07/04/14 06:06 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Ok,

But it's a tough/expensive one to correct 100%.

The throttle shafts should be a dark color, they were not the same gold color as the throttle arms, etc. The problem is that the shafts were coated before the gold plated throttle arms were added to them. Because of the way the factory attached them they are not removable for restoration/re=plating. The star burst looking area in the center of the arms are the ends of the shafts peened over to retain them and are not removable, these star burst areas were also dark colored.

So far as I am aware there are only two ways to go, make an effort to make the shafts dark after plating the entire shaft gold, or (the more expensive way) buying brand new bases with factory darkened shafts already installed.

When I restore them I plate the shafts gold first and dip the shafts dark to the arms. This can not work on the center carb in between the double throttle shaft arms, or the end star burst areas. In addition, these areas that can't be dipped can be hand colored with paint or ink markers for a faux dark finish, it looks closer than plain gold but is still short of what the new bases offer in terms of exacting correctness.

*Also, the example Cuda1 posted is a bit deceptive as it looks gold....It isn't, either the camera flash made it look lighter than it is, or it's just faded to a lighter shade with age, they were darker when new, not black, just a dark brownish color

Re: 70 440-6 Engine Detail [Re: RealWing] #1641697
07/06/14 11:37 PM
07/06/14 11:37 PM
North carolina
D
Dennis Flinchum Offline
Dennis Flinchum  Offline
D

North carolina
Try these:
440+6 Engine Detailing: 440+6 Detailing-Mopar Muscle Sep 1998 Vol 10, Num 9

440-6 Resto: Six-Pac Serenade-Mopar Action Feb 2010 Vol 17, Num 6

Six-Pack Engine Detailing: Restoration Investigation Pt 1-High Performance Mopar Sep 1999 Vol 13, No 5
Six-Pack Engine Detailing: Restoration Investigation Pt 2-High Performance Mopar Oct 1999 Vol 13, No 6
Six-Pack Engine Detailing: Restoration Investigation Pt 3-High Performance Mopar Nov 1999 Vol 13, No7

Hope these help.

Re: 70 440-6 Engine Detail [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1641698
07/07/14 11:28 AM
07/07/14 11:28 AM
South-Central (Sebring), FL
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

South-Central (Sebring), FL
Quote:

Ok,

But it's a tough/expensive one to correct 100%.

The throttle shafts should be a dark color, they were not the same gold color as the throttle arms, etc. The problem is that the shafts were coated before the gold plated throttle arms were added to them. Because of the way the factory attached them they are not removable for restoration/re=plating. The star burst looking area in the center of the arms are the ends of the shafts peened over to retain them and are not removable, these star burst areas were also dark colored.

So far as I am aware there are only two ways to go, make an effort to make the shafts dark after plating the entire shaft gold, or (the more expensive way) buying brand new bases with factory darkened shafts already installed.

When I restore them I plate the shafts gold first and dip the shafts dark to the arms. This can not work on the center carb in between the double throttle shaft arms, or the end star burst areas. In addition, these areas that can't be dipped can be hand colored with paint or ink markers for a faux dark finish, it looks closer than plain gold but is still short of what the new bases offer in terms of exacting correctness.

*Also, the example Cuda1 posted is a bit deceptive as it looks gold....It isn't, either the camera flash made it look lighter than it is, or it's just faded to a lighter shade with age, they were darker when new, not black, just a dark brownish color

Page 2 of 2 1 2