closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

Quote:

Normally the stock heavy spring has a slot to speed the advance up a bit at lower rpm. I find this type of spring doesn't work very well when you limit the mechanical advance. In my case I have mine limited to 14 degrees. If I used the slotted spring, it would use up the slot and never get into the spring.

This is why I never understood why people toss the heavy spring and replace it with a light one. You are actually slowing where the curve begins compared to stock, although total curve will come in faster. You either need to either toss the heavy slotted spring and run just one light spring or change both springs to a lighter spring. But people think the timing will bounce around/come in at idle. If it didn't with the slotted spring its not going to with just the lighter factory spring.

Exactly. What I found on the machine is that if you didn't use a light spring on one side, the advance would start way too late. I have a very light spring on one side and a heavy spring on the other. This got the timing to start at a decent 1500 rpm (decent for a street driven car), and max advance of 14 degrees at 2600 RPM.

Re: Distributor Springs needed and some info [Re: moparrulzzz] #1417497
04/11/13 11:43 AM
04/11/13 11:43 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

BB not sure I do know there is a small block points dist out there somewhere, would they work?

Yes , but shortening the slots may render the heavy spring useless .

You shouldn't have too tough a time finding the new distributor for sale , I've bought at least 2 of them slightly used in the last year .

Page 2 of 2 1 2