12/17/13 04:02 AM
12/17/13 04:02 AM
SK,Canada
gregsrt Offline
top fuel
gregsrt  Offline
top fuel

SK,Canada
Ha s anyone used or heard anything about Quaker State Defy? It claims to have a higher zinc content.

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. Thomas Jefferson
Re: Engine Break-In Additive or Motor Oil? [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1547684
12/18/13 12:35 PM
12/18/13 12:35 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
Quote:

Quote:

Brad Penn break in oil, and the cam manufacturers lube for the cam, if it is a flat tappet. Never lost a cam, never had break in problems.
Each is specifically designed to meet the needs of a flat tappet equipped engine during break in. Do not mix with any other lubes, or "juice up " the mix with special additives, because you have no idea what may or may not interact between different brands of lubes.
Did you check the lifters for rotation before putting the intake on?. Rotation is critical. If any don't rotate after turning the motor over (they don't need to move much) pull the offending lifter and scuff the base with 500 grit paper till it is dull by putting the paper in your palm and rotating the lifter against it. Other than prelubing and making sure all parts have lube on them for start up, you should be good to go.

Greg, I haven't buttoned the engine up yet so I can check. How do I mark my lifters? How many revolutions should I give the crank to check it? before I do this, I am going to check with my engine builder to see if he checks for lifter rotation before they leave his shop.

I use a felt tip pen, or "Sharpie" to mark them. Two or three revolutions and you should see something on every lifter, maybe only an 1/16th of a turn, but there must be something. Remember it takes two full crank revolutions to get one lifter through its cycle, so rotation movement will be very little when cranking the motor with a breaker bar.

Edit some more

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Page 2 of 2 1 2