11/21/13 06:44 PM
11/21/13 06:44 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
I find it interesting that some here believe RPM is only going to work in light duty driving or for trailer queens? Last year as an experiment I hung two bare blasted and cleaned cast iron tie rods from my daily drivers trailer hitch for an entire winter (October though March). One was left bare, one was treated with RPM. The untreated example looked as expected, orange with rust. The RPM version looked brand new, not a single spec of rust! The key to getting the best results is prep and a thorough application of the RPM.

Re: Best paint to replicate bare metal/steel? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1537098
11/21/13 07:47 PM
11/21/13 07:47 PM
Ontario.Canada
C
can.al Offline
pro stock
can.al  Offline
pro stock
C

Ontario.Canada
..for a very dark grey i have some raw steel sprayed with quick dry graphite sitting outside in the weather now for about a month...still looks good.

Re: Best paint to replicate bare metal/steel? [Re: LimeliteAero] #1537099
11/22/13 11:48 AM
11/22/13 11:48 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

covered ALL in clear coat.Even inside the clamps.

Testing these to see how good they hold up against rust.. paint vs RPM.

Been there, done that, even with top dollar clear automotive finishes.....It will rust eventually under the clear...sorry

I've had the best long term results in "clearing" raw steel for cars that will get driven, often, with this....

Hey Mike,
Do you flatten the gloss on that? The can reads it to be glossy and Im afraid its going to be too shiney.
Im looking to protect the front spring hangers which are raw steel and will be driving the car more than trailering so I want something on them.

Dave, I used it on the underside of my Daytona, and yes it was glossy, and it didn't matter to me...but after 1-2 years of driving the car around, rain or shine, it dulled out to a "natural" finish (meaning no sheen) but there's no indication of rust forming, or the finish peeling, and it's been approx 10 yrs now, I even sprayed the gas tank with it also after polishing the galvy finish with 0000 steel wool...still looks great...I'm going to try it out on a polished aluminum Supercharger next to see if it stands up to heat as well?

Mike

Re: Best paint to replicate bare metal/steel? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1537100
11/23/13 12:46 AM
11/23/13 12:46 AM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline OP
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
mopar346  Offline OP
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
M

Florida
Quote:

I find it interesting that some here believe RPM is only going to work in light duty driving or for trailer queens? Last year as an experiment I hung two bare blasted and cleaned cast iron tie rods from my daily drivers trailer hitch for an entire winter (October though March). One was left bare, one was treated with RPM. The untreated example looked as expected, orange with rust. The RPM version looked brand new, not a single spec of rust! The key to getting the best results is prep and a thorough application of the RPM.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Scott, Did it seem to collect any road dirt and grim? One of my concerns and again based on nothing is that it will have an oily finish and therefore pick up dirt badly. I have about 200 yard dirt drive. Good dirt not sand fortunately.

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: Best paint to replicate bare metal/steel? [Re: mopar346] #1537101
11/23/13 01:17 AM
11/23/13 01:17 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

Scott, Did it seem to collect any road dirt and grim? One of my concerns and again based on nothing is that it will have an oily finish and therefore pick up dirt badly. I have about 200 yard dirt drive. Good dirt not sand fortunately.

Road dirt etc. will adhere to anything regardless of coatings. The real question is does RPM attract any of that stuff? No it doesn't, once it's dry and the part is buffed a bit you can't even tell it's on there and road film washes off with no ill effects.

Page 2 of 2 1 2