L
Lefty Offline OP
master
Lefty  Offline OP
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote:

They are an integral rotor hat system correct? Which I do not prefer. Regarding the bearing question, depending on previous point, at least its steel hub, I have much concern over the common Wilwood alum hub/small bearing/Alter K solutions, including the 73+ bearing stuff style alum hubs, for any big car big tire track use. I do it and don't like it, but there really is no more robust system, until stepping up to maybe impala or Howe/Stock car hubs. Not having road salt issues in my area, I don't have a lot of concern with the seal issue, wisely or not.

Come on you guys. Don't poo poo stuff you really have no idea about. Nobody on this board is a experienced brake engineer - right?

Wilwood has been making brakes for a long long time and actually does have brake engineers working for them, not just people guessing.

This is the forum about high performance track ready Mopars, so we aren't talking about cars that will be driven in snow, mud etc.

I buy kit's from Dr Diff too. His rear cobra kit is the best out their imo as you don't need green bearings which do have a history of failures. The parking brake is great too as it's a bolt in with his replacement cable.

This kit from Wilwood is just ANOTHER option and you should be happy about it. We need more stuff like this from the aftermarket. The parts in the kit are available online from many vendors and the calipers can be rebuilt. There are many pad compounds to select from as well. The future is here, and I suspect if you drove a car with that kit you might be enlightened.

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: Lefty] #1414222
04/05/13 09:20 PM
04/05/13 09:20 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

This is the forum about high performance track ready Mopars, so we aren't talking about cars that will be driven in snow, mud etc.

Really?

Cars were made to be drive, so I drive them. Regardless of weather.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: Supercuda] #1414223
04/05/13 09:50 PM
04/05/13 09:50 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I also don't care for pulling my car apart for inspections every couple hundred miles.My garage is in an alley as well. Having to do a bunch of constant maintanence takes a whole bunch of fun out of it for me.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: Lefty] #1414224
04/05/13 10:37 PM
04/05/13 10:37 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

They are an integral rotor hat system correct? Which I do not prefer. Regarding the bearing question, depending on previous point, at least its steel hub, I have much concern over the common Wilwood alum hub/small bearing/Alter K solutions, including the 73+ bearing stuff style alum hubs, for any big car big tire track use. I do it and don't like it, but there really is no more robust system, until stepping up to maybe impala or Howe/Stock car hubs. Not having road salt issues in my area, I don't have a lot of concern with the seal issue, wisely or not.

Come on you guys. Don't poo poo stuff you really have no idea about. Nobody on this board is a experienced brake engineer - right?

Wilwood has been making brakes for a long long time and actually does have brake engineers working for them, not just people guessing.

I buy kit's from Dr Diff too. His rear cobra kit is the best out their imo as you don't need green bearings which do have a history of failures. The parking brake is great too as it's a bolt in with his replacement cable.

This kit from Wilwood is just ANOTHER option and you should be happy about it. We need more stuff like this from the aftermarket. The parts in the kit are available online from many vendors and the calipers can be rebuilt. There are many pad compounds to select from as well. The future is here, and I suspect if you drove a car with that kit you might be enlightened.

Since I am also admittedly not a mind reader while we are on topic of things us moparters are not , let me ask this question, care to share a clearer picture of what my quoted reply has to do with "poo pooing", experienced brake engineers, cars I already drive with Wilwood brakes, and my settle disdain for the premise sealed calipers are a must on our cars? I think you missed my entire point, or maybe not.

Let me add before anybody get s their feathers ruffled, I first saw the Wilwood super brake deal advertised about 10? days ago, it looked good and nice, I tried to see a catch, and the integral hat killed my interest, however I think for many it would be a big step up, and the integral hat is only an issue in certain cases, not most IMO. I have had Wilwwods for over 15? years on my cars. I have spent numerous calls on the phone with their tech people and engineers when I can find them at the annual PRI shows. I as already posted don't care about sealed calipers and sated why, and will admit that one day i might change my mind, and other often quoted gurus here on moparts think i am wrong, but I'm OK with that. Different Strokes. Poo pooing is IMO when crossing the line and just sour grapes, a mistake I try to avoid. And experienced engineers "guess" all day long, hopefully their guesses are more on target then the rest of us, but not alweys.

Last edited by jcc; 04/05/13 10:51 PM.
Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: DoctorDiff] #1414225
04/05/13 11:44 PM
04/05/13 11:44 PM
M
moparAL Offline
pro stock
moparAL  Offline
pro stock
M

Doctor Diff,

In regards about your 13 inch Mercedes rotor Mopar brake kit. The Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rotor that you mentioned, is it a stock Baer piece or does it have to be modified to fit your kit?

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: jcc] #1414226
04/06/13 12:04 AM
04/06/13 12:04 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

.... and the integral hat killed my interest, ...

Because the intergal hat designs are heavier? Or/and other reasons?

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: moparAL] #1414227
04/06/13 02:28 AM
04/06/13 02:28 AM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
The Baer Eradispeed rotor is a direct bolt on if I change the register size on my hub.

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: autoxcuda] #1414228
04/06/13 02:38 AM
04/06/13 02:38 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I have no specific number's to back up that thinking, although it is something I believe, less flexibility on rotor duty options like weight, vanes, curved/straight, material, replacement ease and the option of floating rotors. Others have mentioned less warpage but haven't opinion on that based on experience.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: DoctorDiff] #1414229
04/09/13 12:15 AM
04/09/13 12:15 AM
PA
J
Jack Zupan Offline
Jack Zupan  Offline
J

PA
Quote:

Hi Damon,

My new kit includes all new parts: Plated, drilled/and/or/slotted 13 x 1.25" Mercedes rotors, fully machined forged aluminum hubs, red powder-coated radial mount Brembo style calipers, semi-metallic pads, billet aluminum caliper brackets, Timken bearings and DOT stainless flex hoses set up for A/B/E body disc knuckles. $1250

Does that mean if you have drum brakes you have to replace the knuckles in order to go to disc brakes?

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: Supercuda] #1414230
04/09/13 09:14 AM
04/09/13 09:14 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Quote:

Quote:

Really?

Cars were made to be drive, so I drive them. Regardless of weather.

Thank you! And if they were on this forum Scott Harvey and Ralph Beckman amongst a host of others would thank you too.

7660769-sno1202a.jpg (54 downloads)
Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood [Re: Lefty] #1414231
04/11/13 08:29 AM
04/11/13 08:29 AM
None
71rm23 Offline
master
71rm23  Offline
master

None
Quote:

This is a fantastic deal. I've equipped several Mopars with big Wilwood front brakes and for 6 piston calipers and the big rotors this is at least $500-800 less than what you would pay normally.

They have kits for Mopar drum spindles as well as The Magnumforce drop spindles(Aspen).

http://www.wilwood.com/Promo/Promo1.aspx

Not for a 71 B-Body?

Page 2 of 2 1 2