08/03/13 01:27 PM
08/03/13 01:27 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
I had the same problem my Dart would`t shut off at the switch, I ran a new wire directly from the alternator to two relays to the switch and problem solved, it also starts easier and the battery does`t need charging as often as it used too.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: Battery cutoff switch and msd, car wont die [Re: challengermike] #1478096
08/03/13 01:45 PM
08/03/13 01:45 PM
OHIO THE HEART OF IT ALL
64hemi330sedan Offline
super stock
64hemi330sedan  Offline
super stock

OHIO THE HEART OF IT ALL
Quote:

The diode idea didnt work I just tried it. And a solenoid wont either do to it needing a power loss to kick it off and nothing losses power with the alt powering it. I guess I will just run the alt wire and msd directly to the bat itself. I do like the idea of fuses on both sides of the alt line. And for what it's worth I tried the msd on the back of the alt and with the new box it didn't die either. Maybe because it's digital and not analog like the old box. I don't know why with the old box it would kill the car.

the diode will only flow power one way.turn it around and see if that will do it.if its wired the wrong way it wont work.

Re: Battery cutoff switch and msd, car wont die [Re: 64hemi330sedan] #1478097
08/03/13 02:02 PM
08/03/13 02:02 PM
Amherst,NY
challengermike Offline OP
super stock
challengermike  Offline OP
super stock

Amherst,NY
Quote:

Quote:

The diode idea didnt work I just tried it. And a solenoid wont either do to it needing a power loss to kick it off and nothing losses power with the alt powering it. I guess I will just run the alt wire and msd directly to the bat itself. I do like the idea of fuses on both sides of the alt line. And for what it's worth I tried the msd on the back of the alt and with the new box it didn't die either. Maybe because it's digital and not analog like the old box. I don't know why with the old box it would kill the car.

the diode will only flow power one way.turn it around and see if that will do it.if its wired the wrong way it wont work.

I checked it before I put it on. I had it so the power would only flow to the alt. If I flipped it other way my alt wouldn't charge. And it was charging when it was on there. I do understand now why a diode wont work. The power isn't going backwards but the way I have it wired its making a loop that keeps everything powered. Im sure the only way to cured this is to wire the alt and msd to the pos side of the battery like mr p body said.

Re: Battery cutoff switch and msd, car wont die [Re: challengermike] #1478098
08/03/13 03:08 PM
08/03/13 03:08 PM
OHIO THE HEART OF IT ALL
64hemi330sedan Offline
super stock
64hemi330sedan  Offline
super stock

OHIO THE HEART OF IT ALL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I checked it before I put it on. I had it so the power would only flow to the alt. If I flipped it other way my alt wouldn't charge. And it was charging when it was on there. I do understand now why a diode wont work. The power isn't going backwards but the way I have it wired its making a loop that keeps everything powered. Im sure the only way to cured this is to wire the alt and msd to the pos side of the battery like mr p body said.

Page 2 of 2 1 2