A
AdamR Offline
master
AdamR  Offline
master
A

Bethel Ct
Quote:

I was thinking about this topic yesterday so interesting to see it here today.

I can see where larger shops would be more inclined to keep pricing higher but what about the the "1 Man Show". The guy who does this and is really good but only does 1 or 2 cars at one time?

I do think you might be able to find good Bodywork guys that might want to make some extra on the side and would do the bodywork on your car at a reduced rate.

Just thoughts for discussion.

Joe

Were 2 guys but were probably pretty cheap all readu compared to other shops.

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current eco [Re: 340dart4spd ] #160978
12/05/08 10:12 PM
12/05/08 10:12 PM
Bethel Ct
A
AdamR Offline
master
AdamR  Offline
master
A

Bethel Ct
Quote:

forget about Labor Cost....

Have you priced Automotive Paint and Supply's???

ridiculous isnt it. 3 quarts of toner cost us $500 the other day.

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: Redbird] #160979
12/06/08 12:58 AM
12/06/08 12:58 AM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Quote:

If you want a reference point of current trends for car prices, look at auction bids lately. I encourage those that believe prices will stay high to start high end restorations today, the national economy will thank you. Please stay on your meds.

+1

let me just say, when brand new $42k 09 Pontiac G8 can be bought for $22k or 09 Pontiac G6 for $9k,one can't help but wonder how stable the economy really is,

and yes, I can buy theese cars right next door to my shop

also it doesn't matter how good you are, if there are no people to spend money in your area, you can't sit on your [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] and dream , you go in survival mode and hope and pray this tough time will pass any day, but you can only survive on your savings for so long,

I actually haven't had any real work come in for almost 3 months, had to let couple of my guys go,since there is no work, I can't keep them around,

so anyone that is running a real full time shop, not some part-time hobby need to wake up,and check that waiting list,I guarantee you in few months you'll have no list,I don't care how good you are,

Stefan @ Elite Custom Body

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: elitecustombody] #160980
12/06/08 11:28 AM
12/06/08 11:28 AM
Near Reading PA USA
pinkduster Offline
master
pinkduster  Offline
master

Near Reading PA USA
Quote:

forget about Labor Cost....

Have you priced Automotive Paint and Supply's???

Yeah really! $504 for a gallon of basecoat for my car. It's crazy, I just laugh when I have to write the checks, because it's all you can do. Amazing how a gallon of paint for your house is about $20.... I know, I know it's two totally different things.

Slightly off topic...
Not in the restoration biz, but the auto body repair biz...

My neighbor has a small collision repair shop. He has just ran out of work, nothing in waiting (but still refuses to work on an old car). One of his best friends (and mine) is the local Sherman Williams paint rep. I made the comment that the economy shouldn't effect collision repair and autobody supply shops because people will still get in accidents and need to have their cars repaired. They both said that I was wrong because people that have only minor damage (car still runs and drives) AREN'T getting their cars repaired because they can't afford, or don't have the money to pay their deductables. And this must be true, because the huge collision shop a couple miles down the road has a sign that says something like, "We'll pay $250 towards your deductable."

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: pinkduster] #160981
12/06/08 11:59 AM
12/06/08 11:59 AM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

I'm really dumb here so please explain how everybody is saying the ECONOMY has affected these things????

Unless you or your spouse has lost thier job or taking a major paycut, everything should be the same should it not?
Ok...so gas prices have gone up and come back down, maybe your taxes have gone up, etc.... but why would you drive around in a smashed up car? Because you can't afford the deductable? that doesn't really make sense does it?
What has change in the ECONOMY that now you can't afford your deductable....I don't get it

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: anlauto] #160982
12/06/08 12:20 PM
12/06/08 12:20 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Quote:

I'm really dumb here so please explain how everybody is saying the ECONOMY has affected these things????

Unless you or your spouse has lost thier job or taking a major paycut, everything should be the same should it not?
Ok...so gas prices have gone up and come back down, maybe your taxes have gone up, etc.... but why would you drive around in a smashed up car? Because you can't afford the deductable? that doesn't really make sense does it?
What has change in the ECONOMY that now you can't afford your deductable....I don't get it

In large part the problem is psychological. Those whose incomes have not been affected are scared to death to spend money--right or wrong. Also, don't forget that even those who still have the same income likely do NOT have the same asset sheet in terms of equity in home or stocks.

Nobody feels comfortable spending money

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #160983
12/06/08 01:50 PM
12/06/08 01:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

most body shops over charge the work they do anyways so belive me just wait and youll find the right guy to do the same job for a lot less, there out there its a big country!!!

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #160984
12/06/08 02:05 PM
12/06/08 02:05 PM
Near Reading PA USA
pinkduster Offline
master
pinkduster  Offline
master

Near Reading PA USA
Quote:

Alan, I hear you. People like us are lucky. My wife and I both have decent jobs. But there are plenty of people out there that have lost their jobs. I lost mine about a year ago. Unemployment is a scary thing. I was lucky to get a job in the same field making MORE money than I did before. I was unemployeed for about three weeks. You have to go one full week here before you can collect unemployment benefits (checks). So you lose one week worth of pay to start. Then the checks were $600 a month LESS than what I brought home from my job. This would put some people in financial ruin in about a month because most people (not me) live paycheck to paycheck. That being said, I can EASILY see how someone might get into a little fender bender and not have the money to pay their deductable. Aren't most deductables like $500-$1000 now?

There are plenty of people at my old job that are still laid off. It's just a matter of time before their benefits run out. These are the kind of people that don't have an extra $500 laying around to pay a deductable.

People with good jobs are very lucky. I'm thankful every day.

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: elitecustombody] #160985
12/06/08 07:26 PM
12/06/08 07:26 PM
Pennsylvania
A
A0M397X Offline
mopar
A0M397X  Offline
mopar
A

Pennsylvania
Quote:

Quote:

If you want a reference point of current trends for car prices, look at auction bids lately. I encourage those that believe prices will stay high to start high end restorations today, the national economy will thank you. Please stay on your meds.

+1

let me just say, when brand new $42k 09 Pontiac G8 can be bought for $22k or 09 Pontiac G6 for $9k,one can't help but wonder how stable the economy really is,

also it doesn't matter how good you are, if there are no people to spend money in your area, you can't sit on your [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] and dream , you go in survival mode and hope and pray this tough time will pass any day, but you can only survive on your savings for so long,

I actually haven't had any real work come in for almost 3 months, had to let couple of my guys go,since there is no work, I can't keep them around,

so anyone that is running a real full time shop, not some part-time hobby need to wake up,and check that waiting list,I guarantee you in few months you'll have no list,I don't care how good you are,

This guy is dead on. The bad times haven't even started yet. Wait till spring/summer 2009 and lets see how busy everybody is. Restoring cars is a discretionary expense and when things really start to crash, restorations will be the last thing on most peoples minds.

No TV Party Tonight
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: A34] #160986
12/06/08 08:39 PM
12/06/08 08:39 PM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
IMHO the cost of a restoration is too often based on the value of the car being restored and this is just wrong! I wouldn't even consider using a shop like this! Body work is body work, paint is paint and materials are Materials! I have my guys and as long and they are doing cars they will do anything I have! Everything is the same price to them a Hemi Cuda costs no more than a 65 Mustang coupe to restore! I love them!!
KID

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: Kidsixpack] #160987
12/06/08 08:51 PM
12/06/08 08:51 PM
God's Country - Etowah, TN.
A34 Offline OP
top fuel
A34  Offline OP
top fuel

God's Country - Etowah, TN.
Good comments guys. I'm forwarding the post to my buddy to look at.

I sure hope the economy doesn't get worse for everyone's sake.

Let me be the first to say, Merry Christmas Y'all. I love this site.

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !

DEO VINDICE
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: A34] #160988
12/06/08 09:07 PM
12/06/08 09:07 PM
San Jose, California
D
DennisH Offline
Vacation
DennisH  Offline
Vacation
D

San Jose, California
I'll second the whacky part.

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: A34] #160989
12/06/08 11:26 PM
12/06/08 11:26 PM
U.S.A.
C
Captain Flapjack Offline
mopar
Captain Flapjack  Offline
mopar
C

U.S.A.
look at how many resto shops advetise in mcg compared to 7 years ago

many jumped on the band wagon, some have been around for awhile

there arent as many cars worth more than 150k as there were 2 years ago

so there are that less many car owners will to give resto shops the standard $80,000 to $100,000 for complete rotissorie restos

its not that all of them were building the cars with the thought of resale, but if you can now buy a 70 hemi cuda for around 160k, why buy a project for 50k + put 100k in it + go thru all of the drama involved with a restoration

most of the cars that were selling for over 150k are selling if + when they do sell for half or less on some of the higher prices cars

you used to hear of high end cars being sold after the sale, now all you do is hear of them available + not being sold

71 hemi cuda were the leader of the pack,
some hardtops had sold for close to a million bucks

i know of a bunch that have sold in the $300k range,

at the vegas bj auction in october, a 71 6pak cuda factory show car, curious yellow with all of the cool appearance options sold for just over $100k,
2 years ago that would have sold for close to $300k

so with the drop in values there have to be alot less guys willing to pump that kind of $$ into cars if it doesnt make dollars + sense

my

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: anlauto] #160990
12/15/08 07:57 PM
12/15/08 07:57 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Pretty simple, everybody has been squeezed so long they have nothing left in the kitty. Have you been to a grocery lately. You HAVE to go there and those costs are stupid high.

I want my fair share
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: SomeCarGuy] #160991
12/15/08 08:26 PM
12/15/08 08:26 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Pretty simple, everybody has been squeezed so long they have nothing left in the kitty. Have you been to a grocery lately. You HAVE to go there and those costs are stupid high.

Yep...There on Saturday..$257...family of 4..

What I meant is, if both people are working still then what has changed? groceries haven't gone up THAT much

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: anlauto] #160992
12/16/08 09:32 AM
12/16/08 09:32 AM
Bethel Ct
A
AdamR Offline
master
AdamR  Offline
master
A

Bethel Ct
Quote:

groceries haven't gone up THAT much

Thats because some companies reduced the ammount in the pkg instead of raising the price.

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current eco [Re: AdamR] #160993
12/16/08 10:06 PM
12/16/08 10:06 PM
Kentucky
S
Sasquatch4406 Offline
pro stock
Sasquatch4406  Offline
pro stock
S

Kentucky
we do collision repair and sometimes restoration work, and even in this bad time cars just keep pileing in. we are over booked, and we need to hire another bodyman.

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current eco [Re: Sasquatch4406] #160994
12/20/08 09:03 AM
12/20/08 09:03 AM
DFW
68RRFlyer Offline
mopar
68RRFlyer  Offline
mopar

DFW
I just opened up my part time shop two months ago and have one full car (68 Charger R/T) restoration going through, two complete floor replacement jobs progressing, and after those leave I have a 69 Super Bee coming into the shop in March with a 67 GTO possibly behind that! That books me up until June until I can take another car on, unless I don't get another Mopar and have to take the GTO on . My labor rate is the same regardless if it's a Hemi Cuda or a 4cyl MG. I'm also not reducing my rate. I feel I give a quality product and I'm not giving "deals" just to get more business. It's all been word of mouth so far and I think that's the best type. With the economy the way it is, it's mainly dependent on where you are geographically on how it's affecting the businesses around you. I'm in Houston, and there's a lot of everything down here so a burst in one sector wouldn't cause as much of a meltdown as it would a smaller town that thrives on just one industry. Just my

Cheers

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: A0M397X] #160995
12/20/08 11:16 AM
12/20/08 11:16 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

+1

This guy is dead on. The bad times haven't even started yet. Wait till spring/summer 2009 and lets see how busy everybody is. Restoring cars is a discretionary expense and when things really start to crash, restorations will be the last thing on most peoples minds.

I disagree. The top 1 to 5% will ALWAYS be there and they spend a VERY dispropotionate amount of $ then us working stiffs. I'm lucky to have busted my hump and live in the working class part of a wealthy neighborhood with the truly wealthy (but these types of people/neighborhoods are EVERYWHERE). The spending just doesn't slow down at all! I even heard a dad on my sons hockey team, last name Buel (SP?) - his brother is racer Robbie Buel, lives in about a $2M house and was talking about anothet dad on the team "that has REAL money" These guys have FLEETS of classic cars! I know and have met 4 guys that HUGE industrial buildings FULL of millions of dollars of cars! In fact I work for one. JUST in this past year he bought a new 500GT KR, a 500GT and a 2004? Bullet Mustang along with a new GMC truck and a top of the line Land Rover and a condo in Chicago, Parkview, prices range from $350K to $850K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottomline these 4 guys I know/met spend as much as a small city of us car guys. And the GOOD resto guys will stay busy with clientle who have deep pockets like this.

The high end resto guys I know and deal with are BUSY. Even here in MI. My brother in laws friend went on his own. He worked for and does very high end, custom stuff. He was showing one rich customers $300K 69 Camaro at SEMA. It was actually not that impressive. Plain on the outside, Corvette door handles, rear suspension and motor. saidf now that they are done with that one the guy is already have a designer draw up something new. YES. They pay thousands to have well known, Foose like guys, sketch/concept thier next toy cars

Re: Wacky question - cost of restoration in current economy [Re: Kidsixpack] #160996
12/20/08 01:15 PM
12/20/08 01:15 PM
Fairfield, Ohio
holtzdog55 Offline
mopar
holtzdog55  Offline
mopar

Fairfield, Ohio
Quote:

IMHO the cost of a restoration is too often based on the value of the car being restored and this is just wrong! I wouldn't even consider using a shop like this! Body work is body work, paint is paint and materials are Materials! I have my guys and as long and they are doing cars they will do anything I have! Everything is the same price to them a Hemi Cuda costs no more than a 65 Mustang coupe to restore! I love them!!
KID

I have a car being restored....lost my job but still have some cash to put towards it, the car,72 Challenger(nothing special originally a 318 car), my problem is the guys I get to work on it either do really lousy work that has to be redone by another or that it takes too long to get the work done.....is there anyone out there that will work for a fair price? get the job done in a timely manner? and do a good job....dont need show quality job just a GOOD DRIVER QUALITY CAR when completed.....
What are reasonable rates to restore a NICE DRIVER 72 Challenger???

Thanks

By The Way.....car is in PA. about 30 miles from Carlisle....

4890763-new1.jpg (33 downloads)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3