Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So running a stock oil pan 340 on a road course with only the factory windage tray is a bad idea huh?!

Big Willow Springs has more long gradual corners. I ran there a few times without I direct issue. BUT I had Dr Bob drive/instruct the car once (ran road race cars at national competitive level) he sucked the pan dry in two laps. The hydraulic lifters clattered, oil foamed, and I waited about an hour for things to settled down. I think Jim Lusk was there.

Two years later #6 rod bearing started to thud. And then I starting complaining to the owner of Milodon who is in our car club about the lack of a small block mopar road race pan.

Tighter tracks can be more of an issue.

Isn't there one now?

I believe Autoxcuda had some influence in that. However, compared to the other oil pans (like the street/strip) it is pretty expensive. Somewhere around $350-400+ depending on the vendor.

Yes. I bugged the owner of Milodon for couple years or so. I have an old "do it yourself" Milodon circle track sump kit and I was going to make one myself. He said many people were unsuccessful in some way and those kits were a PITA for the company and made them look bad even though they didn't make the pan.

After my rod bearing went bad, he said he'd just make me a pan. Out of pity I think. I pitched him the popularity of the whole pro-touring deal, he thought about it, and started the project with idea of making it a production piece.

I brought over (~4-5 minute drive) a 73-76 K-member and motor mounts, steering gear, etc to the Milodon plant and we mocked it up. Then he made revisions.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1657197
08/12/14 09:26 AM
08/12/14 09:26 AM
omahell, ne
B
buconine Offline OP
enthusiast
buconine  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

omahell, ne
Have a new tank and gas cap ordered, that should help. The cap is a old locking one with a cracked seal.

Stock trans pan. Possible vent issue from running in 1st gear?

Does running the car a quart over full on oil help? Used to do this on my 440 drag car until i got a real pan on it, not sure if it would help/hurt.

Car has a tiny radiator and flex fan with no shroud. Both going away this winter.

Did the novice walk and made a second lap on my own. Just made some rookie mistakes. There were a surprising amount of dnfs in that area of the course.

Have 6 weeks before the next event to get things fixed. Little stuff will get done but the big stuff will have to wait for winter when i take the car apart for bbp brakes and suspension.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: buconine] #1657198
08/12/14 12:44 PM
08/12/14 12:44 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
I believe there are baffeled gas tanks on the market that would fit our cars in the stock location... but my experience is to run only ~1/3-1/4-1/8 tank of fuel (less weight! and it eliminates the fuel spills)... I run a stock tank.. but I also wrap a small rag around the gas cap.

Trans pan --- 1st gear should not have any effect. over-filling the trans will alow spillage. I suggest for you to change the fill tube with a locking-type stick (Mancicni and others sell them).. the rubber gasket fits/seals better.

Flex-fans... not allowed in SCCA Solo/autocross.. danger from breaking (although I've never had that problem with mine.. and I questioned SCCA rules committee about their decision from years ago.... they felt is was safety as per drag-race history of flexfans breaking... perhaps el-cheapo-type flex fans do break).

Invest in a good radiator.. and absolutely use a shroud around the fan.... and/or use electric fans (but they add weight up front where you don't want it).

Walking the courses will eventually make this "memorization" a 2nd-nature to you... you'll teach yourself to quickly learn and memorize each different course/wknd.... concentration!!!.. mental notes! learn to "speed read" the course in your mind. On the otherhand, if you attend road race tracks, well... those courses typically never change their layout. If you recieve course maps on paper, mark your apex locations. Talk with other experienced drivers for their advice. Keep a log book (location, surface type (asphalt/concrete), temps, tire psi, etc.

Good luck with the future mods to your car. Don't comprimise too much or you'll only wish you went full-throttle with the mods. GET A RULE BOOK from the club(s) you'll be racing with and build your car around those club rules... Don't waiste excessive $$ on mods that will place you into another class/category where you'd only find yourself non-competative because you didn't modify your car even further to the rule book's limits for that class/category. In other words, spend your $$ wisely. Read and study the allowable rules BEFORE you make the mods. Plan and budget... time and $$$. In the long run, its much more fun being competative, rather than not competative.

8237789-DSC08414.jpg (131 downloads)

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: buconine] #1657199
08/12/14 08:07 PM
08/12/14 08:07 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Hey, You got to drive to drive on a good course!

Sortof in order of importance.

1. Fix the car. It's very hard to stay focus on driving when there are mechanical issues. There's just no time in autocross for even the slightest distraction.

2. Hot. You mean the coolant or the oil?
Oil> The oil should not be getting excessively hot from autocross. When excessive oil temps occur, its normally under long periods of high load like driving at high speed for long periods of time, or towing, mountains etc.
Coolant> Coolant can get hot under a number of conditions. If the car is at low speed, anything to improve the efficiency of the fan is will help.
Flex-fan > I had a Chrysler flex fan send a 1/2 a blade into the side of the battery outside of Fredricksburg Virginia. Post-mortum showed a small crack had existed for a while before it suddenly fractured through. Every part has its weaknesses. I learned that one the hard way.

3. Oil control. All of the center sump LA oil pans are relatively poor in terms of oil control. The sump is very short. Some are slightly worse. Horizontal baffles on all four sides will help. On the sides, slightly higher baffles will help. Take a pan, fill the sump with water and tilt 45 degrees to represent 1 g of acceleration and you'll see what's going on.

3a. More Oil. Maybe, but the risk is that the oil will at times be high enough in the sump to get hit by the crank. This will aerate the oil. Not worth the risk.

3b. Windage tray. Cut or punch more louvers. (This is from the old Direct Connection bulletins).

4. Oil-weight. Oil weight depends on oil temperature and bearing clearence. Going to higher weight will result in less volume reaching the bearings and top end. Exception is if on the track the oil temps are higher than normal. Then higher wt at higher temperature will result in approximately the same viscosity at the lower wt at lower oil temperature. Oil temp and oil pressure gages are good tools for making this decision.

5. Autocross. Hey you had fun. That IS the main point, right?
Some suggestions basically along the lines of what Mitch and others have written.

Walk the course, Walk the course again, then Walk the Course. Now drive it in your head! Walk it again.

During my walk throughs, I first get a lay of the land. By this I mean I make a big picture in my head of the overall shape and elements. Then I look for key cones, markers, and misleading cones. Oh yes. Most serious SCCA events have at least a few misleading cones and also elements that lack a good apex markers. This is a game and it has its tricks just like all games do.

While driving, look as far down the road as you can. Keep it smooth, smooth, smooth especially corner entry. Look as far ahead as you can - between the cones. Try to think ahead as well.

First book on
The Handling Reading List may be of interest.
Also might find Roger Johnson's how to design an autocross course interesting. A web search should turn up the most current version.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: Mattax] #1657200
08/12/14 08:55 PM
08/12/14 08:55 PM
omahell, ne
B
buconine Offline OP
enthusiast
buconine  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

omahell, ne
Fixing all the leaks are first priority. I will chase cooling and fans after that. Brakes, suspension and engine are going to wait till winter.

The engine is a high mile 69 383 stock with the exception of intake and carb. No smoke, no leaks and it runs well.

Coolant temp was getting warm going rounds with 15 minutes between runs. Rad and fans should fix that.

I don't think the car will be real competitive in cam but you never know. Still waiting for the club to post results from the event.

Thanks for the tips!

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: buconine] #1657201
08/12/14 10:23 PM
08/12/14 10:23 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Glad to be of some help.

Big block pans can also use a horizontal baffle. Rick E-berg had an article on how to make one that looks to be effective. Looks because I haven't first hand experience on it. The small block one is not that effective. My comment about baffles on the sides won't apply to the b/RB pans. IIRC A number of company make a shallow depth baffled and/or expanded pan for B/RB. Check out Moroso Canton Kevco Milidon if you're in the market.

Another oil control area can show up but more on sloped courses and high speed tracks - that's oil coming out of the valve covers, breathers and PCV.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1657202
08/13/14 02:13 PM
08/13/14 02:13 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Yeah, Mopars weren't designed to go around corners very hard! You'll be finding and fixing leaks for as long as you turn corners. Those cars leak everywhere once you start pulling some G's. Tim and I chased leaks for years on the red Valiant. Whenever the car got faster we would find another leak.

I'm hoping some of the advice in this threads allows me to get up the leak curve a bit faster. I may have to rethink my valve cover baffles and I never thought of the rear axle breather. Thanks for the good ideas. Keep em coming.

Quote:

Yes. I bugged the owner of Milodon for couple years or so.

I, for one, am thankful for this. I've picked up two since this was created. Any idea how well they are selling? I hope it doesn't turn into a discontinued item in another couple of years.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: TC@HP2] #1657203
08/13/14 02:22 PM
08/13/14 02:22 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Is the road race pan kit even offered anymore, Summit lists one but lists as "unavailable, Moroso had one also, might have been the same one, with same result.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: TC@HP2] #1657204
08/13/14 05:23 PM
08/13/14 05:23 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

I, for one, am thankful for this. I've picked up two since this was created. Any idea how well they are selling? I hope it doesn't turn into a discontinued item in another couple of years.

Last I asked him it was doing fine. I just heard someone on another board that bought one recently.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1657205
08/14/14 12:29 PM
08/14/14 12:29 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Re: Miloden road race oil pans -- I intend to eventually get one... maybe two (1-340, 1-360).... would make an excellent gift to me from family (b-days, etc)!

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1657206
08/15/14 08:21 PM
08/15/14 08:21 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Last I asked him it was doing fine. I just heard someone on another board that bought one recently.

From Summit:

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: jcc] #1657207
08/16/14 02:26 AM
08/16/14 02:26 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From Summit:

Ok, we are talking about two different things. I think it got confusing because I mentioned that sump do it yourself kit from Moroso. My bad.

The pre made road racing small block mopar oil pan from Milodon is readily available.

A long time ago Milodon make a do it yourself kit like that Moroso kit. And Milodon does not make it anymore. Apparently Moroso still does.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 08/16/14 02:36 AM.
Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1657208
08/16/14 03:28 PM
08/16/14 03:28 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From Summit:

Ok, we are talking about two different things. I think it got confusing because I mentioned that sump do it yourself kit from Moroso. My bad.

The pre made road racing small block mopar oil pan from Milodon is readily available.

A long time ago Milodon make a do it yourself kit like that Moroso kit. And Milodon does not make it anymore. Apparently Moroso still does.

According to the summit link I posted, the moroso kit is NOT available, but so far to me its unconfirmed if it is also is still offered anywhere. I like the kit solution as it allowed custom tweaking, rather then one size fits all. I am doubtful of the validity of the bad kit installs being a bad mark on the manufacturer, and in the over a decade here on mopars, I have never heard that comment, not saying it hasn't happened, I really suspect the profitability and sales are much higher though with a completed pan.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: jcc] #1657209
08/16/14 06:47 PM
08/16/14 06:47 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From Summit:

According to the summit link I posted, the moroso kit is NOT available, but so far to me its unconfirmed if it is also is still offered anywhere. I like the kit solution as it allowed custom tweaking, rather then one size fits all. I am doubtful of the validity of the bad kit installs being a bad mark on the manufacturer, and in the over a decade here on mopars, I have never heard that comment, not saying it hasn't happened, I really suspect the profitability and sales are much higher though with a completed pan.

I didn't say it was a bad kit.

But the people doing the fab incorrectly blame it on the kit. The manufacturer get calls with all kinds of questions. The labor dollars answering question could have just built the pan. And when someone sees homemade kit pan that's butched up, they associate the whole construction with the manufacture made it rather than the car owner that built a kit.

Yes, I'm sure there's more profit in the constructed pan. It's just there are other reasons too.

Wouldn't the person capable of welding, fitting, cutting that kit also be able to cut and weld the kickouts and make the trap doors themselves?

No doubt, the kit is a great head start. But I don't think it's unavailability prevents someone from making there own pan.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1657210
08/16/14 11:54 PM
08/16/14 11:54 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Why would going from a deeper trans pan back to stock help with the trans dip stick leak?

I want my fair share
Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1657211
08/17/14 05:53 PM
08/17/14 05:53 PM
omahell, ne
B
buconine Offline OP
enthusiast
buconine  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

omahell, ne
Shopping for radiators. Current radiator is 26"/19"/2" and mounted really low in the support with a big gap on the top. Thinking about trying to remount the radiator square in the support, sealing the gaps and adding an electric fan. The fan is only hitting the top half of the radiator as it sits. Car runs cool while driving, heats up in traffic.

8243440-rad2.jpg (99 downloads)
Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: buconine] #1657212
08/17/14 06:05 PM
08/17/14 06:05 PM
omahell, ne
B
buconine Offline OP
enthusiast
buconine  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

omahell, ne
pic2

8243448-rad1.jpg (106 downloads)
Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: buconine] #1657213
08/17/14 06:18 PM
08/17/14 06:18 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
If it was me, I'd plug the gap, and fabricate a partial shroud on 1st attempt. the last thing for me would be to raise anything of weight on a handling car. If a partial shroud doesn't solve enough of the traffic issues, I'd only then consider a full shroud, and this is assuming all other cooling items are in good order.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: jcc] #1657214
08/17/14 06:51 PM
08/17/14 06:51 PM
omahell, ne
B
buconine Offline OP
enthusiast
buconine  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

omahell, ne
the flex fan is illegal for scca, that's why i was going to swap to electric.

Re: What i learned at my first autox in the valiant [Re: buconine] #1657215
08/17/14 08:30 PM
08/17/14 08:30 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

the flex fan is illegal for scca, that's why i was going to swap to electric.

I'd go clutch fan with shroud.

But first, you are bleeding a ton of air around the radiator. Need to seal it up. That could be done for cheap in a temporary way just to see what would happen. Like duct tape and good cardboard.

Will the car suck a paper towel against the grille at idle?:

Last edited by autoxcuda; 08/17/14 09:10 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3