07/22/14 11:05 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

I wasn't doing Mopars back then, but on GM cars the slow closers on the throttle were mostly on stick cars. The reason being that during emissions testing, dropping the throttle closed quickly increased the unburned HC and CO. Stick cars had many more times of throttle-off, throttle-on because of shifting.

R.

Dont want to start a debate here but that is wrong. The dashpots are used mostly on auto cars. I just read it again in one of my auto training manuals from years ago just to be sure my memory was still working. Ron

Re: engine guy question about 383 [Re: 383man] #1648531
07/22/14 11:28 PM
07/22/14 11:28 PM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
Don't know much about other makes but mopars used dashpots mainly in stick cars and idle solenoids in the autos, at least 69 and earlier after 70 or so I see mostly solenoids. Ford I think was big on dashpots for autos

Re: engine guy question about 383 [Re: ademon] #1648532
07/23/14 01:18 AM
07/23/14 01:18 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I am not saying stick cars did not get dashpots as I know many did. But the auto books I have read over the years in my training always says they were used mostly on auto cars for all brands according to most auto books I have read thru the years in my training. I know that does not mean its gospel but most I have seen were always auto's but as you have said many stick cars seem to have them also. Ron

Re: engine guy question about 383 [Re: 383man] #1648533
07/23/14 11:23 AM
07/23/14 11:23 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

I wasn't doing Mopars back then, but on GM cars the slow closers on the throttle were mostly on stick cars. The reason being that during emissions testing, dropping the throttle closed quickly increased the unburned HC and CO. Stick cars had many more times of throttle-off, throttle-on because of shifting.

R.

Dont want to start a debate here but that is wrong. The dashpots are used mostly on auto cars. I just read it again in one of my auto training manuals from years ago just to be sure my memory was still working. Ron

Ron , sorry but you are wrong , my 69 383 4 speed bee and dart both have dashpots , as far as mopars are concerned it's a 4 speed thing.

The electric solenoids are used to set idle speed, some engines had a run on issue and the way around it was to set the throttle blades completely closed and use an electric solenoid to set and maintain idle speed.

Re: engine guy question about 383 [Re: JohnRR] #1648534
07/23/14 01:52 PM
07/23/14 01:52 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

R.

Ron , sorry but you are wrong , my 69 383 4 speed bee and dart both have dashpots , as far as mopars are concerned it's a 4 speed thing.

The electric solenoids are used to set idle speed, some engines had a run on issue and the way around it was to set the throttle blades completely closed and use an electric solenoid to set and maintain idle speed.

Mopar may have used them on stick cars but I am not wrong as I have been told by instructors and read it many times that they were used on auto cars. Heck I can post the page from one of the books I was given over the years in training. Ron

Re: engine guy question about 383 [Re: JohnRR] #1648535
07/23/14 02:39 PM
07/23/14 02:39 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

R.

Ok John it looks like we are both right. Here is a page from one of my auto books I got over the years and it says they use them on auto's.

Then I decided to pull out my 68 Dodge service manual and it says its used on manual trans. So can we both be right ?? Why not ?

And here is the page from the Dodge 68 service manual. I was surprised to see this as all of my books I got over the last 35 years in my tech training seemed to always say auto cars have them but I was wrong to doubt some on here who were also right. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 07/23/14 02:44 PM.
Re: engine guy question about 383 [Re: 383man] #1648536
07/23/14 03:56 PM
07/23/14 03:56 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

R.

Mopar may have used them on stick cars but I am not wrong as I have been told by instructors and read it many times that they were used on auto cars. Heck I can post the page from one of the books I was given over the years in training. Ron

But we aren't talking about brand X cars here on Moparts , or this particular subject car.

But thanks for posting up those pages ...

Re: engine guy question about 383 [Re: JohnRR] #1648537
07/23/14 05:12 PM
07/23/14 05:12 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
You are right as I realize we are talking Mopars here its just when ever I read or was told by an instructor they never specified any brand as the way I took it it was talking about all brands. But I admit I learned something here as I was just taught that mostly auto cars use them. I appoligize if I ofended anyone. And all my years around Mopars I never really looked into it on just Mopars until now. We learn something everyday is what they say. Ron

Page 2 of 2 1 2