05/20/14 01:47 PM
05/20/14 01:47 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
FYI we have run Index stuff as well and won. It IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, despite what some might think.

@Monte AMEN!!!!

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Air or electric?? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1621145
05/20/14 03:44 PM
05/20/14 03:44 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline OP
master
Jeepmon  Offline OP
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Thanks everyone for contributing to my education.. It seems if you want to move up in the drag racing world, delay boxes, auto shifters and throttle stops will be required and so... I've started my learnin on these now..

I have a PPP shifter, so I will simply order their auto shifter kit.. however I do have one more question about the throttle stop..

How important is disc style throttle stop compared to the standard blade type? The disc type sounds like its more adjustable, but is also twice the price..

Thanks

Re: Air or electric?? [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1621146
05/20/14 04:31 PM
05/20/14 04:31 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

OK I hear about the electric solenoid spiking on the electric shift noids.Now that sounds believeable,so is that the reason for using air??
If so then tell me the name of the air shifter you are using that does not have to be hook to anything electrical in the car..because if it hooks to anything electrical in the car its going to still spike the electrical system and take current from the battery.That is the reason I brought a air shifter the 1st thinking it would take no current from the battery,imagine my surprise when I found out it had to be hooked to a 12 volt positive source,that would draw current from the battery and the daymn thing always leaked air always.If you like getting to the track and no air in your bottle or making a run and it does not shift because it is out of air and cost's you a round win and like having to carry a spare bottle around then buy you a air system.If you like never having to carry a extra bottle and never having to worry about turning it on or off or being out of air then buy the electric. It's plain & simple AIR LEAKS!

It is about the AMPS the apparatus draws. While some may draw less, the solenoid WE had, drew a huge amount of amps at the shift and made a serious spike in the Racepak voltage trace. Being a nitrous car, I want NO spikes in the voltage trace that can upset timers, ign, etc. We went to a PPP shifter with their air option. The regulator/solenoid assy that operates the cylinder is tiny, draws few amps and puts NO spike in the logger voltage trace.........Not to mention it is ultra light as compared to the electric setup and looks cleaner. Also, ours is plumbed with #3 braided lines, instead of plastic and push lock. Our nitrous system doesn't leak, so neither does our shifter. Just because YOUR air system leaked, does NOT mean they all do.

Monte

Re: Air or electric?? [Re: Jeepmon] #1621147
05/20/14 06:27 PM
05/20/14 06:27 PM
Oregon
sg66mopar Offline
pro stock
sg66mopar  Offline
pro stock

Oregon
Don, I got a lot of negative feedback about the disc style when I was shopping. I went with the 1 Stop and a 1" machined spacer from Stinnett.

I think the stop slowed my car about .100 and maybe 1-2 mph in the quarter, compared to a 2" open spacer. I believe it's deadly consistent and VERY adjustable.

Re: Air or electric?? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1621148
05/20/14 07:01 PM
05/20/14 07:01 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

FYI we have run Index stuff as well and won. It IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, despite what some might think.

@Monte AMEN!!!!

I was saying you get to run a throttle stop on a much slower car and they do not allow us to run a throttle stop.I agree a throttle stop is not Rocket Science it would be much easier to run the index if they would allow us to use one.

Now back to the subject at hand AIR LEAKS,we run our NOS with NOS only because we can not to it electrical.

PS I am not saying the NOS leaks...those are Grudge Race Cars and have Purge Buttons! Grudge Racers + Purge Buttons = unknown answers

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 05/20/14 07:41 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3