01/05/14 04:20 PM
01/05/14 04:20 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
How about the pick-up tube drawing air where it's screwed into the block? I would definitely try running with only 5 quarts of oil in the deep pan. Large lifter bores would bother the pressure at idle. Though you can check and see if the front flat pad next to the distributor is marked with an hour glass stamp.
Doug

Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: RapidRobert] #1558909
01/05/14 04:30 PM
01/05/14 04:30 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Moretoys, definitely post what it ends up being. with an oddball pan I get the car (pan) level & add the # of qts the sump is supposed to have & whatever the dipstick reads at that point is "full" & I mark it there. this is with the eng not started & the filter out of the equation. 1/2" does sound like too much. We'll be waitin

Full mark on a stock dipstick remains constant no matter what the pan. The added oil is at the the bottom - top level remains the same.

Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: dvw] #1558910
01/05/14 04:32 PM
01/05/14 04:32 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
With the oil being foamy, it's either air being sucked in by the pump, or the crank beating the oil in the pan into submission.

Either could cause the pressure drop.

Might be interesting to drop the pan, put 7 qts in the pan and measure the clearance to the flange, then see how far below the block the crank goes but be a big block it shouldn't at all. So inspect the tube very closely.

I linked to Milodon's instructions in an earlier post and they were clear to be careful where you put a wrench on the screw in pickups so you do not crack it. On an aftermarket pickup with no shield onthe bottom you want a bit of clearance, no more than 3/8" according to Milodon. With a STOCK pick up you want the shield touching the bottom of the pan.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: Supercuda] #1558911
01/05/14 05:08 PM
01/05/14 05:08 PM
ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline OP
top fuel
moretoys  Offline OP
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
The only chrome on this engine is the dipstick and tube.It Was there when I purchased the car. very possible to be wrong. I never checked the accuracy

My next plan of attack is to drain the oil, recheck the pick up to pan gap ( I have an inspection camera) remeasure the oil going in / check it with the dipstick. make sure to try it at 7 quarts,then 8 quarts. see what happens. I will update with my findings. won't be anytime soon though. full winter here in michigan.

I'll have to find my notes about the pick up gap. I might have that number off.
If I am over filled with oil, I can't see a 1/8 in. being the current problem.

Thanks for the tips. to be continued.

Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: MoparforLife] #1558912
01/05/14 05:49 PM
01/05/14 05:49 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Moretoys, definitely post what it ends up being. with an oddball pan I get the car (pan) level & add the # of qts the sump is supposed to have & whatever the dipstick reads at that point is "full" & I mark it there. this is with the eng not started & the filter out of the equation. 1/2" does sound like too much. We'll be waitin

Full mark on a stock dipstick remains constant no matter what the pan. The added oil is at the the bottom - top level remains the same.

got it

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: moretoys] #1558913
01/05/14 05:51 PM
01/05/14 05:51 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I doubt it's the pump as it is extremely unlikely to have 3 new pumps from different sources exhibit the same characteristics.
also doubtful it's the pan/ pickup as they have also been changed.

Being overfilled with no windage tray is a definite possibility as is the pickup location to the bottom of the pan. I have always set "stock style" pickups on the floor of the pan

You could try to duplicate the results in neutral or park to take advantage of the cold months. Keep an eye on your temp though
Do keep us posted

Last edited by TJP; 01/05/14 06:03 PM.
Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: dvw] #1558914
01/05/14 07:07 PM
01/05/14 07:07 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Quote:

How about the pick-up tube drawing air where it's screwed into the block? I would definitely try running with only 5 quarts of oil in the deep pan. Large lifter bores would bother the pressure at idle. Though you can check and see if the front flat pad next to the distributor is marked with an hour glass stamp.
Doug

This is the first thing that comes to mind for me also..After 3 pumps doing the same thing I'd be checking the suction downstream from the pump..

Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: MoparforLife] #1558915
01/05/14 09:14 PM
01/05/14 09:14 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

Not so unless your comparing the same year and type motor , oil pan and dip stick 1965 and earlier have different oil pans than 1966 and later to 1971 on B motors in B and E body cars, A bodys are different, so are pickups and vans Same thing on the dipsticks and tubes the Mopar chrome ones are never correct on any applcation I've seen for most early, pre 1973 Mopar B and RB motors, no matter which oil pan and body style I learned the hard way to NEVER, ever trust the oil dipstick unless you bought the car new and knew it was accurate OP, remove the oil drain plug and use the oil dipstick to stick through the oil pan drain hole to measure how much clearance you have between the bottom of the oil pan and the bottom of the pickup I like to see the Milidon bottom straps on their pickps either barely tuoching or no more than 1/4 inch from the bottom of the pan to the strap

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: Cab_Burge] #1558916
01/05/14 10:08 PM
01/05/14 10:08 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Cab, your comments remind me of my first MoPar, a Swinger SE with a 225. I bought in 84. One of the first things I did was change the oil. Put a new filter in and added 5 qts, didpstick was dry, added another, just a bit of oil on the stick now, added another till it read full. 7 qts in a 225, stock pan. So I stepped back and waited till my neighbor got home from work, he was the local gearhead and talked to him. After making sure the dipstick tube was seated and that I didn't have some sort of aftermarket pan we figured the stick was wrong. Went to the local Dodge dealer to order a new dipstick, no luck. Had to get a universal one, drain out the oil and go thru the procedure to properly mark it.

So, it pays to at least verify it once before one assumes it is ok.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: TJP] #1558917
01/05/14 10:46 PM
01/05/14 10:46 PM
okla.
sam64 Offline
pro stock
sam64  Offline
pro stock

okla.
Quote:

I doubt it's the pump as it is extremely unlikely to have 3 new pumps from different sources exhibit the same characteristics.

Being overfilled with no windage tray is a definite possibility as is the pickup location to the bottom of the pan. I have always set "stock style" pickups on the floor of the pan

You could try to duplicate the results in neutral or park to take advantage of the cold months. Keep an eye on your temp though
Do keep us posted

sitting still revving an engine is not the same as driving with revs.

Re: strange oil pressure problem on 383.rpm sensitive [Re: sam64] #1558918
01/06/14 05:29 PM
01/06/14 05:29 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Quote:

Quote:

Do keep us posted

sitting still revving an engine is not the same as driving with revs.

Agreed which is why I said,
Quote:

You could try to duplicate the results in neutral or park to take advantage of the cold months.

Page 2 of 2 1 2