J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

It appears now the car is over sprung after getting after the rigidity of the unibody chassis.

Thats too funny IMO, we have had that discussion here on moparts numerous times.

I assume this is a corner car?

And so no one thinks I am now endorsing the X style, my disclaimer is almost anything would help a unibody t top car.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: jcc] #1489772
08/26/13 03:05 PM
08/26/13 03:05 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Or 'vert

Jcc,

Point of the discussion is this. While you are indeed right that there is a lot more computer modeling of vehicles today you cannot say that they model for racing stress on a mass produced car nor is there any serious computer modeling involving racing type stresses on our old stuff. Except maybe the aftermarket company that has the four post setup, I forget who that is off hand.

So you have to try things to see what works and know wy somethings were done and how they worked is about your only realistic option when it comes down to doing things. To me, it sounds like Mr. Bunch did some "computer modeling" with his popsicle stick frame mockup. The sticks being the drawing and his head the computer.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: 72Swinger] #1489773
08/26/13 04:13 PM
08/26/13 04:13 PM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote:

I'd say the driver was "careful" getting back to the throttle. Probably something he learned after some time with the car. Something none of those types of cars have is TORQUE, Ferraris,Porsches,Beemers etc. none of them. Except maybe the Audi R10 Diesel lol!

It seems like he is not going that fast until you watch the speedometer on the right.

Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: Supercuda] #1489774
08/26/13 04:34 PM
08/26/13 04:34 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I think many of us agree more then we realize.

Regarding this lower X brace, I will freely admit it almost always has to help. Mr bunch findings trully surprised me. However what often happens with new found info is a solution of the month forms. What I also suspect is that Mr bunch had effectively a "X" on three other planes, and this lower 4th X gave him the remaining positive results. My suspicion here is on a OEM floor panel car, without little other effective "x"'s in the other 3 planes, it will be little served with the lower X regarding torsion. I would also think it is doubtful if Mr Bunch would have tested my hypothesis, because they don't race cars at his level like that, and that info would serve little purpose to him. I also believe and have no data to support that SFC also are not an efficient solution to torsional flex, even I am sure they do add something as many profess. I just don't like to settle for a base hit when some extra thought can get me a home run. And I am too lazy to balsa mock up my theory.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: jcc] #1489775
08/26/13 04:39 PM
08/26/13 04:39 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

I think many of us agree more then we realize.

I think you may be correct.

Your analogy reminded me of a pyramid, without a stable base the sides will flop about.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: Lefty] #1489776
08/26/13 04:59 PM
08/26/13 04:59 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country

The strength of a triangle has been know for a very, very long time. I wouldn't be afraid of stating it was known long before we ever started applying it to cars. In the early years of auto production, I'd imagine engineers were simply apply general principles to things until cost, weight, etc, became issues and then approaches were evaluated. The application of triangles to race car construction have similarly been around for a very long time.

Since Glenn was designing and building his own car, he may not have been as in tune with the principles as someone who was more dedicated to racer's success on a large scale, like Larry Rathgab. As outlined on Glenn's website, conversations with Larry. and others at very high levels of competition, yielded big increases in performance for Glenn's efforts. FWIW, Chrysler integrated the X braced floor frame wholesale into its kit car program that was developing in the early '70s. Since then, any number of reputable, and not so reputable, chassis builders incorporate X floors into their designs.

The specific reason for it, beings as I'm no engineer, I'll jump on the parallelograming band wagon with this one as suspension loads do tend to transfer diagonally and the X does both resist distortion of the rectangle frame and provide a straighter path for load transference. You have to remember that sub-frame connectors were devised from the drag racing world where beam resistance was more important than diagonal resistance.

Installing an X in a street car is a major pain, but can be done. The X can serve as the lower closure for a driveshaft loop so interference there is not a biggie, but exhaust pipes do compete for the same space. You can build in pass-throughs like some companies do or use oval tubing to avoid some of the clearance loss.

Also, unfortunately, Glenn's website has changed several times over the last decade to omit a considerable amount of building details on this car. If you haven't read through it all, you may not realize that this car is far from a stock bodied race vehicle. It is a purpose built race car with only a few select sheet metal panels to identify it as a Challenger.

I actually like it better back when he called it a '74 and had the matching grill to back up the claim.

Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: TC@HP2] #1489777
08/26/13 09:16 PM
08/26/13 09:16 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Supposedly this Superbird recreation has an X brace for the SFC..... don't see any pics of the X brace on this page so far.......

http://moparblog.com/bill-goldberg-1970-plymouth-superbird-on-ebay/
Edit:

Found build pictures on this link there are shots of the X brace under the car:
http://ghostworks.yearone.com/superbird-build-shots/?show=gallery

Last edited by PHJ426; 08/26/13 09:22 PM.
Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: PHJ426] #1489778
08/26/13 10:21 PM
08/26/13 10:21 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
So no SFC, because the side intrusion cage bars solve that issue(?), and I like the usability of that design for a street use car, the x looks like 1x2"? material, and whose front end kit is that?
I wonder on cars like that if they just sometime go thru the motions for the look, since its likely never intended to be raced hard.
It does look cool.

Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: jcc] #1489779
08/26/13 11:17 PM
08/26/13 11:17 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
When I read that write up where they say something about how heavy duty the X floor brace was I have to admit seeing 1 x 2 square tube didn't fit the visual they painted in the write up.....

Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: Lefty] #1489780
08/27/13 01:13 PM
08/27/13 01:13 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

Being a x brace how would one install it rocker - rocker without having interference problems with exhaust, driveshaft, etc.?

I planned on adding subframe connectors as well as an X frame to the floor of the car.
Where the X frame crosses the drive shaft tunnel I planned on integrating a drive shaft loop. The top of it would be welded to the floor while the lower portion would be removable like the transmission crossmember.

I run side exit exhaust and planned on oval pipe to help clear the braces.

My thoughts on the X brace were to better control twist in the body.
Grab the top of a shoe box. It will remain rigid when held at one end. There's no flop due to the stiff sides. It won't shift on a parallel much due to the flat surface holding it all together. However, you can twist it all day long.
Putting a diagonal beam from corner to corner would redce the twist. Lifting one corner of the box lid would put the top of that diagonal in compression and the bottom of it would be in tension.

This is controlled to a great degree by the roof structure and pillars but we all know they flop around on our older cars. An X brace would help add the torsional resistance without adding weight high in the car.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: PHJ426] #1489781
08/27/13 02:53 PM
08/27/13 02:53 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

And it has improved the rigidity of the car. This car is a T top car with a 600hp engine in it currently. A whipple supercharger is going to be installed this fall.

It appears now the car is over sprung after getting after the rigidity of the unibody chassis.

That generation of F-body was one of the floppiest unibodies ever made. T-tops only made it worse.
A friend had one with the 305/auto. When he stomped the gas you could see the gap between the driver's door and dash close tight while the passenger side gap opened far enough to slide your fingers in there.
The cowl shake on a rough road was horrible. You could watch the dash go left while the hood moved right.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: feets] #1489782
08/27/13 06:39 PM
08/27/13 06:39 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
On that 2001 T/A the guy that installed the X brace said he had to do some maneuvering with the corners of the car to get it all squared up for the X Brace to go in....

Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: jcc] #1489783
08/28/13 12:11 AM
08/28/13 12:11 AM
Tampa, Florida
Road Ronin Offline OP
Road Ronin  Offline OP

Tampa, Florida
Quote:

My suspicion here is on a OEM floor panel car, without little other effective "x"'s in the other 3 planes, it will be little served with the lower X regarding torsion. I would also think it is doubtful if Mr Bunch would have tested my hypothesis, because they don't race cars at his level like that, and that info would serve little purpose to him. I also believe and have no data to support that SFC also are not an efficient solution to torsional flex, even I am sure they do add something as many profess. I just don't like to settle for a base hit when some extra thought can get me a home run. And I am too lazy to balsa mock up my theory.

OK JCC, what is this theory" If I'm gonna be cutting and welding down there, I prefer the home run too.

Leslie will lose; your automobile will lose; I WILL WIN! I shall build the greatest automobile in the world and I will win! Fate the Magnificent! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: jcc] #1489784
08/31/13 10:54 AM
08/31/13 10:54 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Quote:

I'd say the driver was "careful" getting back to the throttle. Probably something he learned after some time with the car. Something none of those types of cars have is TORQUE, Ferraris,Porsches,Beemers etc. none of them. Except maybe the Audi R10 Diesel lol!

I thought his problems were more with the bird bath intake, although he mentions carb, don't know if that means getting the carb to work with that manifold, also was not an ideal candidate for road course throttle response I suspect.

He has been using Webers lately.

Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: TC@HP2] #1489785
08/31/13 11:13 PM
08/31/13 11:13 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
I've watched various U-tube videos of this Challenger... its awesome.. very undertstated... super-awesome on the road courses!

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: Road Ronin] #1489786
09/10/13 08:48 AM
09/10/13 08:48 AM
IL
E
EchoSixMike Offline
mopar
EchoSixMike  Offline
mopar
E

IL
He hasn'tposted anything new in some time, or updated his website. Does he still campaign the car, or did the economy get him too? S/F....Ken M

Re: Glenn Bunch's GT-Spanking Challenger [Re: EchoSixMike] #1489787
09/10/13 11:07 AM
09/10/13 11:07 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
No idea. He did have it out for the Ultimate Track Car Challenge in 2010.

His website has gone through a number of changes in the ten years I've been following it. It actually has less detail and information on the Challenger now than anytime in the past, but it is also expanding with other cars. I suspect he may be diversifying his interests and the Dodge is semi-retired.

Page 2 of 2 1 2