B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Quote:

When I bought the cam Scott was providing tons of cams for members here with great results. Over all I am very happy with the cam. It replaced the Indy R2 cam that I had in it that was a valve train killer! Car ran better also.

I have now had the chance to deal with Dwayne on a bunch of stuff and I would not hesitate to go with a cam that he spec'd.

We will see. Cams are like women. Everyone likes em a little different

I pulled out a Dwayne cam, Scott knew exactly what it was, and my motor very well. Put in his 112 cam( told him it would slow it down), but tried it anyhow..and car never again with that cam ran within 1.5 tenths of the cam Dwayne did up. Scott likes 112 for pretty much everything, it killed my 60 foot, but mph was almost identical...
I know other guys who's cams didn't work either....
when Best Machine built a new stouter motor for me than the above one, they wanted to use a Scott Brown cam. I insisted I wanted to use a cam Dwayne specced, so we did, after Best was convinced by Dwayne why he did what he did. The new owner of the car ramped the build up even further and had Dwayne do that one as well. He told me the cams Best uses now for stout Indy head smallblock stuff are now similar to what Dwayne likes, after seeing the power and ET. Got to give them credit for looking at everything and adapting, mark of good engine builders.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Made changes! No Faster! Me Confused ??? [Re: B3422W5] #1638075
07/03/14 01:12 AM
07/03/14 01:12 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Please find attached a copy of the cam card.

Hardcore - I am in total agreement with you! I was not expecting anything from the head change. I had this exact conversation with Dwayne Porter when I ordered the heads. Neither one of us thought they would make much of a difference. My SR's flowed awesome but they leaked everywhere. Dwayne's prediction was that the car would not ET any quicker but it may MPH a little quicker. He proved to be correct.

Monty - I will check my play back tach. I made a couple quick hits at the last race and then it went in the trailer.

Lance - I may take you up on that. But I will buy it! I don't have much luck with borrowed stuff

Not to pile on....but I definitely would have had Dwayne do up a cam for you, not Scott Brown...

That's not really fair to Scott. That's twice you have thrown him under the bus, because you got one that didn't work out. As good as he is, I doubt EVERY cam Dewayne Porter has ever speced out was perfect. Scott sells a LOT of cams and the engines he does make very good power for what they are.........Myself, I have probably gotten 20+ cams from Scott just THIS YEAR. Waiting on 4 right now. They work for me, VERY well.

Monte

Re: Made changes! No Faster! Me Confused ??? [Re: B3422W5] #1638076
07/03/14 01:22 AM
07/03/14 01:22 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

When I bought the cam Scott was providing tons of cams for members here with great results. Over all I am very happy with the cam. It replaced the Indy R2 cam that I had in it that was a valve train killer! Car ran better also.

I have now had the chance to deal with Dwayne on a bunch of stuff and I would not hesitate to go with a cam that he spec'd.

I pulled out a Dwayne cam, Scott knew exactly what it was, and my motor very well. Put in his 112 cam( told him it would slow it down), but tried it anyhow..and car never again with that cam ran within 1.5 tenths of the cam Dwayne did up. Scott likes 112 for pretty much everything, it killed my 60 foot, but mph was almost identical...
when Best Machine built a new stouter motor for me than the above one, they wanted to use a Scott Brown cam. I insisted I wanted to use a cam Dwayne specced, so we did, after Best was convinced by Dwayne why he did what he did. The new owner of the car ramped the build up even further and had Dwayne do that one as well. He told me the cams Best uses now for stout Indy head smallblock stuff are now similar to what Dwayne likes, after seeing the power and ET. Got to give them credit for looking at everything and adapting, mark of good engine builders.

You say the car didn't "work" yet it ran nearly the identical MPH according to you. So they obviously made near the same power, just maybe not in the same place. Maybe the other cam needed a converter change to get the benefit of the other cam.

And also, you "knew" it wasn't going to work when you put it in there, so maybe you didn't do everything possible to "make" it work.

Not really trying to bust your chops here, but it seems you are being pretty hard on Scott to me. Ok, his idea didn't work for YOU, but not fair to suggest he doesn't know what he is doing.

Monte

Re: Made changes! No Faster! Me Confused ??? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1638077
07/03/14 03:03 AM
07/03/14 03:03 AM
Alberta, Canada
451Guy Offline OP
mopar
451Guy  Offline OP
mopar

Alberta, Canada
Personally I like my Scott Brown cam. I liked it so much I put one in my street car too. That does not mean I would not try one from Dwayne or another manufacturer " in the name of Hot rodding" but all in all I was very happy with both his service and his product.

Last edited by 451Guy; 07/03/14 03:06 AM.
Re: Made changes! No Faster! Me Confused ??? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1638078
07/03/14 09:48 AM
07/03/14 09:48 AM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You say the car didn't "work" yet it ran nearly the identical MPH according to you. So they obviously made near the same power, just maybe not in the same place. Maybe the other cam needed a converter change to get the benefit of the other cam.

And also, you "knew" it wasn't going to work when you put it in there, so maybe you didn't do everything possible to "make" it work.

Not really trying to bust your chops here, but it seems you are being pretty hard on Scott to me. Ok, his idea didn't work for YOU, but not fair to suggest he doesn't know what he is doing.

Monte

I "always" try hard to make anything I have ever run, to be as fast as it can be, including the cam Scott specced out... Think I liked my car running like a dog?
I have never seen( to my knowledge) the guy ever recommend anything narrower than a 112 LSA cam. My combo at that time was heavy(3400 pounds) and didn't have a lot of compression( 11.5).... I figured the wider LSA would bleed off some compression, and move the power and up somewhat.
It effectively killed the car's 60 foot, and despite the cam doing a good job regards shift recovery, it couldn't offset the losses in 60 foot and early in the run.
It was a POOR cam for my application.
It's obvious 112 LSA stuff doesn't work for everything. If it did lower compression stockers and superstockers wouldn't use 106 and even narrower LSA cams to bring in torque sooner, and in dealing with challenged heads.
The opinion I expressed was based on my on track testing, and isn't " throwing under the bus" anybody.
If his lousy 112 cam had made my well scienced out combo run better, I would commend him.
Dwayne's stuff has always met or exceeded the expectations I have had. Scott's didn't.
I don't care if you have used 10,000 of his cams, what I used from him was a dog.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Made changes! No Faster! Me Confused ??? [Re: B3422W5] #1638079
07/04/14 01:47 AM
07/04/14 01:47 AM
Memphis TN
B
B1HEAD_USER Offline
enthusiast
B1HEAD_USER  Offline
enthusiast
B

Memphis TN
The roller I bought from him is ground on 108 lsa and installed at 104 icl. I have been very happy with it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3