03/22/14 11:36 PM
03/22/14 11:36 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
I would get the new valves and lap them in just to check the valve job and if they look good I would run them.I would also just use the stock stamped rockers unless your running some seriously stiff valve springs.
Just my
Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593758
03/22/14 11:53 PM
03/22/14 11:53 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

What would you do?

I would take the heads in to a trusted shop & get em checked out then post (here) what they say was wrong/how much they want to get em right then you'll be in a much better position to make an informed decision & you'll only be out what they charge you to evaluate them

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593759
03/23/14 12:04 AM
03/23/14 12:04 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Are the aluminum heads really worth the effort? Considering the cam I have and the set of J smog heads I have, would I be better off using the iron heads? Am I really going to see that much difference in performance to justify spending at least another $1000 for new valves, adjustable rockers and pushrods? The more I think about it I am inclined to cut my losses with the aluminum heads and use the J heads. What would you do?

I would determine the actual compression ratio with both sets of heads, if it above 10.0 to 1 with the iron heads and close to the same with the aluminum heads I would run the aluminum ones I wouldn't run that much(10.0 to 1 or above) compression with pump gas with the iron heads

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Cab_Burge] #1593760
03/23/14 02:14 PM
03/23/14 02:14 PM
ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline
top fuel
moretoys  Offline
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
If you have the money, the performance you'll get from the aluminum heads is far better than the iron heads will give you. The aluminum will be less likely to produce spark knock,
My thoughts on the valve tip broken is it happened at the machine shop. probably didn't have the tool centered and it caught the end of the valve, they usually have pneumatic spring compressor, I have used 273 adj rockers on a hydraulic cam 340 with off the shelf standard length pushrods. There is some valve train noise,you just hear things moving,probably 15,000 miles on the build so far. it will be hard to get a quiet, factory like noise level. expect some noise.

I think a new set of valves,lap them in, good to go.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: moretoys] #1593761
03/23/14 05:36 PM
03/23/14 05:36 PM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
I go the heads off today. Took a little work getting the intake off. I really had that sucker sealed. Everything looks good with the cam. Tops of pistons look fine too. All the lifters are fine. I think it was just that one valve. I wonder if the previous owner didn't glue the damn thing on before he shipped the heads. Anyhow, I am going to redo the heads and hopefully have it all back together in a week or two. A shout out to Doug's headers. I installed mine while I had the K member out so wasn't sure how easily they would be to install wight he motor in the car. If removing them was any indication, installing should be simple. Also, Bouchillon Performance for their AC compressor brackets. I was able to remove the intake and heads without removing the compressor. Save a bunch of time and effort.

That's King Weenie to you!
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593762
03/23/14 09:06 PM
03/23/14 09:06 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Quote:

Well..My gut was saying that I should replace all of them too. I can pick them all up at Summit for about $225. It will be worth the peace of mind. Is there a reason I should not replace the valves myself? I have done a couple many years ago. but never all of them and never on aluminum heads...Wouldn't think it would be that hard. Compress spring, remove locks and slide valve out...Reverse to install. Am I off base here?

valves need to be Fit to the guides and seats, IE: machined. Unless you want more problems than you've had so far

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: moretoys] #1593763
03/23/14 09:22 PM
03/23/14 09:22 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Quote:

I have used 273 adj rockers on a hydraulic cam 340 with off the shelf standard length pushrods. There is some valve train noise,you just hear things moving,probably 15,000 miles on the build so far. it will be hard to get a quiet, factory like noise level. expect some noise.

your noise may be attributed to the known interference issues with 273 rockers

Quote:

I run isky iron adjustable rockers on my small block street car. Been in service since 1988. Never an issue. Very similar to the 273 rockers.

The rockers are Similar but not the same
Just trying to make a point with the above quotes. The 273 rockers will work to a point, but they will wreak havoc at higher RPM due to the KNOWN valve spring/ retainer issues as well as being weak when subjected to too much spring pressure. CHEAP is not always good. IE: 273 rockers on a 340/360. YEAH bubba does it, and gets by but can't figure out why he gets SMOKED. It's because the valve train is HOSED UP (IE: interference that limits the motors ability to RPM) and starts flutterin a bit above 4k RPM.
OK,
To the OP, KUDO's to you for finding the root cause, I will say before I ran 273 rockers I would drop back to NEW stamped steel ones that most likely have the clearance needed.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: TJP] #1593764
03/29/14 05:05 PM
03/29/14 05:05 PM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
I swapped the heads this week and got everything back together. I went out this mornings and was able to get everything finished and start the car... Drum roll....The engine sounds great with no ticks at all! It was a pain in the butt taking the top of the motor apart and redoing everything I just finished but I am happy it's done. I'm really glad it wasn't a wiped cam. That would have been a true disaster. Going to bleed the front brakes later tonight and if the weather improves I will take it for the first drive tomorrow.

That's King Weenie to you!
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6