markrr Offline
super stock
markrr  Offline
super stock
M

S.W. Pennsylvania
Quote:

Quote:

As I understand it, the Road Runner is likely a factory appearing car and you prefer to keep it that way?
I was thinking that some sort of return line may help. Something designed to keep fresh fuel in a loop instead of heated fuel just sitting in the fuel bowls. I'm not sure of how you'd do it though.
Jeff

That will help when driving, I know of one member that has/had a fuel perk issue while running once everything got hot , but that's not going to do anything for most people problems ... gas boiling off after shutdown.

So running a return line from a fuel seperator between the pump and carb to the tank will not improve starting after the engine is off?
I was planning on trying this soon.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: markrr] #1431292
05/07/13 11:13 AM
05/07/13 11:13 AM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As I understand it, the Road Runner is likely a factory appearing car and you prefer to keep it that way?
I was thinking that some sort of return line may help. Something designed to keep fresh fuel in a loop instead of heated fuel just sitting in the fuel bowls. I'm not sure of how you'd do it though.
Jeff

That will help when driving, I know of one member that has/had a fuel perk issue while running once everything got hot , but that's not going to do anything for most people problems ... gas boiling off after shutdown.

So running a return line from a fuel seperator between the pump and carb to the tank will not improve starting after the engine is off?

I don't see how it would, it's not going to do anything to make the engine, and carb, cooler whether the engine is running or not.

Now if you leave an electric fuel pump running while the car is off, so it keeps putting fuel in the carb as it is boiling off, until the engine and carb cool down. I'm kidding of course ...

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: JohnRR] #1431293
05/07/13 11:18 AM
05/07/13 11:18 AM
S.W. Pennsylvania
M
markrr Offline
super stock
markrr  Offline
super stock
M

S.W. Pennsylvania
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff

I don't see how it would, it's not going to do anything to make the engine, and carb, cooler whether the engine is running or not.

Now if you leave an electric fuel pump running while the car is off, so it keeps putting fuel in the carb as it is boiling off, until the engine and carb cool down. I'm kidding of course ...

Interesting. I never thought about it this way.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: markrr] #1431294
05/07/13 11:29 AM
05/07/13 11:29 AM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff

Think about it, the issue is how the fuel reacts to the hot engine, and hot carb, that has fuel bowls open to the atmosphere. If there was a way to get the carb to always be say 75* then you won't have a problem.

Now if you cut a hole in your hood and mounted the carb to a phenolic spacer that put the carb and the air cleaner outside the engine compartment ...

kidding again ...

The fix is an electric fuel pump with a return regulator , fuel will be cooler because it's always flowing back to the tank , and you flip the switch to fill the fuel bowls before starting it.

Or switch to fuel injection which basically does the same thing , the fuel pump turnns on to charge the lines and there is a return regulator in the syatem to keep the fuel always moving and dumping the excess back to the tank.

Or find non ethanol fuel ...

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: JohnRR] #1431295
05/07/13 12:07 PM
05/07/13 12:07 PM
S.W. Pennsylvania
M
markrr Offline
super stock
markrr  Offline
super stock
M

S.W. Pennsylvania
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff

Think about it, the issue is how the fuel reacts to the hot engine, and hot carb, that has fuel bowls open to the atmosphere. If there was a way to get the carb to always be say 75* then you won't have a problem.

Now if you cut a hole in your hood and mounted the carb to a phenolic spacer that put the carb and the air cleaner outside the engine compartment ...

kidding again ...

The fix is an electric fuel pump with a return regulator , fuel will be cooler because it's always flowing back to the tank , and you flip the switch to fill the fuel bowls before starting it.

Or switch to fuel injection which basically does the same thing , the fuel pump turnns on to charge the lines and there is a return regulator in the syatem to keep the fuel always moving and dumping the excess back to the tank.

Or find non ethanol fuel ...

I understand what you're saying and agree.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: markrr] #1431296
05/07/13 07:31 PM
05/07/13 07:31 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
i'm going to try the gaskets i get from edelbrock. they were only $15 each, so not bad. if it doesn't to the trick, not sure what i'll do as i can't see anything that wouldn't mean heavy mods to all my existing stuff.

and yes, i do want to keep it stock appearing.

interesting thing though, this didn't happen on my old engine, which besides the internal components was almost exactly the same: iron block, aluminum heads, same headers, carbs and manifold.

the only difference...

the old engine had a vapor separator with a return line to the tank, and this one just has a regular fuel filter....

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: mickm] #1431297
05/07/13 10:35 PM
05/07/13 10:35 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I thought I heard of some guys running a fuel return line from the fuel regulator instead of the deadhead regulated system. That way fuel is always circulating when the eng is running as it maintains the fuel pressure by returning the excess fuel to the tank. I am considering that myself as right now I am still using the deadhead fuel press regulator set at 6 psi. Not sure how much it will help but it will keep some fuel flowing and may help keep it cooler. Course this is with an electric fuel pump. I actually got a fuel press regulator with the extra fitting for a return line but I am also still using a stock fuel tank and would have to make a port for the return line. Ron

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: mickm] #1431298
05/07/13 11:29 PM
05/07/13 11:29 PM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

interesting thing though, this didn't happen on my old engine, which besides the internal components was almost exactly the same: iron block, aluminum heads, same headers, carbs and manifold.

the only difference...

the old engine had a vapor separator with a return line to the tank, and this one just has a regular fuel filter....

Why did you remove the vapor separator then? I'd be putting that back first.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: JohnRR] #1431299
05/10/13 09:45 PM
05/10/13 09:45 PM
USA
S
SSAAHemiFan Offline
top fuel
SSAAHemiFan  Offline
top fuel
S

USA
Electric pump with a return line from the regulator help keep fuel cooler And keeps the pump cooler.

The ultimate setup is a electric pump with a return line to the tank directly from the fuel bowl itself. Not too hard with Holleys

With other Carb brand's it's not so easy but a return as close to the inlet as you could would be better than nothing.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: SSAAHemiFan] #1431300
05/11/13 12:17 AM
05/11/13 12:17 AM
Washington, Pa
R
runner12 Offline
enthusiast
runner12  Offline
enthusiast
R

Washington, Pa
Guys do everything you can to keep it cool I did but its the bad gas we are forced to buy with the ethanol. This may sound stupid but I run 93 with Lucas octane boost and it quit the one time I forgot it left me sitting

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: JohnRR] #1431301
05/14/13 02:31 AM
05/14/13 02:31 AM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

don't have a direct answer to that question. i have to elimatnate things one at a time though, so i will try that in one of the first rounds.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: mickm] #1431302
05/14/13 03:47 AM
05/14/13 03:47 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Jjs72D Offline
Deep in the closet
Jjs72D  Offline
Deep in the closet

Phoenix, AZ
How did you do to and from Van Nuys? With temps running at and above 100 degrees, I'm curious if you had more trouble.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: Jjs72D] #1431303
05/14/13 08:59 PM
05/14/13 08:59 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

How did you do to and from Van Nuys? With temps running at and above 100 degrees, I'm curious if you had more trouble.

engine ran great, and the problems with starting and sometimes idling was a little worse, even though the engine didn't over heat or anything.

i got the gaskets from edelbrock, and they are much thicker than i thought, so i'm not going to use them. they list another set that is .125, and also listed for heat issues, so i may give those a try.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: JohnRR] #1431304
05/14/13 10:03 PM
05/14/13 10:03 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

the only difference...

Ummm yea.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: Challenger 1] #1431305
05/15/13 01:15 PM
05/15/13 01:15 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the only difference...

Ummm yea.

i was under the impression the the separator doesn't make a very good filter. is that not the case?

anyway, how could that affect a percolating issue? gas is percolating in the fuel bowls, a long way from the separator.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: mickm] #1431306
05/15/13 01:29 PM
05/15/13 01:29 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the only difference...

Ummm yea.

i was under the impression the the separator doesn't make a very good filter. is that not the case?

anyway, how could that affect a percolating issue? gas is percolating in the fuel bowls, a long way from the separator.

I use them on both my cars and drive them a lot during the hot weather with no other filters. Returning the extra gas does help the fuel pump do it's job easier and push fuel up into the carb so it will restart when it real hot.

I have been using them for 7 years now and have driven in many extreme conditions with no problem.

I idled last week for a hour at a time cruising Daytona beach on the sand and on the streets under 10 mph for over hour easy 5 days in a row. Also Myrtle beach on the streets at near idle for well over a hour at a time all last week. And I was burning 10% ethanol fuel that I bought at the pumps down there. They work I'm here to tell you.

I drove for miles on the beach and in town at idle, my motor is also tuned pretty close because it never get's hot.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: Challenger 1] #1431307
05/15/13 02:00 PM
05/15/13 02:00 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

I use them on both my cars and drive them a lot during the hot weather with no other filters. Returning the extra gas does help the fuel pump do it's job easier and push fuel up into the carb so it will restart when it real hot.

what do you mean, you use them both? a filter and a separator?

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: mickm] #1431308
05/15/13 03:11 PM
05/15/13 03:11 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

what do you mean, you use them both? a filter and a separator?

No I only use the separator only.

I see no real problem with running a filter between the separator and your carb(s) except they act as heak sink imo, that's why I don't run one up by my motor.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: Challenger 1] #1431309
05/15/13 03:18 PM
05/15/13 03:18 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

No I only use the separator only.

I see no real problem with running a filter between the separator and your carb(s) except they act as heak sink imo, that's why I don't run one up by my motor.

i will give it a try and see if it changes anything.

i'm running 5/16" line from the pump to the carbs, but may need to put 3/8" from the pump to the T. guess i'll just need to play around with it and see what works.

Re: gas percolating issues [Re: mickm] #1431310
05/15/13 03:29 PM
05/15/13 03:29 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm sure 5/16" is enough for street strip car between the pump and carbs, imo.

It's how hard the pump has to work to suck the gas, so a larger 3/8" is best to feed the pump and 5/16 out is perfect.

Here's my 340 that I always talk about. Nothing fancy and has been like this since like 2005. I did replace all the rubber hoses last summer and there is a #57 carb jet in my return line to insure I don't return too much fuel. Been working real good for me. Up until last summer the car had 5/16" suction line on it. I installed new 3/8 suction/vent lines with a hemi/440-6 return through the sending unit last summer. Before that I used a homemade line to the sending unit. Now I have the complete 4 piece hemi line setup on my little 340 car.

Oh yea the fuel pump is nothing special either and has been dead reliable. I imagine some are saying "sure if you want to idle around forever".

I drove it at over 100 mph-4800-5800 rpm for like 5-6 miles at a time out at Bonneville in Utah. I kept trying to run it out of gas and I never could. It pulled and pulled. And it still had the original 5/16 suction line on it then.

Page 2 of 2 1 2