07/16/14 07:33 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline
mopar
1320Dart  Offline
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Maybe that's where I am different than a lot of guys. Being in the racing sport for 39 years I study and read up on products before I spend my hard earned money. ESPECIALLY when the product I am buying cost over 5000 dollars. I knew for a fact that that when I ordered my block it was going to take well over the projected 12-16 weeks and I was fine with that. I ordered early enough to leave delayed delivery into my plans. Info is out there if you take the time to search for it. Google is your Friend.

I've been racing for 24 years now. Keith Black has always had a good name. So when I stepped up to the plate to purchase one of his blocks, this BS was the last thing I could have expected.

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cost is irrelevant, making memories is far more valuable!biggrin
Re: Different Question [Re: 1320Dart] #1647254
07/16/14 08:10 PM
07/16/14 08:10 PM
NW Indiana
F
fbs63 Offline
top fuel
fbs63  Offline
top fuel
F

NW Indiana
What does a KB block cost new now, ballpark? An Indy block is a stout piece and is available in any configuration imaginable. If a KB new cost anywhere near what guys are asking for them why bother. Almost double the price and a 6 month wait! No thanks. I know a lot of people don't like to spend money with Indy but a $2500 dollar premium is nuts.

Re: Different Question [Re: 1320Dart] #1647255
07/16/14 08:32 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe that's where I am different than a lot of guys. Being in the racing sport for 39 years I study and read up on products before I spend my hard earned money. ESPECIALLY when the product I am buying cost over 5000 dollars. I knew for a fact that that when I ordered my block it was going to take well over the projected 12-16 weeks and I was fine with that. I ordered early enough to leave delayed delivery into my plans. Info is out there if you take the time to search for it. Google is your Friend.

I've been racing for 24 years now. Keith Black has always had a good name. So when I stepped up to the plate to purchase one of his blocks, this BS was the last thing I could have expected.

Keith Black passed away a while back..

Re: Different Question [Re: Mulehead] #1647256
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
FWIW I think it took about 6 months for me to get my KB block back in 2006. At that time, that was the expected wait time.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Different Question [Re: an8sec70cuda] #1647257
07/16/14 08:35 PM
07/16/14 08:35 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
A Google search post from 2008. I'm glad this never happened.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Different Question [Re: Quicktree] #1647258
07/16/14 08:36 PM
07/16/14 08:36 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline
mopar
1320Dart  Offline
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Keith Black passed away a while back..

Yeah I know
What a terrible day

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cost is irrelevant, making memories is far more valuable!biggrin
Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: 440Jim] #1647259
07/16/14 10:29 PM
07/16/14 10:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

IMHO, there are 2 guys here that have a gripe, the others are just jumping on, because thats what they like to do.....

camastomcat....you have no gripe here....you didn't order a block....and we haven't heard a peep about the Predator headed monster that I am sure you dropped 25k+ on, that has yet to make a full pass after 2 years....you haven't bashed whomever sold/built that.....so why pile on something you are not even involved with ?

Al....You have no gripe here....and when will these 2 monsters you are building be ready ?

1320dart....You are on here still undecided what stroke engine you are going to build...so it wouldn't matter if you had a block anyway.....

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but no sense ganging up on someone, making accusations, etc....when not only don't you know what is going on...but it is NOT your deal....

Now 440Jim has reasons to gripe, because he actually bought one, and would have actually had his engine together, been at the track racing, putting up numbers within a few weeks of getting his block....and he has griped the least....

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: 440Jim] #1647260
07/16/14 10:48 PM
07/16/14 10:48 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
6 months seems reasonable for a semi-custom part. I ship standard parts the next day if I have them in stock. My last full custom job took close to a year to get out the door. I don't know anything about how KB runs their business but they might not have the cash balance available to keep any blocks in stock.

I have a hard time keeping some of my more expensive parts in stock during the busy part of the year and I don't offer options. As soon as you offer options on a base part then you end up with too many combinations to keep inventory on hand. Just one of the hazards of low volume manufacturing.

Re: Different Question [Re: fbs63] #1647261
07/16/14 11:18 PM
07/16/14 11:18 PM
NC
440Jim Offline OP
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline OP
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

What does a KB block cost new now, ballpark?

The invoice I asked for review, before shipping the block, totaled $6,769 total including shipping and options.

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: ] #1647262
07/16/14 11:43 PM
07/16/14 11:43 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

IMHO, there are 2 guys here that have a gripe, the others are just jumping on, because thats what they like to do.....

camastomcat....you have no gripe here....you didn't order a block....and we haven't heard a peep about the Predator headed monster that I am sure you dropped 25k+ on, that has yet to make a full pass after 2 years....you haven't bashed whomever sold/built that.....so why pile on something you are not even involved with ?

Al....You have no gripe here....and when will these 2 monsters you are building be ready ?

1320dart....You are on here still undecided what stroke engine you are going to build...so it wouldn't matter if you had a block anyway.....

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but no sense ganging up on someone, making accusations, etc....when not only don't you know what is going on...but it is NOT your deal....

Now 440Jim has reasons to gripe, because he actually bought one, and would have actually had his engine together, been at the track racing, putting up numbers within a few weeks of getting his block....and he has griped the least....

It was a lot more than 25K dooda and what dog do you have in this fight? I was going to order a block, was told the same thing, and I'm glad I didn't. As far as the Predator deal, I didn't bash anyone because Steve made everything right, and was a stand up guy, not that it's any of your business.

By the way 6 pack, I've been to their shop, owned a KB block B1 motor, and as I said, they are nice. I don't wish Ken or his family any ill will, but he's hurting himself with this delivery deal, and bracket racers along the way. BTW when was the last time you raced? I'll be out this week end and was out the last 2, so as I've posted my expensive build here, and the results, let's hear about yours. And...who made you hall monitor? Nuff said.

Re: Different Question [Re: 440Jim] #1647263
07/16/14 11:46 PM
07/16/14 11:46 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

What does a KB block cost new now, ballpark?

The invoice I asked for review, before shipping the block, totaled $6,769 total including shipping and options.

For all of the options you listed with shipping included, that sounds right. The blocks are nice, and if they take 6-8 months, so be it. That should told to the buyer at the time of order.

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: camastomcat] #1647264
07/16/14 11:59 PM
07/16/14 11:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

It was a lot more than 25K dooda and what dog do you have in this fight? I was going to order a block, was told the same thing, and I'm glad I didn't. As far as the Predator deal, I didn't bash anyone because Steve made everything right, and was a stand up guy, not that it's any of your business.

By the way 6 pack, I've been to their shop, owned a KB block B1 motor, and as I said, they are nice. I don't wish Ken or his family any ill will, but he's hurting himself with this delivery deal, and bracket racers along the way. BTW when was the last time you raced? I'll be out this week end and was out the last 2, so as I've posted my expensive build here, and the results, let's hear about yours. And...who made you hall monitor? Nuff said.

No.....you haven't posted the results of your Predator deal......perhaps you should warn others of the problems you had if you feel the need to look out for others....

And I'm just stating my opinion, I don't like to see people jump on this bashing bandwagon when they have nothing to do with it.....

and it's ironic that you are silent about problems that you were actually involved with....yet so vocal about something you are not involved with....

And me.....after racing with my 3 daughters in jr. dragsters.....I now have 2 of them in college at 23k/year each....and really have no desire to bracket race....

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: ] #1647265
07/17/14 12:22 AM
07/17/14 12:22 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No.....you haven't posted the results of your Predator deal......perhaps you should warn others of the problems you had if you feel the need to look out for others....

And I'm just stating my opinion, I don't like to see people jump on this bashing bandwagon when they have nothing to do with it.....

and it's ironic that you are silent about problems that you were actually involved with....yet so vocal about something you are not involved with....

And me.....after racing with my 3 daughters in jr. dragsters.....I now have 2 of them in college at 23k/year each....and really have no desire to bracket race....

I thought I did here but visit lot's of racing sites. Here you go.
I did post a you tube video of the predator on here sometime back of the dyno session. It dynoed 1152HP@7400 with 2 carbs.
I was never really satisfied with the results, but installed it at the end of 2011, and raced it at MATS which I wound up in the finals with Al Alguire. It ran a best of 7.20@188 with 1 carb. On the race pak however, it showed low oil pressure and I sent it back to be updated on a few things, which Steve Gill paid for, as I said a stand up guy.
The motor came back at the end of 2013 and at the Div in Las Vegas, it blew up.
Since that time I've been trying to recover financially and have been racing my B1/MC stuff. BTW, Steve helped with everything and put a lot of time, parts and money into helping me get back. I'm closing in on another one with a different combo and will hopefully be back out by the end of year.
I hope that satisfies your need to know about it. Now, what have you built and what kind of cash have you spent in this sport?
My gripe has to do with the broken promises some racing companies make in addition to their lack of sense of responsibility. Perhaps I'm just jealous that I can't stay in business that way, it's not just any one company but the level of acceptability in this sport I've been involved in for 40 years.

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: camastomcat] #1647266
07/17/14 12:25 AM
07/17/14 12:25 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Sorry, it cam back at the end of 2012, actually Steve drove it here from New Jersey, and it went in that winter. In March or 2013 it blew up. It had 28 total passes on it.

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: camastomcat] #1647267
07/17/14 12:48 AM
07/17/14 12:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My gripe has to do with the broken promises some racing companies make in addition to their lack of sense of responsibility. Perhaps I'm just jealous that I can't stay in business that way, it's not just any one company but the level of acceptability in this sport I've been involved in for 40 years.

Sounds like, if anything, you have a gripe with your engine builder.....My Opinion, which I can have in this country no matter how much money I have or don't have....is that 440Jim has a gripe with KB...You don't....so why not take out your frustrations where they belong....and it sounds like most would take 3 months late on a top quality piece instead of 30k worth of schrapnel.....that it sounds like you waited even longer for.....

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: ] #1647268
07/17/14 12:55 AM
07/17/14 12:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like, if anything, you have a gripe with your engine builder.....My Opinion, which I can have in this country no matter how much money I have or don't have....is that 440Jim has a gripe with KB...You don't....so why not take out your frustrations where they belong....and it sounds like most would take 3 months late on a top quality piece instead of 30k worth of schrapnel.....that it sounds like you waited even longer for.....

Tom has every right to make his comments and if you don't like it go over to the Hyundai forum.

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: ] #1647269
07/17/14 12:59 AM
07/17/14 12:59 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

I'm entitled to my opinion too, and you don't know jack. There are spectators and racers and you sir haven't been on the other side of the deal, so what would you know about it? Taking enjoyment in someone else's bad luck seems like bad karma to be but, like you say, it's your opinion and you're welcome to it.
Good luck with your blocks guys, when you get them you'll like them, just plan on lot's of time to get them.

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: camastomcat] #1647270
07/17/14 01:00 AM
07/17/14 01:00 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
I don't think anybody has a problem with it taking 6 months. The problem is they quoted 3. If it takes 6 months then quote it.

Even if I KNOW it will take you 6 months to deliver something and you tell me 3, you just lied to me and it could get messy. When you take money and don't deliver as promised you have a serious liability problem. Equity compels performance...

How does that HP block compare? Off topic I know but they said they actually have INVENTORY. Way above my paygrade but the guy at the show said he could ship me one Monday if I wanted it. $5700ish IIRC.

Kevin

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: Twostick] #1647271
07/17/14 01:11 AM
07/17/14 01:11 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

I don't think anybody has a problem with it taking 6 months. The problem is they quoted 3. If it takes 6 months then quote it.

Even if I KNOW it will take you 6 months to deliver something and you tell me 3, you just lied to me and it could get messy. When you take money and don't deliver as promised you have a serious liability problem. Equity compels performance...

How does that HP block compare? Off topic I know but they said they actually have INVENTORY. Way above my paygrade but the guy at the show said he could ship me one Monday if I wanted it. $5700ish IIRC.

Kevin

I saw their blocks in Las Vegas, and they look nice. I talked with him today and he said they were going to have more soon, but they were probably 3 weeks out or longer on what I need. I think he may have some hemi's, and they are priced competitively.

Re: Keith Black block - Ordered 1/17, shipped 7/16 [Re: camastomcat] #1647272
07/17/14 01:14 AM
07/17/14 01:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm entitled to my opinion too, and you don't know jack. There are spectators and racers and you sir haven't been on the other side of the deal, so what would you know about it? Taking enjoyment in someone else's bad luck seems like bad karma to be but, like you say, it's your opinion and you're welcome to it.
Good luck with your blocks guys, when you get them you'll like them, just plan on lot's of time to get them.

You sure do try and twist things....I don't take enjoyment over anyones bad luck.....it sounds like you have built up frustrations that you are taking out on KB when you have NO gripe with them.......

That would be like me ranting about your engine blowing up and bad mouthing your engine builder.....

And you don't see the irony that you state they will get a great block, it'll just take 6 months to get.....when you waited even longer, and spent way more money, for something you didn't like so much....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3