03/08/13 09:26 AM
03/08/13 09:26 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
have you checked the engines or racing section here? You can find good deals on used parts, I bet you could find 1/2 of what you need for 1/3-1/2 retail.

Re: 440 roller cam?? [Re: 2boltmain] #1398182
03/08/13 03:47 PM
03/08/13 03:47 PM
A gulag near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

A gulag near you.
Quote:

On a mild hyd roller (220-230 deg) Could stamped steel rockers with made to length pushrods be used? I see the least expensive trustworthy adj rocker arms are about $400.

Depends on the spring pressure but I don't see why not ... but I would get a good set of adjustable pushrods once you determine the length, that way you can accurately set the preload on each lifter. I got a set of them from Smith bros. for about $200+/-.

I've seen enough carnage pictures on the internet that cheap chinese junk rockers are not to be considered , I'd run old crane ductiles before using CCJ rockers .

Re: 440 roller cam?? [Re: JohnRR] #1398183
03/11/13 11:14 PM
03/11/13 11:14 PM
A gulag near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

A gulag near you.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When is some bright boy going to figure out how to use the smallblock hydraulic rollers in a bigblock?
there's got to be a profit waiting to be made there!
R.

I've mocked that up. The SB factory rollers will work in the Mopar (World) block with some minor mods. It is a low cost way to run a hyd roller since those lifters are dirt cheap. If Mopar Performance would add the machine work to the block so it works right out of the box then it would be a more popular setup.

I'm betting that the poster was thinking of OEM blocks, not a big-$$ aftermarket block.

correct. stock 77-440 block.

my 318 is already roller cam so I think I will get a roller whiplash for it and a slider whiplash for my 440 with matching springs to get the choppy chop chop fix with both trucks.

Yes scratchy was talking a stock block , I don't know if there is enough lifter boss to make up something on a stock block but the new $$$ blocks have a lot of material around the lifter bores.

I just ordered a couple of lifters so I can see what needs to be done, I may put a hyd. roller in my Hemi if I can make the lifters work. I'll also play around with them in a 383 .

I got 2 lifters today and these are not going to work in a any stock B/RB wedge or hemi without some seriously funky addition to the lifter bore. The oil hole that goes inside the lifter is not in the oil band like a flat tappet hyd. lifter, the lifter is notched above the oil band and the hole is in that notch. Granted I was running the lifter on a .600 lift roller cam I have but that notch and oil hole go way above the top of the lifter boss. The only way I can see using it would be to bush the block and have the bushings stick a 1/2" of so above the lifter bosses , that kind of defeats the low buck nature of this swap.

I compared the stock roller to a comp solid roller I have and the oil band is in the same place and it stays below the top of the lifter boss even on this fairly big cam.

I'm waiting on some dog bones to see what I need to do to make it work on a late MP block , not a World , these have large lifter bosses and would probably be ok.

Re: 440 roller cam?? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1398184
03/12/13 02:48 AM
03/12/13 02:48 AM
pennsylvania
poboyengineering Offline
mopar
poboyengineering  Offline
mopar

pennsylvania
Quote:

You'll also need and electric fuel pump and regulator.

the snout on a roller is the same as on any other. ask your cam supplier, im sure the mechanical pump works. yes, you will need adjustable rockers, special length pushrods ( dont order them until you have EVERYTHING else mocked up, and then install an adjustable pushrod and get the right length the first time. damhik.

It may be ugly, but it sure is slow.

Girls comb their hair in rear view mirrors and the boys try to look so hard....
Re: 440 roller cam?? [Re: poboyengineering] #1398185
03/12/13 04:13 AM
03/12/13 04:13 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

You'll also need and electric fuel pump and regulator.

the snout on a roller is the same as on any other. ask your cam supplier, im sure the mechanical pump works. yes, you will need adjustable rockers, special length pushrods ( dont order them until you have EVERYTHING else mocked up, and then install an adjustable pushrod and get the right length the first time. damhik.

Not neccessarily true on the fuel pump eccentric on all roller cams , you have to make sure there on there to start with. OP, you will need a brass tip fuel pump pushrod also to run the mechanical fuel pump to avoid damaging the cam or pushrod is what I have been told by several cam companys

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: 440 roller cam?? [Re: JohnRR] #1398186
03/12/13 04:42 PM
03/12/13 04:42 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When is some bright boy going to figure out how to use the smallblock hydraulic rollers in a bigblock?
R.

I've mocked that up. The SB factory rollers will work in the Mopar (World) block with some minor mods. It is a low cost way to run a hyd roller since those lifters are dirt cheap. If Mopar Performance would add the machine work to the block so it works right out of the box then it would be a more popular setup.

Andy does the last casting of the pre-World block have the same type of bosses ?? I should buy a pair of lifters and see what is involved

I think the pre-World block had even taller bores than the World block. It might still work but you would need to measure it. The World block appeared to me to be just about perfect for the SB hyd roller lifters. Just a little bit of machine work and a dogbone would drop right on. Same thing with the Mopar SB race blocks. Those could also be easily retrofitted with dogbones for hyd roller lifters.

Re: 440 roller cam?? [Re: AndyF] #1398187
03/12/13 04:59 PM
03/12/13 04:59 PM
A gulag near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

A gulag near you.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

R.

Andy does the last casting of the pre-World block have the same type of bosses ?? I should buy a pair of lifters and see what is involved

I think the pre-World block had even taller bores than the World block. It might still work but you would need to measure it. The World block appeared to me to be just about perfect for the SB hyd roller lifters. Just a little bit of machine work and a dogbone would drop right on. Same thing with the Mopar SB race blocks. Those could also be easily retrofitted with dogbones for hyd roller lifters.

Thanks , I'm going to drag out my Hemi block and check it out. I was looking at alternatives to the mopar dog bones , I don't think I have a smallblock cam so I don't know how much different the lifter spacing is between the big and small block. I see that the Ford smallblock dog bones are flat and open ended. I need to find out what the size of a Ford lifter is compared to a Mopar lifter to see if the Ford dog bone is a viable alternative ?

Page 2 of 2 1 2