Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Completely stupid and risky idea. After all the rubber has degraded enough that the belt was swapped out from its original use and purpose. It therefore has no tinsel strength and has stretched out because of its original usage. It is just a matter of time before complete failure and either serious or catastrophic injury. Just a bunch of Clowns and Knuckleheads would attempt to do something like this. And I do not care if you can post pics of them being used in such a fashion. It is still freakin...

Another unasked for opinion without any real experience. Complete with insults. Can you not state your position without name calling?

I'll ask you the same question I asked Kevin earlier; why is your inexperienced opinion more important than other people's actual experiences?

What makes you so sure that the belts are outside their useful life? What was their source? In other words, how did you arrive at that opinion? Like you did the other one?

To be perfectly honest, you know NOTHING of the condition or tensile strength of these belts.

Just to be clear here; I have not defended this use of these belts. I am just asking for people's REAL WORLD experiences with them. Good and bad. And it seems that the only people that are afraid of using serpentine belts to lift and pull are the ones that have no experience doing it what so ever. And they are also the same people that appear compelled to call names and sling insults.

Opinionated rants do not convince anyone of anything. That is just arguing, not sharing information.

Oh, and why did you capitalize clowns and knuckleheads?

I put CLOWNS and KNUCKLEHEADS in caps because it is quite evident that only those types of "Jerry Rigging" individuals will try such a maneuver. I think you answered that yourself by your other posts. Need I say more

Limited vocabulary, inability to comprehend, erroneous assumptions, ignorant assertions, and improper punctuation.

You do not need to say more.

But I bet you will.............

Master, again and still
Re: Using old serpentine belts to lift with....... [Re: DaveRS23] #1420690
04/18/13 10:17 PM
04/18/13 10:17 PM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
Geez why so rough on him? My grandmother re-used her tinsel on te christmas tree every year- must be some durability there right?

Re: Using old serpentine belts to lift with....... [Re: radar] #1420691
04/19/13 11:32 AM
04/19/13 11:32 AM
Franklin Co. Illinois
runinonmt Offline
mopar
runinonmt  Offline
mopar

Franklin Co. Illinois
Ya sure need a thick skin to jump in here.
Hi,Dave
Ron

In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on Jackson Browne-Running On Empty
Re: Using old serpentine belts to lift with....... [Re: DaveRS23] #1420692
04/19/13 12:59 PM
04/19/13 12:59 PM
Nunya CA
CR8CRSHR Offline
master
CR8CRSHR  Offline
master

Nunya CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Completely stupid and risky idea. After all the rubber has degraded enough that the belt was swapped out from its original use and purpose. It therefore has no tinsel strength and has stretched out because of its original usage. It is just a matter of time before complete failure and either serious or catastrophic injury. Just a bunch of Clowns and Knuckleheads would attempt to do something like this. And I do not care if you can post pics of them being used in such a fashion. It is still freakin...

Another unasked for opinion without any real experience. Complete with insults. Can you not state your position without name calling?

I'll ask you the same question I asked Kevin earlier; why is your inexperienced opinion more important than other people's actual experiences?

What makes you so sure that the belts are outside their useful life? What was their source? In other words, how did you arrive at that opinion? Like you did the other one?

To be perfectly honest, you know NOTHING of the condition or tensile strength of these belts.

Just to be clear here; I have not defended this use of these belts. I am just asking for people's REAL WORLD experiences with them. Good and bad. And it seems that the only people that are afraid of using serpentine belts to lift and pull are the ones that have no experience doing it what so ever. And they are also the same people that appear compelled to call names and sling insults.

Opinionated rants do not convince anyone of anything. That is just arguing, not sharing information.

Oh, and why did you capitalize clowns and knuckleheads?

I put CLOWNS and KNUCKLEHEADS in caps because it is quite evident that only those types of "Jerry Rigging" individuals will try such a maneuver. I think you answered that yourself by your other posts. Need I say more

Limited vocabulary, inability to comprehend, erroneous assumptions, ignorant assertions, and improper punctuation.

You do not need to say more.

But I bet you will.............

I loose that bet.... Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!! I just re-read your comments about my lack of and having a limited vocabulary, inability to comprehend, erroneous assumptions, ignorant assertions, and improper punctuation. The last one really caught my eye. One might want to check his own statements out before asserting their perfection in the writing and comprehension skills. Seems that one might want to procure some much needed remedial education to that implied synopsis...

Re: Using old serpentine belts to lift with....... [Re: CR8CRSHR] #1420693
04/19/13 04:10 PM
04/19/13 04:10 PM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
It's all in good fun until you lose an eye... or foot.

I for one don't take anything too seriously except the wealth of experience and willingness to help around here. I think this thread went from answering the question to an honest debate to screwing around a while ago!

Re: Using old serpentine belts to lift with....... [Re: radar] #1420694
04/19/13 04:22 PM
04/19/13 04:22 PM
Nunya CA
CR8CRSHR Offline
master
CR8CRSHR  Offline
master

Nunya CA
Quote:

It's all in good fun until you lose an eye... or foot.

I for one don't take anything too seriously except the wealth of experience and willingness to help around here. I think this thread went from answering the question to an honest debate to screwing around a while ago!

I totally agree. May be I was being somewhat over baring about my position but I am always quite concerned about "Safety" and doing things in that manner is all. Using items outside their intended use has always seemed rather dangerous to say the least. Do you think a retraction would help????

Re: Using old serpentine belts to lift with....... [Re: DaveRS23] #1420695
04/19/13 05:17 PM
04/19/13 05:17 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Belts have enough tensile strength to pick up an engine. But, the belts can easily be cut by a sharp edge, especially when under a heavy load. So they aren't recommended for lifting.

Re: Using old serpentine belts to lift with....... [Re: AndyF] #1420696
04/19/13 05:30 PM
04/19/13 05:30 PM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
Yes you can, however I prefer V-belts. Moving bare blocks around with v-belts for years. My machine shop does the same. Obviously the belts require inspection prior to use. If you are really paranoid double them up for "safety".

Re: Using old serpentine belts to lift with....... [Re: Jeremiah] #1420697
04/19/13 10:13 PM
04/19/13 10:13 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
If your machine shop has an incident using one where a worker gets injured, he will find out exactly why you don't use unrated rigging for hoisting.

Kevin

Re: Using old serpentine belts to lift with....... [Re: Twostick] #1420698
04/19/13 10:30 PM
04/19/13 10:30 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
first you have to have common sense---you dont pick anything up then crawl around under it or put your apendages in places where the suspended object can fall unless you are at work and are looking for a work comp claim---i have picked up dozens of dana 60 fronts at junkyards with the serpentine belts and it works great--- when i found a cummins motor at the pickapart i pulled the head first with a s-belt then pulled the block with another belt --first you look at the belt and inspect carefully because it is an important (tool)--and you dont tie it around sharp things because then you are the tool (the not too bright tool)in the 20 or so times i used an s-belt there havent been any failures and i havent been the star of any jackass features....bob

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3