ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline OP
top fuel
moretoys  Offline OP
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
Weather finally let me get some work done. and I was tired of how it felt and was feeling confident.(my first trans repair) Been driving around for about 3 weeks now and The problem is about 90% gone. The only thing that isn't right is lock up in 3rd. from what I remember and The the service manual confirmed it, supposed to only lock up in 3rd if O.D. is off. This lockups all the time in 3rd, so it feels like it is shifting 6 times.unlocks going into O.D then locks up again (lock up in 3rd, then in O.D)

Here is what I did. I still have not gotten a check engine light, but I scanned it first anyway NO codes. Then I proceeded.
1) dropped the transmission pan, nothing abnormal sitting in the pan,Fluid not burnt. then:
2) dropped the valve body and replaced all the electronics. The overdrive/converter clutch solenoid assy, governor pressure sensor,and governor solenoid. also checked for anything broken, dirty or out of adjustment. NO other problem found.
3) replaced the 3-4 accumulator spring ( I was told they break often) mine was fine, but for $3.00 I wasn't gonna take a chance.
4) Adjusted both bands
5) drilled the boost vale plate hole 1 size bigger ( there is a tsb about replacing this because of the hole size), dealer couldn't get one quickly so I just drilled it as close as I could. about 1/16th of an inch.

replaced shift seal while I was there, and my leak is gone now too. I have a reusable gasket, so that didn't change.
So far thing are OK.

Re: 46re trans surge / lock up problems?? Update [Re: moretoys] #1808179
04/20/15 11:06 PM
04/20/15 11:06 PM
ky.
K
kenworth_goose Offline
top fuel
kenworth_goose  Offline
top fuel
K

ky.
While chasing my misfire I found a lockup code, less than 1 week later I had to rebuild trans. convertor clutch let go. I also had an erratic convertor lockup for a few months before it let go. Do yourself a big favor, rebuild trans now and get a new convertor.

Page 2 of 2 1 2