbs, that our pump needs to supply 62.5 GPH to deliver the required lb/hr of fuel.........hmmm. Now obviously when you regulate the Holley down, it no longer flows as much, but it is more than enough for 99% of the cars on this board, same for the regulators.

MOST guys problems with their fuel system is NOT the pump, it is the system itself being poorly laid out. Many times the high zoot pump fixes it, because the big pump over comes the issues in the system itself.

We run 900" nitrous pro-mods with 4 and 5 stages of spray with ONE pump. Usually Magna-Fuel 500s. Doubt many 10 second bracket cars need the same amount of pump.........LOL!!!

The fuel you NEED to produce a certain amount of power and the fuel you are actually GETTING, may have little to do with the pump and reg itself.

Before we went EFI, we fed the single Dominator on our 632, that makes just shy of 1200hp with ONE single Holley regulator.......and did I mention it made close to 1200hp on the dyno with that regulator........hmmm...........LOL!!!

Its very simple........If the pump and reg you have will keep the fuel bowls full of fuel for an entire run........you HAVE enough pump.

Monte

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3