Quote:

Pale Roader, go back to the store and buy either apples OR oranges. You are confusing the ways horsepower is rated.

"Gross" horsepower is how the 1970 engines were rated. No accessories, and corrected to standard conditions, something like that.

Net horsepower is how later engines are rated, still on a dyno but with all accessories and I believe exhaust systems, also the standard correction factor may be a little less generous.

They are both way different than rear wheel horsepower. Rear wheel horsepower should be something like the Net number, minus the 15 - 25% drivetrain losses.

R.

No... I am the one NOT confusing the ratings... and that was and is my whole point. I dont need a lesson in what gross was, or what net was, or what net is now, nor do i need to be told that rwhp is different yet. I could write an article on this stuff, as could anyone thats bought and actually READ the muscle car magazines throughout the years... as they seem to have this need to remind us about all these beaten-to-death facts and trivia in EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE they print. All i needed was enough to make some guesses, or do some math, which the thread has now provided.

Again, everything on the magnum is net and as-installed-in-work-truck-stock (read: NOT as it would run in a CAR). Everything on the crate engine is gross, which has no relevance when comparing to modern engines.

My conclusion is that a 5.9L Magnum, with proper manifold and carb, headers, real exhaust and real tune in a bare-bones car attached to a stick should run about 260-280HP net. Thats 4.6 2V mod or 350 LT1 territory. Really... thats all i needed to know. I could have just guessed around that, as i'd already done, but its always nice to hear other opinions on it, and who knows... someone might have done just what i was thinking and then dyno'd it. Never hurts to ask.