11/09/08 04:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-56.html

7.) Glowing headers mean the engine is lean – This wives’ tale is starting to lose steam, but still believed more often than not. Headers glow red for only one reason, there’s fuel burning inside. The two main reasons are a rich mixture and late ignition timing - which doesn’t give the fuel enough time to burn inside the combustion chamber. Test it for yourself, let your engine idle and crank the ignition timing back to the point where it barely runs, then get out the marshmallows.

You'd think Holley would know.........

http://www.holley.com/TechService/FAQ.asp?category=Blower

QUESTION I have installed one of your superchargers and my engine seems to run hot and my headers glow at idle. What could cause this?
ANSWER Usually an issue with glowing headers and a hot running engine are caused by two basic things. Either incorrect timing or the engine is extremely lean. There are others, but these two are the main cause. Blower engines like timing advance. If the initial timing advance is not enough it will cause these issues. Most blower engines will run between 12-20 degrees of intial timing and a total of 30-32 degrees. You do want a fairly fast timing curve. All the timing should be in by 2500-2800RPM.This is just a guideline. All engines are different. The other main cause is a lean running engine. Make sure the carbs are tuned correctly for the setup and there are no vacuum leaks. Remember the blower moves a lot more air through the engine so it needs more fuel as well!

Re: red header tubes #147428
11/09/08 01:40 PM
11/09/08 01:40 PM
Idaho
B
boomerodell Offline OP
boomerodell  Offline OP
B

Idaho
Thanks for all the replys. The carbs are stock holleys that came with the 6bbl kit. And with this motor being more radical than a stock 440 i'm thinking its in the carbs? I will change the springs in the dist. get it to advance then mess with the carbs. It just worries me because it hasn't done this before. Plus the headers are new coated ones and now they are dull around those ports.

Re: red header tubes [Re: boomerodell] #147429
11/09/08 03:03 PM
11/09/08 03:03 PM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
With few exceptions very seldom is mixture distribution even cylinder to cylinder,therefore you'll have varying EGTs. Fuel injection and single plane manifolds don't cure this either,I'm certain the 6pack manifolds are pretty far out in this area. First step to avoid killing your headers is add alot of timing,just twist the distributor to 25 initial and determine if your going the right direction. Do you have an infrared gun? Would tell you alot and very quickly let you see the difference.Hope you get it figured out quickly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2