Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1395071
03/01/13 05:33 PM
03/01/13 05:33 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

That in itself annoys me when I hear the fan on my fwd daily driver kick on/off at idle when the a/c or defrost is on.

You realize how silly that sounds?

You don't like hearing the fan kick in to increase the compressor's efficiency?

The Hooziewhatsit fan controller for the MB fan moderates the speed so it maintains a temp and only speeds up if necessary.
To me, that would be a good sound to hear. You know your systems are in good working order.

There are other electric fan controllers on the market that will work with common electric fans to moderate the fan speed.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1395072
03/01/13 06:00 PM
03/01/13 06:00 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

I've grabbed clutch fans from the junkyard for 15 bucks. Of course you can also grab electric fans there for the same price. Even if the price is a wash between the two, I don't see a real benefit to the electric fan. You still have to hook it up to a temperature switch or mickey mouse it with a toggle switch. Then you get to watch your temp needle swing up and down as you hear the fan cycle on and off. That in itself annoys me when I hear the fan on my fwd daily driver kick on/off at idle when the a/c or defrost is on.

The benefit of going to an electric fan is you don't have the HP loss inherant with the mechanical units. If electric fans serve no benefit, then modern cars would still be running mechanical fans.

If you buy a quality setup, you will have the relays that will cycle the fans on or off when the temp is high or A/C is engaged. I put a trinary A/C switch so the fans will come on when they are really needed, not just when the A/C is on....

Also if you engine is worth a damn, you won't hear the fans when running. My fans are pretty loud and the only way I can tell they are running inside the car is looking at the ammeter and that's still a guess.

I agree with your point that if you have a working mechanical setup already, it may not be worth it to jump to elecric "just beacause you can" but for those of us who don't have the parts already or want to get rid of the of parasitic loss, it is a valid option.

Your temp needle will only swing up/down if you have a too-hi temp sender unit for the fans in. My fans kick on when the needle gets about 1/3rd up from the bottom and hold the temp about steady there...

A properly researched and planned electic setup will work just as good as a mechanical fan and save some HP. I also know there are PLENTY of people here and all over who would spend waaaay more than the $200-$300 it costs for the fans setup to get an effective increase of 15-20HP without otherwise adversely affecting the motor!

EDIT** The article above shows a peak 22 rwhp loss on a SBF. I could imagine this would be more significant on a higher power BB. I'd say for picking up 20+ rear wheel HP, yeah that's probably worth it for a lot of people....

Last edited by cjskotni; 03/01/13 06:43 PM.
Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: cjskotni] #1395073
03/01/13 07:09 PM
03/01/13 07:09 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I use the stock fan and waterpump setup with this shroud I adapted to fit my aluminum rad. But in very hot days when idleing for 5 minutes or more and not moving it would creep up to 200 to 210. So I added this electric fan and put it on a toggle switch which does help keep it below 200 in traffic. And of course it blows air in thru the rad to assist the stock setup. Ron

Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: cjskotni] #1395074
03/02/13 02:37 AM
03/02/13 02:37 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

The benefit of going to an electric fan is you don't have the HP loss inherant with the mechanical units. If electric fans serve no benefit, then modern cars would still be running mechanical fans.

I think modern cars come with the electric because they are transverse fwd, a little hard to do a mechanical fan there. If modern v8's are running them, I bet it's only for the .1mpg increase they may see on a dyno when they're trying to hit their CAFE standards.

To me, the added expense and effort to get that extra 7hp and .1 mpg isn't worth it. Not to mention the hacked, cobbled look I have seen some electric fan conversions have.

Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: feets] #1395075
03/02/13 02:39 AM
03/02/13 02:39 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

That in itself annoys me when I hear the fan on my fwd daily driver kick on/off at idle when the a/c or defrost is on.

I could not care less how it sounds to you. To me, I hear the electric fan kick on, the engine rpm dips for a second and the motor slightly stumbles. I can feel, see and hear it. Probably not an issue on a v8 but it does put a load on the motor when it kicks on.

Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1395076
03/02/13 03:22 AM
03/02/13 03:22 AM
Central Valley, CA.
Quicksilver440 Offline
I Live Here
Quicksilver440  Offline
I Live Here

Central Valley, CA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I could not care less how it sounds to you. To me, I hear the electric fan kick on, the engine rpm dips for a second and the motor slightly stumbles. I can feel, see and hear it. Probably not an issue on a v8 but it does put a load on the motor when it kicks on.

I've never seen my motor rpm's dip and stumple because the fan kicks on. I've never seen that with all the factory V8 cars with electric fans either....maybe if something had a puny 38 amp alternator or something. 7-15 hp is a lot to me.

Does it bug you when the fan roars when the fan clutch engages at WOT when the engines hot?

Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: Quicksilver440] #1395077
03/02/13 11:58 AM
03/02/13 11:58 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Daytona, Different strokes for different folks. You don't like electric fans, that's cool. it's your car, do as you want.

but when a guy comes on here asking about electric fans because that's what he wants to run...arguing that mechanical fans work fine and that's all he needs to do is run a mechanical...seems kind of silly.

Some of us LIKE the efficiency of electric fans. Again...mechanical runs ALL THE TIME. even when you're running down the highway at 70 mph. do you need the mechanical fan to cool down your headers and your carb when you're driving down the road? at that point, the mechanical fan becomes an unnecessary load on the engine. it's not needed, but you can't shut it off.

Electric fans, again only run when you need them to. I've not ever had an issue while idling or driving in stop and go traffic in town, where my carb got too hot to cause me problems, and if that was seriously an issue, I doubt so many people would be running electric fans on their carburated engines.

You don't like electric fans due to a list of reasons. got it. noted. thanks! did you provide any answer to the guys question though?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1395078
03/02/13 12:02 PM
03/02/13 12:02 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
...the engine stumbles when the heavy load is put onto the alternator when the electric fan kicks on. --that's an indication of how much power it takes to move the air, and how much of a load is on your engine FULL TIME due to a mechanical fan, that you have to adjust for in your tune-up. think of all that extra fuel you're burning up spinning that fan all that time when you don't really need it.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1395079
03/02/13 02:18 PM
03/02/13 02:18 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
what would be your estimate of the percent of your radiator that is covered by the two electric fan's ?

are they fitted to one shroud
with two fan openings that covers the entire radiator,
or do they each have a separate individual shroud?

Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: 360view] #1395080
03/02/13 04:37 PM
03/02/13 04:37 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

what would be your estimate of the percent of your radiator that is covered by the two electric fan's ?

are they fitted to one shroud
with two fan openings that covers the entire radiator,
or do they each have a separate individual shroud?

The majority of the radiator needs to be covered by the fan shrouds. If it's not covered it's capacity is wasted. That would be like taking a radiator and sticking it in your trunk.

Since the pusher fan was brought up earlier I will mention that it's a bad idea to rely on a pusher fan for primary cooling. They work well for additional cooling but only at low speed or when the car is stationary.
Most fans can not move air faster than the car does at highway speeds. The air ends up getting blocked by the fan and your car can actually heat up.
When I tried twin pusher fans the car ran hotter on the highway with the fans on.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: 360view] #1395081
03/02/13 04:46 PM
03/02/13 04:46 PM
West Palm Beach, Florida
Copper Dart Offline
pro stock
Copper Dart  Offline
pro stock

West Palm Beach, Florida
I too am leaning electric fans to cool my 500hp +/- '70 swinger 440 auto on the street.
Champion has a very pretty 26" 3 row with dual fans. if the fans are inadequate i will upgrade them to a oem fan set-up. the shroud covers the entire rad core.

Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes
Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: 360view] #1395082
03/03/13 10:12 AM
03/03/13 10:12 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
some of the Lexus V8s in the 1990s
had power steering pump return flows
running radiator fans with hydraulic motors

aside from the danger from leaks
that was an interesting idea

Re: Size of electric cooling fan(s). Amp draw? airflow? [Re: 360view] #1395083
03/03/13 11:07 PM
03/03/13 11:07 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

some of the Lexus V8s in the 1990s
had power steering pump return flows
running radiator fans with hydraulic motors

aside from the danger from leaks
that was an interesting idea

If you had to deal with those hydraulic fans and associated leaks you would not find them very interesting.
Those systems were such a mess some people would come in with a drawing of the hose routing to describe what they wanted. We knew what it was immediately.

- Stu Harmon
Page 2 of 2 1 2