Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild

that's great customer service from Peter...not.

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: ThermoQuad] #1613740
09/22/14 09:49 AM
09/22/14 09:49 AM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

I have had numerous discussions and email exchanges with Peter Bergman,,he blows me off telling me that alignment guy(25 years experience in a very respected high line racing suspension shop) does not know what he is doing. I have asked Peter to speak with him. He refuses to do so. I did purchase box, coupler and adapter from Peter.

not going to stay in business very long treating customers like that. sounds like the same attitude problem he used to post here with while working for XV. ya see how long those clowns stayed in business.

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: cogen80] #1613741
09/22/14 10:22 AM
09/22/14 10:22 AM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Wow sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like the only option is to send it back..... or scrap it and go back to the FF box.
Thanks to all for posting your experiences, it saves others major headaches. I was all set to buy one as the quicker ratio with the fast ratio arms was appealing to me. I'll stick with what I have for now. I wonder is there is enough material on the mounting plate to machine it for a better fit?

Last edited by brads70; 09/22/14 10:23 AM.
Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: ThermoQuad] #1613742
09/22/14 10:56 AM
09/22/14 10:56 AM
Iowa
J
jon01 Offline
mopar
jon01  Offline
mopar
J

Iowa
Quote:

that's great customer service from Peter...not.

This right here is why I walked away from buying one of his boxes.
Also, where has he been in this thread once the problems with his product started coming out of the woodwork?

68 Charger R/T - #'s matching car, 499/727/3.91
Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: brads70] #1613743
09/22/14 03:19 PM
09/22/14 03:19 PM
pgh pa
C
captaindodge Offline
enthusiast
captaindodge  Offline
enthusiast
C

pgh pa
Quote:

Dimensions are on page 1 of this post? I'm surprised Peter Bergman has not chimed in yet? He seems to have the most experience with these boxes?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=3&vc=1

As to the pitman arm issue.... what about machining/grinding a generous say 45 deg angle around the top side of the splines on the pitman arm. Thinking is this might allow the arm to install further up the shaft without weakening the pitman arm allowing the use of the locknut.

The most important dimension is missing! How far is it from the box mounting holes to the input shaft center line???

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1613744
09/22/14 11:20 PM
09/22/14 11:20 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
This is another photo of the angle change that shaft must make at coupler to accommodate Borgeson box.

8277991-image.jpg (364 downloads)
Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1613745
09/22/14 11:25 PM
09/22/14 11:25 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Well, there goes any hope for me to try to even attempt a Gen III Hemi swap with PS. Not worth the headache IMO.

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: MuuMuu101] #1613746
09/23/14 03:09 AM
09/23/14 03:09 AM
sandwich IL
sublimehemi Offline
enthusiast
sublimehemi  Offline
enthusiast

sandwich IL
ok guys i just finalized my install and just dropped my column in and it is strait as an arrow...no shims.. and i have aftermarket qa1 k frame...my car is a 70 charger....i also have several threads showing on my pitman arm and i use pro forged standard ratio pitman on small spline borg box....my coupler from bac auto worked out great..ty peter...i could not be happier...

70 charger ,all aluminum 528 hemi 727 cope rmvb,680hp 670 tq,full sequential holley hp efi,full hotchkis tvs,qa1 k and lowers,borgeson steering box cass viper 11.75 with cass s-trac dana 3.54
Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: sublimehemi] #1613747
09/23/14 10:32 AM
09/23/14 10:32 AM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
As usual on Moparts this has turned into s***fest.
The same members bash without knowing any of the facts of the situation. I do not manufacture this box, but since I sell it I must service the customer when there are issues.
Countless hours were spent with Roger (sxr) regarding his installation via cell phone, weekends etc. The end conclusion from 3,000 miles away was the option to take the box back to Borgeson. The box has a 3 year warranty so no issues there. However, since the installer NEVER called during the installation process to make a time consuming return process easier, the troubleshooting begins after the install is finished.
The second member here with a complaint called for suggestions. My suggestion was to use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to the factory spec (125 ft/lbs I believe) and let me know the results. I have seen stock boxes get loose many times because of this step being omitted. I never heard back.
It is apparent the haters on this board have not changed in the 10+ years of my membership here. Clearly, vendors stay away because of this. I am always easy to reach and offer as many solutions to problems as possible. If any of the haters want to call and ask questions, be my guest.

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1613748
09/23/14 05:31 PM
09/23/14 05:31 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
The Facts

The last quarter of 2013 I had transported the Challenger to a shop(E Bodies Only) in Madera, Ca., some 150 miles from my home to have the engine removed in order to install a roller cam and Edelbrock heads. Car has TTI headers and I felt easier to pull engine, additionally to do a full tear down inspection to do an spark plug oil fouling analyses.

While engine was out, felt was a good time to upgrade to a Borgeson steering box,,,I already owned one for our 71 Corvette, but had not yet installed.

Ordered steering box, coupler and hose adapter from Bergman after reading Mopar Action article. Ed, owner of E Bodies installed on K member and engine re-installed. He told me that I should have front end alignment done. He had no reason to call Bergman.

When I returned Challenger to my home near San Jose I took it to Borreli Motor Sports whom I feel are as good as it gets in suspension services.

http://borellimotorsports.com/newsite/

Dave, chief technician attempted to align front end and immediately noticed a potential problem that with wheels dead ahead that pitman arm was not pointed correctly.

At least 3 times he pulled pitman arm, turned steering wheel lock to lock, divided by 2 as noted in my earlier post,,,and insisted something was not right,,,could not toe car without running out of threads on tie rod, additionally taking steering box off top center too in order to get correct toe

I then called Borgeson. He spoke to a tech to no benefit except be told that he was doing something incorrect. He did set toe, drove car 3 different times, telling me that box was off top center and 1 tie rod was 1/2 inch or so longer than other and the consequences of each. I told him that I will discuss with Bergman and Borgeson, paid a 300 invoice and left.

Over seceding days I had several telephone conversations and email exchanges(I have copies of all) if anyone cares) with Peter and Borgeson. I requested in several of these exchanges that they have a 3 way 5 minute conference call with Dave of Borrelli,,,Dave was in agreement,,,,Bergman and Borgeson refused,,,assuming I would guess that he was unqualified and any issues was his error.

Peter suggests that I now remove box and send to Borgeson for analyses,,,of course car is down for several weeks. Even this offer was never made earlier on as it was his and Borgesons opinion that this was all user error.

Reminds me of what was somewhat common knowledge in my many year career in the large scale IBM mainframe world. "It is not a recognized IBM bug until every user has reported it twice".

Some months back I had several more conversations with Borgeson. They by now had come to the conclusion that what I was experiencing was possibly their problem. I asked that they send me a replacement box,,,as noted earlier I volunteered to provide a CC deposit. Instead they told me to buy a new box and send in the faulty one and if returned box was faulty, they would return cash expended on the replacement.

Naturally if they 'determine' not their box at fault, I am out another 800 dollars in addition to all other money's I have expended,,,plus the months of aggravation this experience has cost.

There is likely not a member of this forum that had not gone thru the exact same experiences with poorly, manufactured by the lowest bidder stuff that is marketed and sold as of the finest quality. And of course each and every time it occurs it is often the end user or the shop that installed it that absorbs the often very large cash outlays that must be expended to resolve.

Additionally often be the target of barbs that we are a bunch of malcontents.

I would also suggest that those vendors who may complain of their unruly customers who are at times unhappy with faulty products or services,,,they too are often on the receiving ends themselves,,,,think Comcast, Directv, the DMV or post office. We all only want the products and services we paid our hard earned moneys for.

Many successful companies have figured this all out,,,not only they but their customers have greatly benefited.

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1613749
09/23/14 06:14 PM
09/23/14 06:14 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Is it possible the center link is flipped? I'm not defending the Borgeson, just can't see how the box could be that far off unless the shaft was flat out indexed wrong during assembly. IIRC the shaft is cut with 4 master splines as well. Another thing I don't get is if your sure the box is defective, why the fear of sending it back?

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1613750
09/23/14 06:23 PM
09/23/14 06:23 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

The Facts

The last quarter of 2013 I had transported the Challenger to a shop(E Bodies Only) in Madera, Ca., some 150 miles from my home to have the engine removed in order to install a roller cam and Edelbrock heads. Car has TTI headers and I felt easier to pull engine, additionally to do a full tear down inspection to do an spark plug oil fouling analyses.

While engine was out, felt was a good time to upgrade to a Borgeson steering box,,,I already owned one for our 71 Corvette, but had not yet installed.

Ordered steering box, coupler and hose adapter from Bergman after reading Mopar Action article. Ed, owner of E Bodies installed on K member and engine re-installed. He told me that I should have front end alignment done. He had no reason to call Bergman.

When I returned Challenger to my home near San Jose I took it to Borreli Motor Sports whom I feel are as good as it gets in suspension services.

http://borellimotorsports.com/newsite/

Dave, chief technician attempted to align front end and immediately noticed a potential problem that with wheels dead ahead that pitman arm was not pointed correctly.

At least 3 times he pulled pitman arm, turned steering wheel lock to lock, divided by 2 as noted in my earlier post,,,and insisted something was not right,,,could not toe car without running out of threads on tie rod, additionally taking steering box off top center too in order to get correct toe

I then called Borgeson. He spoke to a tech to no benefit except be told that he was doing something incorrect. He did set toe, drove car 3 different times, telling me that box was off top center and 1 tie rod was 1/2 inch or so longer than other and the consequences of each. I told him that I will discuss with Bergman and Borgeson, paid a 300 invoice and left.

Over seceding days I had several telephone conversations and email exchanges(I have copies of all) if anyone cares) with Peter and Borgeson. I requested in several of these exchanges that they have a 3 way 5 minute conference call with Dave of Borrelli,,,Dave was in agreement,,,,Bergman and Borgeson refused,,,assuming I would guess that he was unqualified and any issues was his error.

Peter suggests that I now remove box and send to Borgeson for analyses,,,of course car is down for several weeks. Even this offer was never made earlier on as it was his and Borgesons opinion that this was all user error.

Reminds me of what was somewhat common knowledge in my many year career in the large scale IBM mainframe world. "It is not a recognized IBM bug until every user has reported it twice".

Some months back I had several more conversations with Borgeson. They by now had come to the conclusion that what I was experiencing was possibly their problem. I asked that they send me a replacement box,,,as noted earlier I volunteered to provide a CC deposit. Instead they told me to buy a new box and send in the faulty one and if returned box was faulty, they would return cash expended on the replacement.

Naturally if they 'determine' not their box at fault, I am out another 800 dollars in addition to all other money's I have expended,,,plus the months of aggravation this experience has cost.

There is likely not a member of this forum that had not gone thru the exact same experiences with poorly, manufactured by the lowest bidder stuff that is marketed and sold as of the finest quality. And of course each and every time it occurs it is often the end user or the shop that installed it that absorbs the often very large cash outlays that must be expended to resolve.

Additionally often be the target of barbs that we are a bunch of malcontents.

I would also suggest that those vendors who may complain of their unruly customers who are at times unhappy with faulty products or services,,,they too are often on the receiving ends themselves,,,,think Comcast, Directv, the DMV or post office. We all only want the products and services we paid our hard earned moneys for.

Many successful companies have figured this all out,,,not only they but their customers have greatly benefited.

Seems like a very competent shop you had do the alignment.

They (Borgenson) can't fix your box unless they have it.

Sounds like you wanted/implied-for a new box sent out to swap your old one, then send you old one back so you had no down time??

Last edited by autoxcuda; 09/23/14 07:20 PM.
Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: 72Swinger] #1613751
09/23/14 06:33 PM
09/23/14 06:33 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Is it possible the center link is flipped? I'm not defending the Borgeson, just can't see how the box could be that far off unless the shaft was flat out indexed wrong during assembly. IIRC the shaft is cut with 4 master splines as well. Another thing I don't get is if your sure the box is defective, why the fear of sending it back?

Bummer they didn't cut the output shaft without the master splines. Then you could move it to where you want.

But then you will have install problems with people putting the pitman in the wrong spot. Catch 22.

A little off topic...Bummer with Chrysler output shafts is they don't have a defined ridge for the pitman to clamp against. Instead they just rely on the taper of the splines for the pitman to wedge against. That's a tougher replicate and doesn't allow for much precision. But it's cheaper to make originally.

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: 72Swinger] #1613752
09/23/14 10:19 PM
09/23/14 10:19 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Quote:

Center link is not flipped. As noted earlier, replaced FF box aligned well with no issues.

I do not wish to remove and send back and leave car torn down in the garage for several weeks awaiting a replacement.

Do not wish to have faulty box(if truly so) repaired. Any repair would likely require a re-welding. Some folks have even expressed alarm of any welding on a steering box, as it done to adapt these boxes to differing autos.

I do not wish to put out the cash for another box and own two of them. I have already put out at least 1,300 dollars(including labor). Do not want to have 2,000 dollars into a replacement for FF box that I had budgeted for 1,000 dollars.

I believe that if the supplier is at error(which is still an open question,,,this is the purpose of my posting,,,to determine if any other cause could be the problem,,,the reason that I had asked that Borgeson, Bergman, and my technician engage in a conference call), that the the supplier accommodate my request to forward a replacement box with me providing a CC number as a deposit to ensure return of likely at this time defective box.

In the American way, seems a good compromise if supplier screw up, not user error.

So far I have heard nothing that can argue with the photos that I have submitted to suggest other than a box out of spec,,,but as noted earlier on in suspensions, my expertise is limited.

The truth be known however as I do not completely trust the car's steering, I will likely be forced to buy another box and hope for the best on a fair analyses by Borgeson on the one I return and a proper refund.

It will be interesting to 'jig' both boxes up side by side to see how they compare.

As an aside, I do see references in other postings of 'shimming' of boxes. Does this mean what I think that it does,,,shimming the box to accommodate out of kilter boxes, or is for out of kilter 'K' members?

It has been suggested that pitman shaft mis-machined. This was my initial thought,,,see my first post on this thread. However when pulling steering shaft to replace ignition switch, I had paid particular note to the angle the shaft makes going into the coupler, hence the photos and new theory.

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 09/23/14 10:37 PM.
Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1613753
09/24/14 12:33 AM
09/24/14 12:33 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline OP
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline OP
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

As an aside, I do see references in other postings of 'shimming' of boxes. Does this mean what I think that it does,,,shimming the box to accommodate out of kilter boxes, or is for out of kilter 'K' members?

It is a production error with the boxes, not the K frames. Earlier in this thread you'll note we throw a stock box back in and everything lines up. We ended up shimming ours with a couple Williams washers.

Also of note, I believe Firm Feel can make an "unkeyed" pitman, or you can meticulously grind the larger key ways out of a standard pitman to make it infinitely adjustable.

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1613754
09/24/14 05:40 AM
09/24/14 05:40 AM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
On another note, with my '73 Dart I had to shim the factory stock powersteering-box down so the pitman-arm grease zerk stopped gouching the torsion bar.
The Borgeson box however did not require this modification.

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1613755
09/25/14 03:58 AM
09/25/14 03:58 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

It is a production error with the boxes, not the K frames. Earlier in this thread you'll note we throw a stock box back in and everything lines up. We ended up shimming ours with a couple Williams washers.

Also of note, I believe Firm Feel can make an "unkeyed" pitman, or you can meticulously grind the larger key ways out of a standard pitman to make it infinitely adjustable.

A very smart dude saw this thread and noted to me that there are 36 splines on the output shaft. So each spline move the arm a whole 10 degrees. Well if the pitman is about 8", each spline move the end of the pitman and tie rods about 1.4". That's quite a bit of movement. Not exactly "fine" tuning.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 10/04/14 05:00 AM.
Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: autoxcuda] #1613756
10/01/14 01:49 PM
10/01/14 01:49 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
I have now ordered and paid up for a replacement steering box. 750 dollars plus shipping. Will post outcome once installed.

Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1613757
10/04/14 04:02 AM
10/04/14 04:02 AM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
Quote:

I have now ordered and paid up for a replacement steering box. 750 dollars plus shipping. Will post outcome once installed.

Roger(Sxrxrnr) is one of the most tenacious men I have had the pleasure of meeting, He won't quite until it is right!

After that, maybe I can even get him to give my old Mopars a run or two. I'll let him pick which car he wants to compete against, but a few runs against both of them would even be more fun.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: Borgeson / Pitman Fitment Issue [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1613758
12/04/14 02:58 PM
12/04/14 02:58 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

any updates on this?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6