01/01/14 03:20 PM
01/01/14 03:20 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline OP
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline OP
Master

Romeo MI
For the guys that have gone AND anyone that might go...
what kind of spare parts do you take and any odd ball
tools... do you take a set of race tires and street
tires... I am in process of building my trailer and
am still in the air on taking a set of spare tires..
I dont think I will but still dont know... I know what
my limitations are when it comes to the engine work
and trans work(I HAVE to pull the engine and trans
together if I have to get inside the trans other than
the pan and valve body) so thats not gonna happen
on DW... on the engine I am taking enough parts to
pull the heads and a couple pairs of roller lifters..
a starter, water pump, alt and all the ignition parts..
the trailer is small and is really the only way for
me to pack anything except for maybe my clothes in
the cab with some other small junk behind the seats...
give me some ideas on what you take and/or plan on
taking ... thanks

7980250-DSC00223.JPG (69 downloads)
Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1557345
01/01/14 03:31 PM
01/01/14 03:31 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
From some of the vids, it seems like water pump/belts or cooling failures, alternator, and fuel pump are the major ones outside of the transmission failures....Fuel pump for sure...and valve train parts would be my top two, but then again, I have never gone, but I did stay at a holiday Inn last night!

I also wondered about tires...

Last edited by Dragula; 01/01/14 03:33 PM.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: Dragula] #1557346
01/01/14 03:40 PM
01/01/14 03:40 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline OP
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline OP
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

From some of the vids, it seems like water pump/belts or cooling failures, alternator, and fuel pump are the major ones outside of the transmission failures....Fuel pump for sure...and valve train parts would be my top two, but then again, I have never gone, but I did stay at a holiday Inn last night!

Yeah I forgot I have a spare fuel pump and spare
rockers, I also have a spare alt belt(thats the only
belt I run)... I am taking all the normal tools plus
a few special tools that are needed on my ride..
taking a set of small jack stands and my light weight
floor jack thats normally in the back of the truck..
I dont think I will take a spare fan but I do have
something that would get me off the road(I run a HHR
fan assembly so I think I can buy that at a parts store)

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1557347
01/01/14 03:52 PM
01/01/14 03:52 PM
New Lenox IL
cudadon Offline
top fuel
cudadon  Offline
top fuel

New Lenox IL
Mike Dave Ahokas's 6 sec. camaro had 1 wheel/tire mounted on each side of his trailer.
There are pics in hotrod mag, or try hotrod.com.

The rampage looks great!
What class are you going to enter?
Don

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: cudadon] #1557348
01/01/14 04:07 PM
01/01/14 04:07 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Take what is going to be difficult to find at a local parts store.A tackle box is good to fill with odds and ends.AS was mentioned Valvetrain parts take a beating.I know 73fish at BS(Mike Crow) has a spreadsheet of what he takes.If you have a travel partner for all week theres no sense in taking duplicates,2 jacks,jackstands,fluids etc.

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: cudadon] #1557349
01/01/14 04:14 PM
01/01/14 04:14 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline OP
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline OP
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Mike Dave Ahokas's 6 sec. camaro had 1 wheel/tire mounted on each side of his trailer.
There are pics in hotrod mag, or try hotrod.com.

The rampage looks great!
What class are you going to enter?
Don

I thought about mounting tires on the sides in front
of my fenders but still dont know if I want to carry
them.. I had planned on carrying a can or two of Fix
A Flat in case of a flat tire... I'm still thinking
of changing out the front tires for racing.. the wheels
and tires are heavy on my ride.... as to what class..
well I only have 2 choices.. unlimited and I would
have to run 10.0(no license) or Daily Driver which
is 10.80 (quickest ET) but by rights would be 10.90
since they deduct .1 from the weekly average for the
bracket race on the last day.. if you run faster than
10.80 you lose and during the week you cant turn in
a time slip faster than 10.80... but I am seriously
thinking unlimited just for kicks

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: ksj] #1557350
01/01/14 04:23 PM
01/01/14 04:23 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline OP
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline OP
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Take what is going to be difficult to find at a local parts store.A tackle box is good to fill with odds and ends.AS was mentioned Valvetrain parts take a beating.I know 73fish at BS(Mike Crow) has a spreadsheet of what he takes.If you have a travel partner for all week theres no sense in taking duplicates,2 jacks,jackstands,fluids etc.

Yeah I have a buddy so IF we both get in we will
shrink down the duplicate junk... he checked out my
floor jack to see if it would go high enough on his
truck... with a piece of 2X4 it works so we could
get away with just my jack... we would most likely
use my small jack stands being lighter... I thought
about taking just a tire(no rim) if I trashed a rear
tire... I will take a box of wire connectors and some
assorted spools of wire

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1557351
01/01/14 11:09 PM
01/01/14 11:09 PM
Joplin, Mo
R
rt66jim Offline
master
rt66jim  Offline
master
R

Joplin, Mo
Mike, I see you listed lifters and rockers. Don't forget some push rods. Also over the last couple of years. I have had needle & seat problems. I have been told it is the ethanol in the gas causing the problem. Not sure if that's right. Jim

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: rt66jim] #1557352
01/01/14 11:32 PM
01/01/14 11:32 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline OP
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline OP
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Mike, I see you listed lifters and rockers. Don't forget some push rods. Also over the last couple of years. I have had needle & seat problems. I have been told it is the ethanol in the gas causing the problem. Not sure if that's right. Jim

I do have 4 extra PRs... I might have to pick up a N/S
or two because I use .120s

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: rt66jim] #1557353
01/01/14 11:54 PM
01/01/14 11:54 PM
Dayton, OH
I
idriveagremlin Offline
idriveagremlin  Offline
I

Dayton, OH
My brother and I went last year in our 66 belvedere I.

To answer your tire question I would recommend both street and race tires. We got by on ET Streets but when it rained(STORMED) we had to pull off at the next exit or the side of the road and that just kills more time on the road that you probably don't have to waste. Its the one thing I would take if we do it again.

Other than that cooling system parts and a cooler full of cold water are the most important.

Its a rewarding adventure but also punishing if its hot and it usually is.

Good luck, Bryan

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: idriveagremlin] #1557354
01/02/14 12:56 AM
01/02/14 12:56 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline OP
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline OP
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

My brother and I went last year in our 66 belvedere I.

To answer your tire question I would recommend both street and race tires. We got by on ET Streets but when it rained(STORMED) we had to pull off at the next exit or the side of the road and that just kills more time on the road that you probably don't have to waste. Its the one thing I would take if we do it again.

Other than that cooling system parts and a cooler full of cold water are the most important.

Its a rewarding adventure but also punishing if its hot and it usually is.

Good luck, Bryan

Last year we ran just the ET Streets for the whole
week... we did get caught in the rain the one day
but we just slowed up

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1557355
01/02/14 11:31 AM
01/02/14 11:31 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
In the past I have changed tires everyday. That is kind of a beating and takes up lots of space in the car. The few times it rained last year I didn't get the benefit of the road tires because my wipers messed up and i had to drive slow. Next year I am going to really consider not changing tires. A look at the forecast will help determine that also. The one time I needed a spare was last year and it was a front tire and I don't carry spares of those.

For spares I carry SBM specific stuff. I borrow my dads Mezziere pump just in case mine lays down. I carry a fuel pump, rocker adjusters. I plan on carrying a full ignition system. In 2013 I carried a full system other than a coil and that failed(thanks for stopping Mr P) and my spare was on the workbench at home. I run a GM alternator and late mopar starter that should always be in stock at parts stores.

I haven't carried much valve train stuff in the past. My heads have to be removed to get the lifters out and that's likely more work than I will want to do on the road. I now have a spare set of lifters and will modify my heads before DW this year so I can remove the lifters if needed. I put on new springs before DW and I carry my old ones as spares. I carry adjusters, but I don't own another set of rockers. Also, the oil is blocked off to my lifters so if the cam gets damaged I can remove the lifters and still limp along on the remaining cylinders.

Still held air

Last edited by Bad340fish; 01/02/14 11:34 AM.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: Bad340fish] #1557356
01/02/14 11:55 AM
01/02/14 11:55 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline OP
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline OP
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

In the past I have changed tires everyday. That is kind of a beating and takes up lots of space in the car. The few times it rained last year I didn't get the benefit of the road tires because my wipers messed up and i had to drive slow. Next year I am going to really consider not changing tires. A look at the forecast will help determine that also. The one time I needed a spare was last year and it was a front tire and I don't carry spares of those.

For spares I carry SBM specific stuff. I borrow my dads Mezziere pump just in case mine lays down. I carry a fuel pump, rocker adjusters. I plan on carrying a full ignition system. In 2013 I carried a full system other than a coil and that failed(thanks for stopping Mr P) and my spare was on the workbench at home. I run a GM alternator and late mopar starter that should always be in stock at parts stores.

I haven't carried much valve train stuff in the past. My heads have to be removed to get the lifters out and that's likely more work than I will want to do on the road. I now have a spare set of lifters and will modify my heads before DW this year so I can remove the lifters if needed. I put on new springs before DW and I carry my old ones as spares. I carry adjusters, but I don't own another set of rockers. Also, the oil is blocked off to my lifters so if the cam gets damaged I can remove the lifters and still limp along on the remaining cylinders.
Still held air

I dont remember if I clearanced the W-2s or the W-5s
so I can get the lifters out with the heads still
on the engine.. but before I leave I will pull the intake
to make sure... I really want to get the W-5s fixed
so I can run them(still dont know what the issue is)..
I;m coming to the point I dont think I will change
the rear tires... still might change the fronts to
a lighter set up for track........ keep the ideas
coming guys... I know someone said a few things that I
didnt think of.. simple stuff but I forgot

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1557357
01/02/14 12:32 PM
01/02/14 12:32 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
The MT drag radial is all the tire you need. its fine in the rain and even my 3 year old tires still hook on my slow pos. I carry an extra fan. I will only buy those cheap $15 fans off ebay and have proved to be just as reliable then those high dollar fans. I bring a Mallory fuel pump rebuild kit and push rods. that's about it.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: sixpackgut] #1557358
01/02/14 12:54 PM
01/02/14 12:54 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline OP
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline OP
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

The MT drag radial is all the tire you need. its fine in the rain and even my 3 year old tires still hook on my slow pos. I carry an extra fan. I will only buy those cheap $15 fans off ebay and have proved to be just as reliable then those high dollar fans. I bring a Mallory fuel pump rebuild kit and push rods. that's about it.

You sure dont bring much Ray... what have you broke
in the past

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: sixpackgut] #1557359
01/02/14 01:31 PM
01/02/14 01:31 PM
Indiana
S
Scott58 Offline
Scott58  Offline
S

Indiana
I would echo Ray's comments on the MT Drag Radial, we have used them for the past three years (one set, 295-65's, @5000 miles on them now), rain and shine, with no problems (and we've been through some pretty heavy rain a few times). I do use a little common sense and don't go fast around curves in the rain (disclaimer: your results with bigger tires and lighter cars may vary!). In 2009-2010 we used BFG Drag Radials, also with no problems in the rain (but they do not work as well on my car at the strip as the MT's). At the slower times we run in DD class it's just not worth it to do all that work!

I used to carry a spare pair of rockers when I was using Crane aluminum units, but switched over to stainless rockers and now don't carry any valvetrain spares (I've got flat tappets and thick pushrods). I figure if something like that goes really bad and puts a bunch of metal in the engine I am more inclined to call it quits rather than try to press on and cause more damage ($$$$$$).

What I carry in the trunk: Toolboxes for mechanical and electrical repairs. A spare, unmounted MT rear tire (I use the space inside for additional storage - no trailer!)and a small space saver spare (from like a late 70's Cordoba) in case we get a flat on the road. The spares are electrical and fuel parts that are not readily available at an auto supply, or something that will stop us on the road: spare MSD 6 and pickup, spare coil, plugs, cap, rotor, spare Mallory fuel pump, fuel filter elements, and carb tuning kits with extra gaskets. We use an engine driven fan and water pump so we just carry a spare belt. A few extra lug nuts, plus the lug nuts and wrench for the spare ride with the jack. Enough oil for a full change and a filter, a one gallon water jug (full), a fuel jug (usually empty), some rags and paper towel, gloves, glass cleaner, oil change pan, brake cleaner, funnels, brake fluid, 2Q ATF, a 6' -8 hose with a fitting rigged up so I can connect under the hood and pump fuel out into a jug in case somebody runs out of gas, big flashlight, a thick old rug to put on the ground and folding chairs so I can relax and wait while Doc Fox works on his 'vette on the side of the road.

Cooler, bottled water, suitcase, fire extinguisher, another flashlight, and helmet go in the back seat.

Scott

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1557360
01/02/14 01:32 PM
01/02/14 01:32 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

You sure dont bring much Ray... what have you broke
in the past

last year in my rush to make it, I made a crappy rod for the alternator. it broke over and over, I spent $30 on welding on something that cost me 50 cents to make

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: sixpackgut] #1557361
01/02/14 01:48 PM
01/02/14 01:48 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
A 5 gallon jug for fuel is a good idea. I ran out of fuel on my first leg of 2012. and last year there was a stretch of I think more than 70 miles without a fuel stop

Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: sixpackgut] #1557362
01/02/14 01:51 PM
01/02/14 01:51 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
OK I am convinced, not changing tires next year! I hope to be on a taller tire next year.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Another Drag Week Question [Re: Scott58] #1557363
01/02/14 01:53 PM
01/02/14 01:53 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline OP
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline OP
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I would echo Ray's comments on the MT Drag Radial, we have used them for the past three years (one set, 295-65's, @5000 miles on them now), rain and shine, with no problems (and we've been through some pretty heavy rain a few times). I do use a little common sense and don't go fast around curves in the rain (disclaimer: your results with bigger tires and lighter cars may vary!). In 2009-2010 we used BFG Drag Radials, also with no problems in the rain (but they do not work as well on my car at the strip as the MT's). At the slower times we run in DD class it's just not worth it to do all that work!

I used to carry a spare pair of rockers when I was using Crane aluminum units, but switched over to stainless rockers and now don't carry any valvetrain spares (I've got flat tappets and thick pushrods). I figure if something like that goes really bad and puts a bunch of metal in the engine I am more inclined to call it quits rather than try to press on and cause more damage ($$$$$$).

What I carry in the trunk: Toolboxes for mechanical and electrical repairs. A spare, unmounted MT rear tire (I use the space inside for additional storage - no trailer!)and a small space saver spare (from like a late 70's Cordoba) in case we get a flat on the road. The spares are electrical and fuel parts that are not readily available at an auto supply, or something that will stop us on the road: spare MSD 6 and pickup, spare coil, plugs, cap, rotor, spare Mallory fuel pump, fuel filter elements, and carb tuning kits with extra gaskets. We use an engine driven fan and water pump so we just carry a spare belt. A few extra lug nuts, plus the lug nuts and wrench for the spare ride with the jack. Enough oil for a full change and a filter, a one gallon water jug (full), a fuel jug (usually empty), some rags and paper towel, gloves, glass cleaner, oil change pan, brake cleaner, funnels, brake fluid, 2Q ATF, a 6' -8 hose with a fitting rigged up so I can connect under the hood and pump fuel out into a jug in case somebody runs out of gas, big flashlight, a thick old rug to put on the ground and folding chairs so I can relax and wait while Doc Fox works on his 'vette on the side of the road.

Cooler, bottled water, suitcase, fire extinguisher, another flashlight, and helmet go in the back seat.

Scott

There are some good things here that I didnt think
about... I keep forgetting the little junk...thanks...
in a few days I'm gonna go through all the post and
make up a list of junk

Page 1 of 2 1 2