10/23/08 08:07 PM
10/23/08 08:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Have you gone thru this Service Bulletin? This is a heat and vibration sensitive area.
I would replace the connector and CPS just to have piece of mind. This problem may not always set a code.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1992/18-04-92.htm

Last edited by Stevo; 10/23/08 08:09 PM.
Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: 10sec440] #139796
10/23/08 10:23 PM
10/23/08 10:23 PM
Arkansas
G
gtx Offline
gtx  Offline
G

Arkansas
My 92 5.2L ramcharger would some times die when I pulled up to a stoplight. The converter was not unlocking. But the truck would always start right away without doing anything. I don't think it is the converter. I would say fuel issue.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: 10sec440] #139797
10/28/08 10:48 PM
10/28/08 10:48 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline OP
master
moparmojo  Offline OP
master

missouri, USA
Ok, bit of an update. Today, I needed the truck to pick up some molding. So I started it up and let it run for a minute or two before I got it. I put it in reverse and could here the truck start to sound weaker, so I also applied the bread and sure enough it died. So this time, I put it in park and pop the hood. I take off the cap and depress the valve on the fuel rail. I would say maybe a tablespoon or so of fuel jumped out, but that was it, even though the valve was depressed. I went around to the cab and tried to restart. It would only spin over. Then I again tried to floor the gas pedal. It started a few seconds later. I then put it in drive and tried again to brake the truck and it got quiet and died. I again tried to depress the vavle on the fuel rail and again only a tablespoon amount of fuel shot out. No more. Not knowing if this was the correct amount or not, I restarted the truck (gas pedal to floor method) and while it was running depressed the fuel rail valve. A lot more shot out, so I stopped.
After this the truck would not die again. So I went to the hardware store and came back. While re-reading the post I noticed you asked for me to leave the key in the ON position. I cannot recall if it was in the ON position or not. Not sure if any of what I did would help diagnos the issue.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: moparmojo] #139798
10/28/08 11:45 PM
10/28/08 11:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Check the computer for error codes first. This is a logical first step in the diagnostic procedure. Fuel pump/pressure problems will not set a code but lets make sure there aren't other problems too. The 2 fuel squirts you refer to sound about right but that does not test the pressure. First off when it wont start, turn the key off and back to on and listen for the fuel pump in the tank to hum for 2 to 3 seconds. No hum=no start. Electric fuel pumps do strange things when their bearings start to freeze up, like no starts and poor performance. This is why you should always keep at least a 1/4 tank of fuel to help cool the fuel pump. When it doesn't start you can also try a shot of starting fluid in the throttle body, if it starts and dies then you know you have a fuel problem. Just went thru this on a 91 Mercury, replaced the pump and all is well.

PROCEDURE

Turn ignition switch ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON in less than 5 seconds, observe the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. The Malfunction indicator lamp should flash a series of codes. Flashes will be separated by short or long pauses. A long pause indicates a change from "tens" to "ones" position, or a change to next code.

For example a single flash followed by a long pause and then 2 more flashes separated by a short pause and followed by a long pause would indicate a code 12.

FLASH........FLASH...FLASH........

A code 55 will be displayed at the end of the test.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: moparmojo] #139799
10/29/08 12:07 AM
10/29/08 12:07 AM
Mission BC
10sec440 Offline
pro stock
10sec440  Offline
pro stock

Mission BC
There should be 40 or 50 psi at the fuel rail. If there was you would know it, doesn't sound like you do to me. Now you have narrowed it down you should put a guage on it to verify. If you in fact don't have pressure I would check for power at the pump while cranking to be sure it's the pump. If you have power you need a pump, no power you have an electrical problem.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: 10sec440] #139800
10/29/08 12:58 AM
10/29/08 12:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He needs to check for code 11 first in the computer. If there is a Crank or Cam position sensor problem this will drop the ASD/Fuel Pump relays and cut off power to parts of the igniton system and fuel pump, thus cranking and checking for voltage will show 0 after about 3 seconds. The fuel pump will not run if the computer does not see pulses from BOTH sensors.

Fuel Pump Relay Description and Operation
Relay is mounted in engine compartment, on the left inner fender.

PURPOSE

Relay supplies battery voltage to fuel pump and oxygen sensor heater element when energized by Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

OPERATION

PCM energizes fuel pump relay by supplying relay ground, when ignition switch is in START or RUN position and PCM is receiving a reference signal from distributor.

When PCM does not receive reference signal from ignition system, (indicating engine is not running), then the PCM interrupts relay ground circuit and no voltage is supplied to fuel pump, ignition coil, or oxygen sensor heater element.

PCM controls fuel pump relay and Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay simultaneously, through same ground circuit.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please #139801
11/01/08 01:06 AM
11/01/08 01:06 AM
Mission BC
10sec440 Offline
pro stock
10sec440  Offline
pro stock

Mission BC
Quote:

He needs to check for code 11 first in the computer. If there is a Crank or Cam position sensor problem this will drop the ASD/Fuel Pump relays and cut off power to parts of the igniton system and fuel pump, thus cranking and checking for voltage will show 0 after about 3 seconds. The fuel pump will not run if the computer does not see pulses from BOTH sensors.

Overcomplicated, all you have to do is check for power at the pump and if there is no power work toward the front. Chances are he will have power and need a pump. If he was a tech and had a scanner, voltmeter and service manual the other way would be the way to go.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: 10sec440] #139802
11/01/08 01:37 AM
11/01/08 01:37 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Overcomplicated, all you have to do is check for power at the pump and if there is no power work toward the front. Chances are he will have power and need a pump. If he was a tech and had a scanner, voltmeter and service manual the other way would be the way to go.

There wont be any power at the pump after 2 to 3 seconds after turning the key to on!! The electric pump does not recieve power all the time, if it did and you had an accident then it would spill gas all over the place and cause a fire. Checking for codes is simple and the first part of diagnostics. Using the key to retieve codes is very simple. There IS NOT Power to the fuel pump all the time...read up on the theory. With no power there due to the enginnering design your diagnostic tip is useless. No pulses from crank or cam position sensor and there is NO power at the pump.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please #139803
11/01/08 01:46 AM
11/01/08 01:46 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The theory again....

Description and Operation

Relay is mounted in engine compartment, on the left inner fender.

PURPOSE

Relay supplies battery voltage to fuel pump and oxygen sensor heater element when energized by Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

OPERATION

PCM energizes fuel pump relay by supplying relay ground, when ignition switch is in START or RUN position and PCM is receiving a reference signal from distributor.

When PCM does not receive reference signal from ignition system, (indicating engine is not running), then the PCM interrupts relay ground circuit and no voltage is supplied to fuel pump, ignition coil, or oxygen sensor heater element.

PCM controls fuel pump relay and Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay simultaneously, through same ground circuit.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please #139804
11/01/08 09:38 PM
11/01/08 09:38 PM
Mission BC
10sec440 Offline
pro stock
10sec440  Offline
pro stock

Mission BC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There wont be any power at the pump after 2 to 3 seconds after turning the key to on!! The electric pump does not recieve power all the time, if it did and you had an accident then it would spill gas all over the place and cause a fire. Checking for codes is simple and the first part of diagnostics. Using the key to retieve codes is very simple. There IS NOT Power to the fuel pump all the time...read up on the theory. With no power there due to the enginnering design your diagnostic tip is useless. No pulses from crank or cam position sensor and there is NO power at the pump.

Oh I know the theory, I have 22 years of Chrysler training to prove it. Again, if you read my earlier posts, you have to check for power WHILE CRANKING.I was trying to help the guy with his problem the EASIEST WAY with very little equipment. If he has power at the pump while cranking he need not look any further.I am done here,mojo if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: 10sec440] #139805
11/02/08 12:05 AM
11/02/08 12:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh I know the theory, I have 22 years of Chrysler training to prove it. Again, if you read my earlier posts, you have to check for power WHILE CRANKING.I was trying to help the guy with his problem the EASIEST WAY with very little equipment. If he has power at the pump while cranking he need not look any further.I am done here,mojo if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Once again...you will NOT have 12 volts at the pump after 2 to 3 seconds IF the Cam Position Sensor or the Crank Position sensor is faulty while cranking! Read the theory again! The fuel pump relay ONLY supplies voltage to the fuel pump when the computer sees pulses from the sensors, if no pulse(as in bad sensor) that means NO voltage. So why check for voltage on a circuit that may not have it there by engineering design? The easiest way to do this is to use the ignition key and check for error codes first. Thats not too hard is it? Dont need a scanner for this. With your theory that the fuel pump gets voltage all the time would also mean that if injectors are pulsing along with the fuel pump running and there is no spark the engine would hydrolock with fuel! No way.
Now you could jumper the relay to test the wiring back to the fuel pump but then you have to be certain that 12 volts is actually leaving the relay before you go back to the fuel pump.

To the original poster, sorry for side tracking the problem but you must receive the correct information or you will be chasing ghosts.

I also have experience of 39 years.

Regards-Stevo

When PCM does not receive reference signal from ignition system, (indicating engine is not running), then the PCM interrupts relay ground circuit and no voltage is supplied to fuel pump , ignition coil, or oxygen sensor heater element.

Last edited by Stevo; 11/02/08 12:16 AM.
Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please #139806
11/02/08 01:07 AM
11/02/08 01:07 AM
Mission BC
10sec440 Offline
pro stock
10sec440  Offline
pro stock

Mission BC
Stevo - I am not disagreeing with you. I was just trying to simplify it for the guy as he obviously doesn't have 22 or 39 years of training or whatever.Its also evident he doesn't have alot of diagnostic equipment.The key on off 3 times thing can be quite confusing to explain if you've never seen it done before. If he checks for power at the pump while cranking one of two things are going to happen:1)- he will have no power at any time and will KNOW he has an electrical problem whether its a cam/crank sensor, PCM, fuel pump relay or whatever,or 2)-he will have 2 or 3 seconds of power and know that its most likely the pump itself. You know yourself if he has 2 or 3 seconds of (power at the pump and) pump pressure it should at least fire for a couple of seconds.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: 10sec440] #139807
11/02/08 11:02 AM
11/02/08 11:02 AM
Ontario
5537SG Offline
super gas
5537SG  Offline
super gas

Ontario
The way I read it is both you guys are saying the same thing and both are correct, if the PCM doesnt get the crank reference within 3-5 seconds after key turns on, then the pump +12V (from the relay) will be cut off.

accessing the on board diagnostics wont do much unless its stored the code 11.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: 5537SG] #139808
11/02/08 11:08 AM
11/02/08 11:08 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

The problem is the poster of this thread has done nothing to properly verify a few simple items. He needs to check for codes and verify actual fuel pressure when its acting up. Duh..................

Last edited by NITROUSN; 11/02/08 11:11 AM.
Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: NITROUSN] #139809
11/02/08 12:15 PM
11/02/08 12:15 PM
Ontario
5537SG Offline
super gas
5537SG  Offline
super gas

Ontario
he does need to do that. I think we all know it too. At this point he may consider spending a few dollars on a fuel pressure guage and rig something up. Nothing fancy, just a cheap guage and some hose or whatever that wont leak. No need for a fancy test kit to do this.

Ive driven many miles with the fuel pressure guage propped up under the windshield wiper of countless cars.

fuel pressure should be one of the first things checked with drivability problems.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: 5537SG] #139810
11/02/08 01:23 PM
11/02/08 01:23 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Quote:

he does need to do that. I think we all know it too. At this point he may consider spending a few dollars on a fuel pressure guage and rig something up. Nothing fancy, just a cheap guage and some hose or whatever that wont leak. No need for a fancy test kit to do this.

Ive driven many miles with the fuel pressure guage propped up under the windshield wiper of countless cars.

fuel pressure should be one of the first things checked with drivability problems.

Exactly................

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: 5537SG] #139811
11/02/08 03:22 PM
11/02/08 03:22 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline OP
master
moparmojo  Offline OP
master

missouri, USA
You're correct. I am slowly trying to diagnos the problem. And for the record, I consider myself a parts changer. No father son training, just sort of self taught. Electrical problems are usually my worst issues.
I did play with the truck the other day. Hard to diagnos because it does not always act up or die. I definately feel it is temp related. When it is colder out, it seem more likely this will occur. But not after it is warmed up for a long while. I got the truck to die, so I checked for codes. The only code I got was #12 & #55. I did have the battery out the other day while cleaning the terminals. Next I will go get a fuel pressure gauge and try to get it hooked up for more info on this issue. I appreciate all the input, the dealer has had the truck 3 times and failed to correctly fix the problem. As I said before, I spent a bit of money with them trying to get it fixed, so I did not want to go back to them again. Can someone tell me where I will need to hook the fuel pressure gauge to?

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: moparmojo] #139812
11/02/08 04:20 PM
11/02/08 04:20 PM
Dirty South, MS
mopowered Offline
mopar
mopowered  Offline
mopar

Dirty South, MS
Connect the fuel pressure gauge to the fuel pressure test port on the drivers side fuel rail - it is pointed straight up and is located just to the rear of the middle (around the area where the rail gets it's fuel feed from). I recommend a long hose where you can see the gauge while in the cab - I pinch mine between the wiper and windshield with it's face oriented so that I can see/read the gauge while cranking & driving.

BTW - I had the exact same problem (dies in certain spot only) with an '89 Ramcharger. It turned out to be a fuel return line that was getting pinched but only under certain circumstances (when enough fuel vapor would build up in the plastic tank causing it to expand). The motor would idle fine but would die as soon as any load was placed on it = not enough fuel under certain conditions.

The fuel gauge on the windshield showed this perfectly.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please [Re: moparmojo] #139813
11/02/08 04:31 PM
11/02/08 04:31 PM
Mi,U.S.A.
M
mike s Offline
top fuel
mike s  Offline
top fuel
M

Mi,U.S.A.
Fuel pump problem is very likely. Had a couple do very similar things.Check the fuel pressure, should be 40 with Sbec III.Very rare but it is also possible that the fuel press reg might be bad.(it's on the rail)BTW 3.9L and 5.2L in 92 were both SMPI w/return fuel.All Magnums 1993 3.9L,5.2L,5.9L and up were returnless fuel system.Fuel press regulated in the tank by the pump.

Leave the gun.......take the Cannoli's....Mike
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3