Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Quote:

Quote:

Seriously Cab how many people on here care enough to find every last .0001 in their combinations. Heck the average guy cries about changing converters or buying good shocks. You think they really want, care or need that last 15 hp??

Yep compacted graphite actually. Nothing else under $10K available. Also not your average bracket deal, 10,200 RPM scares most folks away for sure. HOWEVER trust me when I win the lottery those heads will have a CN block underneath them for sure. Oh yeah that motor weighs in at 884lbs as well

I stand by what I said. 99.9% of the racers out there will not see enough HP from an iron block to overcome the additional weight they carry.

Let me qualify my reasonings on block choices, for all out power on a N/A motor would be compact graphite iron first, cast grey iron second and billet aluminum block third with cast aluminum last. For a street or bracket motor it would be a stock cast grey iron unless soemone gave me a aluminum block for free or testing, any offers All kidding aside as Al pointed out, when your not going for all out results, high HP and high RPM, above 7000 RPM then aluminum will seal fine for most appliction, above 7000 RPM you want the best ring seal you can get(vacume pump grounds) and most aluminum blocks will not seal as good as most good cast iron blocks will One of the things that is taught in comercial flying is the expansion differences between aluminum, iron and steel, especially in motors. Aluminum expands 8 times more than steel and iron Hence the need to set the valve lash tighter when cold on a motor with aluminum heads, even more on a all aluminum motor. So if you want 15.0 to 1 compression you better allow for the block and head growth when machining that kind of motor so you get what you want, allow for block growth up and out as well as the combustion chamber growth Enough pot stirring stimulation from me today

Ahhh, but your forgetting two things:

1-Not every shop that hones out a block for final bore size is the same. There is no such thing as a perfectly round cylinder in machining. You want tight tolerances, certain things have to be done to create the same distortion the block is under when fully assembled when it is honed. Not to mention the ability to even measure bore size down to the level needed. How many shops use XXX masters to set-up their bore gauges? Do you pre-heat the block before honing or do it cold? Do you laser etch grooves in at the directional change points of the rings in the sleeves? Call Guhring hone, and ask them about their Nascar treatment for cyclinder honing and let me know....

2-Aluminum blocks have cast iron dry sleeves now a days. Meaning, the .160" thick wall of the iron sleeve is backed up directly by lots of aluminum...So all that expansion does not purely move away from the piston, it actually adds pressure to the sleeve...The oppisite of what your thinking. How do I know this...Bored alum blocks all day long at GM...10,000 of them a week! When we put too much pressure into the blocks, the sleeves pop up above the deck. Its very critical operation with the preload on the sleeves, and all of it has to be done just right...Blocks ARE NOT machined or manufactured they way they were 20 years ago!

Last edited by Dragula; 08/14/13 02:32 PM.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Aftermarket RB blocks? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1483258
08/14/13 03:25 PM
08/14/13 03:25 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Seriously Cab how many people on here care enough to find every last .0001 in their combinations. Heck the average guy cries about changing converters or buying good shocks. You think they really want, care or need that last 15 hp??

Yep compacted graphite actually. Nothing else under $10K available. Also not your average bracket deal, 10,200 RPM scares most folks away for sure. HOWEVER trust me when I win the lottery those heads will have a CN block underneath them for sure. Oh yeah that motor weighs in at 884lbs as well

I stand by what I said. 99.9% of the racers out there will not see enough HP from an iron block to overcome the additional weight they carry.

Let me qualify my reasonings on block choices, for all out power on a N/A motor would be compact graphite iron first, cast grey iron second and billet aluminum block third with cast aluminum last. For a street or bracket motor it would be a stock cast grey iron unless soemone gave me a aluminum block for free or testing, any offers All kidding aside as Al pointed out, when your not going for all out results, high HP and high RPM, above 7000 RPM then aluminum will seal fine for most appliction, above 7000 RPM you want the best ring seal you can get(vacume pump grounds) and most aluminum blocks will not seal as good as most good cast iron blocks will One of the things that is taught in comercial flying is the expansion differences between aluminum, iron and steel, especially in motors. Aluminum expands 8 times more than steel and iron Hence the need to set the valve lash tighter when cold on a motor with aluminum heads, even more on a all aluminum motor. So if you want 15.0 to 1 compression you better allow for the block and head growth when machining that kind of motor so you get what you want, allow for block growth up and out as well as the combustion chamber growth Enough pot stirring stimulation from me today

I'm not sure how you came up with aluminum expansion being 8 time that of cast iron. Here's a quick reference of linear expansion rates to refresh your memory.

Coefficient of linear expansion per degree C. per the "Pocket Ref"

Aluminum .0000231
Bronze .0000175
Stainless Steel (304) .0000173
Copper .0000168
Gold .0000142
Mild Steel .0000120
Cast Iron .0000106
Titanium .0000085

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: Aftermarket RB blocks? [Re: Performance Only] #1483259
08/14/13 04:45 PM
08/14/13 04:45 PM
Orange County, Ca.
B1CUDA Offline
top fuel
B1CUDA  Offline
top fuel

Orange County, Ca.
I just finished reading this post, and had to laugh. As most of you already know, I am the original owner of Al's motor, and I designed the entire motor (C.I., Head design, cam profile, etc.), and Pettis Performance did the hone/assembly/dyno. This motor was built around 2007-2008, and to the best of my knowledge, it is still the only 525" N/A motor, that made over 1050 HP, in the country. When it was built, there were tons of 540 & 572 inch motors being built, that didn't make as much power, and they had iron blocks. No, I am not beating on my chest, I am stating facts. At the time I built the motor, World blocks were not even thought of, and there was no way that I was going to use the junk Mopar Mega block. At the time I built this motor, the KB block was a no brainer, and with all of the iron blocks that are available now, I still would not hesitate to get another KB block, if I were to build another big block. I still kick myself for getting rid of that motor, as it was truly one of those "Perfect" motors, where everything just worked like a charm. Al seems to have made that ol junker work for him......

Re: Aftermarket RB blocks? [Re: B1CUDA] #1483260
08/14/13 05:12 PM
08/14/13 05:12 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

I just finished reading this post, and had to laugh. As most of you already know, I am the original owner of Al's motor, and I designed the entire motor (C.I., Head design, cam profile, etc.), and Pettis Performance did the hone/assembly/dyno. This motor was built around 2007-2008, and to the best of my knowledge, it is still the only 525" N/A motor, that made over 1050 HP, in the country. When it was built, there were tons of 540 & 572 inch motors being built, that didn't make as much power, and they had iron blocks. No, I am not beating on my chest, I am stating facts. At the time I built the motor, World blocks were not even thought of, and there was no way that I was going to use the junk Mopar Mega block. At the time I built this motor, the KB block was a no brainer, and with all of the iron blocks that are available now, I still would not hesitate to get another KB block, if I were to build another big block. I still kick myself for getting rid of that motor, as it was truly one of those "Perfect" motors, where everything just worked like a charm. Al seems to have made that ol junker work for him......

Chris I think that, your motor, was actually done around 2003 -2004 before we moved up here from Hesperia I remember Jason assembling and then finally dyno testing it and being amased at the results Lots of ways to stimulate discussions, huh I think like you do now , I wished that you had ran that motor in your car more, OH WELL BTW, Al loves it Did it have a vacume pump on it from day one?

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Aftermarket RB blocks? [Re: Thumperdart] #1483261
08/14/13 06:39 PM
08/14/13 06:39 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

All this talk of compacted graphite iron has me wondering.....
How many machine shops in the country are set up to bore and hone these blocks?
Also, who is actually building the blocks out of CGI?
And third, who can afford them?

R.

Re: Aftermarket RB blocks? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1483262
08/14/13 08:37 PM
08/14/13 08:37 PM
Orange County, Ca.
B1CUDA Offline
top fuel
B1CUDA  Offline
top fuel

Orange County, Ca.
Quote:

Quote:

Chris I think that, your motor, was actually done around 2003 -2004 before we moved up here from Hesperia I remember Jason assembling and then finally dyno testing it and being amased at the results Lots of ways to stimulate discussions, huh I think like you do now , I wished that you had ran that motor in your car more, OH WELL BTW, Al loves it Did it have a vacume pump on it from day one?

I wished I had more time to play with it too! And the Pro Stock motor too! (Time has always been my enemy, with a busy business, and young kids) Yes, the motor had a 4 vane Moroso on it, from day one, until I sold it to Al.

Re: Aftermarket RB blocks? [Re: B1CUDA] #1483263
08/14/13 11:16 PM
08/14/13 11:16 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Thanks for letting me know

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Aftermarket RB blocks? [Re: camastomcat] #1483264
08/14/13 11:30 PM
08/14/13 11:30 PM
Alabama
Mopar-Al Offline
master
Mopar-Al  Offline
master

Alabama
I responded. I was in Ogden 3 weeks ago at Great lake minerals. I would of came by and looked. I will get with you on details and save your pm

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3