07/11/13 09:03 AM
07/11/13 09:03 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
'Cause you know, THAT title's not gonna make anyone cringe...

Okay, my daily driver (68 Caddy) finally sucked its last rust flake into the steel line. The tank is NOT stock, has NO sending unit or even a hole for one, just a line out. Where you even FIND a tank like this i dont know. I didn't build it. Regardless, not important, this gas tank cannot be opened, and it cannot be fixed. Its FULL ov rust. I was just hoping it would last the summer... Guess not.

I need to drive this car tomorrow.

The car's got a good working electric pump, in between the tank and the steel line along the frame. Typical set-up. Pump works good. When the car stalls, there is no fuel getting to the rear filter. Only a SEVERE amount ov banging on the tank/line/filter will dislodge it and get it going again.

I'm going to run a 3/8" fuel line from the filter (which is good) to a tank (jerry can) in the interior (station wagon), through a drilled hole in the floor. Not unlike an interior fuel cell set-up. The fuel will have to run about 18" uphill to the tall gas can. Then about 12" back down to the bottom inside the jug. The jug will be right against the rear door, and tied securely obviously.

Aside from the usual 'this is hokey as hell, dont do it' comments, any reason why this wont work? Would it work in a Mad Max world?

This is my only working car now, and i need to get to work. I HAVE NO MONEY. I cant even come close to affording a tank, or a fuel cell right now. A friend has offered me a fuel cell, but it's 8 gallons. In this rig that would get me nowhere. I might still pick it up.

On the plus side... i now have a reason to replace that hokey tank, and get either a custom tank or cell, with a working fuel gauge. I have never had one in this vehicle, and at 11mpg this rig NEEDS one.

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: Pale_Roader] #1466384
07/11/13 09:46 AM
07/11/13 09:46 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
yes, it will work.

I dont like the idea of the can inside the car.

I ran a truck a few months with a plastic 5 gallon gas can in the fender whell area just behind the pass side headlight/core support.

worked great and had people scratching their head when I opend the hood and pumped gas in the can.

I have straped a gas can on a roof of a mud truck to gravity feed the carb when the feul pump craped out one time.

worked while it was running, but would flood the carb on shut down pushing past the needle/seat in the carb...i think. but it drove us 10 miles out of the sticks.

the little up hill then a longer sharp drop in you can pick-up hose will cause it to syphine feed the pump so no problems there once it is primed.

you do have a flame suite to wear with the can straped to the inside of (ov) rear door..right? if you think hot oil under pressure from a broken plastic oil guage tube is hot while driving.. fire is worse.

OH! it would be called hickabilly not hokey IMHO.

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1466385
07/11/13 10:01 AM
07/11/13 10:01 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

See? now thats what i like about this site... you get answers in minutes sometimes.

And no, i dont like it either. But desperate times you know...

My friend actually drove around for years in his 50 Chev with a metal gas can tack-welded to the trunk floor inside the trunk. Ov course, that thing had a tiny engine. This Cad would drain that can on the way to work...

As for inside the car... well... it being essentially a wagon, there is no place outside the car anywhere to put the jug. I'll probably snag my friends little 8 gal fuel cell, at least thats got SOME safety in mind. Lots ov guys run in-trunk fuel cells. Plus, easy to fill the tank for now... just open the rear door and pop the cap.

Hell, at least THIS way for the first time in 20 years i can tell how much gas is in the damn car... just go back and look!

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: Pale_Roader] #1466386
07/11/13 02:35 PM
07/11/13 02:35 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Splice a Schrader valve into the fuel line between your pump and the tank. Use compressed air to blow the rust flakes away from the in-tank strainer. My friend drove a Javelin like this for years.

My '64Dog's tank was rusty, I removed it and got the rust to come out the filler hole by sloshing about a gallon of gasoline around and then pouring it into a 5 gallon bucket, over and over. Got about a coffee can full of flakes. The tank worked for several years after before finally holing through.

R.

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: Pale_Roader] #1466387
07/11/13 03:00 PM
07/11/13 03:00 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
I can't remember but you don't smoke right?

Sheldon

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1466388
07/11/13 03:37 PM
07/11/13 03:37 PM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Do you have access to a tank for a boat ?

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: JohnRR] #1466389
07/11/13 05:58 PM
07/11/13 05:58 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

good idea with a boat tank and line connection.

I have a 64 chebby stepside I work on with a boat tank in the bed like that.

some angle iron peices, a welder, a gasser spun alum tank mounted out in front of the bumber would be kool on a road warrior caddy.

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 07/11/13 06:00 PM.
Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: dogdays] #1466390
07/12/13 06:41 AM
07/12/13 06:41 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Splice a Schrader valve into the fuel line between your pump and the tank. Use compressed air to blow the rust flakes away from the in-tank strainer. My friend drove a Javelin like this for years.

I dont have compressed air. Besides, it would just jam again. I'm done 'attending' to it every single time i drive it. A fix is needed, even a hokey fix.

Quote:

My '64Dog's tank was rusty, I removed it and got the rust to come out the filler hole by sloshing about a gallon of gasoline around and then pouring it into a 5 gallon bucket, over and over. Got about a coffee can full of flakes. The tank worked for several years after before finally holing through.

R.

Yup, sounds good, but under it today, its going to be a major undertaking just removing that tank, and its not going to come quietly. 45 years ov rust will see to that. In fact, i was pretty shocked to see just how much cancer this car has... if it wasn't literally built like a WW2-era battleship, it'd be toast by now. Regardless, once that tank is out, its not going back in.

Further, upon close inspection, it actually DOES look like the original tank. Weird. Never heard ov a gas tank without a sender before, or a car without a working fuel gauge...???

Anyways, the project stalled today when i figured out an even better way to do it (NO hack involved), and i was stumped for the want ov just 15" ov steel line. Couldn't even find a spare dipstick tube to cut up and use. Back to the parts store tomorrow...

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1466391
07/12/13 06:42 AM
07/12/13 06:42 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

I can't remember but you don't smoke right?

Sheldon

Only the tires... And the ol' Anti-Life Mobile does love a good cooker...

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1466392
07/12/13 06:45 AM
07/12/13 06:45 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Quote:

good idea with a boat tank and line connection.

I have a 64 chebby stepside I work on with a boat tank in the bed like that.

Nope. Nothing that useful around here. My friend suggested that too.

Quote:

some angle iron peices, a welder, a gasser spun alum tank mounted out in front of the bumber would be kool on a road warrior caddy.

Well... though this rig is right out ov the post-apocalyptic Aussie wasteland... i still wouldn't mount a tank up front... What if i need to ram someone...???

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: Pale_Roader] #1466393
07/12/13 12:07 PM
07/12/13 12:07 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
good point.

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1466394
07/12/13 12:28 PM
07/12/13 12:28 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Quote:

you do have a flame suite to wear with the can straped to the inside of (ov) rear door..right?

I'm not usually one to be the grammar/spelling police, but you know it's spelled "of" right?

For pete's sake man, it's only two letters!

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: wingman] #1466395
07/12/13 12:37 PM
07/12/13 12:37 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
X3 on the boat tank.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: wingman] #1466396
07/12/13 01:57 PM
07/12/13 01:57 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

you do have a flame suite to wear with the can straped to the inside of (ov) rear door..right?

I'm not usually one to be the grammar/spelling police, but you know it's spelled "of" right?

For pete's sake man, it's only two letters!

yes,I have very poor grammar and spelling ability because I am ignorant(i think thats what it is called?), but yes, I do know it is spelled OF.

the OP is the only one on the board that does that OV thing IIRC, so as grammar police point out my bad grammar, I want to make sure I did not miss spell it for him.

my caps button is slack so it looks like i dont know that i am supposed to use the upper case I also. but I have bigger isssue than grammar to worry about that sort ov thing.

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: Pale_Roader] #1466397
07/12/13 02:20 PM
07/12/13 02:20 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Are you just going to swap in another tank from something else from PNP?
And to anyone bothered by ov, explain to me who the heck decided the correct way to spell that word, because the "correct" way to spell it makes no sense whatsoever. I like people who deliberately challenge stupid convention.

Sheldon

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: Pale_Roader] #1466398
07/12/13 03:13 PM
07/12/13 03:13 PM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

I dont have compressed air. Besides, it would just jam again. I'm done 'attending' to it every single time i drive it. A fix is needed, even a hokey fix.

buy a boat tank , it's a fix that will work well andc you can run it like that for a while without fear of a jerryjug falling over..

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: JohnRR] #1466399
07/12/13 06:57 PM
07/12/13 06:57 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

buy a boat tank , it's a fix that will work well andc you can run it like that for a while without fear of a jerryjug falling over..

You can pick them up jeap on craigslist I bet. Much safer then your jerry can idea.

In the Demolition derbys around here they are used alot in the cars. Those and or fuel cells.

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1466400
07/12/13 07:49 PM
07/12/13 07:49 PM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Are you just going to swap in another tank from something else from PNP?

The amount ov space under there is vast. The stock tank is at least 16 gal, and i could easily double the size and have room to spare, probably triple the size once i change the exhaust, the floor in the rear ov these things is really high.

The plan is to find a stock tank and sender from something that fits the shape (area), or better yet, have a tank built to fit perfectly. A new tank and sender, plus aftermarket fuel gauge would be just swell. Pretty sure my gauge is also hooped at the dash too.

Quote:

And to anyone bothered by ov, explain to me who the heck decided the correct way to spell that word, because the "correct" way to spell it makes no sense whatsoever. I like people who deliberately challenge stupid convention.

Sheldon

Hah! You know... i never even thought ov it that way. If you look around, probably half the people here (well anywhere) spell stuff is it sounds... which, is pretty much what bad spelling is, isn't it? Not that its intentional...

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: JohnRR] #1466401
07/12/13 07:53 PM
07/12/13 07:53 PM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Quote:

I'll look around for a free one somewhere. I'm not worried about the jerry falling/moving though, there is a factory cubby/hole in the middle floor, for holding a battery or something, the 5 gal jerry fits right in there so snug it wouldn't move in a rollover. Still not what i'd call safe... but at least it wont move.

Re: Super-hokey fuel fix... (in a pinch) [Re: Pale_Roader] #1466402
07/12/13 09:53 PM
07/12/13 09:53 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Hah! You know... i never even thought ov it that way. If you look around, probably half the people here (well anywhere) spell stuff is it sounds... which, is pretty much what bad spelling is, isn't it? Not that its intentional...

I did not have a problem with it as it is a non issue but it did remind me of how bad my grammer used to be (on here) several years ago

Page 1 of 2 1 2