Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

This will answer the question about antiseize.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf

Good piece of info there, I don't use autolite plugs myself(even though others love them) because they turn to rust in about a week.

I see almost ZERO benefit to that article other than the plugs with plating on them were developed to be used on aluminum heads.

I'd like to know who in the heck would tighten a spark plug enough to break it off at the base of the threads

Re: Aluminum heads and spark plugs [Re: GomangoCuda] #1583836
02/26/14 06:36 PM
02/26/14 06:36 PM
Az
Crizila Offline OP
master
Crizila  Offline OP
master

Az
Quote:

Great info. Thanks. I run NGK's.

Fastest 300
Re: Aluminum heads and spark plugs [Re: roadhazard] #1583837
02/26/14 07:08 PM
02/26/14 07:08 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good piece of info there, I don't use autolite plugs myself(even though others love them) because they turn to rust in about a week.

I see almost ZERO benefit to that article other than the plugs with plating on them were developed to be used on aluminum heads.

I'd like to know who in the heck would tighten a spark plug enough to break it off at the base of the threads

I agree that breaking off the plug while tightening is unlikely. Far more likely to twist off a plug or strip threads in the head while removing a stuck plug. The parts about corrosion and galling from unplated plugs and plated plugs not needing antiseize in aluminum heads is what I found relevent to this discusion.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Aluminum heads and spark plugs [Re: roadhazard] #1583838
02/26/14 07:10 PM
02/26/14 07:10 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is what I'm talking about, the zinc coating helps to protect against corrosion within the head, its kind of obvious but not something you think about. Non-coated plugs do/will rot. Its a point out the obvious to use the zinc coated plugs. I'm not talking about the anti-seize and broken plugs, that would obviously just be insane stupidity or lack of experience or both.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 02/26/14 07:13 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Aluminum heads and spark plugs [Re: Challenger 1] #1583839
02/27/14 03:17 PM
02/27/14 03:17 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They also advised us to ground each head separately to insure proper grounding with aluminum heads.

yea because the single bolt and wire you're going to use to ground the head is going to have less resistance than the 17 head fasteners and four fire rings

idk where thy come up with this stuff, if the block and ignition are properly grounded i just don't see where this is necessary

I can tell you never raced with a super charger, a super charged engine needs every edge you can give it because it's on the ragged edge, it's where I live.

In alcohol racing MSD techs came around to each alcohol team using MSD to help us. We listened and did what they suggested. So did many other venders because we are the one's spending $$.

Really? How exactly can you tell that? Guess I'm not "big time" like you are but I have won a national championship running around 30# of manifold pressure with a turbocharged bike and I've seen guys pushing upwards of 60# none of us had any problems as long as the plug gap was right.

Believe what you want I have a little knowledge of electricity and call bull on the heads requiring individual grounding if the rest of the electrical system has good integrity.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3