F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
what gets me is when someone has a issue with AMD metal on here
100% and EVERY time the finger is pointed towards the installer!...
the finger was at me!
it is what it is..
orig and nos, it is not!
your in total DENIAL, if you or anyone else thinks otherwise!
sure,i could of cut up that wheelhouse like cheese
to make it fit
no problem..
but
why should i have to?
if i wanted that,
i could of done that to what was there
and save the money in the first place!

i wish i could get some pics off my phone i have
comparing some AMD to some goodmark to original parts..
the goodmark is closer to orig then the AMD is..

the easy fix is save your money and buy orig metal..
i have one more car that has alot of AMD to put on it
so i might lighten up on them some
if it goes any easier

Re: AMD 1968 Charger rear quarterpanels fitment? [Re: flypaper] #1428542
05/11/13 10:32 PM
05/11/13 10:32 PM
NW Pennsylvania
A
areibel Offline
areibel  Offline
A

NW Pennsylvania
Well, if you read my post I never said it was as good as original, but it's available. ANd a lot cheaper!
I bought used sheetmetal once, from Texas. Spent $800 plus $150 shipping back in the 1995 for a quarter for my brother's 67 Sattellite. Yeah, it was rust free. But whoever pulled it trashed it, they must have cut the C pillar and then yanked it outward enough to start cutting (torching!) the rest- what a friggin mess. I probably had 20-25 hours just prepping it before I got to install it, then it was tweaked enough that I had to use jacks and 4x4's to force it in enough to align it.
And my current rot box has the pass quarter replaced. That installer looks like they used a stick welder to try to replicate spot welds, now they're just holes. And where they couldn't do that they brazed everthing together. Looks like that's going to be fun, and all that goes right back to someone who thought they could do panel replacement. I think I can salvage the door pillar but I can't find original metal anywhere close for the quarters. And I'm not going to take someone's word that it's OK, or it will be when I get it. I helped a friend on his 68, he did have a problem with the rear window channel and the valence caps but still no where near the grief that the other project was.
Like I said, it sounds like you know what you're doing, but you know as well as I do there's no way that it's as easy as it looks on a couple internet videos and that's what a lot of guys think. AMD isn't perfect, not by a long shot but there are a lot of cars they've made worth saving.

Re: AMD 1968 Charger rear quarterpanels fitment? [Re: areibel] #1428543
05/12/13 11:42 AM
05/12/13 11:42 AM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
I have used AMD quarters on a 69 Charger and I thought they were good.

My main complaint would be that the main center bodyline was sharper than on the original panels. That will take some primer and blocking to smooth it out.

What you are saying about the ends, where you had probelms, thats something that should have been dealt with prior to paint. Thats the metal man responsibility to make sure everythign is OK, and you certainly have to mock up EVERYTHING and make sure it fits right before even starting with paint.

Rear quarter panel "boomerangs", decklid, rear window chrome trim, vynil top trim, fit doors to align w the quarter, fit sidemarkers, heck even fit the rear side glass and window regulators and see if the window fits nice and rolls up and dpwn with no issues....Also fit the gas cap, etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2