H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Quote:

Would I run a set of TRW's in a new build? NO, I can afford to come up with a lighter better piston.

Would I run stock rods with bolts? Not with this application but, I have.

Would I run this baby camshaft and deal with it? Probably would have picked something else.

Would I run a 360 cast crank? Absolutely ran one on a 580 horse W2 with 175 NOS for years. The block failed not the crank.

Someone threw out a $1,500 price tag. A cam lifters and block are worth that. Problem is I would personally want more camshaft at that is $300.

Here it is.... If you can scoop it up for $1,000 or less it is a deal. You can't get the block work done for that. Buy a light set of pistons, regrind the cam or buy one, and pick a top end. A worked set of cast irons would do fine but aluminum edelbrocs are lighter and easier to fix.

It all depends on your budget. Less than $4,000 you could have a decent piece. Or buy better stuff and spend well over $6000.

Leon

The only machine work we know is done is a bore job, I would sell 360 blocks LA or Magnum all day long with a fresh bore for $500 if I could find buyers. I could throw in a square deck, crank .010 under and line hone and still under $1000 block/crank in a bag.

I have a set of those 12.5 pistons in a short block and they are not close to clearing a closed chamber eddy.

The only way to make it a good running budjet motor... file the dome down some (will have some affect on balance that may or may not be close as is), run the fel-pro .054 thick head gaskets and open the chambers, de-shroud the valves on a set of un-milled J heads and you could get a pump gas livable combo. I would say $750 tops and only after looking at the bearings and bores

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: opinions on a small block for sale. [Re: boydsdodge] #1568171
01/26/14 02:47 AM
01/26/14 02:47 AM
Toronto, Ont, Canada
boydsdodge Offline OP
super stock
boydsdodge  Offline OP
super stock

Toronto, Ont, Canada
Thanks all, my gut told me not to when I was first offered.
But he hit me up again and that led me to just check in and see if there was anything streetable.
Better i take the cash and built what I need.
Thanks again for confirming.

Page 2 of 2 1 2