Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Mike, around here , they encourage it if you decide to keep them.

To them its just another way to get a tool Sale I agree back in the day, a rental was supposed to be a rental. But not anymore brother, around here its a encouraged tool sale.

And I do see why in your case, they didnt want to replace a cam bearing install tool. How many average Joes install thier own cam bearings. I would, and you would, but not many others.

The Stores I mentioned, encourage the keep policy. Sale, Sale, Sale.

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: Sport440] #1487072
08/20/13 09:49 PM
08/20/13 09:49 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Mike, around here , they encourage it if you decide to keep them.

To them its just another way to get a tool Sale I agree back in the day, a rental was supposed to be a rental. But not anymore brother, around here its a encouraged tool sale.

And I do see why in your case, they didnt want to replace a cam bearing install tool. How many average Joes install thier own cam bearings. I would, and you would, but not many others.

The Stores I mentioned, encourage the keep policy. Sale, Sale, Sale.

Well if you were to buy that SAME socket its more
than $10 to buy... so they expected it to return..
some of the places around here will take your drivers
license number to make you return it... the only reason
they offer a cheap deposit is so you wont have to
lay out the big buck for the tool itself(being NICE)
if they really want to make the sale on a rental tool
it would be the same price... not 1/2 the price

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1487073
08/20/13 10:04 PM
08/20/13 10:04 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Mike, here in Canton, Ohio, the Deposits arent Cheap, They are the Value of the Tool.

I rented a Ball jount kit awhile back and it was $90 bucks. Just got off the phone with AutoZone to varify, and they are now $100.

AutoZone had them in stock, you could either rent them for the $100 or Keep them, or KEEEP them.

The $100 covered thier cost and then some. Its the New Sales trend. Now places like Napa, may not be doing it, but the three stores I mentioned are.

Soon, if not already, most of them chain stores IMO will be doing the same. They all learn together. Sale, Sale , Sale, Mike, Trust me its the new way.

No Cheap Deposits here.

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: Sport440] #1487074
08/20/13 10:21 PM
08/20/13 10:21 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Mike, here in Canton, Ohio, the Deposits arent Cheap, They are the Value of the Tool.

I rented a Ball jount kit awhile back and it was $90 bucks. Just got off the phone with AutoZone to varify, and they are now $100.

AutoZone had them in stock, you could either rent them for the $100 or Keep them, or KEEEP them.

The $100 covered thier cost and then some. Its the New Sales trend. Now places like Napa, may not be doing it, but the three stores I mentioned are.

Soon, if not already, most of them chain stores IMO will be doing the same. They all learn together. Sale, Sale , Sale, Mike, Trust me its the new way.

No Cheap Deposits here.

I deal MAINLY with one store in town... I'm in there
damn near everyday.. for the cam too they only asked
me for a $45 deposit.. but they knew it was coming
back... they had $100 deposit on it when it didnt come
back... I sure hope the places around here dont jack
up the deposit rate so high that its easier to buy the tool

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1487075
08/20/13 10:33 PM
08/20/13 10:33 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

[ I sure hope the places around here dont jack
up the deposit rate so high that its easier to buy the tool

I hear you Mike But its not to bad after the shock of it. I just put it on the credit card, and it gets taken right back off a day or so later when and if I return it. . No harm no foul.

So far I havent kept anything, though I did consider keeping the ball joint tool. It was new and sweet.

Sorry to hear you wont be making DW, I was going to be watching that for updates. Next year maybe, I know its not easy. I couldnt do it.

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: Sport440] #1487076
08/20/13 10:44 PM
08/20/13 10:44 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Sorry to hear you wont be making DW, I was going to be watching that for updates. Next year maybe, I know its not easy. I couldnt do it.

As soon as I finish working on my trailer I'm gonna
pull the intake and heads to see if I can find
the problem(its one or the other) but I was thinking
to milling the pedestals off my econo W-2s so I can use my
W-5 rockers(my W-2s rockers have wear, where the
springs were hitting).. still looking at ways to fix this..
unless I have a set of W-2 rockers hiding some where

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: qwkmopardan] #1487077
08/21/13 01:17 PM
08/21/13 01:17 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Quote:

This is way off topic, thanks to a moron that makes a post calling someone a thieve that he knows nothing about. Why don't the mods kick people like this off for posting on topics that have nothing to do with the topic.

Stanton:
Well folks there you have it, I have all the proof I need. They do let MORONS on these sites!!!!!!!!

Justinp61:
Yes it is meant to be that way. They charge you the retail price + sales tax and if it is not returned in a couple days they order in a new one. I know this for sure at AZ and Oreillys. They offer the rental program to keep the real thieves from buying a tool using it and returning it. if the renter decides he likes the tool and wants to keep it, he has already paid for it. I just had a conversation with my local Oreilly parts store manager [also a former AZ employee], about this and he says rent and return for a 100% return of $$$$ or keep it if you wish.

My post was letting the original poster know he can use a decent tool for free or buy it for a reasonable price rather than pay for a pretty much useless HF tool.

BTW if anyone is at the same race track as me and needs a 1 5/16" socket I have one in the trailer that you are welcome to use, except Stanton

So if someone borrows your socket and decides to keep it that's o.k. under your set of morals right
Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1487078
08/21/13 01:27 PM
08/21/13 01:27 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

Quote:

This is way off topic, thanks to a moron that makes a post calling someone a thieve that he knows nothing about. Why don't the mods kick people like this off for posting on topics that have nothing to do with the topic.

Stanton:
Well folks there you have it, I have all the proof I need. They do let MORONS on these sites!!!!!!!!

Justinp61:
Yes it is meant to be that way. They charge you the retail price + sales tax and if it is not returned in a couple days they order in a new one. I know this for sure at AZ and Oreillys. They offer the rental program to keep the real thieves from buying a tool using it and returning it. if the renter decides he likes the tool and wants to keep it, he has already paid for it. I just had a conversation with my local Oreilly parts store manager [also a former AZ employee], about this and he says rent and return for a 100% return of $$$$ or keep it if you wish.

My post was letting the original poster know he can use a decent tool for free or buy it for a reasonable price rather than pay for a pretty much useless HF tool.

BTW if anyone is at the same race track as me and needs a 1 5/16" socket I have one in the trailer that you are welcome to use, except Stanton

So if someone borrows your socket and decides to keep it that's o.k. under your set of morals right
Gus

Did you miss the part where you have to leave a deposit to rent the tool and the deposit is enough to cover the cost of the tool (in this case a socket)?

If a person buys a socket from the parts store uses it once and then returns it for a full refund it's no longer a new item and can't be sold a such.

If they have a rental tool and someone rents it once they've paid for the tool in most case (a socket especially).
The next time it's rented it's pure profit.
If the tool renter decides it's better to keep it for the deposit price (which is usually enough to cover it's replacement at the parts store) the store simply replaces it with one off the shelf.

The store essentially sold a used socket and got paid for a new one.

It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: SNK-EYZ] #1487079
08/21/13 01:46 PM
08/21/13 01:46 PM
Renton Washington
T
Triple Threat Offline
master
Triple Threat  Offline
master
T

Renton Washington
All of the local parts stores around here do the loaner tool program. Autozone, Napa, Oreillys and even the local mom and pop place.

As stated you pay 100% of the retail price for the rental, you have 24-48 hours to return the tool or you bought it. Pretty simple. Keeping it IS NOT STEALING.

I bought and used a 33mm socket for the job last time I pulled the yoke off.

-Dustin
67 Dart, 9 second, 392" G3 Hemi
68 Barracuda 340 F/SA
Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: SNK-EYZ] #1487080
08/21/13 02:14 PM
08/21/13 02:14 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stanton:

Justinp61:

Gus

Did you miss the part where you have to leave a deposit to rent the tool and the deposit is enough to cover the cost of the tool (in this case a socket)?

If a person buys a socket from the parts store uses it once and then returns it for a full refund it's no longer a new item and can't be sold a such.

If they have a rental tool and someone rents it once they've paid for the tool in most case (a socket especially).
If the tool renter decides it's better to keep it for the deposit price (which is usually enough to cover it's replacement at the parts store) the store simply replaces it with one off the shelf.

The "concept" some of you can't seem to grasp is a verbal or written agreement that you are renting a tool with the understanding that you will return it when you are done.Thieves are too ignorant or unskilled to make the money to buy the tool they need, either that or they lack the moral compass to honor a contract ,which category do you fall into?
Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
Dana 60
Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: Triple Threat] #1487081
08/21/13 02:17 PM
08/21/13 02:17 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Quote:

All of the local parts stores around here do the loaner tool program. Autozone, Napa, Oreillys and even the local mom and pop place.

As stated you pay 100% of the retail price for the rental, you have 24-48 hours to return the tool or you bought it. Pretty simple. Keeping it IS NOT STEALING.

I bought and used a 33mm socket for the job last time I pulled the yoke off.

So you "BOUGHT" a 33mm socket to do the job now there's an interesting concept
Gus

7822466-moriaburnout.JPG (15 downloads)

64 Plymouth Savoy
Dana 60
Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1487082
08/21/13 03:29 PM
08/21/13 03:29 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

Gus

Quote:

Quote:

The "concept" some of you can't seem to grasp is a verbal or written agreement that you are renting a tool with the understanding that you will return it when you are done.
Thieves are too ignorant or unskilled to make the money to buy the tool they need, either that or they lack the moral compass to honor a contract ,which category do you fall into?
Gus

If you've borrowed (not rented) a tool and don't return it then you've stolen it.
If you take a tool out of the someones truck or trailer without permission, you've stolen it.

The auto parts store know full well up front that the tool may not be returned when they rent it.
They took a deposit large enough to cover the cost of it's replacement.

As has been stated, they don't really care if you bring it back.
They got paid for it by the deposit you made on it!

A friend is a Store Manager at an Autozone and he said that's how it works.

BTW, I don't rent tools from auto parts store or anywhere else.
I just understand what they are saying about how tool rentals work at auto parts stores.

I have my own 36 year collection of tools some of which Chrysler supplier me with.
My toolboxes are probably older than alot of the people on here.

Gus, if you're posting from work aren't you essentially stealing from your employer by being on Moparts when you're supposed to be working?

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: qwkmopardan] #1487083
08/21/13 04:13 PM
08/21/13 04:13 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

Stanton:

Justinp61:

The way you wrote the post said you "rented" the socket for $10 and then kept it. Anyone with even a Grade 5 grasp of the English language would get the same message that Stanton and myself (among others) did and that was you stole it. Sorry. Nowhere in the post does it say that the retail price for said socket is also $10 and that the store policy is "rent it or keep it" which makes no sense at all. Why would anybody rent a $10 socket for $10?

Kevin

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: SNK-EYZ] #1487084
08/21/13 04:22 PM
08/21/13 04:22 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Quote:

Quote:

The "concept" some of you can't seem to grasp is a verbal or written agreement that you are renting a tool with the understanding that you will return it when you are done.
Thieves are too ignorant or unskilled to make the money to buy the tool they need, either that or they lack the moral compass to honor a contract ,which category do you fall into?
Gus

The auto parts store know full well up front that the tool may not be returned when they rent it.
They took a deposit large enough to cover the cost of it's replacement.

As has been stated, they don't really care if you bring it back.
They got paid for it by the deposit you made on it!

Gus, if you're posting from work aren't you essentially stealing from your employer by being on Moparts when you're supposed to be working?

Whether they care if you bring it back or the deposit covers the cost of the tool does not make it any less stolen if you in fact rented it and I'm pretty sure Gus works in a flat rate shop.

Kevin

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: Twostick] #1487085
08/21/13 04:24 PM
08/21/13 04:24 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Can we move on already..............TECH SECTION...........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: Twostick] #1487086
08/22/13 04:01 AM
08/22/13 04:01 AM
Affton MO
Q
qwkmopardan Offline
super stock
qwkmopardan  Offline
super stock
Q

Affton MO
I guess I thought everyone knew the auto part chain store loan/rental tool program. You basicly buy the tool with the option to return it for a full refund. This is a great deal for a tool you know you will never need again. You may get a brand new tool or you may get a used one. The 33mm socket I rented/bought for $10+ sales tax was used. I decided to use the keep if I wish option, and put it in the race car trailer tool box. The store associate that rented it to me made it clear I could keep the socket if I so desired. I also purchased the socket on my Oreillys commercial account, so if I did indeed "steal" the socket I think they could find me fairly easy or close or suspend my account.

Any one that's doubts the rental deal, as I and others on here have explained it, should stop in at the nearest AZ, Orelly, or Advance store and ask the manager.

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: qwkmopardan] #1487087
08/22/13 01:01 PM
08/22/13 01:01 PM
land of 10,000______'s
B
BDS871Cuda Offline
top fuel
BDS871Cuda  Offline
top fuel
B

land of 10,000______'s
I rented a Chevy Malibu a few weeks back for only
$150, dang, I should of kept it !!!!

Snap your neck, mega G-force launch, is all I want!
Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: BDS871Cuda] #1487088
08/22/13 01:51 PM
08/22/13 01:51 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Quote:

I rented a Chevy Malibu a few weeks back for only
$150, dang, I should of kept it !!!!

It's not worth that much.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: Thumperdart] #1487089
08/22/13 02:26 PM
08/22/13 02:26 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Bingo.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: 1 5/16 socket [Re: pittsburghracer] #1487090
08/22/13 02:30 PM
08/22/13 02:30 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Bingo.

I learned how to rent a socket............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3