Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: 67autocross] #1523504
10/27/13 02:48 PM
10/27/13 02:48 PM
USA
C
Consulier Offline
enthusiast
Consulier  Offline
enthusiast
C

USA
Quote:

Hey Kevin .. off topic a bit, you said in the video that you are running a RS 600 transmission in the car, how is it compared to the tremac?

I love the RS 600. It's been a great trans, shifts very well, fit without any problems. No complaints... and I paid for it too. So, I'm not just saying that because it was free.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Blusmbl] #1523505
10/27/13 02:57 PM
10/27/13 02:57 PM
USA
C
Consulier Offline
enthusiast
Consulier  Offline
enthusiast
C

USA
Quote:

Dumb question though.... any idea why the Goodyear Eagle Supercar G2's weren't included? They are the OEM tire on the best of the best pony cars (GT500 SVT performance package, ZL1, etc), and it would have been interesting to see how they stack up.

And as an aside- Kevin, your Taxi is awesome.

I asked about a few tires, it was more limited by time than anything else. There were definitely some that I asked about and they told me it just wasn't even worth it because they weren't any good.

The Goodyear's were one that I would have liked to have seen in action. They are even more limited in size though than the Dunlop and the 275's are $100 a piece more than anything else tested. So, there were numerous reasons why some tires were not included.

I would like to see a 19"/20" tire test for the late model cars. The Goodyear would definitely be a good tire for that test.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1523506
10/28/13 12:21 PM
10/28/13 12:21 PM
Woodinville, WA
Viol8r Offline
super stock
Viol8r  Offline
super stock

Woodinville, WA
Quote:

I like my Super Sports.

I tend to agree with this. I run the KDW2 and the Super Sports. I am all good with seeing this improved tire, but the sizes just are not there for our application so it unfornuately side steps about 80% of the real pro-touring community. If you go to a real event, you are going against guys with 300+ all the way around their car. But I also run a 19, so maybe this is not my place to talk.

I would definetly give this tire a look if we could see some more sizes.

1968 Pro-Touring Dodge Charger
*2011 Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge Invitee
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html
Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Viol8r] #1523507
10/28/13 01:01 PM
10/28/13 01:01 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I would like to see some of these cars compete on the same tire. This may be a little bit of a thread derailment, but wouldnt it be cool to see all these high dollar mega cars all compete against the world with everyone on a 275? Just a brainstorm but I really think it could be a way for the Mopar suspension to show all of its naysayers that it does NOT suck. Talk about upsetting the apple cart....

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Consulier] #1523508
10/28/13 01:28 PM
10/28/13 01:28 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
Quote:

Quote:

I like my Super Sports.

What is it with the Michelin? People are loyal to that tire, but it was definitely outclassed by a lot of the others.

I'm loyal to Falken because they are supporting the project, but if I were buying my own tires it would definitely be the Dunlop. I've fought power on grip since putting the car together and I know now it's not anything with the car. The Falken simply won't put the power down and the Dunlop will.

Here's a bit of perspective if you lay it out in competition. I was 7th on the road course at Motorstate this year. A tire change would have quite clearly put me in the top 4, if not top 3. Sometimes change is good.

Thanks,

Kevin Wesley

I agree with the test results, but lets face it, nobody except a pro driver is really going to be able to tell the difference. I don't autocross, open track only, so I can't comment there.
That being said, there are so many other factors in choosing a quality tire besides splitting hairs on a closed course. There's ride quality, ease of balancing, treadlife and the longevity (cracking tread, sidewalls, drying out, etc. None of those things were considered in this test. The Michelins come in my size (255 40 18), ride great and quiet, perform well on the track (1:09 at Lime Rock), balance with minimal weight and will last a good long time without drying out.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1523509
10/28/13 02:08 PM
10/28/13 02:08 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
What I don't understand is the sizing? Or lack there of? Is it just us in the Mopar crowd that use bigger sized tires? I've accepted the fact that no one makes "good" tires for 15" anymore... fine, so I'm prepared to go buy new rims in 17" or 18". Sure is frustrating when you research tires... find a "good one" then find out it's not available in the sizes you want? Is it that we are such a small segment that it's not feasible to make "musclecar" sizing compared to tuner cars? I've been watching for over a year now on the hype of the BFG Rival's and how great they are going to be , blah blah ....STILL a year later not sizing? Still seems to be for me Falkens are the only option? Some competition sure would be nice! Next thing will be, I bite the bullet, and buy the rims ,then a year or two down the road find the size I bought is no longer being made? Happened to me in the 15" Firestone Indy 500's

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: brads70] #1523510
10/28/13 02:44 PM
10/28/13 02:44 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
I was hoping that they were gonna run the michelin pilot sport AS3's. I'd like to take that tire out for a spin. Too bad you can't take tires out for a test drive to see how well they work on your car. I thought the hankooks and the nitto's would have done better, too bad that Dunlops aren't offered at discounttiredirect.com, its the only place i buy tires...

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Consulier] #1523511
10/28/13 06:32 PM
10/28/13 06:32 PM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Quote:

I asked about a few tires, it was more limited by time than anything else. There were definitely some that I asked about and they told me it just wasn't even worth it because they weren't any good.

The Goodyear's were one that I would have liked to have seen in action. They are even more limited in size though than the Dunlop and the 275's are $100 a piece more than anything else tested. So, there were numerous reasons why some tires were not included.

I would like to see a 19"/20" tire test for the late model cars. The Goodyear would definitely be a good tire for that test.

Makes sense, thank you. I didn't realize they were that much more expensive than everything else tested, but it certainly explains a lot!

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Blusmbl] #1523512
10/28/13 07:23 PM
10/28/13 07:23 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
In review of the original intent of the Tire Rack's testing, they tested ONLY 200 tread wear tires. That magical "200" number is a more commonly accepted "class-spec" tire around most of the country... and some use a little lower number (~140 minimum). So, although many other tires/models could have been tested, they had to be "200" (not greater or less than 200). At that point in time, as may still be current today, I believe the most widely offered single "size" for likely useage on an autocross and/or road course event, say.. for "pony and/or muscle cars", was/is the 275-35-18... thus.. that was the "size" that qualified for being in the tests... I don't think any other tires of "200" tread wear were not included which offered that size of 275-35-18.

For those ppl super-serious about the fastest times on an autocross and/or road course event, there is the ultimate lowest tread wear ratings at "40" for very limited brands (and must be DOT listed) being Hoosier (A6 autocross, R6 road course), Kumho, Goodyear, BFG, and a trace of others. Typically, these super-soft/sticky tires will place the car into specific class/categories where such lower tread wear ratings are allowed (and still DOT listed).. and they DO make a big difference in lap times (although the driver still makes the final difference). These "40" tread wear tires don't last very long, but they grip like glue (and, "Yes officer, they are DOT legal!")... but not truly intended for street or hwy driving.

Take a look at the SCCA Solo National events, in particular the recent results.. they include tire brands on each car. Seek and find other similar "competition" events to see what other cars/drivers are running.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: brads70] #1523513
10/28/13 08:14 PM
10/28/13 08:14 PM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

What I don't understand is the sizing? Or lack there of? Is it just us in the Mopar crowd that use bigger sized tires? I've accepted the fact that no one makes "good" tires for 15" anymore... fine, so I'm prepared to go buy new rims in 17" or 18". Sure is frustrating when you research tires... find a "good one" then find out it's not available in the sizes you want? Is it that we are such a small segment that it's not feasible to make "musclecar" sizing compared to tuner cars? I've been watching for over a year now on the hype of the BFG Rival's and how great they are going to be , blah blah ....STILL a year later not sizing? Still seems to be for me Falkens are the only option? Some competition sure would be nice! Next thing will be, I bite the bullet, and buy the rims ,then a year or two down the road find the size I bought is no longer being made? Happened to me in the 15" Firestone Indy 500's

I dont understand this? The Rivals come in pretty much any size we could need. BFG is usually better than most that way, though they seem to quickly pull some sizes as they go. They come in more sizes than the Falkens, which only go up to 315.

I do get the frustration though... you read all these reviews, and the best performers usually have the worst size range. For years Bridgestones were at the top ov Tire Rack's charts, but that company just wont make a really wide tire, ever.

Its not just old Mopars that want these tires... Its OEM spec on Vipers, for one, maybe other supercars too? Plus with all these super custom builds and 'pro-touring' (ugh) customs coming out every day, those 335's show up a lot more than you'd think they would. Maybe not EVERY model needs to come out in a 14" wide size, but i think the demand is there for a few more. Then again, i also think some killer Y or Z-rated 15's in muscle car sizes would sell too. MANY old car guys will never warm up to the no-sidewall look... and only go to 17's and 18's because they absolutely have to.

By the way, i was on Firestone site last night and they still list that 500 tire as a product. Still just an S-rated tire though.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Pale_Roader] #1523514
10/28/13 09:01 PM
10/28/13 09:01 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I like Toyo's. I wish Toyo would take their R888 or RA1 and stamp 200aa on the side. Toyo uses some kind of rubber in their tires that in my experience wears unbelievably. Used to run them on a diesel, 37/1350/17, and they have probably 40K on them and are still not wore out, which is unheard of for a M/T on a diesel pickup. The RA1's on the back of my Dart have been abused relentlessly for 2000 miles and just now have visual wear. This was with a BB/6spd. As far as my car goes I cant honestly give a comparison but the facts are facts. Nittos are supposed to made by Toyo but even if that is the case I would say the Nitto's must be made of the excess rubber they sweep up off the floor after making the Toyo's.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1523515
10/28/13 11:12 PM
10/28/13 11:12 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
Quote:

In review of the original intent of the Tire Rack's testing, they tested ONLY 200 tread wear tires. That magical "200" number is a more commonly accepted "class-spec" tire around most of the country... and some use a little lower number (~140 minimum). So, although many other tires/models could have been tested, they had to be "200" (not greater or less than 200). At that point in time, as may still be current today, I believe the most widely offered single "size" for likely useage on an autocross and/or road course event, say.. for "pony and/or muscle cars", was/is the 275-35-18... thus.. that was the "size" that qualified for being in the tests... I don't think any other tires of "200" tread wear were not included which offered that size of 275-35-18.

For those ppl super-serious about the fastest times on an autocross and/or road course event, there is the ultimate lowest tread wear ratings at "40" for very limited brands (and must be DOT listed) being Hoosier (A6 autocross, R6 road course), Kumho, Goodyear, BFG, and a trace of others. Typically, these super-soft/sticky tires will place the car into specific class/categories where such lower tread wear ratings are allowed (and still DOT listed).. and they DO make a big difference in lap times (although the driver still makes the final difference). These "40" tread wear tires don't last very long, but they grip like glue (and, "Yes officer, they are DOT legal!")... but not truly intended for street or hwy driving.

Take a look at the SCCA Solo National events, in particular the recent results.. they include tire brands on each car. Seek and find other similar "competition" events to see what other cars/drivers are running.

Super Sports are 300 tread wear.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Viol8r] #1523516
10/28/13 11:27 PM
10/28/13 11:27 PM
USA
C
Consulier Offline
enthusiast
Consulier  Offline
enthusiast
C

USA
Quote:

If you go to a real event, you are going against guys with 300+ all the way around their car.

I don't know, I was at a few "real" events this year and the fast cars were all running 200's. The only notable running 300's is Popp and I believe he is on a Michelin deal.

Quote:

But I also run a 19, so maybe this is not my place to talk.

The Dunlop is available in 19 and runs large. Might be worth a look.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1523517
10/28/13 11:40 PM
10/28/13 11:40 PM
USA
C
Consulier Offline
enthusiast
Consulier  Offline
enthusiast
C

USA
Quote:

I agree with the test results, but lets face it, nobody except a pro driver is really going to be able to tell the difference.

I disagree.

If a tire has more grip, better feel, better braking limits, you will be faster. Will that non-pro be able to tell the difference between the two with just seat of the pants feedback? Probably not, that's experience. The only difference you will see is in lap time. They will be faster, they will have more confidence, but not necessarily know why.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Pale_Roader] #1523518
10/29/13 08:56 AM
10/29/13 08:56 AM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

Quote:

I dont understand this? The Rivals come in pretty much any size we could need. BFG is usually better than most that way, though they seem to quickly pull some sizes as they go. They come in more sizes than the Falkens, which only go up to 315.

I do get the frustration though... you read all these reviews, and the best performers usually have the worst size range. For years Bridgestones were at the top ov Tire Rack's charts, but that company just wont make a really wide tire, ever.

Its not just old Mopars that want these tires... Its OEM spec on Vipers, for one, maybe other supercars too? Plus with all these super custom builds and 'pro-touring' (ugh) customs coming out every day, those 335's show up a lot more than you'd think they would. Maybe not EVERY model needs to come out in a 14" wide size, but i think the demand is there for a few more. Then again, i also think some killer Y or Z-rated 15's in muscle car sizes would sell too. MANY old car guys will never warm up to the no-sidewall look... and only go to 17's and 18's because they absolutely have to.

By the way, i was on Firestone site last night and they still list that 500 tire as a product. Still just an S-rated tire though.

I guess I'm one of those " old car guys?" I'm wanting a 27" (18" rim) rear tire 11.5-12" sec width. I know the rubber band look is best for handling but it's just not me. I still have to look at the car the other 90% of the time it's not on a track! I've never really been a fan of BFG's, I guess I'm jaded by the BFG T/A hockey pucks.

Yes your right, they still do sell firestone 500's but they are not available in raised white lettering like my previous tires. Not that it really matters at this point as I've decided on new rims and tires anyway, just my point is tire companies do not seem to keep the same tire around long. When you wear out or damage a tire your buying 4 instead of just one or two.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: brads70] #1523519
10/29/13 10:36 AM
10/29/13 10:36 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

I guess I'm one of those " old car guys?" I'm wanting a 27" (18" rim) rear tire 11.5-12" sec width. I know the rubber band look is best for handling but it's just not me.

I hear ya. Its too bad there is not support in this area, but, ultimately, the OEMs will drive sizing the manufacturers make to a much greater degree than all of us combined. For this reason, I would look at fitting OEM sizes to my car if I was going to bigger diameter rims. This means 255, 275, or 335 as these were offered on many 'Stangs, Vettes and Vipers for many, many years. The tire guys will continue to make sizing for OEM applications long after custom "boutique" sizes fall by the wayside.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: TC@HP2] #1523520
10/29/13 02:17 PM
10/29/13 02:17 PM
Battle Ground, Washington
R
Rapom65 Offline
Rapom65  Offline
R

Battle Ground, Washington
Quote:

the OEMs will drive sizing the manufacturers make to a much greater degree than all of us combined. For this reason, I would look at fitting OEM sizes to my car if I was going to bigger diameter rims.

Precisely. Like Brads70 I'm looking to make the move to 17s or 18s due to the lack of available good performing wide 15s. So 5 or 10 years down the road are we all going to have to switch to 19, 20 or even larger rims to get tires? There is a limit to what these old cars can take.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Consulier] #1523521
10/29/13 06:22 PM
10/29/13 06:22 PM
Woodinville, WA
Viol8r Offline
super stock
Viol8r  Offline
super stock

Woodinville, WA
Quote:

Quote:

If you go to a real event, you are going against guys with 300+ all the way around their car.

I don't know, I was at a few "real" events this year and the fast cars were all running 200's. The only notable running 300's is Popp and I believe he is on a Michelin deal.

Quote:

But I also run a 19, so maybe this is not my place to talk.

The Dunlop is available in 19 and runs large. Might be worth a look.

Sorry I was referring to the size not the compound.

1968 Pro-Touring Dodge Charger
*2011 Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge Invitee
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html
Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Rapom65] #1523522
10/29/13 10:11 PM
10/29/13 10:11 PM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Quote:

the OEMs will drive sizing the manufacturers make to a much greater degree than all of us combined. For this reason, I would look at fitting OEM sizes to my car if I was going to bigger diameter rims.

Precisely. Like Brads70 I'm looking to make the move to 17s or 18s due to the lack of available good performing wide 15s. So 5 or 10 years down the road are we all going to have to switch to 19, 20 or even larger rims to get tires? There is a limit to what these old cars can take.

This is a very real concern. I was one ov the very first muscle car guys (that i saw/knew about anyways) that went to a 16" rim. I put some 16x8" Welds on my 72 Rallye Challenger years and years ago. I got a lot ov grief for that, but i didn't care... the thing stuck like glue. If i could get wider tires than 255/50/16 it would have looked pretty damn cool, as it was it didn't look that bad. I said then i'd never go 17" though. That would just look silly.

Now, decades later, here i am wishing they still made stuff in 17". You can still get a couple models in 315 or 335/17 size, but thats it. 3 years from now? maybe one. Pirelli P-Zero will always come in every size under the sun, but who cares? its not a great tire, and they cost $2700 each. I got into a lovely 'debate' with a well-known used tire guy here over the price ov some used Pirellis. The retard wanted almost $700 EACH... for his very used tires... that had been sitting for a decade in the pile. His argument was that his retail on them was $900+.

Anyways... 17" are now drying up, and 18" is the absolute upper outer limit for what looks good on an old car. Personally... i think 18"s are pushing it. Pretty soon all the customs will be using 19"s, 20"s... to take advantage ov the state ov the art tire tech, and most reasonable prices. What then? I wanted 17"s for my Challenger... but now i have to go 18" because i cant find much used in 17".

Its all relative i guess. Maybe those 50's hotrodders hated the look ov the G60's and N50's... which must have looked like rubber bands to them too. Maybe they said they'd NEVER put a 50-series on the ol' 32 3-window. One bonus though... if the aftermarket continues to embrace this hobby the way its doing, perhaps a new company will step up and fill this need? The more we get railroaded into the bigger and bigger diameters, the more the hobby may backlash, and a demand could truly arise.

Re: Tire Testing with Hot Rod, Tire Rack and Hotchkis VIDEO [Re: Viol8r] #1523523
10/29/13 10:36 PM
10/29/13 10:36 PM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
It's good to see some through testing using a big Mopar, instead of a newer lighter car. I'd like to see the tires in a 255/50-17 or 255/45-18- ie 27" dia. For a driver car NVH is a factor as is wet handling and to a lesser extent, tread life. I'm not expecting super long life on my TW 260 Nitto Invos, but they are reported to be quiet and handle well wet and dry. I can accept a rumbly exhaust, but loud tires annoy me to no end. If I get the bug for autoX I'd probably get a set of dedicated tires for track only use.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4