03/18/14 09:22 PM
03/18/14 09:22 PM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
I was surprised to read the shafts might be different. I have read some additional and I think you are right, it's bunk. Maybe someone has taken a grinder to the rocker to gain clearance for larger springs is what they appeared to be.

When I talked to the Lunati rep he mentioned that the can is known to cause some valve train noise due tot he grind. Maybe I am worried for no reason. I will pull the valve cover tomorrow when I have time and double check the rocker to retainer, valve tip and look for rubbing. I will also check the preload more accurately with a good straightedge. If all looks good I am going to stop worrying and drive it. I definitely feel better knowing I have no metal in the oil.

Thanks for the great advice and input!

That's King Weenie to you!
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593718
03/19/14 06:47 PM
03/19/14 06:47 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

When I talked to the Lunati rep he mentioned that the can is known to cause some valve train noise due tot he grind.

i don't believe this at all. this is a hydraulic cam and lifters not solid. are your lifters new, i've forgotten....

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: mikemee1331] #1593719
03/19/14 06:54 PM
03/19/14 06:54 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

When I talked to the Lunati rep he mentioned that the can is known to cause some valve train noise due tot he grind.

i don't believe this at all. this is a hydraulic cam and lifters not solid. are your lifters new, i've forgotten....

Yes Lunati hydraulic cams are known to have valve noise due to design.
Rocker shafts are the same from side to side but the notches on the ends of the shafts are down and forward on the drivers side and down to the rear on the rt.(passenger) side. Just like picking the rocker shaft and rockers off the drivers side and holding it and walking around and setting it down on the pass side without changing any position of it in your hands.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: MoparforLife] #1593720
03/19/14 06:59 PM
03/19/14 06:59 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes Lunati hydraulic cams are known to have valve noise due to design.
Rocker shafts are the same from side to side but the notches on the ends of the shafts are down and forward on the drivers side and down to the rear on the rt.(passenger) side. Just like picking the rocker shaft and rockers off the drivers side and holding it and walking around and setting it down on the pass side without changing any position of it in your hands.

interesting! are we talking about a 'ticking' or a 'clacking'. i'm under the impression that the OP has A LOT of valve noise but i suppose thats relative

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: mikemee1331] #1593721
03/19/14 09:54 PM
03/19/14 09:54 PM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
Lifters are new... The shafts are on correctly...The ticking isn't horrible but there is some valve train noise. it doesn't sound like the motor is coming apart or anything. Maybe I am too OCD about noises in the motor. I have never used aluminum heads before. I'm just a bit paranoid that something is going to go wrong. I can tell you the 318 it replaced never ticked. I had planned on going out and working on it tonight but I got home late and can't. Probably be Friday night before I can dig deeper into it.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593722
03/19/14 10:09 PM
03/19/14 10:09 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
It doesn't sound like OCD at all but something that is bothersome. There's been posts on some brands of new lifters that are too noisy which I dont find acceptable. I would check your preload tho and I would press down vertical on each rocker arm on the pushrod end with a wooden hammer handle while idling & see if any of em make the noise get quieter which would indicate a defective lifter

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: StealthWedge67] #1593723
03/19/14 10:10 PM
03/19/14 10:10 PM
Western PA
O
OldMoparMan Offline
enthusiast
OldMoparMan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Western PA
If you have a way of taking a short video clip of it running and posting it on a site it might be a big help by letting others hear the what you have going on.
Just my

Living with ALS help support the search for a cure
Thanks http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/WesternPennsylvania?team_id=347781&pg=team&fr_id=12069
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: OldMoparMan] #1593724
03/19/14 10:31 PM
03/19/14 10:31 PM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
Quote:

If you have a way of taking a short video clip of it running and posting it on a site it might be a big help by letting others hear the what you have going on.
Just my

I will friday when I get home from work. Won't have another opportunity until then.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593725
03/21/14 10:32 PM
03/21/14 10:32 PM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
Ok... So I have been working on the motor all evening. The preload is actually about 40 and my rockers are hitting straight on the valve and no contact with the keepers. After checking everything I could think of I decided to run it a bit wight he valve covers off. I noticed no significant noise coming from the driver side. It seemed to be coning from the passenger side toward the back. I tried a banner handle on the rocker and noticed an ever so slight change on the second to the rear rocker. When I shut the motor off that particular rocker was all the way up wight he pushrod extended. The pushrod was so loose you could rattle it around. I disconnected the coil wire and bumped the motor around little by little to check the other pushrods. None of them came close to ever getting as loose as that one. all maintained at least a slight bit of tension even when fully up. I assume this means I have a collapsed lifter. This sucks because I just built this motor and I really don't want to pull the intake. I will probably go ahead and invest in some roller rockers. If i have to take everything apart I might as well.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593726
03/21/14 10:45 PM
03/21/14 10:45 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I forgot what eng? You might be able to fish the lifter up with the long handled tool that grabs it

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593727
03/22/14 12:07 AM
03/22/14 12:07 AM
crisfield, maryland 21817
82ramIndy493 Offline
pro stock
82ramIndy493  Offline
pro stock

crisfield, maryland 21817
Are you sure your rocker shafts are not upside down? If so the oil will bleed off outside the rockers and they will run dry and keep lots of noise.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: 82ramIndy493] #1593728
03/22/14 12:16 AM
03/22/14 12:16 AM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
Rocker shafts are good....

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: StealthWedge67] #1593729
03/22/14 10:12 AM
03/22/14 10:12 AM
Western PA
O
OldMoparMan Offline
enthusiast
OldMoparMan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Western PA
If you think it's one rocker only you will need to do a complete check of the components. First pull the shafts and check the 4 valves on that side with a dial indicator you can use a sharp point in the end of the push rod and line the dial shaft straight up this will check the lift on the cam. Next measure and check straightness of the push rods.

If the push rod is bent replace it and try again.
If the lift is off you can lay a flat plate on the shaft locations and measure to the center of the lifter to see if it' not pumped up.

Hopefully it's one of those two buy if it's not you will have to get the lifter out and measure the lift of the cam to see if the lobe is damaged.

Living with ALS help support the search for a cure
Thanks http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/WesternPennsylvania?team_id=347781&pg=team&fr_id=12069
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: OldMoparMan] #1593730
03/22/14 10:48 AM
03/22/14 10:48 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

If you think it's one rocker only you will need to do a complete check of the components. First pull the shafts and check the 4 valves on that side with a dial indicator you can use a sharp point in the end of the push rod and line the dial shaft straight up this will check the lift on the cam. Next measure and check straightness of the push rods.

If the push rod is bent replace it and try again.
If the lift is off you can lay a flat plate on the shaft locations and measure to the center of the lifter to see if it' not pumped up.

Hopefully it's one of those two buy if it's not you will have to get the lifter out and measure the lift of the cam to see if the lobe is damaged.

Sounds like a wiped lope to me, hopefully not.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593731
03/22/14 11:25 AM
03/22/14 11:25 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Ok... So I have been working on the motor all evening. The preload is actually about 40 and my rockers are hitting straight on the valve and no contact with the keepers. After checking everything I could think of I decided to run it a bit wight he valve covers off. I noticed no significant noise coming from the driver side. It seemed to be coning from the passenger side toward the back. I tried a banner handle on the rocker and noticed an ever so slight change on the second to the rear rocker. When I shut the motor off that particular rocker was all the way up wight he pushrod extended. The pushrod was so loose you could rattle it around. I disconnected the coil wire and bumped the motor around little by little to check the other pushrods. None of them came close to ever getting as loose as that one. all maintained at least a slight bit of tension even when fully up. I assume this means I have a collapsed lifter. This sucks because I just built this motor and I really don't want to pull the intake. I will probably go ahead and invest in some roller rockers. If i have to take everything apart I might as well.

You said earlier that you filled the lifters with oil before initial fire up. You really should not do that. Because if you tighten the rocker shaft down too quickly and do not allow the lifter to bleed off you can bend a pushrod. BTDT.

I would pull that pushrod and roll it on a piece of glass, you'll see the wobble if it is bent. BEst way to fill a lifter is to assembly the valve train with the lift unfilled, then when preoiling the system it will fill up all by itself. Sometimes, like once the engine has been running, you do not have that option, then you have to slowly bolt down the rocker assembly to prevent this from being a possibility.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Supercuda] #1593732
03/22/14 12:13 PM
03/22/14 12:13 PM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
I have a 318 that has less than 500 miles on it. I took the rockers and pushrods out of it and tried them in the 340 with the same results. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a pushrod or rocker. The same pushrod is loose. I marked all the pushrods with a sharpie and ran the motor briefly to confirm the lifters are spinning and they are all spinning about the same speed, including the one that has the loose pushrod....

Now, this is something I need to check on... Yesterday as I was doing my testing I had removed the passenger side valve cover and reinstalled it. As I was reinstalling it something lying n the intake manifold fell into the head. I immediately took the valve cover off and started looking for it. I stuck my finger into a puddle of oil in the head and felt a small disc and pulled it out. It looked almost like a watch battery. I figured it was something that fell onto the intake while I was installing the motor. I looked a little more to make sure there wasn't anything else and I found a washer. The washer was what I though fell into the head in the first place. It came off one of the bolts I used to lift the motor assembly with my cherry picker. I didn't give it much thought last night but the more I think about it I am afraid the disc was the tip of the valve. I'm going to go out in a bit and check. If that's the case, what can cause the valve tip to come off? I bough the heads used but they had little use and I and the machine shop check them over. I guess a broken valve tip would be better than a wiped cam...Not much but a little.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593733
03/22/14 12:39 PM
03/22/14 12:39 PM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
Ding ding ding...We have a winner...er..loser! I just removed the rockers and it's the tip of the valve. I have attached a picture. I guess i'm lucky it didn't drop the valve. Looks like the head is coming off and roller rockers are going in after a new valve. Any idea what might have caused this? I don't wan't to do anything until I figure out what caused it. I don't want it to happen again.

8084010-valvesmall.JPG (63 downloads)
Last edited by Telvis; 03/22/14 12:52 PM.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593734
03/22/14 12:42 PM
03/22/14 12:42 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
The disc may be part of a lifter. Take a magnet and look for a clip and a pushrod cup too.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Dcuda69] #1593735
03/22/14 12:49 PM
03/22/14 12:49 PM
KY
Telvis Offline OP
mopar
Telvis  Offline OP
mopar

KY
The disc was the tip of the valve. Fortunately the piece broke off and the keeper clips stayed on. I have no idea what might have caused this. Maybe it was something pre existing from the previous owner of the heads? Too much preload? I don't wan't to do anything until I have an idea what caused it. I have a fresh set of smog J heads with new valves and springs that I am tempted to swap out for the aluminum heads. This is frustrating!

8084027-valvesmall.JPG (35 downloads)
Last edited by Telvis; 03/22/14 12:53 PM.

Re: Think I may have messed up...Help!!!!! [Re: Telvis] #1593736
03/22/14 01:17 PM
03/22/14 01:17 PM
SD
Z
zrxkawboy Offline
super stock
zrxkawboy  Offline
super stock
Z

SD
Congrats on finding the problem! Like you said, good thing it didn't drop the valve.

It's Swifty! Swifty, you toad sucker!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6